Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

We seem to have spells in the games, where we are put under enormous pressure. Better teams will finish us off. BR seems slow to react to change things, when this happens. 
Should have been much easier today.

Almost every single team, in every single competition have spells when they are out under pressure in a game - remember there are two teams playing! 
Let’s be honest it was pretty comfortable today, yes they pulled one back, but after that, I never thought they looked like scoring.

Both teams had 2 or 3 chances outside of the goals, we probably had the best chance with Iheanacho.

Taking into consideration, we had a tough game midweek and 3 of the players involved haven’t played much football at all this season, I thought it was a great performance. 
BR set us up well to play on the front foot from the off and made the subs that needed to be made within the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Almost every single team, in every single competition have spells when they are out under pressure in a game - remember there are two teams playing! 
Let’s be honest it was pretty comfortable today, yes they pulled one back, but after that, I never thought they looked like scoring.

Both teams had 2 or 3 chances outside of the goals, we probably had the best chance with Iheanacho.

Taking into consideration, we had a tough game midweek and 3 of the players involved haven’t played much football at all this season, I thought it was a great performance. 
BR set us up well to play on the front foot from the off and made the subs that needed to be made within the game.

Kasper had to make two very good saves. A great strike from TC and a free kick from JM. What else did we do? 

3 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Kasper had to make two very good saves. A great strike from TC and a free kick from JM. What else did we do? 

Iheanacho should have buried his chance and we had 2 or 3 other phases of play where a proper chance should have opened up (Justin twice and Barnes) but other than that we didn't, we seldom do. It's why we are the xG abomination week in, week out.

7 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Fair play to him I, like many others questioned his ability to turn things around when it looked like we were on a serious slide. However, surely now we have moved from seeing “green shoots”, to a veritable upturn in performance and results. We’re not the complete package yet in terms of performing as well as we have in the past couple of years but we are getting back to “our level” as Rodgers would call it. 

The season isn’t over, and ultimately come the end of the season we will end up with what we deserve league position and trophy wise. If we can finish the season strongly, Rodgers will have proved that he, is, capable of halting the slide and turning things around. Which potentially sets the ground work for hopefully another productive season next year.

:brendan:

So he should halt the slide, we have a far better squad than most teams in the Premiership, regardless of injuries and shouldn't have been in the position we were in table wise in the first place. He's not doing really well, he's merely now starting to gradually get nearer to where he should be getting the team in the first place. 

All round it wasn't a bad performance today and there were some real positives. Mendy and Castagne for me played really well for example. 

However, Rodgers nearly sabotaged it! I get that he wanted Evans to get some minutes and also go easy on Castagne and manage a player coming back from injury (for a change) but ... by putting Armarty at right back, it essentially, as usual with him there, just gave us three centre halves and no right back or indeed anyone on the right whatsoever! At least JJ had been a little bit of a threat. It caused us obvious problems. It could have gone horribly wrong. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

He won’t go anywhere now for this season. This little run of form increases the chances of him getting a job elsewhere mind. 

I think to his credit, there’s clearly been a conversation about rotation and if a player has a hint of an injury, they are not risked. The Arsenal game was a well calculated risk. Tough decision for the Man U game if you do similar - for example Youri won’t have no rest. Neither will our striking options. 

It’s the hardest part of management when you are in a slump and have to regain a players attention to work harder. Somehow he’s managed it. The work rate has been superb in the last month. Defenders are now properly defending. Would have been easy to give in after Wolves / West Ham. That performance in Rennes was the exact opposite of what occurred in Warsaw. Thrives within the atmosphere and didn’t shrink. Sort of stuff you are happy to watch. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Iheanacho should have buried his chance and we had 2 or 3 other phases of play where a proper chance should have opened up (Justin twice and Barnes) but other than that we didn't, we seldom do. It's why we are the xG abomination week in, week out.

Since our Xg has dropped, we’ve started to win some games ……

we were too open nov/dec  as we made the call that we couldn’t defend so we may as well make it a game of basketball 

even though we look to have lost todays Xg game (1.72 to 1.28), 0.75 of their total is from the sequence where mbuemo is actually offside when he heads and kasper saves …..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Iheanacho had two great chances and Barnes had a great chance which he scuffed from a Madders free kick.

We also had the chance where Iheanacho and Justin got in each other’s way. A couple more half chances too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We could have won by 3 or 4.

Weird how our own fans want to put us down at times.

Brentford had no clear cut chances.

That’s really not true - the header at the back post should have been buried. As mentioned before, the easier header was offside so would have been ruled out by var …

Just now, st albans fox said:

That’s really not true - the header at the back post should have been buried. As mentioned before, the easier header was offside so would have been ruled out by var …

Header at the back post was not clear cut.

We had plenty of chances like that ourselves - Barnes from the free kick as an example.

Tony is a good striker and didnt really have a sniff.

• Haha 1

**** me sideways how much was Barnes jadded today and he still stayed on the full match. 

I don't work with Barnes day in, day out but come on Brendan he should of been subbed. 

Also that KDH sub another day would of cost us big time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueharmie said:

**** me sideways how much was Barnes jadded today and he still stayed on the full match. 

I don't work with Barnes day in, day out but come on Brendan he should of been subbed. 

So could have keeping him on and seeing him sent off for a second booking or picking an injury up due to fatigue.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2022 at 20:45, desertfox2 said:

Fofana scores and runs straight to BR. For me we have to give him the summer to get the squad sorted and see where we are at the turn of the year. I do think it's vitally important that we have someone overseeing the new signings though, he can't be solely in charge of that process. His skills are in coaching and man management not transfers. It's a shame we couldn't have Claude Puel to pick players as DOF/chief scout and BR to coach them. 

He’d be buying Gray back to replace Vardy 😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

Un**** you sideways (other ways are available but probably undesirable).

Barnes is a player who might miss much of the time but when he hits, Barnes will tear you apart.  A bit like Mahrez did.  He may have looked a bit jaded but one moment...

KDH was full on.  And had a yellow card.

FYI, we won.  The tactics were successful today.  2-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Header at the back post was not clear cut.

We had plenty of chances like that ourselves - Barnes from the free kick as an example.

Tony is a good striker and didnt really have a sniff.

Er, blue coloured spectacles, much? :blink:

That far post header was a massive chance from a couple of yards out. Xg would have been very high. Barnes could have 20 goes at that free kick move from Maddison and maybe score it once. Give me strength... 

We were promising a few times but kept buggering up the final ball, so couldn't create chances. They had several good chances. Look at the basic match stats, ffs! 

37 minutes ago, Flappit said:

Er, blue coloured spectacles, much? :blink:

That far post header was a massive chance from a couple of yards out. Xg would have been very high. Barnes could have 20 goes at that free kick move from Maddison and maybe score it once. Give me strength... 

We were promising a few times but kept buggering up the final ball, so couldn't create chances. They had several good chances. Look at the basic match stats, ffs! 

Really don’t agree with this, he panicked and fluffed it. If he concentrates he should be hitting the target and scoring from that range. He could have taken a touch it wasn’t exactly fizzed in at him

page 666, and Brendan has turned it around, by the looks of it. Even some of the recent criticisms on his selection/subs seem to be partly caused by fitness issues (Sharky/Lookman etc).

He has had a bit of a nightmare season, but we can still have a good run in.

5 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Iheanacho had two great chances and Barnes had a great chance which he scuffed from a Madders free kick.

We also had the chance where Iheanacho and Justin got in each other’s way. A couple more half chances too.

Any more sane talk like that and you'll get a warning point!

Too be fair to Rodgers we have managed to go on a fairly decent run of form recently, although we have had a couple of defeats mixed in there, overall it has been a welcome turn which has seen us move up the table and again be looking at teams we can chase down rather than teams at the bottom who could catch us and in addition to that we have managed to come through a difficult 2 legged ECL tie against a very good Rennes side. 

I still have nagging doubts about how he manages players workloads and how that has contributed to our injury woes and also how much influence and power he will retain on the recruitment side, but he is getting results on the pitch at this moment.

7 hours ago, blueharmie said:

Subbed for who?