Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Reliant on Rodgers? How do you mean? 

He’s the manager

He’s the one who’s got to turn us around enough to make us an attractive club to manage again. We are not going to attract anyone better at this moment in time, so it’s back to him to sort this out, get us looking like a decent outfit again before his time here ends and we go on the manager hunt again. 

3 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Absolutely ridiculous comment 

I do expect us to put up a fight against Forest and Warsaw though. 

He should have put "some of" in there of course. The current table shows you that money talks ,the usual suspects occupy the top six. Our future problem might be competing with the spending power of Villa ,West Ham and Newcastle. The owners are going to have to take some extended risk I reckon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He should have put "some of" in there of course. The current table shows you that money talks ,the usual suspects occupy the top six. Our future problem might be competing with the spending power of Villa ,West Ham and Newcastle. The owners are going to have to take some extended risk I reckon.

Either way it felt like a comment towards me. I couldn’t give a monkeys really if we finish CL or not. I’m not a Sky Sports Top 4 Chase fan. But I do want to see us play good entertaining football, and us to dominate teams in divisions lower than us (or equivalent) 

Thats not a lot to ask for really. Not with a manager on the salary he’s on, with the players we have. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Really don’t agree with this, he panicked and fluffed it. If he concentrates he should be hitting the target and scoring from that range. He could have taken a touch it wasn’t exactly fizzed in at him

I agree Barnes was definitely not at it in the Match, a bad day at the office for him

16 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Either way it felt like a comment towards me.

really wasnt, chillout. I cba to scroll up but im confident enough to know it wasnt written to single anyone out.

Edited by Simoken

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Hes demonstrating he's still got the players and I was sceptical that it was just players that were the issue but the performances got better just before key players got fit and now we look a much better proposition.

Our squad when everyone is fit is very good. He needs to work out how to keep everyone fit though.

10 hours ago, Flappit said:

Er, blue coloured spectacles, much? :blink:

That far post header was a massive chance from a couple of yards out. Xg would have been very high. Barnes could have 20 goes at that free kick move from Maddison and maybe score it once. Give me strength... 

We were promising a few times but kept buggering up the final ball, so couldn't create chances. They had several good chances. Look at the basic match stats, ffs! 

Far post header was a massive chance, they didn't take, yeah. But almost every away side, in every game, has one good chance per game.

Kelechi missed a one on one. I could have mentiond that, but didn't. Justin took one right off of Kelechi which I feel Kelechi would have scored.

You're looking at one good Brentford chance yet not looking at any of ours.

As I mentioned, I rate Ivan Toney, and he has scored 5 goals in their last 2 games yet he didn't get one single chance.

So, yeah, errrrrrr

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes demonstrating he's still got the players and I was sceptical that it was just players that were the issue but the performances got better just before key players got fit and now we look a much better proposition.

Our squad when everyone is fit is very good. He needs to work out how to keep everyone fit though.

Spot on. It's all pretty much futile if he can't keep the squad fit and that's what plenty that resolutely defend Rodgers refuse to acknowledge.

He must take some credit though for the recent upturn in results because it would have been very easy for the under performance to have continued even with players coming back. He has largely managed to keep the players mentality and confidence at a decent level and they evidently still believe in him.

The club cannot ignore the chronic injury issues though, it has and will have a huge impact on our aspirations and ultimately if Rodgers just isn't compatible with keeping a squad fit with his methods then his suitability to continue long term will remain under scrutiny.

We don't have endless finances to buy our way out of this relentless issue, we have tirelessly and meticulously built this foundation and squad in which Rodgers has inherited and improved without question. But we lose that momentum, we lose the conveyor belt of cashing in on a high value player who we believe is replaceable and use the funds to strengthen the overall side and things start to become a lot harder.

What we've built here in the 5 or 6 years is very finely poised, we simply cannot take the hit of half a dozen or more injuries to key players for large chunks of the season and cope and its incredibly naive to bat it off as bad luck and that everything will be OK. 

Thankfully I trust Top and the board even if they are far more patient than I am, but that's a good thing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Too be fair to Rodgers we have managed to go on a fairly decent run of form recently, although we have had a couple of defeats mixed in there, overall it has been a welcome turn which has seen us move up the table and again be looking at teams we can chase down rather than teams at the bottom who could catch us and in addition to that we have managed to come through a difficult 2 legged ECL tie against a very good Rennes side. 

I still have nagging doubts about how he manages players workloads and how that has contributed to our injury woes and also how much influence and power he will retain on the recruitment side, but he is getting results on the pitch at this moment.

...you do get the impression that a lot of weight has been lifted off him by the club, seemingly taking some responsibilities off his hand!!!

Very big change in set up for opposition corners and the players embracing the "dark arts" where game management  and influencing the referee is concerned. 

I would surmise his sole remit is to coach and get the best out of a talented squad of players. Now that it seems the club has attempted to mitigate his contributions in certain areas, we might start to feel confident enough with him still being at the helm.

Whoever it is that he is now taking advice from, I hope that person sticks around.

• Like 3

I do think it will be interesting to see how it we do in the upcoming palace and villa games to get a more accurate gauge of where we are at. I must say I have been pretty impressed with the relative turnaround in form despite some sticky performances. PSV will be no walk in the park. 

31 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'd hardly call Rodgers or Arteta elite coaches. Arteta has potential for the future, Rodgers never has and never will be, far too flawed.

The PL is the highest (elite) level of football in England, so any one of the 20 managers in the PL can be called an Elite level manager.

They are not using it as a term to describe their ability, but rather the level they manage at.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The PL is the highest (elite) level of football in England, so any one of the 20 managers in the PL can be called an Elite level manager.

They are not using it as a term to describe their ability, but rather the level they manage at.

The article referred to specifically states 'elite' coaches, not 'elite level' otherwise I wouldn't have commented. Klopp could go and manage Grimsby and still be an elite coach. Don't know who the current Grimsby manager is but I doubt he's elite ... but who knows, he too may be in the future 🤣

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

The article referred to specifically states 'elite' coaches, not 'elite level' otherwise I wouldn't have commented. Klopp could go and manage Grimsby and still be an elite coach. Don't know who the current Grimsby manager is but I doubt he's elite ... but who knows, he too may be in the future 🤣

They are elite because they coach at a elite level, anything else is just opinion in my view. 

Sometimes you just have to let go of your dislike for BR and don't get triggered. 

Is BR on a level with Klopp, Pep, Conte, Tuchel , of course not. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 10:08, Ric Flair said:

Spot on. It's all pretty much futile if he can't keep the squad fit and that's what plenty that resolutely defend Rodgers refuse to acknowledge.

He must take some credit though for the recent upturn in results because it would have been very easy for the under performance to have continued even with players coming back. He has largely managed to keep the players mentality and confidence at a decent level and they evidently still believe in him.

The club cannot ignore the chronic injury issues though, it has and will have a huge impact on our aspirations and ultimately if Rodgers just isn't compatible with keeping a squad fit with his methods then his suitability to continue long term will remain under scrutiny.

We don't have endless finances to buy our way out of this relentless issue, we have tirelessly and meticulously built this foundation and squad in which Rodgers has inherited and improved without question. But we lose that momentum, we lose the conveyor belt of cashing in on a high value player who we believe is replaceable and use the funds to strengthen the overall side and things start to become a lot harder.

What we've built here in the 5 or 6 years is very finely poised, we simply cannot take the hit of half a dozen or more injuries to key players for large chunks of the season and cope and its incredibly naive to bat it off as bad luck and that everything will be OK. 

Thankfully I trust Top and the board even if they are far more patient than I am, but that's a good thing.

You are right. Patience is required. Brendan does take some responsibility but so do the senior management and the board. I am sure they are on to this but they and we need to see improvement. They will or should have mechanisms and a framework to measure this. Like many aspects I wish they would communicate and share more with us. This would benefit all parties but it is not yet common in football management. 

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the elite manager or big club debates but I think to be classed as ‘elite’ you have to be practically flawless. I’d argue that there are less than 5 coaches in the world right now who could be classed in that very top echelon. 

Edited by kingkisnorbo

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Do you ever feel like your banging your head against a brick wall?

• Like 2

Fair play to him.

I think he's slowly but surely turning it around.

Although I think Manager of the Month nominations are a bit unwarranted right now in terms of Premier League. He's been good without being that good.

• Like 1