Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

20 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the elite manager or big club debates but I think to be classed as ‘elite’ you have to be practically flawless. I’d argue that there are less than 5 coaches in the world right now who could be classed in that very top echelon. 

Nagelsmann already managing at the very top and he is donkey's years younger than Rodgers and even younger than Vardy. He is elite now but will it last?

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

Nagelsmann already managing at the very top and he is donkey's years younger than Rodgers and even younger than Vardy. He is elite now but will it last?

I think even a Nagelsmann has some work to do to be in that top bracket. Needs to win a champions league at Bayern imo. 

Isn't it funny how those deemed elite on here happen to be at the top clubs in their leagues, i'm sure Warnock, Big Sam & Steve Bruce would look better than they are managing Man City & Bayern..is it a simple case of at the biggest club therefore must be elite?
As he's/it's mentioned could Klopp go to Grimsby & get them up to the Premier Lge with their resources, you could argue Pearson is an elite manager as he got a club from 3rd tier of English football to the top tier?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I don’t necessarily subscribe to the elite manager or big club debates but I think to be classed as ‘elite’ you have to be practically flawless. I’d argue that there are less than 5 coaches in the world right now who could be classed in that very top echelon. 

Absolutely agree.

There's no chance anyone could argue with a straight face that Rodgers is or ever was an elite manager in my opinion.

For me, there are only 3 right now and they're Klopp, Pep and Simeone.

There are plenty who have the potential to be "elite" such as Zidane, Ten Hag, Pochettino, Nagelsmann, Flick and Tuchel. There are plenty of managers who were "elite" such as Ancelotti, Conte, Allegri and Mourinho. There are loads of managers who will have spells where they border the "elite" without stepping into that territory such as Rodgers, Gasperini, Lopetegui, Galtier, Rangnick, Bielsa etc.

Clubs like Leicester will only ever attract or have managers from the "Never was elite, never will be, might get close" category. Such as Rodgers.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Isn't it funny how those deemed elite on here happen to be at the top clubs in their leagues, i'm sure Warnock, Big Sam & Steve Bruce would look better than they are managing Man City & Bayern..is it a simple case of at the biggest club therefore must be elite?
As he's/it's mentioned could Klopp go to Grimsby & get them up to the Premier Lge with their resources, you could argue Pearson is an elite manager as he got a club from 3rd tier of English football to the top tier?

I think it's the other way around.

They're at top clubs because they're elite managers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

You've got it back to front, they're at the top clubs because they're the best managers in the world, they're not the best managers because they're at the top clubs. Look at the difference between Chelsea under Lampard and Tuchel, liverpool under klopp vs under rodgers, pep's man city vs Pellegrini's man city, look at Barca under xavi now after having a string of mediocre managers.

I'm sure that grimsby town under Klopp/pep would instantly fire up the leagues, they're the equivalent of cristiano/messi in managing over the last decade, they're born for it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s the one thing I’d love to see in football, a really top manager say Klopp or Pep, just go feck it! I’ve got enough money, I’m going to prove I’m the greatest ever.

Turn up at Grimsby and go, you know what let’s fecking have it, and see what they could do, with the resources they have available. Could a Klopp take Grimsby from the conference to the PL in 5 seasons with the resources they have and with a similar level of investment to other clubs they are competing against.

Agree, it would be great to see something like this. I'm sure they would make a massive difference but for rising from the Conference to the PL I think the answer is no. Without the resources and investment of other "bigger" clubs around them I don't think they would be able to do it.

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s the one thing I’d love to see in football, a really top manager say Klopp or Pep, just go feck it! I’ve got enough money, I’m going to prove I’m the greatest ever.

Turn up at Grimsby and go, you know what let’s fecking have it, and see what they could do, with the resources they have available. Could a Klopp take Grimsby from the conference to the PL in 5 seasons with the resources they have and with a similar level of investment to other clubs they are competing against.

....I would love to see that as well, a bit like a player in his twilight of his career deciding he wants to play for his childhood club!!!

After awhile it stops being about money and for these managers it is all about reputation. 

You have to finish at the top of the tree otherwise you are no longer a part of the conversation, of who was the best.

47 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Agree, it would be great to see something like this. I'm sure they would make a massive difference but for rising from the Conference to the PL I think the answer is no. Without the resources and investment of other "bigger" clubs around them I don't think they would be able to do it.

...you overlook the media interest, the fight between sponsors to be part of it all and the players, young and old gravitating to be coached by him!!!

Every league he wins would generate more money, the longer it goes on, the better the younger players he has coached becomes, more experienced players on the fringe of bigger clubs would want to take a chance and be part of it, it all becomes a snowball.

10 hours ago, honeybradger said:

You've got it back to front, they're at the top clubs because they're the best managers in the world, they're not the best managers because they're at the top clubs. Look at the difference between Chelsea under Lampard and Tuchel, liverpool under klopp vs under rodgers, pep's man city vs Pellegrini's man city, look at Barca under xavi now after having a string of mediocre managers.

I'm sure that grimsby town under Klopp/pep would instantly fire up the leagues, they're the equivalent of cristiano/messi in managing over the last decade, they're born for it.

Mancini for Italy :P

There are two sorts of managers who succeed , the driving, motivating types who show leadership skills like Klopp and Tuchell , neither of whom were great footballers. Then the technical , tactical types like Guardiola and Arteta , both of whom were excellent footballers. Rodgers is not really in either of those boxes. it has to be said though that great players like Rooney, Baggio, Moore, Baresi ,Charlton and probably Lampard rarely make successful managers.

Edited by An Sionnach

I’m curious where people are at with Brendan? What do we need to see to restore the faith? I think if he keeps up this trajectory I would be inclined to give him another go, but I also wouldn’t be disappointed if we didn’t. 

I do genuinely want him to do well because for the most part he does things the right way and the huge thing for him, is that the players never stop trying for him. 

He seems to have clearly had a bit of a rethink on injuries and game management but perhaps this is down to the lack of importance on the league at this stage. 

But the question mark remains will the bottle ever be there in the tough moments. I think it’s the pressure of having something to lose that we struggle with, rather than necessarily a big occasion. 

Fa cup final against Chelsea, we played without fear. So it’s not like we can’t prepare for big games. 

I hope we can have a strong end to the campaign and all get behind him again if we do. But the war wounds from forest in particular are tough to recover from. 

Edited by Lambert09

12 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Ive done it several times on Football Manager :cool:

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

There are two sorts of managers who succeed , the driving, motivating types who show leadership skills like Klopp and Tuchell , neither of whom were great footballers. Then the technical , tactical types like Guardiola and Arteta , both of whom were excellent footballers. Rodgers is not really in either of those boxes. it has to be said though that great players like Rooney, Baggio, Moore, Baresi ,Charlton and probably Lampard rarely make successful managers.

Rodgers was a footballer, but he suffered a career ending injury at a very young age and went into management.

21 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Klopp took over Dortmund and Liverpool sides that were nowhere near challenging for titles. I believe both were sat in 8th place when he took charge. At Dortmund he won back-to-back titles, broke Bayern's dynasty and reached a champions league final where they were narrowly beaten in extra time. He got Liverpool back into the champions league during his first full season, has reached two champions league finals, one a champions league in the same season where they racked up a points total in the league which would have seen them as champions in almost any other season and then won the league. For me, he's the best manager in the world. 

15 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Klopp took over Dortmund and Liverpool sides that were nowhere near challenging for titles. I believe both were sat in 8th place when he took charge. At Dortmund he won back-to-back titles, broke Bayern's dynasty and reached a champions league final where they were narrowly beaten in extra time. He got Liverpool back into the champions league during his first full season, has reached two champions league finals, one a champions league in the same season where they racked up a points total in the league which would have seen them as champions in almost any other season and then won the league. For me, he's the best manager in the world. 

.....with some of the best players in the world :dunno: but yes he's a good manager

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

.....with some of the best players in the world :dunno: but yes he's a good manager

Liverpool really didn't have the best players in the world when he took charge. They were bang average. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dames said:

Liverpool really didn't have the best players in the world when he took charge. They were bang average. 

In general Liverpool have been very good in the market. They moved on Suarez and Coutinho for £200 million and have bought some excellent players. Whether that is down to Klopp I wouldn',t know but he has a very good team ethic , it is not just about individuals. The opposite of Man Utd. in fact.

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

In general Liverpool have been very good in the market. They moved on Suarez and Coutinho for £200 million and have bought some excellent players. Whether that is down to Klopp I wouldn',t know but he has a very good team ethic , it is not just about individuals. The opposite of Man Utd. in fact.

The DoF Michael Edwards is largely attributed with the quality of that squad. He moved in Salah even though Klopp didn’t fancy him. He’s moving on now I believe, possibly to Real Madrid. 

Edited by kingkisnorbo

6 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I’m curious where people are at with Brendan? What do we need to see to restore the faith? I think if he keeps up this trajectory I would be inclined to give him another go, but I also wouldn’t be disappointed if we didn’t. 

I do genuinely want him to do well because for the most part he does things the right way and the huge thing for him, is that the players never stop trying for him. 

He seems to have clearly had a bit of a rethink on injuries and game management but perhaps this is down to the lack of importance on the league at this stage. 

But the question mark remains will the bottle ever be there in the tough moments. I think it’s the pressure of having something to lose that we struggle with, rather than necessarily a big occasion. 

Fa cup final against Chelsea, we played without fear. So it’s not like we can’t prepare for big games. 

I hope we can have a strong end to the campaign and all get behind him again if we do. But the war wounds from forest in particular are tough to recover from. 

I've been on the fence for the most part of this season, but I'm happy for BR to stay now.

Two of my biggest concerns were injuries and recruitment, but there's good signs that both are being dealt with. It does seem like Rodgers is being much more cautious re: reintroducing recovering players back into the team in recent weeks. Congerton leaving could signal that the higher ups are wrestling back control of recruitment, as well. If the board have spoken to BR about disappointing signings, then he wouldn't really have a leg to stand on if, as I strongly suspect, Bertrand and Vestergaard were mainly down to him.

The biggest positive for me, though, is that performances and results have been much improved lately. We've been in a huge slump this season, and I don't think it's a common occurrence for a manager to get their team out of something like that. I think that's a very reassuring sign that the players are still listening.

I don't hope for much this season, but there is still a trophy and a decent league finish to play for. I am optimistic for next season, though. If we can have a decent transfer window, and keep more players injury-free, then I think there's a good chance we'll be much better off this time next year.

• Like 3