Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

Have you noticed how for months it was nothing to do with injuries . he was just a crap manager but now our defenders are back, he's "learning"?

The defence Saturday was no better than it has been most of the season in terms of personnel on the pitch really. 

2 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

I'd lay a pound to a penny that Brendan doesn't employ the doctors at your club. I don't think most clubs allow the manager to hire the club staff. 

Well we were sacking them at his request, so his influence will be more than you think. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Well we were sacking them at his request, so his influence will be more than you think. 

Possibly because they might be responsible for your injury crisis, the likes of which he's never had at the last three clubs he was at. 

• Haha 1

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Whilst xG doesn't tell the whole story it's a pretty reasonable indicator of general play and it makes absolutely grim reading for us. We've actually conceded fewer goals than we should have and we're being massively bailed out by individual quality going forward.

Does show that it's not just the injuries to the defence that have cost us and that we've been pretty poor offensively.

Rodgers has still.wo  the FA Cup and has still achieved two fifth placed finishes.

I think that 60 points is the minimum we should be aiming at each season.  That has to become 70 if we are competing for Europe. It seems like we will finish in  the 50s. The injuries need factoring in.  VAR has robbed us of several points and given us few.

He has credit in the bank.   A decent end to the season should mean Rodgers is given a deserved chance to lead us into next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Whilst xG doesn't tell the whole story it's a pretty reasonable indicator of general play and it makes absolutely grim reading for us. We've actually conceded fewer goals than we should have and we're being massively bailed out by individual quality going forward.

Does show that it's not just the injuries to the defence that have cost us and that we've been pretty poor offensively.

Any stat that give me the same chance of put the ball in the net as C.Ronldo is overrated. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

That would be most teams, wouldn't it? Where would Liverpool be without Salah? Or Spurs without Son or Kane?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The defence Saturday was no better than it has been most of the season in terms of personnel on the pitch really. 

Think thats being a little disingenuous as the defence unit as whole is now more deep, the return of players breeds confidence, its not 100% about the players out there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

You've scored the 5th-most non set piece goals in the league. Vardy has only scored 9 of them. You're also 7th top scorers overall. 

Only 15 league goals have come from 4 players combined in that time. We are not as free flowing or free goalscoring as we should be given the quality of our attack. 

• Like 2

You've scored the 5th-most non set piece goals in the league. Vardy has only scored 9 of them. You're also 7th top scorers overall. 

How many goals from open play have we scored without Vardy playing though? Not just goals scored by Vardy.

It's certainly something we can look to improve on, but it's often been a noticeable drop off. We've not scored 3 in a league game in 2022, we don't score enough away from home this season either and that's one of the reasons why we've shown relegation form away. Our home results are mightily impressive in recent months.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think thats being a little disingenuous as the defence unit as whole is now more deep, the return of players breeds confidence, its not 100% about the players out there

Having Fofana on the bench makes Soyuncu perform better? Bit of a stretch. He was just dog shit backup or no backup. We are just more solid with a three in the middle.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Only 15 league goals have come from 4 players combined in that time. We are not as free flowing or free goalscoring as we should be given the quality of our attack. 

I bet if you looked it up, you'd find that every club has the same distribution of goals to players

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

How many goals from open play have we scored without Vardy playing though? Not just goals scored by Vardy.

It's certainly something we can look to improve on, but it's often been a noticeable drop off. We've not scored 3 in a league game in 2022, we don't score enough away from home this season either and that's one of the reasons why we've shown relegation form away. Our home results are mightily impressive in recent months.

If I remember correctly, I believe it's 27 non set piece league goals from players other than Vardy. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Having Fofana on the bench makes Soyuncu perform better? Bit of a stretch. He was just dog shit backup or no backup. We are just more solid with a three in the middle.

Each to their own, but if you feel bearing the sole responsibility rather than knowing the defence has cover makes no difference, then I guess we have a different outlook

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

If I remember correctly, I believe it's 27 non set piece league goals from players other than Vardy. 

That's not what I asked, it was how many goals have we as a team scored from open play when Vardy isn't playing. It's everything he does as a player that helps us score goals.

I'm fairly happy with how we are doing in recent weeks, there's certainly been a marked improvement defensively and we've had some welcome returns from players. Going forward we could do a bit more, one of them being get Maddison back more central behind the striker as he's so dangerous in those areas and usually our most reliable player to score goals for us bar the obvious. Our away form still needs huge improvements though, starting on Thursday otherwise it's likely going to lead to a poor season by our standards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's not what I asked, it was how many goals have we as a team scored from open play when Vardy isn't playing. It's everything he does as a player that helps us score goals.

I'm fairly happy with how we are doing in recent weeks, there's certainly been a marked improvement defensively and we've had some welcome returns from players. Going forward we could do a bit more, one of them being get Maddison back more central behind the striker as he's so dangerous in those areas and usually our most reliable player to score goals for us bar the obvious. Our away form still needs huge improvements though, starting on Thursday otherwise it's likely going to lead to a poor season by our standards.

My misunderstanding. Should be relatively easy to find out though!

1 minute ago, Guest454545 said:

My misunderstanding. Should be relatively easy to find out though!

Just looked and actually you may have a point.

We've scored 15 in 11 when he's not played vs 23 in 16 when he has. 1.36 a game when he hasn't played vs 1.44 when he has. Still feels like we're not quite as attacking as we used to be but that's understandable to a degree. Now we seem to be more settled defensively I'd like to see us increase our attacking capacity, away from home we can be very workmanlike.

For a team who under Rodgers have scored 4+ goals a game over 20 times in 3 seasons I think we're long overdue a couple more, even 3 in a league game would be very welcome. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Exactly, the improvement started before anyone decent returned!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest454545 said:

That would be most teams, wouldn't it? Where would Liverpool be without Salah? Or Spurs without Son or Kane?

Think Salah is actually below his expected xG though? So he's underperforming on chance conversion in that case. Same with Mane, Jota, Kane, Ronaldo. Son the only one who's massively outperforming it.

My point is that it gives you a good indication on the quality of chances a team is creating on average. %wise we have scored way more goals than we should have done based chances created. The blame seems to be laid solely on the defence and injuries there but stats like these show that we haven't been creating much of the season and we're lucky that the attacking players are taking their chances when they get them. A lot of the frustration aimed at the team has been about how lethargic, imprecise and lacking intent that our build up play has been.

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

Think Salah is actually below his expected xG though? So he's underperforming on chance conversion in that case. Same with Mane, Jota, Kane, Ronaldo. Son the only one who's massively outperforming it.

My point is that it gives you a good indication on the quality of chances a team is creating on average. %wise we have scored way more goals than we should have done based chances created. The blame seems to be laid solely on the defence and injuries there but stats like these show that we haven't been creating much of the season and we're lucky that the attacking players are taking their chances when they get them. A lot of the frustration aimed at the team has been about how lethargic, imprecise and lacking intent that our build up play has been.

But surely the injury crisis in defense, plus the loss off your best striker, forced Brendan to try to focus more on the defensive numbers, which impacted your attack? Is the trend noticeable last season, season before and season before? Or is it exclusive to this season?

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Instead of playing 2 games a week,Soyunchu had just had 2 games off.

• Like 2

But surely the injury crisis in defense, plus the loss off your best striker, forced Brendan to try to focus more on the defensive numbers, which impacted your attack? Is the trend noticeable last season, season before and season before? Or is it exclusive to this season?

Well we were also a long way ahead based in xG last season, so yes there is a clear trend, and this is where xG is useful; when taken over a whole season.

If that was the case then why did we concede so many and still create very little. It shows that's we've plenty of quality players and the manager has done a poor job of getting the best from the team as a whole.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

We have but his performance to seem to have got a little better as the season has worn on.

45 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We have but his performance to seem to have got a little better as the season has worn on.

So have everyones with the inclusion of an extra work horse CM once he'd bedded in. 

• Thanks 1