Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Fair play to him. Got to a point I thought his race had been run.

Always liked him but thought it was time for a change and couldn't see a way back. 

Recent form and the return of key players has got me back on side and long may it continue. Happy to continue to be proved wrong, I'm used to it!

• Like 1

Really pleased he's come through the rough patch and shown he can change. I'd never written him off and felt he had enough credit in the bank. 

Even if we struggle against Roma and finish 10th - he's delivered us what fans up and down the country would sell their mums to see. We've had great European nights and memories none of us will ever forget, when we thought we were facing a 14th place finish and going out with a whimper. We're in the position now where it's uncharted territory and we can just enjoy it. 

I have to say, I don't think this would be our last European tour, if he sticks around. 

• Like 2

I'll admit, I said only a few months ago that in the summer we should probably part ways with Brendan. However, if we win this, give him a contract for life! I don't give a fck if it's the 3rd tier of European football, if he wins the fa Cup, the community shield and the europa conference in a year then he gets a lifetime contract! My hunger for trophies outweighs some of the ghastly football we've seen over the past 12 months! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Really pleased he's come through the rough patch and shown he can change. I'd never written him off and felt he had enough credit in the bank. 

Even if we struggle against Roma and finish 10th - he's delivered us what fans up and down the country would sell their mums to see. We've had great European nights and memories none of us will ever forget, when we thought we were facing a 14th place finish and going out with a whimper. We're in the position now where it's uncharted territory and we can just enjoy it. 

I have to say, I don't think this would be our last European tour, if he sticks around. 

Same here. I was disappointed with his stubbornness when he refused to turn to certain players while sticking to his favourites at all costs and regardless of form. I started to believe again when there were signs he sees what we see and is humble enough to learn, eg. when he dropped Maddison earlier in the year (and has since dropped Maddison as sole designated dead-ball taker - we all know he had his hip issues and his corners were atrocious for a long while, I now like the mix of players rotating through that role). It made the world of difference to Maddison and to the team when other players more suited at the time could come in and play. It benefited KDH for example as that was one of the reasons he got his break. Then Rodgers started to experiment with different formations and lineups, which based on what he was willing to do in the past (he did mention a long time ago that he was an old style manager that wanted only a small squad who keep playing week in week out) were good signs. I almost feel that he was paying attention to certain critics we have here. He is also trying with more attacking players on the pitch, getting Mendy back in the team, playing Nacho more to his strengths, etc. These are positive signs for me - so long as he stays humble and willing to learn, I am keen to see him continue his reins here because all managers need time to build, learn from mistakes, and then rebuild so long as he has capacity to (and so far he is showing it). Indeed, if not for the signs that he was listening and changing, I would have been in the Rodgers out camp at some stage, but fortunately I never got there.

I just hope though he spends the club’s money wisely as this is yet, to me, to be proven and a club like ours can’t afford to make too many mistakes in the transfer market unlike some others.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

So happy he is proving me wrong, like many others I felt he had taken us as far as he could and that the tone was right for both parties to move on, but how he has turned it around by  shown a flexibility in his tactical set up that I didn’t think existed and most importantly clearly has the backing and support of the players 

He has turned the season around when it was looking sketchy always knew he was a good manager but lost a bit of faith when he continued to do the same thing over and over again with little effect... although to be fair to him injuries and individual performances/errors were just as much at fault. hope he stays next season.

Edited by whoareyaaa

On 18/04/2021 at 21:16, Fox92 said:

Brendan you are the man!!

And he's still the man.

Semi final of a European Competition having taken us to the semi final of an FA Cup and League Cup.

Who knew that we'd be better once our injured players got back :rolleyes: 

Without so many injuries, to many of our key players, we'd be much higher in the league. Rodgers has delivered consistency with two top 6 finishes and the only thing prevented it this season is the amount of injuries.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Seems to be a trend to me, he's a much better manager when we're losing, he's positive he's attacking and we play with intensity. When we're ahead, even 1 0 at home to a bang average team, he just becomes a park the bus and see it out manager after 45 minutes which is obviously hugely frustrating and annoying. If we gave every team a 1 goal start, daft as it sounds, I'm sure we'd have played much better football this season and maybe even had more points. 

• Like 1

I have always been mostly Rodgers in (although had a wobble at the beginning of December, I admit), and have even said we can't really judge him on injuries, given the scheduling hell around the pandemic.

The good  thing about the wobble that is this season (and I realize this is whatever the opposite of sour grapes is), is that we aren't going to have the whole "who is going to poach Rodgers" media campaign this off-season, even if we get into Europe next year. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What was missing from this revival in recent months was an away win against a big team in a huge game and he's masterminded that last night.

Roma in the semi finals vs Mourinho, it's massive this is. 

I’m happy to admit I was wrong, I’m no longer “Brendan Out”.  

We look significantly better in multiple aspects now. Still think he is guilty of multiple (and some repeat) failures during his time, but he has shown enough in the past month or so to say it’s worth persevering - in my opinion at least. 

Even if we lose to Roma and end up 9th, I’d stick with it.  

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

I’m happy to admit I was wrong, I’m no longer “Brendan Out”.  

We look significantly better in multiple aspects now. Still think he is guilty of multiple (and some repeat) failures during his time, but he has shown enough in the past month or so to say it’s worth persevering - in my opinion at least. 

Even if we lose to Roma and end up 9th, I’d stick with it.  

All managers make bizarre decisions and mistakes, certainly the longer a manager is at a club. I've always just about been able give him the benefit of the doubt on bad team selections or certain methods as eventually he swallows his pride and does change things - look at the set piece issue denial and how to play against the big 6.

It's difficult to remain behind a manager though when in the midst of a horror run or when you see no light at the end of the tunnel on something - see the injury issues and throwing everyone under the bus except himself. But he's proving many people wrong again, there's life in him yet. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong as well, I lost faith and got fixated on something that was being dismissed as bad luck which was hard to accept. 

We are flying high with confidence and you'd have to be some sort of twat to not be loving this right now.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Corky said:

At least we can finally end the Puel comparisons. Rodgers is miles ahead of him and has given us great days. His best have been brilliant.

Puel did the dirty work that made this club better. I will always be thankful to him for that. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Puel did the dirty work that made this club better. I will always be thankful to him for that. 

Always grateful for how he manage during the period of the Helicopter crash, very dignified and lead the club well. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Of course, Brendan, makes mistakes. Show me a manager that doesn't.

The old saying is true that you learn more from your mistakes. I was one who never called for him to go and always argued in his favour as fundamentally I think he is a good manager and like it or not he knows what to say and what not to. I did think he might succumb to all the clamour for him to go coming a few months back especially when the press picked up on vocal fan unrest but he handled that well and battled back. Mostly due to returning players obviously but he showed backbone to stick to his guns. I’d still like him to sort out a few things especially improve the injury record and specialty coaches that Pearson utilised. As far as formations and tactics we all have our own opinions and that’s one of the great things about football. I have great admiration for our owners and Brendan not far behind. One of our best. 

Edited by Supergray22

48 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Never really got that comparison;

Rodgers: In under 3 years;

Two 5th places, two European qualifications, 1 FA cup win, 1 Community Shield win, 3 semi-finals, 2 Qtr-finals, PL Biggest away win record, 14 PL wins scoring 4 of more goals (more then all other PL LCFC managers combined), managed 20 European ties, including 10 wins (more then all other LCFC managers combined).

Puel:

9th place and 3 Qtr finals.

Think BR makes mistakes but is underrated by a lot of LCFC fans

Well... when you put it like that.

People were too quick on the trigger wanting Rodgers out.   

There was talk that a downward slide is rarely arrested.   

We are missing two of our main men, Vardy and Ndidi.  What we couldn't cope with was having 6 or 7 defenders injured.  We are beginning to see the strength of our squad.  Hopefully,  we have reached the end of any Rodgers out thoughts.   

Win games consistently and the manager is great.

Lose games consistently and the manager is rubbish.

The pendulum of fan approval swings with results - and only results.

It was ever thus and always will be.