Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Never really got that comparison;

Rodgers: In under 3 years;

Two 5th places, two European qualifications, 1 FA cup win, 1 Community Shield win, 3 semi-finals, 2 Qtr-finals, PL Biggest away win record, 14 PL wins scoring 4 of more goals (more then all other PL LCFC managers combined), managed 20 European ties, including 10 wins (more then all other LCFC managers combined).

Puel:

9th place and 3 Qtr finals.

Think BR makes mistakes but is underrated by a lot of LCFC fans

It wasn't a comparison of managers it was that the league results under Rodgers from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022 were very similar to Puel's last year here who got the sack. It was to highlight how much we'd dropped off for nearly a whole year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

All managers make bizarre decisions and mistakes, certainly the longer a manager is at a club. I've always just about been able give him the benefit of the doubt on bad team selections or certain methods as eventually he swallows his pride and does change things - look at the set piece issue denial and how to play against the big 6.

It's difficult to remain behind a manager though when in the midst of a horror run or when you see no light at the end of the tunnel on something - see the injury issues and throwing everyone under the bus except himself. But he's proving many people wrong again, there's life in him yet. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong as well, I lost faith and got fixated on something that was being dismissed as bad luck which was hard to accept. 

We are flying high with confidence and you'd have to be some sort of twat to not be loving this right now.

Fans cant agree with each other...So a manager as no chance, every fan think he sees the problems,that others & manager dont,so where is the arrogance

Manager..fans..??   A manager has to do what he thinks right for the way HE wants to go....Rodgers has been open, but also he,like you wont go public,in Everything ,or what individual fans Desire because unlike you and I He has his whole Team management ,Plus 19 opponents, and a Media guantlet to run & manage, Plus 1000 mitigating circumstanstances...

It aint back & white....No matter how often forums Love to use obvious, should, expect..!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Still has to be put in context. 

BR has credit in the bank, Puel had little. 

And that's why his job wasn't under massive threat, although do wonder what would have happened if we hadn't improved from March onwards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see how he does in the first leg against Roma

We played confident against Rennes and won by 2:0. not the best game tbh but still, nice result and we went for a win THATS WHAT MATTERS.

Absolutely ****ed it up against PSV, gave up after missed 2 chances and awarded them with a draw. I mean i may be asking to much, not sure, but We are not facing teams like Real and Liverpool, its still a just conference league with not that great teams and mentality should be ****ing go for it and win

I really hope he will be brave enough to actually play a football game and not  passing back from midfield. They have nice results in Seria A, but i have watched games and still they struggle a lot. 

MEN UP BRENDAN 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tsintskaro said:

We played confident against Rennes and won by 2:0. not the best game tbh but still, nice result and we went for a win THATS WHAT MATTERS.

Absolutely ****ed it up against PSV, gave up after missed 2 chances and awarded them with a draw. I mean i may be asking to much, not sure, but We are not facing teams like Real and Liverpool, its still a just conference league with not that great teams and mentality should be ****ing go for it and win

I really hope he will be brave enough to actually play a football game and not  passing back from midfield. They have nice results in Seria A, but i have watched games and still they struggle a lot. 

MEN UP BRENDAN 

Why just Brendan :dunno:

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, tsintskaro said:

MEN UP BRENDAN 

Players miss chances, another day we beat them 1-0 or 2-0 at home.

All that matters in cup football is going though not how.

• Thanks 2

I think where we were it was completely valid to be unsure about our future. Our form was terrible. Players have come back, he has arrested the slide, we've improved defensively and the team looks confident again. It's great. 

I was always of the opinion we would and probably should wait the season out. I was pretty critical of him and was getting fed up of certain things. I'm glad he's still here and that we're doing as well as we know this squad is capable of doing. 

None of this renders those past criticisms null and void and I wish we could have a conversation without it always turning into us vs them. That there were a few less smug bastards who are just as happy to be on "the right side" and talk about humble pie as they are anything. Such is life I suppose.

I think in general, football discussion involves too many definitives when the reality of the game, of managers and of players, is so much more temporary. 

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

I’ve been very critical of Rodgers and after the second half at home and the first half away to PSV I was convinced he had us bottling another opportunity. 

His ruthless subs at half time yesterday changed the game and deserves credit, i want him to be that manager more often. 

I’m slowly starting to come back around, after the Vestergaard howler sub against Spurs he’s shifted his approach to game management and its starting to pay off, changes are much more positive. Against Crystal Palace for example it would have been easy for him to slide into old habits and to switch to 5 at the back after they scored but he made positive subs instead and the team kept their nerve and managed the game much better. 

I hope he keeps this up and continues to prove me and the other doubters wrong. 

Very good interview in the Times: inspiring young coaches is a special thing

“I spoke to Brendan Rodgers [the Leicester City manager] last summer and then when I took the job [at Ipswich in December]. From where he’s from [Rodgers was born in Carnlough, Co Antrim], his development pathway as a coach and as a manager has been an inspiration for me. He was a fantastic person to speak to, he has been in very similar shoes and had a very successful career. He’s someone I look up to.”

4B8D2657-5930-4625-9FE5-53B19E4962C8.jpeg

24 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Very good interview in the Times: inspiring young coaches is a special thing

“I spoke to Brendan Rodgers [the Leicester City manager] last summer and then when I took the job [at Ipswich in December]. From where he’s from [Rodgers was born in Carnlough, Co Antrim], his development pathway as a coach and as a manager has been an inspiration for me. He was a fantastic person to speak to, he has been in very similar shoes and had a very successful career. He’s someone I look up to.”

4B8D2657-5930-4625-9FE5-53B19E4962C8.jpeg

He must be tiny, then, because Brendan's a short-a*se 😁

On 14/04/2022 at 19:57, coolhandfox said:

Very very brave tonight.

Would have been easy option to give Barnes and Albrighton unitl 60.

Very positive, also changed shape.

None of us would have made the Perez sub!

...once he had taken Barnes off and put Lookman on the left, with Albrighton not working out in respect of attacking threat on the right, going for Perez does not seem so far-fetched as there was no other option. The ploy I would have suspected was how to get Maddison in his preferred role in order for him to try an influence the game. Perez turned out to have a bigger impact on the game than Rodgers would have expected.

I did think Perez had changed his game somewhat, in the match where he rose at the near post to head the ball on for Amartey to score. I posted that no one had even mentioned what a great header it was, and I felt at the time he was looking sharp. We never saw him again for sometime.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 07:13, Claudio Fannieri said:

So happy he is proving me wrong, like many others I felt he had taken us as far as he could and that the tone was right for both parties to move on, but how he has turned it around by  shown a flexibility in his tactical set up that I didn’t think existed and most importantly clearly has the backing and support of the players 

...the rumoured "bust up" was the catalyst for him (Rodgers) making the changes!!!

He has not come to make these changes with a "road to Damascus" moment, it seems that there has been an understanding between him and and the club. Changes have been made behind the scenes and we are no longer allowing him free reign in acquisitions and the medical (physio) problems are now being addressed. 

Defending corners, men posted up the pitch, when we are defending corners, moving from zonal marking to picking up a man, all these aspects he should have known and sought to address. It only took criticism from TV pundits for him to acknowledge there was a problem. 

19 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I wish those who were very pro Rodgers were balanced enough to see that the criticisms of him were very accurate and constructive. 

He has desperately needed to work on game management. It's been fair to say that. Look at the results when he gets it right. 

Rodgers is a good manager who could be great if he slightly changes a few elements of his practice. Saying as much shouldn't be viewed as some heinous act of defiance and conflict. 

I'm a cultist ask @Kibworthfox ignorance is bliss. For some. Starting to get a whiff of the non apology apology in here. Ha ha.

Edited by SO1

21 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Still has to be put in context. 

BR has credit in the bank, Puel had little. 

...Puel's problem, was an inability to communicate effectively with his players!!!

Fofana was under his tutelage, knows good players when he sees them and Ricardo was also someone he bought to this club.

Unless Puel learns to be more flexible and open to others, he will forever be a short term manager.

• Like 1

rodgers aint perfect but when hes most pragmatic and not overthinking hes at his best. hopefully he stays as he is now without reverting back to his worst elements which is without a doubt his stuborness. he could be great if he were always this pragmatic. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I wish those who were very pro Rodgers were balanced enough to see that the criticisms of him were very accurate and constructive. 

He has desperately needed to work on game management. It's been fair to say that. Look at the results when he gets it right. 

Rodgers is a good manager who could be great if he slightly changes a few elements of his practice. Saying as much shouldn't be viewed as some heinous act of defiance and conflict. 

It felt like in the thick of it, anyone trying to point out Rodgers positives during the height of the bad spell was dismissed as defiant and rebutted very strongly. Some of the anti-Rodgers stuff bordered on hysteria.

For me, i was always wait until the end of the season before pulling the trigger unless a genuine relegation battle loomed. I'm quite conservative when it comes to dumping managers. 

Now, that doesn't mean he's got everything right and that Forest defeat was inexcusable and that's partially on him. You're absolutely right - he's made mistakes and sometimes he is way too passive with his subs. I think that's fair. There's nuance here for sure. 

I just hope if we have another rough spell we also don't just jump on him and demand he goes. Like I think he's earned a small respite.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very encouraging words about how to handle the players, keep proving me wrong Brendan. Nobody can deny he doesn't try and change where its needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That is a good interview.

He's probably said it to play down expectations, but I don’t agree that 8th is the absolute highest we can finish! We’re 11 points behind West Ham with 3 games in hand - it’s not impossible to catch them although difficult while rotating for Europe. But 8th is a good, realistic target.

• Like 2

That PSV game was all about patience. It was clear we were dominating and pinning them further back. Brendan’s subs and tactical tinkering changed the game, but I was confident we’d win even with 15-20 mins to go. When you see Perez impacting a game like that you know something will happen.

Having said that I also wouldn’t have been surprised if had bottled it. But they showed great character and hopefully took a big step forward to win this thing. I also think it was important because we did it without JV - and we need to and are getting better at that.

It would have been such a mistake to get rid of Brendan and appoint someone like Potter. Brighton have dropped off a cliff since new year, and I couldn’t see anyone else around who fits the mould.

• Like 2