Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

How can a team that is in total control of the game for the first fifteen minutes who've gone a goal up against a team totally devoid of confidence with a crowd that was audibly turning on them fail to win that game? Instead of tasting blood and going for the jugular we slowly took our foot off the gas and retreated. Everton, shocking as they were, slowly gained in confidence, got the crowd back on side and because they were still, albeit barely, in the game, finally got a late equalizer. Bad luck? Player mentality? Or is it something to do with a flaw in the makeup of the coach? Liverpool were 2 - 0 up against Man U the previous night and early in the second half took their foot slightly off the gas, allowing a poor United side to get a tiny foothold in the game. Within a couple of minutes Klopp was apoplectic on the sideline and normal service was quickly resumed leading to a ridiculously comfortable 4 - 0 victory. I'm not comparing us to Liverpool, but the chasm in class between us and Everton, as demonstrated in the first 15 minutes of the game, was not dissimilar to the gap between Liverpool and Man U the previous night. We have now blown 26 points from winning positions and in 4 games since Christmas  we've blown at least 9 points in injury time alone. This can't just be brushed off as bad luck or even bad defending. If you don't put teams away when you have the chance and meekly surrender the initiative you will always leave yourself vulnerable and teams will take advantage and come from behind. In my opinion, Rodgers is cautious to a fault. He tends to focus too much on trying to hang onto what he's got rather than trying to put teams away. The stats support this flaw as do our failures to make the CL and our failures in the Europa League. Take a close look and a clear pattern emerges with Rodgers. He also failed to get Liverpool over the line before being moved on. His defenders will make excuses like 'injuries', he did it in Scotland (when Celtic were the only team in it) and of course our FA Cup final victory. Although I rate the latter as the best moment in my 60 odd years of supporting the club, if you view the game back the same cautious game plan was employed once we took the lead and we got away with it...just! Rodgers has some fabulous qualities as a coach and he must take enormous credit for getting us into winning positions both in games, in league position and in European and domestic cup competitions but what I see as his fatal flaw will lead to us continuing to fall short with annoying regularity. If Rodgers doesn't address it the directors of our club will have a very tough decision to make. The result of our Conference League campaign will certainly sharpen the minds of those who will have to make the big decisions about how best to take our club to the next level. I do believe we are close but seriously fear that Rodgers might just be the nearly man.       

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

We are, in my opinion a Neil Lennon, type winner in the middle of the park away from challenging the top 4. 

…And then one injury away from repeating this season and demonstrating once again how Rodgers has failed to add any quality and depth to the squad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Given his track record of cottoning on to things that the fans have been calling for ages, we’ve another 6 months of 1 up front before his penny drops

He's been a one-up-front manager almost entirely since Swansea. The only exception seems to be that season with Liverpool with Suarez and Sturridge up front for them. But Danny Graham at Swansea, Benteke at Liverpool, Dembele and Edouard for us, and Vardy/Iheanacho/Daka for yous. He'll always play with a central striker

2 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

He's been a one-up-front manager almost entirely since Swansea. The only exception seems to be that season with Liverpool with Suarez and Sturridge up front for them. But Danny Graham at Swansea, Benteke at Liverpool, Dembele and Edouard for us, and Vardy/Iheanacho/Daka for yous. He'll always play with a central striker

For better or for worse 

His stubbornness of sticking with his football philosophy isn’t a good thing 

• Like 1

It would honestly be better if he went at this point. The players are still playing for him, but when you lose the supporters, your goose is cooked. He can't seem to do any right, judging by responses here. Whenever your European journey ends, that should be the last hurrah. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot

See the toys are being thrown out the pram again.

Rodgers has led us to two top 5 finishes, a league cup semi, a european cup semi and an fa cup in just over three years. Only once has he really had money to spend and he's had to sell maguire and chilwell in this time and we didn't replace like for like each time.

Hes having a poor season but every manger has them. And a poor season is currently 9th and a european semi final despite playing for 2/3 of the season with fofana, Evans and vardy.

There isn't anyone better who'd come to us and I genuinely fear a big decline if he leaves. He no doubt has faults but he's on for being our best ever manager.

A decent window in the summer and shipping out some players that don't want to be here, along with no European football and I'm convinced we'll be flying next year.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

42 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Rodgers has led us to two top 5 finishes, a league cup semi, a european cup semi and an fa cup in just over three years. Only once has he really had money to spend and he's had to sell maguire and chilwell in this time and we didn't replace like for like each time.

Hes having a poor season but every manger has them. And a poor season is currently 9th and a european semi final despite playing for 2/3 of the season with fofana, Evans and vardy.

There isn't anyone better who'd come to us and I genuinely fear a big decline if he leaves. He no doubt has faults but he's on for being our best ever manager.

A decent window in the summer and shipping out some players that don't want to be here, along with no European football and I'm convinced we'll be flying next year.

OK Brendan. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

It's dropping points so late on that's annoying, what is it 8 points dropped in added time against Newcastle, Everton, West Ham and Spurs?

Totally. 

Im not staunch Rodgers out, I think another appointment would be quite a risk as it would probably have to be a foreign coach with no PL experience. I have two issues with him.

1) He overthinks tactically

2) He fails to correct patterns - set pieces, late goals 

Getting concerned that we don’t create enough as well. We were scoring for fun at the start of the season regardless of the poor defence. We’ve clearly stopped committing so many men forward after Forest and it’s leading to us not creating many chances at all.

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm so torn on him, I was very much Rodgers Out back in Jan/Feb as I couldn't get away from the major concerns about the long term, never mind how badly we were doing. There were reasons for that, which I accept and he has made some changes to try and improve other areas of underperformance this season.

The crux of it is, can he keep a squad fit? We've seen how inconsistent we are with a torrent of injuries and of course that's inevitable but if that's the likely state of play under Rodgers then at some point we would have to consider the long term health of the club, we cannot afford to waste this squad and the momentum built in the last 6-7 years.

Momentum is everything, look at the 1st half of last season, we had many injuries to key players and we coped remarkably well, we were mocking the likes of Liverpool for daring to moan their issues were because of injuries, but inevitably a combination of your best players being out and a loss of confidence and its easy for a perceived crisis to kick in, we've certainly seen that at times this season.

The other elephant in the room is recruitment, we so badly need a strong transfer window. We need at least 3 players that improve us, plus an injection that boosts the overall play of our current players. I look at the way we play and wince at the limited chances we create for our front three, it's all so laboured with too much lateral passing and allowing the opposition to get their banks of 4 in place. How many times a game do we have players running on past the defence and past the link man? Daka can't link play on his own and Iheanacho can but either his deficiencies are breaking down promising phases of play or the LW, RW and ACM aren't in sync with the passage of play to hurt teams. We've seen plenty of this with Vardy who is elite in his movement and link up play, its something Rodgers has failed to rectify and something that was very much part of his way of playing in the first half of his time here.

He'll get the summer, I've prepared myself for that and I can see why as he's too much credit in the bank for a club like the way ours is ran to be ready for a change. The only reason he's not here for the rebuild is if he thinks it's time to move himself and the right sort of club for him comes knocking but I don't see it happening.

If we get past Roma and get that ECL in the bag then he deserves way more recognition from us than he's got this season, we have thrown so many results away this season in the league and given our past misdemeanours the bottling tag is hard to shake off but get another trophy after a route of games vs teams that are all about as good as us would be excellent and more than enough evidence to suggest there is progression from both the manager and the players at winning things.

We've got to improve the amount of goals we score, defensively the improvements come by keeping our defence fit and the team working hard off the ball as a unit, we've seen signs of that recently but not in front of goal, it's been very scratchy for months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

There's nothing to critique then? 

Nope. Never allowed to say anything negative about Saint Brendan ever. Its always the players fault. 

The Amartey sub? Stroke of genius. It was the players that messed it up clearly… 

58 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

It would honestly be better if he went at this point. The players are still playing for him, but when you lose the supporters, your goose is cooked. He can't seem to do any right, judging by responses here. Whenever your European journey ends, that should be the last hurrah. 

Foxestalk is not representative of the fanbase