Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

15 minutes in and their crowd was already starting to turn on them, only noise from the Everton end was abuse and groans. Go for the jugular there and they crumble, you win by 4 or 5. Instead from about half an hour in he had us retreating back and just trying to "control the game", ironically ceding all control and tempo to Everton. Not a surprise that they scored, just that they took so long to do it, and that all stems from his shite tactics. Genuinely starting to think that the collapses at the end of the last two seasons got him spooked, and now he's trying so hard to avoid defeats like the Spurs game on the final day last season, or Bournemouth in 19/20, that he demands no risks be taken, but it just doesn't work and gives up so much momentum that the collapses are inevitable.

Losing out to a 90th minute goal should be something that happens maybe once a season, we've done it twice in 4 days and both times it's been no less than we deserved. Something is very very wrong with the mentality around the club and that comes from the manager. Sort it out sharpish or **** off.

Rodgers seems to be one of those that believe having more possession  of the ball means you have controled the game and have performed well. He's been delighted with the last 2 performances because we've had so much of the ball, but it's what you do with it that matters, and we don't threaten the goal nearly enough. We arse about with it for too long at the back, and often our possession with the ball is slow and ponderous, and easy to defend  against. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The problem is it's just the same thing over and over and over again. I hope he can change because ultimately if he's doing great so are we. But we're looking at 2 years of the same problem. 

He'll be done over by Mourinho. 

I don’t think he will be done over by mourinho. I think their 11 players will be better than ours. I don’t really think it matters what he does as Roma just have a better team than we do.

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

The problem is it's just the same thing over and over and over again. I hope he can change because ultimately if he's doing great so are we. But we're looking at 2 years of the same problem. 

He'll be done over by Mourinho. 

He won’t change, he’s too committed to his ideology. Compare and contrast his comments over games like last night where ‘we controlled the opposition’ to ones where we ran riot. 

I still remember the time we ran riot over West Brom and he was going bonkers on the touchline all because the team were not sticking to his idea of playing football. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Match day. There is no hint of rebellion, although granted it was close until we equalised against West Ham earlier this year.

Ultimately its all about the results for the fans. 

But it isn't for the manager. This is where I am perplexed. 

7 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

He'll be done over by Mourinho

100%

14 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Rodgers seems to be one of those that believe having more possession  of the ball means you have controled the game and have performed well. He's been delighted with the last 2 performances because we've had so much of the ball, but it's what you do with it that matters, and we don't threaten the goal nearly enough. We arse about with it for too long at the back, and often our possession with the ball is slow and ponderous, and easy to defend  against. 

The thing is he'd be right if we did have control from keeping the ball, we used to do that even if at times it was boring when we shut the games down but we aren't doing that this season and yet he still wheels out this muck about being pleased with how we've controlled the game. I can respect his principles if he holds such principles in a higher regard, don't be as content with it when it clearly didn't work. Demand better and/or have the humility to change it if necessary to get across the line.

I like plenty about the way we play, I love it when we press from the front and also mix up our patterns of play from defence, whether that be bring the ball out and look to create openings, or launch fast attacks with some probing long range passes (Soyuncu is the best at that). I love it when we retain the ball and our movement is fast paced and cohesive, what's not to love about seeing your team confident and assured in possession, it gives a high degree of confidence and assurance.

On the flip side to all of that though is laboured pressing, over playing especially at the back and running ourselves in to trouble. Sadly we mix some of the latter with the former and that still seems to be job done for Brendan as a game plan and whether he's satisfied or not. He needs better standards, he's been here over 3 years and this doesn't wash with a lot of fans now, don't pull pissers. Be prepared to admit faults and show vulnerability, that's why many struggle to warm to him.

• Like 2

Mourinho and Rodgers are both very stubborn, arrogant managers who have their own style and refuse to stray from it.

The difference is that Mourinho is a flawed genius, whereas Rodgers is just flawed.

• Like 1

I’ve just seen Rodgers interview following the Everton match saying how good we were and how we are so close to being back to our level!

it’s these comments that infuriate me, Everton deserved the point, Richarlison had already missed 2 sitters. On ExG we lost 1.88 v 1.04 - we were again not good enough

Rodgers is a great manager, but it is the same issues again and again

Most games we have more possession, but less chances. Chances are more important than possession 

We still haven’t solved the set piece defending.

For the past 2 seasons we failed to see out the season, now we can’t even finish out a game. Poor game management, how many times have we threw away points at the death. 

When are we going to learn? 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dames said:

He won’t change, he’s too committed to his ideology. Compare and contrast his comments over games like last night where ‘we controlled the opposition’ to ones where we ran riot. 

I still remember the time we ran riot over West Brom and he was going bonkers on the touchline all because the team were not sticking to his idea of playing football. 

That's what I struggle to get my head around. I don't mind the anger if standards aren't being met, even if the result says otherwise. But don't then contradict things by letting poor play occur but because the result was in the balance that it was more acceptable in the managers eyes. 

"Poor game management", to my mind, is down to the players. They are the ones on the pitch and far too many can't do the basics for 90 minutes or 90 +2 or 5!!

They are "professional" footballers, it is their job to see a game out.

• Like 2

Does anybody truly believe that in 12 months time he'll have ironed out our problems and will be a more tactically flexible manager? We've seen the same mistakes from him for years now and we're gradually getting worse. Injuries have been a valid excuse but they don't tell the full story 

• Like 3

There is a satisfaction with mediocrity but maybe that’s ok if it keeps you in your £10m a year job 

Some of our play at its best has been scintillating and BR gets the credit for that but he lacks courage as a manager by not getting his team to be more aggressive in possession and through his negative and, as frequently proven,  costly approach to defending a lead 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

"Poor game management", to my mind, is down to the players. They are the ones on the pitch and far too many can't do the basics for 90 minutes or 90 +2 or 5!!

They are "professional" footballers, it is their job to see a game out.

The players bear responsibility of course. But who made the unnecessary substitution and formation change in the last few minutes? 

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Does anybody truly believe that in 12 months time he'll have ironed out our problems and will be a more tactically flexible manager? We've seen the same mistakes from him for years now and we're gradually getting worse. Injuries have been a valid excuse but they don't tell the full story 

No I don't, but *hold my beer* he doesn't have to in order for us to still do well. For all his weaknesses, he's also a good coach who's respected by the players and has proven he can get this squad challenging the top 6 as well as going deep in a number of competitions.

The question is, is that still enough? I'm so torn on whether we could do better and should do better. Many would say we are nuts for thinking that and maybe there's part of that that's true. 

Let's just say grass isn't greener, then I can get behind him still on many things but there are a few things I won't accept and that's patronising our fans with muck that we're a young team, still finding our way in this regime and a huge work in progress. Yes we need to improve and there are certain mitigating circumstances for our problems but ultimately he's been here long enough and might be the victim of being very good from the off but that's the benchmark and he needs to shoulder that.

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

All managers have blind spots... after 3 years you are left with the blind spots.  Brendans are about concentration  lacking fight, mental fragility and poor set pieces at both ends.

He will not change this situation coz he cannot.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No I don't, but *hold my beer* he doesn't have to in order for us to still do well. For all his weaknesses, he's also a good coach who's respected by the players and has proven he can get this squad challenging the top 6 as well as going deep in a number of competitions.

The question is, is that still enough? I'm so torn on whether we could do better and should do better. Many would say we are nuts for thinking that and maybe there's part of that that's true. 

Let's just say grass isn't greener, then I can get behind him still on many things but there are a few things I won't accept and that's patronising our fans with muck that we're a young team, still finding our way in this regime and a huge work in progress. Yes we need to improve and there are certain mitigating circumstances for our problems but ultimately he's been here long enough and might be the victim of being very good from the off but that's the benchmark and he needs to shoulder that.

He has done all he can do.  Its not in him to do more.

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

He has done all he can do.  Its not in him to do more.

And that's sort of the point I was making, he doesn't have to suddenly change and do things he's never done or can do. He needs to do what he did that helped create a side who challenged for the top 6 with goals a plenty and that can juggle that as well as a determination to go far in other competitions.

I can accept his weaknesses, warts an all. We often ask for something else because it's hard to accept the faults but he should do what he's good at and that's the issue, the things he has been good at are diminishing and if he can't arrest that then we have a real problem.

This is what worries me about the Roma semi. 

Mourinho: "Many believe a team with more possession is more dominant. But that depends on how you look at it. A team without the ball can still have control. For some coaches that [possession] style is more a matter of PR & image."

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

And that's sort of the point I was making, he doesn't have to suddenly change and do things he's never done or can do. He needs to do what he did that helped create a side who challenged for the top 6 with goals a plenty and that can juggle that as well as a determination to go far in other competitions.

I can accept his weaknesses, warts an all. We often ask for something else because it's hard to accept the faults but he should do what he's good at and that's the issue, the things he has been good at are diminishing and if he can't arrest that then we have a real problem.

I recognise his weaknesses but I can't accept them....

We cant translate performance into goals and points without fixing his blind spots.

A wise rodgers would bring in help to adress his weaknesses (...why would he not desire to fix them?)... but his ego wont let him... he is surrounded by yes men in an echo chamber.

48 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Do you have a better guage for the fans feelings & opinions to make that statement? 

Forums are known to be more negative than what the average fan thinks . Certainly the LCFC Facebook pages are a lot more pro Rodgers than on here .

51 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Do you have a better guage for the fans feelings & opinions to make that statement? 

I'm on numerous Leicester FaceBook groups and the hatred for Rogers doesn't seem to be anywhere near as strong on them as it is on here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Can't believe he's still making these horrible tactical and personel changes at the death. 

He never learns. 

I'm petrified at the thought of him being at the heart of a squad rebuild based on the mediocre level of players him and his best mate have signed overall. 

Also, we are boring as **** to watch for 80% of a game

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the change. Everton we’re hoofing it up, Mendy was the smallest player on the pitch. He main job is to keep possession but we were just clearing our lines rather than playing possession football, so we had no use for his skills. We brought on someone to sit in front of the back 4 and try to break up play and win headers. 

It was the right change. There have been times this season where he has made the wrong decision with late subs, but yday was not one of those occasions. 

• Like 4