Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

36 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Sorry you are right. Overall he has done a good job and the FA cup win in particular was incredible. The mediocre part was referring to this season where we just keep making the same mistakes time after time. I feel we've had the best days we're gonna have with Brendan 

A sizeable part of me still believes the Cup was achieved despite not because of Rodgers. All too often we've relied on one or two players to rescue us in the league with a display of excellence. I'd contend this applied to the squad for cup games as we got closer and then to Wembley.

It's the one thing I'm expecting to see against Roma. If we win it'll be their work, if we lose it'll be Brendan's fault - sucks to be Brendan, eh? 

I'm now imagining the frothing going on in the heads of Rodgers' fans :D

12 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Big rebuild required in summer. Lacking quality and the gap between us and top 6 is ever growing now.

...not worried about top 6 next season, it won't be that difficult to reach so long as we keep the injuries down!!!

CDK turns up and with a RW and we are good to go. With all the needlessly dropped points in our last couple of games, we still had an outside shout of getting there, even with the poor season that we have had.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

xG doesn't consider easy passes not made. Nor would it include the KDH chance in the 1st minute. If you failt to take a shot, that doesn't mean there wasn't a chance.

It's a wank metric. Sorry but there's no chance anyone can claim that Everton had the better chances in that game. We should have buried them.

It's not a wank metric, it's great but it's an indicator that's misused or over used out of context because both it and - in the wider sense - statistical analysis are still pretty new to a lot of football fans and pundits who aren't reaaaallly all that qualified to analyse statistics.

Football is too complex a game to minimise to one or two trivial indicators in isolation, whether you're getting hung up on possession, attempts, xG, ball progression or whatever flavour of the month indicator is vogue at the time. 

I mean even the final score can be extremely misleading if you just fixate on one individual game when trying to assess the merits of a team and its approach in the context of a season as a whole. 

1 hour ago, Bazly said:

I think BR will be gone in the Autumn if the great rebuild goes as well as last Summers influx. 

...it would be financial disaster if we decided to do that!!!

The cost to offload him and his team, plus players that he would have brought in  who, according to your scenario are obviously not performing and we have them on big contracts. 

We would need to offload them if the new manager can not work with them, as the are not good enough, selling in the January window would have to be a fire sale, as there would hardly be any takers and it will have to be the summer window, when we can try to release them, but their contract could be prohibitive and they will be reluctant to go.

We either do it between now and the summer, any later will be too late.

Personally I think too many on here think we are at the same level as Liverpool and Man.City but just have dodgy management. Rodgers isn't perfect but in truth our players are good but not that good. The players are not lacking in skill but other aspects are not so good . They can certainly outplay teams at times with their ball playing skills but football at the top level requires physicality and brains and a high level of consistency. We have a lot of room for improvement in those areas.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean even the final score can be extremely misleading if you just fixate on one individual game when trying to assess the merits of a team and its approach in the context of a season as a whole. 

You're doing it on purpose now :giggle:

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

You're doing it on purpose now :giggle:

lol its a verbal tick that's really prominent in my day to day.

If you guys ever actually have the (mis)fortune of discussing any of this with me over a beer on a match day then I think you'll probably lose a few mil from the bottom of your teeth just from sitting there grinding them in frustration lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the big difference was, people loved MON!!!

Yes this and because after achieving the success in 2015/16 any manager coming in was bound to have a tougher time due to the higher expectations of the fans. O’Neil had a bit more Irish charm than Brendan. Different era now though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Like I said earlier there are fundamental problems with his management. Pretending there isnt and blaming "entitlement" and/or injuries is not going to hide that. His teams have a tendency to collapse. Whether that be Liverpool getting trounced 6-1 by Stoke or giving away a 3-1 lead against Palace. Us against, Bournemouth or Newcastle. Inability to keep leads. Drop in performances. Not do doing the basics right. I mean just using yesterday as an example. We spent 91 minutes of play refusing to rush a pass from the back. We then spend 4 minutes losing all composure and panicking at any sight of the ball. So much so, we went from being 1-0 up to conceding to then having a corner against us where we could've realistically have lost the game. This is a combination of the manager and the players. We cant just pretend these shortcomings do not exist. There fundamental issues with our side and they keep happening. I mean the Bournemouth performance/result should never have happened again. It did, literally 12 months later. What is it 19 goals from corners ? How many from a front post header ? Late goals and losing winning positions, it happens I get it but consistently as we have had this year ? 

I respect Brendan - I think he is a very good players coach. Its obvious footballers improve under him. However, if we are going to refresh the squad, then surely we should do the same with the manager. These issues are not going away with new players. Its now in our make up. This is who we are. A good side, who at times plays good football but essentially weak. I dont even know what our next level is because at present our football club is not a top 6 or top 8 side. We are a side fighting for a top ten finish who could realistically finish bottom half. 

We are going to lose some very good footballers over the next two years. I think its unfair to keep Maddison here. He has got 14 goals from midfield. He deserves to be on that plane to Qatar. How are we asking him to slum in mid-table. Fofana would walk into every side in this league. He deserves better then being part of a team who can't defend a corner. These types of players dont just get replaced.  

I dont buy the philosophy anymore and that's hard to say but it pisses me off how weak this entire regime can be. 

This regime won us trophies (including the Community Shield, I don't care if some fans don't rate it but we won against a team full of world class players and I celebrated it the same way I did with the FA Cup). This regime got us to a European Cup semi final beating teams that will possibly be in the Champions League next season. There's a long term plan by our owners which from every way you look at it has proven successful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

I'd say that is exactly what he's demanding .... Low risk possession football, don't make that killer risky pass if a low risk backwards pass is on.

it's about probing finding the gap, how many posts are there on players 'lets take Youri as an example' within his thread about how many times has he lost the ball trying to make a killer pass down the centre followed by why doesn't he just play it out to 'x' instead of to a player on his own with 4 defenders around him.
If they continued to 'try that risky' pass into the box & it never came off & the opposition turn the ball over, break & score how long before there are multiple posts about that which somehow would be aimed at manager also.
I'm sure what he actually says/wants is to get into that position & if the pass / shot is on then take it, if not recycle & work it again until that pass or shot is on..is there anything flawed in that?

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

it's about probing finding the gap, how many posts are there on players 'lets take Youri as an example' within his thread about how many times has he lost the ball trying to make a killer pass down the centre followed by why doesn't he just play it out to 'x' instead of to a player on his own with 4 defenders around him.
If they continued to 'try that risky' pass into the box & it never came off & the opposition turn the ball over, break & score how long before there are multiple posts about that which somehow would be aimed at manager also.
I'm sure what he actually says/wants is to get into that position & if the pass / shot is on then take it, if not recycle & work it again until that pass or shot is on..is there anything flawed in that?

It continually results in the same performances and us struggling to break down teams that are happy to sit in.

Obviously in cloud cuckoo land it's normal and fine, but it seems mental to me.

5 hours ago, Dusty said:

I don’t think he will be done over by mourinho. I think their 11 players will be better than ours. I don’t really think it matters what he does as Roma just have a better team than we do.

He'll be out thought. The 11 players don't matter as such. Because he's being out thought in the league most weeks against teams who's 11 players aren't as good as our 11 players :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Don't trust him transfer wise. Feels very Taylor at the min.

Taylor? 

One of the most successful managers we've had in our history feels like one of the worst managers we've had in our history? 

How?! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Repeating what I said at the end of the match day thread, I think we just need to accept that incidents like Newcastle and Everton are going to be part of the Brendan Rodgers experience and will be part of our DNA until he leaves. It's why he's probably peaked here, why we fluffed the Champions League twice and why we've done fairly poorly in the Europa League. He just doesn't foster strength of character and confidence in a squad. 

He's got plenty of strengths as a manager, which is why we were in the running for fourth place finishes twice in a row and why we've won the FA Cup. Clearly he's not a shit manager, he's probably one of the best we've had and I don't doubt that if he's allowed to continue we'll probably rally next season and get back to being top 6/7. More often than not I think he's going to deliver par for the quality of the squad. Even this year, when you factor in the injuries, I'd say he's probably done that. 

He's just never going to take us to the next level. He's not ever going to be the guy that the players give that extra ten percent for, won't run through brick walls or jump through fire for. Every manager has strengths and weaknesses and if he had that sort of Peak-Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, hell even PRIME Nigel quality of really inspiring devotion, confidence and tireless hard work in his players then he'd probably be at a much bigger club than us having a crack at the CL every year. 

He's found his level with a top half Premier League team. And maybe that's fine for him and us. I think if Top wants to try and make a regular crack of actually breaking the top four then he'd probably need a better manager but then I'm not sure our level of investment in the playing staff over the last few years makes that realistic, frankly, when you look at the power of teams already there. 

Spot on comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as it is painful to say, we're a weak team with a weak mentality. Losing 4th place twice after having big leads. Losing 90+min goals consistently. This all derives from Rodgers. His Liverpool team threw away the title in 2014, when they couldn't handle the pressure and capitulated against Palace. Compare that to our capulations against Bournmouth, Newcastle & Spurs when CL football was within our grasp or the hara-kiri defending when we're in winning positions. 

Edited by sm1
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the big difference was, people loved MON!!!

And for good reason. He was a decent chap who people could warm to and had us massively punching above our weight. The same can't be said for BR. Never met him so can't comment on what's he's actually like as a person but I'm confident in saying that this is one of the best squads the club has ever had so I definitely don't feel that he's exceeded expectations (pretty much on par).

I think the other reason people were drawn to MON and even Pearson is that whilst both from a technical coaching perspective weren't as strong as BR is, their teams always gave 100% regardless of who they came up against. That seems to resonate well with the fan base on a personal level and many feel they can overlook player deficiences so long as the players are seen to be giving everything for the cause. Unfortunately that's not been the case under BR and I think many feel that's a reflection of his personality/mindset. 

In February I was adamant that he needed to go but agree with some of the posters above that I think his relationships within the club are very strong and they won't move him on. Given the recent improved performances and that clearly the board are taking ownership away from him in several areas of the day to day club management, if he remains in role I won't be too disappointed as I do acknowledge that he is a decent coach and without the baggage of managing the players fitness and recruitment I think he could continue to do a decent job. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Taylor? 

One of the most successful managers we've had in our history feels like one of the worst managers we've had in our history? 

How?! 

In terms of player signings he's not far off. We're still basically using the squad the Puel put together. It's scary to think where we'd be if Rodgers was in charge when we had to have that major overhaul.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brendan's praising of Newcastle fans, owners, team, Eddie Howe, and their future prospects on Sunday was so so cringe worthy.

Maybe he's looking for the job there, Or laying the foundations for an approach down the line.

With the money they have he would do a good job there.

• Like 1