Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The last edition of the 48 team Europa we had to finish above AEK and Zorya Luhansk

I genuinely don't see much difference in the two to be honest. We should be picking up 10-12 points from both sets of games.

Our champions league draw was about as easy as you could hope for as well to be fair. Danish team, Belgian team and a Portuguese team.

13 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brendan's praising of Newcastle fans, owners, team, Eddie Howe, the city and their future prospects on Sunday was so so cringe worthy.

He's a networker isn't he, fantastic at building relationships with people and it's something that'll hold him in good stead throughout his career.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

In terms of player signings he's not far off. We're still basically using the squad the Puel put together. It's scary to think where we'd be if Rodgers was in charge when we had to have that major overhaul.

Sorry we'll have to agree to disagree!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I genuinely don't see much difference in the two to be honest. We should be picking up 10-12 points from both sets of games.

Our champions league draw was about as easy as you could hope for as well to be fair. Danish team, Belgian team and a Portuguese team.

Spartak and Legia both have a history of scalps in recent European football. Spartak playing occasionally in the CL. AEK & Zorya can only hold a light to that.

The scenario around the CL draw proves my point - Pot 1 = easier draw = that's how the coefficients operate. 

I don't doubt we should have beat them still but if we are playing a game of 'what if', the premise of 'if the Conference League didn't exist, we'd be out of Europe' doesn't really work that well as we'd have faced a team such as Randers quality in the Europa group stages rather than play them in the Conference League. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

We lost 4th place twice because of his refusal to sign an Ulloa type of player in the Summer Window. And we're still suffering because of it.

Where would we have finished without Ulloa's contribution when Vardy was out injured. That's the difference an old fashioned CF can bring to a team. 

That depends on the type of play, can’t see BR team launching route one balls to a target man. When they are so focused on maintaining possession.

Everton changed the game by bringing on Rondon and shifting Richarlison outwide up to that point they hadn’t had a shot on target.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Repeating what I said at the end of the match day thread, I think we just need to accept that incidents like Newcastle and Everton are going to be part of the Brendan Rodgers experience and will be part of our DNA until he leaves. It's why he's probably peaked here, why we fluffed the Champions League twice and why we've done fairly poorly in the Europa League. He just doesn't foster strength of character and confidence in a squad. 

He's got plenty of strengths as a manager, which is why we were in the running for fourth place finishes twice in a row and why we've won the FA Cup. Clearly he's not a shit manager, he's probably one of the best we've had and I don't doubt that if he's allowed to continue we'll probably rally next season and get back to being top 6/7. More often than not I think he's going to deliver par for the quality of the squad. Even this year, when you factor in the injuries, I'd say he's probably done that. 

He's just never going to take us to the next level. He's not ever going to be the guy that the players give that extra ten percent for, won't run through brick walls or jump through fire for. Every manager has strengths and weaknesses and if he had that sort of Peak-Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, hell even PRIME Nigel quality of really inspiring devotion, confidence and tireless hard work in his players then he'd probably be at a much bigger club than us having a crack at the CL every year. 

He's found his level with a top half Premier League team. And maybe that's fine for him and us. I think if Top wants to try and make a regular crack of actually breaking the top four then he'd probably need a better manager but then I'm not sure our level of investment in the playing staff over the last few years makes that realistic, frankly, when you look at the power of teams already there. 

Pretty balance post and spot on.

Whether people like it or not, we don't spend enough to attract a manager of a higher caliber then Rodgers, the only way we do is to take a risk on a up and coming manager who could be the next big thing. 

Our annual net spend of 20-30m is not enough to be a permanent top 6 side.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

That depends on the type of play, can’t see BR team launching route one to a target man. When they are so focused on maintaining possession.

Everton changed the game by bringing on Rondon and shifting Richarlison outwide up to that point they hadn’t had a shot on target.  

My point is that type of player usually delivers 5 to 10 goals a season and how many of those goals would have led to points. 

That's the difference between us gaining top 4 qualification and loosing out.

I know it's not Brendans philsophy I know, But that is where he's wrong. There are many ways to win football matches and it's only the result that counts, not how you done it.

But without going the old CF route he could still sign a modern day CF like Abrahams, Whose quick, mobile, and score's all types of Goals.

56 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Which is not a point that I would contest. The regime has done well for us. However, results and more importantly performances like yesterday are the norm for us. Why can we be a successful team and perhaps look for a new outlook. Why are we dependant on any one of these players or manager to be successful ? Not one of these "new lot" players is even close to a Kante, Vardy or Mahrez. We've done alright since two of those have left. 

My point being that granted we've had injuries but Brendan should not be getting a free pass here. What we are seeing at times is unacceptable. As a fan base, regardless of where we've come from or where we want to go, the issues are unacceptable. That applies to the players too. I mean, Little, O'neil, Bassett, Adams, Levein etc. would be lambasted if we conceded 19 goals from corners in one year. Micky Adams with a budget of a pack of crisp and chewits didnt get away with the way we conceded goals and leads in our PL season under him. 

The regime have done very well and its been an enjoyable period for us. However, we are about to enter a transition. What we do next summer cannot be a 6 month project. Its a big one. I think Brendan is going to be under more expectation. New players, money spent, if he doesnt hit the ground running, there is going be issues in addition to the issues we've already faced with him in charge. That means one thing. If that happens, we've wasted the period. 

Criticising Brendan normally gives the impression that the one criticising wants to be guaranteed trophies and top 6 or expects to win every week. Its far from that for me. I just want to compete but too often this season we've looked too weak. I dont think change is all that bad and like you've said, the owners management get it right more often then not. 

Absolutely agree this is why I don't have any problems with the fans that provide constructive criticism about BR. I can't stand though one liners such like "Rodgers out". The question will always be "what's next to go to another level?". Rodgers brought us trophies and some consistency at the top half of the table. In comparison Konte can stay another 3 years at Spurs and achieve absolutely nothing trophy wise. Is a Champions League appereance every year our main target? If that's the case then the owners need to spend big and convince a well known successful manager to take control and also bring certain players. Not happening. 

51 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

We lost 4th place twice because of his refusal to sign an Ulloa type of player in the Summer Window. And we're still suffering because of it.

Where would we have finished without Ulloa's contribution when Vardy was out injured. That's the difference an old fashioned CF can bring to a team. 

Fair enough but which one to sign? Benzema, Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Haaland or... Wood? There is a huge lack of this type of strikers in the market. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Repeating what I said at the end of the match day thread, I think we just need to accept that incidents like Newcastle and Everton are going to be part of the Brendan Rodgers experience and will be part of our DNA until he leaves. It's why he's probably peaked here, why we fluffed the Champions League twice and why we've done fairly poorly in the Europa League. He just doesn't foster strength of character and confidence in a squad. 

He's got plenty of strengths as a manager, which is why we were in the running for fourth place finishes twice in a row and why we've won the FA Cup. Clearly he's not a shit manager, he's probably one of the best we've had and I don't doubt that if he's allowed to continue we'll probably rally next season and get back to being top 6/7. More often than not I think he's going to deliver par for the quality of the squad. Even this year, when you factor in the injuries, I'd say he's probably done that. 

He's just never going to take us to the next level. He's not ever going to be the guy that the players give that extra ten percent for, won't run through brick walls or jump through fire for. Every manager has strengths and weaknesses and if he had that sort of Peak-Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, hell even PRIME Nigel quality of really inspiring devotion, confidence and tireless hard work in his players then he'd probably be at a much bigger club than us having a crack at the CL every year. 

He's found his level with a top half Premier League team. And maybe that's fine for him and us. I think if Top wants to try and make a regular crack of actually breaking the top four then he'd probably need a better manager but then I'm not sure our level of investment in the playing staff over the last few years makes that realistic, frankly, when you look at the power of teams already there. 

Great post! Bang on the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Do you not feel that after our title win, the chances for a repeat would be prevented by the richer, more established clubs? That perfect storm would never allowed to be repeated, the evidence of that has been replayed ever season since.

20 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Fair enough but which one to sign? Benzema, Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Haaland or... Wood? There is a lack of this type of strikers in the market. 

I doubt we're signing any of them too expensive, But we can find someone in the next generation coming along. They're out there we just have to find one.

I thought we should have went for Abrahams but he's probably too expensive now. But we need someone who can mix and cut it with the CBs.

Sometimes you just need someone who can hold the Ball up long enough for others to catch up or get into position to score.

33 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Absolutely agree this is why I don't have any problems with the fans that provide constructive criticism about BR. I can't stand though one liners such like "Rodgers out". The question will always be "what's next to go to another level?". Rodgers brought us trophies and some consistency at the top half of the table. In comparison Konte can stay another 3 years at Spurs and achieve absolutely nothing trophy wise. Is a Champions League appereance every year our main target? If that's the case then the owners need to spend big and convince a well known successful manager to take control and also bring certain players. Not happening. 

.....you will find that Conte is a winner, and a very good manager!!!

Very unlikely that he will fail to deliver at Spurs if he stays there. In a season or so our spending ability will be raised, but obviously not to the United, Man. City Chelsea levels but a net spend of £70m upwards will be the norm. The fact that we are focusing on infrastructure at the moment, has taken away our spending ability. 

7 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I doubt we're signing any of them too expensive, But we can find someone in the next generation coming along. They're out there we just have to find one.

I thought we should have went for Abrahams but he's probably too expensive now. But we need someone who can mix and cut it with the CBs.

Sometimes you just need someone who can hold the Ball up long enough for others to catch up or get into position to score.

....you mean like this!!!

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do you not feel that after our title win, the chances for a repeat would be prevented by the richer, more established clubs? That perfect storm would allowed to be repeated, of that has been replayed ever season since.

Yes, It's always much more difficult the following season that why Man city continue to bring in more players every season.

Yes we probably caught the big Clubs out that season, But we were the best Team as the table showed.

You have to keep trying to find the next way to do it and with what type of players. Brendan has done an excellent job to a point. But his reluctance to see any other way than pure football is costing us results. That will eventually cost him unless he changes. We badly need that type of player in our squad.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He looks useful in the Video. Maybe he's the one as I know we're after him. But it's someone of that type we need.

Great to be part of what, for the most part, has been a measured debate. We are all passionate fans of the club so raw emotion will always colour our judgment in the moment, but once the dust clears after another last gasp disappointment a consensus seems to be emerging about Rodgers. There is no escaping the fact that a worrying pattern of meltdowns has emerged throughout his tenure which have prevented us from reaching the next level in terms of our achievements after regularly getting so agonizingly close. I think we are all able to acknowledge Rodgers' many qualities as a coach outlined in numerous comments on this thread. However, his shortcomings, also outlined throughout this thread, are responsible for his inability to get us over the line in individual games, cup competitions and most critically into the Champions League positions. Top is clearly determined to take this club to the next level and he will have to decide whether or not Rodgers is the coach to do that. Given the body of evidence amassed in this thread, both pro and con Rodgers' coaching abilities and our level of achievement during his tenure a fair conclusion would be that Rodgers is well capable of maintaining our current level. If our aspirations as a club are higher, however, Rodgers will need to be replaced. Whether we could attract such a coach is another question. It would certainly be a risk and it could backfire badly. As we have seen in the past, Top is not afraid to make the big decisions or invest heavily in the club. Therefore, as I pointed out in an earlier post, with a substantial rebuild on the horizon this summer along with plans to extend stadium capacity, our fate in the Conference League will definitely sharpen his focus.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

xG doesn't consider easy passes not made. Nor would it include the KDH chance in the 1st minute. If you failt to take a shot, that doesn't mean there wasn't a chance.

It's a wank metric. Sorry but there's no chance anyone can claim that Everton had the better chances in that game. We should have buried them.

We watched a different game it seems. Richarlison should have been walking away with the match ball. Fortunately he’s the worst striker in the league.