Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

If another club comes calling for him this would be ideal. He has run his course here imo, a change could give the players a new lease of life, that’s not to say we don’t need a refresh of the squad. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He hit on something that has finally made us hard to beat and has seen us put together our best run of the season in terms of picking up points and not losing many games, but it reduces our capacity to make chances.

2 losses in nine league games, 15 points @ 1.66 pts per game, which would see us pick up 63 points over the season. I can see why he persists with it. 

Add in the ECL games; it's 3 losses in 13 games. 

To play a good 4-3-3, you need good wide players. Barnes is woefully out of form, Lookman is well, just Lookman, a good game followed by an average game and then we have Albrighton and Perez.

We have been desperate for better wide options since he got here. 

We are also not helped by the loss of form of Daka and Nacho. People will make excuses about systems and lack of chances, but they have both been woeful. 

He clearly doesn't trust any of Youri, KDH, Maddison or Mendy in a two. So with no Ndidi, we play with only 3 attacking players on the park if you include Jimmy instead we have 4 in a 4-2-3-1 system. The 4-3-3 could work really well if we had Ndidi back, Jimmy in the centre and a quality right-wing. 

I'd be more concerned if we didn't have Roma on Thursday. We clearly have an eye on that.

We have been wretched to watch, but we could have as easily got 7 points out of the last 3 as we got 2. 

I still think we are seeing the green shoots of recovery, harder to beat, conceding less, players looking more conformable defending set-pieces. We couldn't go on conceding two a game and trying to outscore teams. We need to get our cutting edge back, which may happen with the return of Vardy or maybe some summer recruitment. 

Yes that's possibly what's he's thinking but as I've said, he changed to this because we had barely any of our 1st choice back 4 available and KDH hadn't yet been given much of a run in the 1st team. We averaged that many points playing a more expansive system under him on and off for over 2 seasons.

If we really have to play this turgidly to prevent us from shipping goals then the games up, its not good enough. He's got to let the handbrake off with his best defence now back, incidentally we've not won a league game with Evans, Fofana, Castagne and Ricardo/Justin all playing yet which isn't overly promising either. 

And bottom line is, our best player is James Maddison and we are playing him out of position, it's pretty crazy. He's decided as well to not change the midfield 3 where he can help it which is seeing KDH dip at times in games as he's not quite as fresh as the rest and Tielemans is allowed to do whatever he likes knowing there's no risk to his position in the team. He says there's no other options but it's the same midfielders he's had all season when he was more than happy to stick Hamza in at times and Mendy is now the DCM instead of Ndidi. Just really odd, he could opt for a 3 of KDH/Tielemans, Mendy and Maddison to allow a rotation and give the team the best opportunity to create. KDH is one of the best at tracking players and pressing and there's absolutely no reason we can't go 4-2-3-1 with him and Mendy and Maddison in the 10 role who is also looking far more aggressive and quicker in his pressing and movement this season.

Still so much to figure out for Brendan, the longer he is here.

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it's a by product of making so many still mistakes, which have cost us points and wins.

You go against your natural instinct and play safe, which sometimes doesn't help.  

...when he (Daka) turned up here, there was a clip of him in training where he tore Caglar apart with his foot work and buried an absolutely beautiful goal which Kasper did not bother to go for  as it was already past him!!!

What I am witnessing is not that player, he has got skills where he can create on his own, why he is looking for the pass in space behind escapes me. His ball skills are way better than what we are seeing at the moment, he needs to change his game and take players on.

I question whether Brendan himself would want to stay beyond this season. I could see him bowing out on a high if he was to win us the Conference League. 

Personally don't think he has the stomach or the ability to rebuild us and could see him looking for a summer move away before it gets too difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I question whether Brendan himself would want to stay beyond this season. I could see him bowing out on a high if he was to win us the Conference League. 

Personally don't think he has the stomach or the ability to rebuild us and could see him looking for a summer move away before it gets too difficult. 

He won't get the money we pay him elsewhere 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I think he very much enjoys the £10m a year and he's got enough solid PR behind him that he can risk it turning very ropey here. 

13 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

...Spurs or Arsenal would be the two clubs where they are not quite where they want to be and he could improve them due to the players at the respective clubs!!!

He has a knack of spotting good opportunities and at present those maybe good options. Conte is constantly looking to leave a club as soon as he gets there but Arteta has got a firm grip on the reins, so would be difficult to shift.

A long shot would be Chelsea, they have everything in place, to match any team in Europe.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes that's possibly what's he's thinking but as I've said, he changed to this because we had barely any of our 1st choice back 4 available and KDH hadn't yet been given much of a run in the 1st team. We averaged that many points playing a more expansive system under him on and off for over 2 seasons.

If we really have to play this turgidly to prevent us from shipping goals then the games up, its not good enough. He's got to let the handbrake off with his best defence now back, incidentally we've not won a league game with Evans, Fofana, Castagne and Ricardo/Justin all playing yet which isn't overly promising either. 

Playing devil advocate, they aren't fully back and firing in those nine league games; 

Fofana has played 270 minutes out of 810 minutes
Evans has played 180 minutes 
Ricardo has played 196 minutes
Castange has played 335 minutes 

Justin has played more but is coming back from an ACL.

We have a moaned endless about rushing players back, we are now doing it the right way, and it will take time for them all to be back to their best. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And bottom line is, our best player is James Maddison and we are playing him out of position, it's pretty crazy. He's decided as well to not change the midfield 3 where he can help it which is seeing KDH dip at times in games as he's not quite as fresh as the rest and Tielemans is allowed to do whatever he likes knowing there's no risk to his position in the team. He says there's no other options but it's the same midfielders he's had all season when he was more than happy to stick Hamza in at times and Mendy is now the DCM instead of Ndidi. Just really odd, he could opt for a 3 of KDH/Tielemans, Mendy and Maddison to allow a rotation and give the team the best opportunity to create. KDH is one of the best at tracking players and pressing and there's absolutely no reason we can't go 4-2-3-1 with him and Mendy and Maddison in the 10 role who is also looking far more aggressive and quicker in his pressing and movement this season.

Still so much to figure out for Brendan, the longer he is here.

Maddison needs to be back at ten or in the middle of the park, no doubt, but Hamza is not the answer. He is not good enough.

I would like to see KDH and Mendy given a go, but I think you do nullify one of KDH's strengths putting him there, which is his pressing from the front. 

I think KHD dip is pretty natural for a player who burst onto the scene; starting well is the easy bit; performing over a season is the hard part.

The 3 to help with Mendy's biggest weakness his lack of physicality. He's a lovely little footballer but is easily targeted by a team leading to turnovers. 

I'm not surprised to see our links with a Seko Fofana and Sangare. The purchase of Soumare, which seems to have not worked out, indicates we want a solid base in a midfield two of Ndidi and one other or still being able to field that physicality when Ndidi is unavailable.

Interesting people's biggest bugbear with BR was his lack of pragmatism in the past. Now, they are beating him for going the other way. I think we sell Youri and bring in a CM in the shape of Fofana or Sangare, allowing us to have two of one of those and Ndidi or KDH. 

Maddison is back at 10, quality RW and a fully fit back four, and we will be looking a lot better. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...when he (Daka) turned up here, there was a clip of him in training where he tore Caglar apart with his foot work and buried an absolutely beautiful goal which Kasper did not bother to go for  as it was already past him!!!

What I am witnessing is not that player, he has got skills where he can create on his own, why he is looking for the pass in space behind escapes me. His ball skills are way better than what we are seeing at the moment, he needs to change his game and take players on.

I think he just has a confidence issue; he needs a goal. 

If he scores the with the shot against PSV, which leads to Ricardo's goal, you see a different Daka. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

The people still backing Rodgers don't even suggest that he's going to turn it around and make us improve. Instead they just expect us to accept things for how they are because we were in league 1 ten years ago

Performances like Palace and brentford suggest he might well improve it.

Those that don't back are yet to suggest a manager who we could get and would be better than him.

Someone has mentioned Eddie howe this morning ffs 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
57 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He won't get the money we pay him elsewhere 

Hes been offered more and turned it down. Spurs for example.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Those that don't back are yet to suggest a manager who we could get and would be better than him.

Eddie Howe lol

There should be people at the club capable of identifying a new manager that fits the direction of the club. Of course we could stick and hope it gets better but I really do feel like it's run its course for all parties

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The rule amongst many is they're allowed to fire with impunity but have no responsibility to hire - to which I say, well, if you're willing to have 'that's down to the club hierarchy' as your position, then you cannot really grumble when they don't sack the current incumbent, as the firing is similarly their decision.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes been offered more and turned it down. Spurs for example.

I feel like his stock was much higher then and the clubs that would offer him that kind of money (Spurs and Arsenal for example) look to have their positions filled for the foreseeable 

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We’re now that stale that I believe anyone coming in would get us playing much better football than we are currently.

Depending on the calibre of manager would depend on how long that improvement would last for though of course.

Id still want to try for Mancini. People will laugh obviously. But they’re probably the same people who laughed at the thought of Rodgers leaving Celtic a little over 3 years ago. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

The rule amongst many is they're allowed to fire with impunity but have no responsibility to hire - to which I say, well, if you're willing to say 'that's down to the club hierarchy' as your position, then you cannot really grumble when they don't sack the current incumbent, as the firing is similarly their decision.

This is also very true. I can only say what I'd like to happen. I can see some reasons for the club not feeling the need to pull th trigger but ultimately I just don't see longevity in the style he persists with

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

This is also very true. I can only say what I'd like to happen. I can see some reasons for the club not feeling the need to pull the trigger but ultimately I just don't see longevity in the style he persists with

Don't get me wrong, I understand valid concerns and criticisms - but just as with mental health issues, now is not forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astleyfox said:

Its not a proper trophy though, is it?

Not so much the trophy but what it leads to. However, what's the point in that if Rodgers treats it as he did this year? I think part of the reason he's only treated this competition seriously is down to him thinking of himself. His management skills this year, despite any media love ins, essentially put him out of the running of any big job and we're currently the best he can get. If he gets the push here I can see his career nosediving. 

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

Not so much the trophy but what it leads to. However, what's the point in that if Rodgers treats it as he did this year? I think part of the reason he's only treated this competition seriously is down to him thinking of himself. His management skills this year, despite any media love ins, essentially put him out of the running of any big job and we're currently the best he can get. If he gets the push here I can see his career nosediving. 

Volpe, you're going to have to explain this to me.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned yesterday ( ? ) about the concept that Brendan may be taking us back to basics defensively which I can see the sense in, and results may support this intent, but it could just as easily be the return of superior defensive personnel. Obviously hope it is the former and this is some form of overarching plan that firstly imbues solidity (as tedious as this can be) followed by further improvements in the attacking areas.

I dont get his logic to bring on strong team in PL last games and actually play weak football 

no point not resting KDH and Tielemans in games where you dont go for a win against bottom side teams

I do believe he will shit his pants and most likely play for a draw, no action at all unless we concede 

Albrigton in starting lineup incoming as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astleyfox said:

Its not a proper trophy though, is it?

Any Profi trophy is a trophy, One achieved something to Qualitfy vor the final..

.this Type of Contra reasoning Leads to....is an amateur opinion an opinion ?

• Like 1