Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We did try with Vestergaard and Bertrand, it just hasn't worked out - not every decision is going to be correct. Further, no one expected Soyuncu to be so bad, or for Castagne, Ricardo, Justin and Bertrand all to be injured at the same time. 

BR's Recruitment in defensive areas have been a failure this season.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Apologies for misunderstanding. We'd have to finish on more than 81 points in order to better on field results, I think 2016 is the worst season to use as a barometer due to the nature of it. You also have to factor in the amount of games we've played and injuries we've had to key players. I think it's much better to compare and contrast against our rivals in the league at current time with similar financial resources, in order to tell how we are doing this season, than it is to look back at teams of old. 

We have the best squad we have ever had, you and I agree.

I'd suggest we are more than capable of being up there with Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, the recent history also demonstrates this. They are all bigger clubs with bigger budgets, yet, we recruited much better, and can field a stronger fist 11. Failure to sufficiently have quality of depth has cost us this season.

Just now, foxinsocks said:

I believe his possession obsession has cost us also.

I'm literally going point by point mate, its not just 1 or 2 things... if you've ready any of my BR posts since the Legia defeat.... its a horror show. 

Possession obsession

Poor recruitment

Awful tactics

Cant defend

Have rare cutting edge

& Injuries

Takes a side who have competed for the top four to mid table in the blink of an eye... if that situation is maintained... :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't get this notion that Brendan Rodgers is a pragmatic manager, he certainly hasn't always been. If you look at his time at Liverpool and Leicester (ignore Celtic as they will always score goals due to being vastly superior) and the football at Liverpool up to that final season was very attacking. At Leicester we've seen him alter his preferred methods and now I don't know what he's up to but he still doesn't suit trying to implement defensive control in a game.

I've considered him to be very pragmatic since the mid point of his tenure here, although I just looked at the definition and i'm not sure I've ever truely understood the word "pragmatic" and i'm definitely not sure it applies to Rodgers lol

"dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations."

• Haha 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Of course, but he's got more than enough credit in the bank to be able to have the chance to rectify it this summer. 

Not just that, but all the noise seems to suggest that the club is taking control of recruitment back after last summer and moving in a different direction, so unlikely he gets the chance to repeat the mistakes of Vestergaard and Bertrand, anyway. 

I have to live in that hope...

Credit levels aren't the same within the fanbase, but we don't make the decisions, we just discuss them :thumbup:

Just now, pmcla26 said:

You have to look at the circumstances of this season. We are good enough, but only when we have our first 14 players or so available, don't have to play 60 games and don't have a squad decimated by injury. There is no way that when you look back at what we've had to deal with this season that we could really expect to finish much higher than what we are. If we win the ECL it is a brilliant achievement given the adversity of this season. 

I understand your point of view, I just don't agree. 

ECL has been a safety net. & there's that IF word again...

26 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He's not, but any manager in the league who has a defence of Amartey, Soyuncu and Thomas as 3/4's of his back line for much of the season is going to make sure the team isn't majorly open. 

He's started to toy with pragmatic football last season, it yielded some good results vs the teams we'd previously struggled against in 2019/20 but he's also blurred the lines against teams we are comfortably stronger than when playing how we play best which is on the front foot and don't try ans shut the game down during a period of time where we struggle to do so.

I'm keen to see what the future holds, this season has been an outlier given the horrendous injuries but it seems so long ago that we've played high energy attacking football and committed to it whilst also having a 1st choice defence we could rely on and a midfield that worked. I worry the longer this has gone on, the harder Rodgers is going to find it to revert to what him and we are best at.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kilworthfox said:

I'm literally going point by point mate, its not just 1 or 2 things... if you've ready any of my BR posts since the Legia defeat.... its a horror show. 

Possession obsession

Poor recruitment

Awful tactics

Cant defend

Have rare cutting edge

& Injuries

Takes a side who have competed for the top four to mid table in the blink of an eye... if that situation is maintained... :unsure:

I like your list - additionally, my list includes::

Young player with no upper body strength,

Players showing lack of concentration - this can be trained.

low intensity

reluctance to challenge for the ball.

panic in the last 5 minutes 

ability to fold form april onwards

goalkeeper who will not come off his line.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I've considered him to be very pragmatic since the mid point of his tenure here, although I just looked at the definition and i'm not sure I've ever truely understood the word "pragmatic" and i'm definitely not sure it applies to Rodgers lol

"dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations."

Hahahaa yeah I think most (me included) see pragmatism in football as negative and cautious/defensive and essentially crap.

8 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

He went against our recruitment teams advice to sign Vestergaard & Bertrand.

Cannot argue with that, its the general consus it seems, I just hope that The Athletic are right and we will be back to following the approach that worked and got us here

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I like your list - additionally, my list includes::

Young player with no upper body strength,

Players showing lack of concentration - this can be trained.

low intensity

reluctance to challenge for the ball.

panic in the last 5 minutes 

ability to fold form april onwards

goalkeeper who will not come off his line.

Agreed on the low intensity. It is so easy to play against. 

I think the players have to also take some responsibility, for their own performances.

I wont criticise Kasper. He has saved us far more than he has cost us. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If we go out to Roma in the semis then the most exciting highlight of this season is going to be the  @Ric Flairroller coaster in this thread :D.

Hahaha no way am I the one/s to worry about if we do, I've realised in the last week or two I'm only in about the 70-80th percentile of Rodgers hater. Some of the fans posts over these last 3 games is vitriolic. My main issues are around the player conditioning, if he can't keep the squad fit he has to go. Everything else I still support him on just about.

7 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I was under the impression that we signed Vester to fill the CBs gap because of injuries?

My initial thought was that Jonny was more than likely to be unavailable frequently, so an experienced extra body would be sensible - initially it made sense, but it just has not worked for some reason

47 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Agreed on the low intensity. It is so easy to play against. 

I think the players have to also take some responsibility, for their own performances.

I wont criticise Kasper. He has saved us far more than he has cost us. 

I am not unhappy with kasper either - I believe  it would be possible  to coach him to address his weaknesses - our defensive corner problem is hurting us

2 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

You can't just take a micro viewpoint.

If we could field the team that won the 15/16 League, Where, with your best guess, we would finish this season?... 

If your guess is higher than 10th (which mine is easily!), One has to conclude that we have regressed since 2016. Unless 2016 was some sort of freak 10 points clear, blue moon, once in a lifetime moment? Which it wasn't.

There were clear reasons why over 9 months we obtained the best results:

Fabulous recruitment, previously.

A clear successful tactical strategy on the pitch.

Commitment from all players & staff.

We could defend very, very, well.

My point being, it clearly isn't all about coaching, however the captain of the ship, directs to the destination.

So my question again is... What are we trying to achieve by playing the way we do? I cant believe, that we are looking for most game control, but also to concede the most opportunities to score, that is illogical. That is the current situation, irrespective if you are Pro or Anti BR.

It's only getting worse & worse. You are all clinging to the hope of Conference Cup success... we may win it, who knows, but really is that the success you can plan from? Have confidence in? 

If we do win this cup, it does nothing, but sugar coat, the worsening failings that BR's methods are having on LCFC.

I agree totally. 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

You can't just take a micro viewpoint.

If we could field the team that won the 15/16 League, Where, with your best guess, we would finish this season?... 

If your guess is higher than 10th (which mine is easily!), One has to conclude that we have regressed since 2016. Unless 2016 was some sort of freak 10 points clear, blue moon, once in a lifetime moment? Which it wasn't.

Not like it was 5000/1 or anything.

• Like 1