Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

If we could field the team that won the 15/16 League, Where, with your best guess, we would finish this season?... 

If your guess is higher than 10th (which mine is easily!), One has to conclude that we have regressed since 2016. Unless 2016 was some sort of freak 10 points clear, blue moon, once in a lifetime moment? Which it wasn't.

Is that somesort of irony post? I can't get my head around it.

We won the top flight. If you think we've regressed since, then you won't be happy until we win the top flight again.

Also, did you honestly think a team that had spent 80% of the previous season bottom of the league was going to finish top 10? That is like Norwich staying up and finishing top 10 next season.

Puel was the first manager since O'Neill to not have us in a relegation battle in the PL and Rodgers is the first manager since O'Neill to deliver consistency and tophies.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's started to toy with pragmatic football last season, it yielded some good results vs the teams we'd previously struggled against in 2019/20 but he's also blurred the lines against teams we are comfortably stronger than when playing how we play best which is on the front foot and don't try ans shut the game down during a period of time where we struggle to do so.

I'm keen to see what the future holds, this season has been an outlier given the horrendous injuries but it seems so long ago that we've played high energy attacking football and committed to it whilst also having a 1st choice defence we could rely on and a midfield that worked. I worry the longer this has gone on, the harder Rodgers is going to find it to revert to what him and we are best at.

IMO Probably the fairist & pragmatic of posts on Rodgers & our season.

I do believe,Rodgers more than deserves,summer & beginning months of next season. 
But some,not all who question his competence to take us forward ,

put forward decent arguments…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

We definitely haven't regressed. I just think we haven't progressed as quickly as some would have liked. 

Surely we have regressed? Spent most of the last two seasons in the top 4 eventually finishing 5th and a lot of the time played exciting, attacking football. Also won the FA Cup and community shield

This year looking to finish top 10 whilst playing some of the dreariest football I can remember, dropping 29 points from winning positions and getting (so far) to a European Semi in a cup everybody called a load of shit and laughed at Spurs being in it 6 months ago. 

Edited by SecretPro

Earlier in the season we were scoring plenty 

rodgers knew we couldn’t defend so decided to play a more open game and attempt to outscore the opposition 

since defenders have begun to return, we have altered our approach to try and win games by keeping a clean sheet and nicking one at the other end. It’s not attractive but statistically it’s the most likely way to win games …….

Pretty sure that rodgers would like to play a more expansive game but his basic approach is to control possession and that way restrict the number and quality of chances we concede.  

29 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Surely we have regressed? Spent most of the last two seasons in the top 4 eventually finishing 5th and a lot of the time played exciting, attacking football. Also won the FA Cup and community shield

This year looking to finish top 10 whilst playing some of the dreariest football I can remember, dropping 29 points from winning positions and getting (so far) to a European Semi in a cup everybody called a load of shit and laughed at Spurs being in it 6 months ago. 

Let's wait until the end of this season. If we reach the final after beating Rennes, PSV and Roma we're definitely progressing. I still believe we're a bit unfair sometimes to the board, players and the manager. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I said this way back when he was first appointed, he's a great coach but he's truly awful in the transfer market when left to his own devices. The absolute key thing I said back then was keeping him reigned in and working within the existing and very successful transfer model and not letting him go off piste. The problem is Rodgers builds up capital with high placed finishes, FA cup victory and gets ahead of himself and wants to dictate transfer policy. He needs to become aware that this is not his strong point and that he needs to delegate this or it will forever be his achilles heel in terms of how successful he is overall.

And that's one of my biggest worries about keeping him after this season. This is summer is going to be transformative with the outgoings and incomings and I don't think I want him at the helm of that. Could set us back for a while. 

21 minutes ago, sdb said:

Do you/we know this? I hope it's true but it sounds too easy.

I also really have no idea on this issue..

I’d like these making these claims,give an in depth source,that cont be conceived

as flippant report that can’t be taking ‘ out of context’

plus I really couldn’t care, if he did make those descision(s),football history is full

of descisions that backfire, from great & average managers alike..

until I see how,Bertrand, & Vesty LCFC careers fade & rest,or move forward,I wont

think of dissing off the descision..We had no, repeat,we had NO, Backline…,,

Fringe or cover,or cover for them..

Like the dozos denying chronic long-term injuries,can’t / didn’t be rightly used as deep mitigating circumstances ,effect the quality of the squad…

Also Mendy…most ITK,staff,and management believed he was leaving and so couldn’t be planned for,in the the future..

What crap reasons to use in one’s campaign / agendas against any manager..

If they are frustrated (we all are) ,on our seasons performances & presentation,then ok..,, Doesn’t mean for me though,because of mitigating issues he should go…

But there are circumstances,I believe he & others have not made some big bubbies..Early he protected his players & appointed all blame in his direction.

Plus he never has used quality player long period loss,or their needed time to

rekindle form as an excuse..Yet he gets accused off the scale arrogance & stubborness…

FFs of course they have ,they are the strong traits of all football managers & coaches!! ..I don’t want a nice humble gentleman frontman ,in charge of our players…We need someone who can play and project all assets & needs of a 

ambitious top PL club manager.

So long as they don’t whine,hypocritical ,crocodile-tears..

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I also really have no idea on this issue..

I’d like these making these claims,give an in depth source,that cont be conceived

as flippant report that can’t be taking ‘ out of context’

plus I really couldn’t care, if he did make those descision(s),football history is full

of descisions that backfire, from great & average managers alike..

until I see how,Bertrand, & Vesty LCFC careers fade & rest,or move forward,I wont

think of dissing off the descision..We had no, repeat,we had NO, Backline…,,

Fringe or cover,or cover for them..

Like the dozos denying chronic long-term injuries,can’t / didn’t be rightly used as deep mitigating circumstances ,effect the quality of the squad…

Also Mendy…most ITK,staff,and management believed he was leaving and so couldn’t be planned for,in the the future..

What crap reasons to use in one’s campaign / agendas against any manager..

If they are frustrated (we all are) ,on our seasons performances & presentation,then ok..,, Doesn’t mean for me though,because of mitigating issues he should go…

But there are circumstances,I believe he & others have not made some big bubbies..Early he protected his players & appointed all blame in his direction.

Plus he never has used quality player long period loss,or their needed time to

rekindle form as an excuse..Yet he gets accused off the scale arrogance & stubborness…

FFs of course they have ,they are the strong traits of all football managers & coaches!! ..I don’t want a nice humble gentleman frontman ,in charge of our players…We need someone who can play and project all assets & needs of a 

ambitious top PL club manager.

So long as they don’t whine,hypocritical ,crocodile-tears..

Hi,  I accept your points..  Question is - why was mendy leaving?  Sure if he could have got a deal he would have gone and we would a lost a really good player.   Now we see how both last season and this he has come in and done well - very positive.  Yet why did BR etc not try to keep him here?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

We definitely haven't regressed. I just think we haven't progressed as quickly as some would have liked. 

So two seasons fluctuating the top 4 positions until the final weeks of the season and a FA cup win, to a season outside the top 10, until recently.

This maybe excused subject to injuries (even though on paper we had more options brought in Daka, Soumare, KDH emergence) but with form and football on par with Puels final months it’s hard to argue we haven’t regressed.

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Hi,  I accept your points..  Question is - why was mendy leaving?  Sure if he could have got a deal he would have gone and we would a lost a really good player.   Now we see how both last season and this he has come in and done well - very positive.  Yet why did BR etc not try to keep him here?

He did..

at least he mentioned it, just before season begin,when asked…

This forum nearly got what it wanted..Many FTers posting their negatives over another player.

Also many  others like myself,who believed when selected he had played well.

If a player does show a desire to move on,how much such a manager intervene

You seem to want to put another slant on Rodgers,where it’s just  everyday life at any club..

Edited by fuchsntf

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

He did..

at least he mentioned it, just before season begin,when asked…

This forum nearly got what it wanted..Many FTers posting their negatives over another player.

Also many  others like myself,who believed when selected he had played well.

If a player does show a desire to move on,how much such a manager intervene

You seem to want to put another slant on Rodgers,where it’s just  everyday life at any club..

Yes I see everything through a lens of Rodgers incompetence.   I am unhappy with his decisions and his style of play.   So I call it out.  We could achieve do much more with this squad and our club.   He is not taking us in the right direction.   Short term we now have to put fuch feelings aside and hope we can get passed Roma....  but that will not fix Brendan's flaws

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Don't you know the Foxestalk golden rules

Don't like the current manager = crap player he was signed by the manager,  good player club signing

Like the current manager = crap player he was signed by the club,  good player manager signing

This stuff is a kind of pointless in modern game IMO; managers are coaches now, we have a DoF and head of recruitment, an entire scouting department. Lots of people are to thank/blame for a good/bad signing, including the coach admittedly but they are only one part of the machine, and to a much smaller extent than in the past at most clubs. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

This stuff is a kind of pointless in modern game IMO; managers are coaches now, we have a DoF and head of recruitment, an entire scouting department. Lots of people are to thank/blame for a good/bad signing, including the coach admittedly but they are only one part of the machine, and to a much smaller extent than in the past at most clubs. 

You cannot point fingers at crowds *

* Unless you are Harry Maguire

13 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

So two seasons fluctuating the top 4 positions until the final weeks of the season and a FA cup win, to a season outside the top 10, until recently.

This maybe excused subject to injuries (even though on paper we had more options brought in Daka, Soumare, KDH emergence) but with form and football on par with Puels final months it’s hard to argue we haven’t regressed.

The title win was the high water mark. Yes we were amazing but the traditional top teams were not up to the recent standard as well.

Two top 6 finishes and an FA Cup.

This season is a blip that can hopefully be explained by a very compact schedule, some major long-term injuries and perhaps a wantaway Tielemans yielding some really poor performances and disappointing results 

In the context of the last decade it's very much an upward trend, and we're very quickly at the point where a top 10 PL finish and a European semi is a disappointment.

We can continue to challenge the Big Six and be there or thereabouts in the coming campaigns. I think that realistically this is the best scenario for the club as the investment gap in the league/world widens. We will live in hope of a few more major upsets along the way, perhaps yielding some more cups if the wind is blowing in the right direction.

I'm happy to see what next season brings, and hopefully Brendan develops along with the squad. I'm not aghast at the prospect of a long period under Rodgers - yet.

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

What this complete thread boils down to is that if we were to sack the manager we would then be looking for a manager with a better cv and we would not get one coming here

Depends whether we'd be willing to pay the next manager £10m a year or not. Have a butchers hook at the list of managers in the game on way less than that and then it increases the pool of quality managers whom might be interested in 200 bags a week.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Depends whether we'd be willing to pay the next manager £10m a year or not. Have a butchers hook at the list of managers in the game on way less than that and then it increases the pool of quality managers whom might be interested in 200 bags a week.

Doesn't mean we will get the right one.

People seem to think hiring a new manager guarantees success, there is as much risk in finding a new manager as there is as keeping Rodgers.

Man U have plenty of money, they have gone though Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose, Ole, Rangnick.

I think we needed a reset, but for me that BR having less control on Transfers and Medical and just focusing on being a good coach. 

Edited by coolhandfox

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Doesn't mean we will get the right one.

People seem to think hiring a new manager guarantees success, there is as much risk in finding a new manager as there is as keeping Rodgers.

Man U have plenty of money, they have gone though Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose, Ole, Rangnick.

I think we needed a reset, but for me that BR having less control on Transfers and Medical and just focusing on being a good coach. 

Of course it doesn't but one of the biggest attempted shut downs on the Rodgers criticism is that we should be thankful with what we've got as there's very little chance we'll get someone better. It's lazy retort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Yes I see everything through a lens of Rodgers incompetence.   I am unhappy with his decisions and his style of play.   So I call it out.  We could achieve do much more with this squad and our club.   He is not taking us in the right direction.   Short term we now have to put fuch feelings aside and hope we can get passed Roma....  but that will not fix Brendan's flaws

What's all this "we" stuff. This is your take. Have you ever thought it may be you that has the flaw? 

What is the right direction?

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Of a  it doesn't but one of the biggest attempted shut downs on the Rodgers criticism is that we should be thankful with what we've got as there's very little chance we'll get someone better. It's lazy retort.

I agree. 

He definitely deserve criticism and also deserves to be under pressure to perform. 

Like most on here I don't think this season has been good enough.

But unlike some, I've seen a few green recovery, and would like to see him get the summer and to start the season.

But I caveat that with the club management being in control of the summer transfer business.

I also would like to see the new approach to player fitness to continue, the way the return of Fofana and Evans has been dealt with give me some hope we can get a fit squad again.

Nothing really to do with BR but I'm also liking the small changes in the academy.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4