Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If our fans didn't take to Puel there's no chance they'll take to him.

Puels biggest issue was arrival to midtable mediocrity, Rodgers has stabilised us in a team around the top 7 you'd imagine. If Emery could work his european magic here then the broken English and Good ebening bollocks would be worshiped like dilly ding dilly dong

....Van Bronckhorst has done a really good job with Rangers so far and their success in Europe has been admirable with the teams the have played and beaten!!!

The manager at Club Brugge has assembled an exciting team, who play as a unit where everyone seems to pull their weight equally. Every time I have seen them, they have worn down their opposition with 90 minutes of front foot football, and do not attempt to force the game as they know the goal will come. They also have a couple of good players, with De Ketelaere being one and Noa Lang being another, Skov Olsen (Right Winger) Tajon Buchanan(RW) are also quality players in that team.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling Error.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Van Bronckhorst has done a really good job with Rangers so far and their success in Europe has been admirable with the teams the have played and beaten!!!

The manager at Club Brugge has assembled an exciting team, who play as a unit where everyone seems to pull their weight equally. Every time I have seen them, they have worn down their opposition with 90 minutes of front foot football, and do not attempt to force the game as they know the goal will come. The also have a couple of good players, with De Ketelaere being one and Noa Lang being another, Skov Olsen (Right Winger) Tajon Buchanan(RW) are also quality players in that team.

Hasn't the Club Brugge manager responsible for a lot of their success left in the last year or soon to leave?

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hasn't the Club Brugge manager responsible for a lot of their success left in the last year or soon to leave?

....just taken a look at this!!!

Philippe Clement (born 22 March 1974) is a Belgian professional football coach and former player who is the manager of Ligue 1 club Monaco.[1] Born in Antwerp, he played as a defensive midfielder for clubs including Beerschot, Genk, Coventry City, and Club Brugge. Clement played 38 times with Belgium national team and was in the team for the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000.

As a manager, he has won three consecutive Belgian Pro League titles, with Genk in 2018–19 and with Club Brugge in 2019–20 and 2020–21. He was appointed as head coach of Monaco in January 2022.

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record
P W D L Win %
Waasland-Beveren 1 July 2017 18 December 2017 22 9 5 8 40.9
Genk 18 December 2017 30 June 2019 82 47 21 14 57.3
Club Brugge 30 June 2019 3 January 2022 129 71 33 25 55.0
Monaco 3 January 2022 present 20 11 5 4 55.0
Total 253 138 64 51 54.5

Alfred Schreuder (Current Manager)

Schreuder has been sacked a few times.

In March 2019, it was announced that Schreuder would succeed Julian Nagelsmann as head coach of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim from 1 July 2019 after signing a contract until 2022.[18] However he was sacked by the club on 9 June 2020 since his form was not up to the expectations of the board.[19]

In August 2020, Schreuder joined FC Barcelona as assistant-manager under Ronald Koeman, both signing a 2-year deal with an escape-clause option after the first year.[20]

On 3 January 2022, Schreuder was appointed as head coach of Club Brugge, replacing Philippe Clement who left to manage Monaco.[21]

Managerial record by team and tenure
Team From To Record Ref
G W D L GF GA GD Win %
Twente (interim) 26 February 2013 1 April 2013 4 1 1 2 4 4 +0 25.00 [22]
Twente 1 July 2014 30 August 2015 45 16 15 14 71 65 +6 35.56 [23]
1899 Hoffenheim 1 July 2019 9 June 2020 33 13 8 12 50 57 −7 39.39 [24]
Club Brugge 3 January 2022 present 16 12 2 2 33 12 +21 75.00  
Total 98 42 26 30 158 138 +20 42.86
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

The manager at Club Brugge has assembled an exciting team, who play as a unit where everyone seems to pull their weight equally. Every time I have seen them, they have worn down their opposition with 90 minutes of front foot football, and do not attempt to force the game as they know the goal will come. They also have a couple of good players, with De Ketelaere being one and Noa Lang being another, Skov Olsen (Right Winger) Tajon Buchanan(RW) are also quality players in that team.

We’ve suggested two managers there who are being outcompeted by rivals despite being in a hugely advantageous situation when the seasons/begun the manager took the reign 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

So statistically and objectively our greatest ever manager. Yet apparently we can very easily do much better.....

I don’t know if you know this but one can both be good at something and still be replaced. I mean, we canned Ranieri and he led us to unthinkable highs.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Phenom said:

I don’t know if you know this but one can both be good at something and still be replaced. I mean, we canned Ranieri and he led us to unthinkable highs.

Yes and we were about to get relegated and hadn't scored in 5 games. I don't know if you knew that.

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I agree on some of your points over this season, but there has been so mitigating circumstances that as built up each month.

It feels a bum season,because what achievements was delivered after Puel..

We performance wise have been well off the mark..

Yes I do believe,Rodgers has made mistakes,and fairly he can be called out on them…but he hasn’t been personally responsible for coaching mishaps,nor players

ill discipline on their expected basic skills..

For what we all thought was potentially possible we have had bum season,Rodgers as manager takes an high responsibility because they were and are in his tenure…I definitely don’t agree he is stubborn or arrogant & that is why

hes been bad. Fans forget through all descicions on player change & tactics, are not selected/chosen for one game periods,with Tweeks a coach, understanding fans will want to see them have a run,even when they are not successfull.
We have to recognise & accept our injuries would of upset that and unbalanced

those ideas. If a manager has a 80% squad ,with returnees showing old form,

managers can balance that out, but our squad was torn for long periods with quality & star players not being at the races ,team sufferered,even when at different times individuals had good periods..ie Maddison of 2022..+ others.

Sometimes it seems nothing works..

Just my honest opinion,he deserves a bit of trust because the success,

also with the thought,I would like to see what

The product ‘Brendan Rodgers’ can do with…

small changes, new player investment & turn around plus a 90-  99% fit squad.

IMHO he deserves that..

You're very reasonable.  Yet 

1. I do not think bredan accepts what a poor season it's been... let alone accept it.  He blames poor performance in injuries and ganes

2. Players' focus and concentration can be trained.... as with upper body strength... or encouraging kasper off his line.  If Brendan is doing these things then I cant say its worked.

3. Looking at how he is getting the Ladd to play has suggested to me that it is not the right direction for us... thought other fans may think differently 

37 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

We’ve suggested two managers there who are being outcompeted by rivals despite being in a hugely advantageous situation when the seasons/begun the manager took the reign 

....not sure I quite understand what you are saying, but for information!!!

Postecoglou (Celtic) was appointed June 2021 and Van Bronckhorst (Rangers) was appointed November 2021.

Schreuder (Club Brugge) was appointed January 2022 and Felice Mazzu (Union St. Gilloise)  May 2020

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Postecoglou (Celtic) was appointed June 2021 and Van Bronckhorst (Rangers) was appointed November 2021.

Schreuder (Club Brugge) was appointed January 2022 and Felice Mazzu (Union St. Gilloise)  May 2020

Van Brockhorst took a team of champions with no major departures and a four point lead at the top of Scottish Premier League. Celtic started the season in full rebuild mode and find themselves now six clear of Rangers. It's Europa League run which has been very kind in opposition excepting an excellent win over Dortmund (lost both away games at Belgrade and Braga). 

Club Brugge as Belgium's only Champions League representative have a vastly superior budget and therefore better squad to the rest of the Belgian League but currently find themselves chasing a newly promoted team with a fraction of the budget and failed in the national cup. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

No one is seriously suggesting Postecoglou or Van Bronckhotst are they?

11 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

You're very reasonable.  Yet 

1. I do not think bredan accepts what a poor season it's been... let alone accept it.  He blames poor performance in injuries and ganes

2. Players' focus and concentration can be trained.... as with upper body strength... or encouraging kasper off his line.  If Brendan is doing these things then I cant say its worked.

3. Looking at how he is getting the Ladd to play has suggested to me that it is not the right direction for us... thought other fans may think differently 

have you ever stopped to consider that maybe he’s just not good at it ? That when he works on this in training more often than not it results in gifting goals? 

we’ve had about  8 managers since we signed kasper , you think none of them tried to work on it? 

He’s only 6 ft and probably realises he’s got a better chance stopping the shot than challenging 3 6ft 4 centre halves in a crowded box. Just one of those things that can’t necessarily be taught easily it’s a stature thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

have you ever stopped to consider that maybe he’s just not good at it ? That when he works on this in training more often than not it results in gifting goals? 

we’ve had about  8 managers since we signed kasper , you think none of them tried to work on it? 

He’s only 6 ft and probably realises he’s got a better chance stopping the shot than challenging 3 6ft 4 centre halves in a crowded box. Just one of those things that can’t necessarily be taught easily it’s a stature thing. 

Done us good though  😍Though I thought Mark W v good 😍

Edited by FoxnNorfolk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Julien Laurens mentioned us as a potential landing spot for Pochetino should Rodgers leave 

Surely Poch would be flying a private jet and wouldn’t need to change planes anywhere, much less Leicester?

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

...he previously came off his line to catch the ball, when he first moved here!!!

Later on he started to punch the ball, when that became all the rage for keepers to do. Our transition to zonal marking would I suspect have been the reason for him to stay on his line, in order not to insert confusion in the defence, when we need to coordinate our efforts to defend. 

You will notice that upon taking a lead, he then begin to come and catch the ball from crosses coming in.

Hopefully a demonstration tonight of what he does, and how he changes his approach, depending on the game itself.

Brendan does find it difficult to play two games a week because of stubbornness with player selection, tactics and substitutions plus player rotation. 

Looking at Klopp or Pep this week, they send their teams to win and attack rather than play passive slow boring football, hardly creating any chances now.

We only get excited if we do a counter attack now and again.

Hope he's flexible and makes changed early if needed today so they can be effective instead of bringing on subs with only 10mins to go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brendan does find it difficult to play two games a week because of stubbornness with player selection, tactics and substitutions plus player rotation. 

Looking at Klopp or Pep this week, they send their teams to win and attack rather than play passive slow boring football, hardly creating any chances now.

Hope he's flexible and makes changed early if needed today so they can be effective instead of bringing on subs with only 10mins to go.

Blimey give the bloke a break.

When you've got the 2 best sides in world football it's a lot easier to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Klopp's wide options, Salah, Jota, Diaz, Mane 

Pep's; Striling, Grealish, Foden, Mahrez, Silva 

Everyone of those options would be be a star player in our team and better then all our options

Brenden's Barnes, Lookman, Perez, Albrigton.

Calling him out for not being attacking enough is fair, but using Klopp and Pep for context is just plain stupid.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Some of the crap people peddle about him is unreal, the expectations are absurd. 

Not singling you out pmcla26, just a good entry point,

This thread is a disaster, yeah there are vitriolic anti Brendan posters but there is also a clique who believe themselves to be reasonable sorts but in reality spend their time being smart arses and either misunderstanding or strawmanning others, throughout the forum.

As for the topic, I am stuck between the trenches.

We have had a near full squad for a few weeks now.

We may not have the depth of quality of Liverpool but we have squad players who managed to somehow beat Liverpool so I think they are usuable on a football pitch, 2 games a week is a disadvantage but.......

8 defenders plus Vestegaard,

4 wingers

2 forwards

Central midfield a little more complicated but 3 plus Mendy and Hamza.

Some of the above are adaptable to different positions and we also have a couple U23s knocking on the door.

I was dissapointed in the lacklustre approch to the last 3 league games and win or lose, would have prefered more ambition. Not suggesting a strict A and B team over this period, things are more subtle, but we effectively threw those last 3 away and I would have been happier giving it a good go with Hamza, Perez and Co and having fresher players today-

The glory days dont come very often

On a more positive note, hope to be out on the razzle tonight impressing the the locals with my Leicester hat and charm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Some of the crap people peddle about him is unreal, the expectations are absurd. 

My expectations are not unreal - can't speak for others. 

Ranking: This season I was looking for 6th.

I expect us to have more than 2 shots on target per game:- 6 would be a minimum against all but top 6 where i would reduce it to 4.  

You see while we can bicker about the league position... yet I don't think anyone can think that our application and creativity against villa was right (65% possession 2 shots on target.... at home); or our ability to concede late against everton(!) (64% possession 3 shots on target)/..... or Newcastle(!!)

Yes I expected  us to beat everton, newcastle and villa - not unreal?

• Like 1

On 27/04/2022 at 11:59, Chocolate Teapot said:

I think that's it though - under Puel I could name you half the Premier league that were better than him. Currently I think there's possibly 3 or 4 better - pep, klopp, tuchel and conte - beyond that I'm struggling. Same goes for other leagues - of those that you mention some don't speak the language and there's very few examples of a coach not speaking English and it working and others don't want to leave their current role. It's very very difficult now to get a better manager that would be a definite upgrade, there's going to have to be a massive punt when he leaves as Rodgers was to sone extent.

Also wouldn't assume there'd be the same budget for the next manager, likely to be a lot less if Rodgers has to leave early.

In terms of better managers in the league, what Moyes has done with West Ham taking them from relegation candidates to Europe (potentially twice in a row) and to a Europa league semi final I would say is equally as impressive as what Rodgers has done here. Yes Rodgers has won the FA cup but before Moyes came in we were able to roll out our B squad against west ham and still comfortably beat them, now he's somehow turned a side with a converted fullback/winger as a striker and a backline containing craig dawson into genuine contenders in Europe. 

Edit: also if arsenal finish in the top 4 spots this year i think Arteta would be above Rodgers as well.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 2