Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

BWe played a virtual second 11 today against an entitled 6 first team.  We have a semi-final on Thursday. 

Today adds little to any Rodgers discussion.

Anyone demanding him out currently seems to be offering a limited view.   He is the first manager to lead us to a European semi-final following being the first.manager to lead us to the FA Cup.

Rodgers has weaknesses but he, unless he decides otherwise,  will lead us into next season.

Brendan has pursued a high risk strategy in recent weeks - as I said when he embarked on it. He’s sacrificing league position - and given the form of Wolves and West Ham  - a position in Europe potentially, in favour of securing a EL place via winning  the EL conference. To make that gamble a justifiable one he needs to beat Roma on Thursday and then win the final. Without that it will all have been for nothing. The last minute defeat to Newcastle, the last minute draw with Everton , the tepid draw with villa and the half/hearted defeat to Sperz. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

Really? We played the second team, for obvious reasons and you're using the fact we didn't win as a stick to beat Rodgers with? You've got to be desperate for validation to try that. 

I was thinking the same thing reading some of the comments. Rodgers can be very frustrating, but what happened today was not a stick to beat him with. 

Admittedly I was left feeling somewhat disappointed because I felt that Tottenham were actually very ordinary. 

23 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Only spurs or Arsenal will come in for him. Both are unlikely. 

Around a year ago there were suggestions of him being off to Man City when Guardiola leaves. I always had doubts about that being true and I certainly can't see it happening now. 

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I was thinking the same thing reading some of the comments. Rodgers can be very frustrating, but what happened today was not a stick to beat him with. 

Admittedly I was left feeling somewhat disappointed because I felt that Tottenham were actually very ordinary. 

Its not a stick to beat him with yet…

That being said, he’s let our league form and position slip by playing the reserves to focus on Europe which isn’t a bad thing but at the same time if we timidly crash out on Thursday these decisions will come back to bite him. 

I don’t expect a win on Thursday but the bare minimum is we have to be competitive. A performance like today and he will be under real pressure.

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Around a year ago there were suggestions of him being off to Man City when Guardiola leaves. I always had doubts about that being true and I certainly can't see it happening now. 

No way Man City go for him. Nagelsmann will be be next in charge after pep. 

Guest Col city fan
56 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

That's rich from you lol

Stop kissing Brendans arris and actually discuss something. You might find it refreshing

Though on here that’s possibly expecting too much 

Edited by Col city fan

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can't see one of the PL 'big six' coming in for Brendan now. Maybe Brendan's next gig will be abroad. Doesn't he speak more languages than C3-PO?

I think if they were going to recruit him, they’d have done so by now. I believe the ‘big clubs’ know that Rodgers has his limit. He’s definitely a tier down from elite manager. Like the rational City fans know, blowing the top four two seasons would worry the biggest clubs. 

Edited by Col city fan

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can't see one of the PL 'big six' coming in for Brendan now. Maybe Brendan's next gig will be abroad. Doesn't he speak more languages than C3-PO?

No club abroad is paying a year or more of his salary in compensation to release him, the only way something like that happens would be if we mutually agree its time we went our seperate ways and a club had come in for him.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No club abroad is paying a year or more of his salary in compensation to release him, the only way something like that happens would be if we mutually agree its time we went our seperate ways and a club had come in for him.

Yeah, that's what I meant - when either we go our separate ways or his contract expires - I think his next job could very likely be abroad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah, that's what I meant - when either we go our separate ways or his contract expires - I think his next job could very likely be abroad.

Contract not expiring until 2025 is a truly daunting prospect if things get really hairy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Contract not expiring until 2025 is a truly daunting prospect if things get really hairy.

We are pretty much stuck with each other at the moment. He's doing well enough not to be in danger of the chop, but not well enough to entice a big club to make a move for him.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This perhaps used to be an issue. But when did it last happen? Has he not shown some level of patience recently? Vardy, Fofana, Evans, Castagne, Justin all coming back in last few months and didn't play 90 mins first up to my memory. 

I mean if he has shown patience then great, afaik Justin got injured after being thrown back in for 90 but could be wrong, in terms of the last injury crisis before this season, it was last season. 
Regardless of whether he learns from his mistake of throwing players back in too quick, he clearly isnt learning his lesson of not crippling every team he manages with injuries.

5 hours ago, BKLFox said:

But he says that so is that not on the players?

listen what gets me is that there is no rationale in the thinking, posters are saying we are not doing good enough and he is taking us one way…but what are they marking that on?
They are marking that against the 2x 5th place finishes right?..but what starting 11 got those 2x 5th place finishes.. bang… they are marking this season with our 2nd string against our 1st string, it’s chalk n cheese ffs the mere fact we know where we can be with our 1st string but “fans” would rather get rid despite being handcuffed this season just blows my mind…surely you see that? 

...the injuries this season are the major problem which we have had this season!!!

His tactical decisions and team choices along with the ongoing set piece problems, which he has previously been unable to address, has added to our sub par performances this season

. The same issues are still there with our squad almost back to a full compliment, and that could just be players coming, back not yet being up to speed. The players are a product of his coaching, all within their environment, and they lack the mental strength to stand up and be counted and easily drift out of games, they are mentally weak, very much a product of the environment that they find themselves.

6 hours ago, majaco said:

BWe played a virtual second 11 today against an entitled 6 first team.  We have a semi-final on Thursday. 

Today adds little to any Rodgers discussion.

Anyone demanding him out currently seems to be offering a limited view.   He is the first manager to lead us to a European semi-final following being the first.manager to lead us to the FA Cup.

Rodgers has weaknesses but he, unless he decides otherwise,  will lead us into next season.

The only reason we’re in a Euro semi-final is because we choked out of a group we should have won comfortably or finished second in our sleep.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

He also had a fully fit squad all season, which we haven't had the luxury of at any point this season. Let's see how good bright would be without 6 first team players for 3/4 of the season, they already dropped 6 positions with a full team and lost 6 on the bounce at one point.

But if you hate Brendan that much then that's your agenda. We are below where we should be but with a summer rework we'll be fine

As others have mentioned, it’s no coincidence at every club Brendan has been at, injuries are more extensive. 

Also even on the odd occasions when we have near to a fully fit squad. We have still been absolutely doggo. Most fans can see we are predictable, sideways passing with very little direct quick touch and move passing in and around the box.

plus the issue with defensive frailties.