Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 hours ago, BKLFox said:

But he says that so is that not on the players?

listen what gets me is that there is no rationale in the thinking, posters are saying we are not doing good enough and he is taking us one way…but what are they marking that on?
They are marking that against the 2x 5th place finishes right?..but what starting 11 got those 2x 5th place finishes.. bang… they are marking this season with our 2nd string against our 1st string, it’s chalk n cheese ffs the mere fact we know where we can be with our 1st string but “fans” would rather get rid despite being handcuffed this season just blows my mind…surely you see that? 

Not at all……

fans can accept a second string team

against  a string spurs team, with a euro game looming. We can also accept losses are part of football.

it’s the constant mistakes defending. Even if individual errors, there is a reason that defender hasn’t done what’s expected. Essentially it’s the managers job to explore why and do what’s possibly to stop it happening again, this doesn’t seem to be happening. 

it’s the dour and turgid football week in week out, with the odd exception. The slow build up, passing it back and forth, sideways, then hoping our wingers will get to the by line to cross. Teams know what to expect. 

why don’t we move he ball quicker?

confidence? Ability? Tactics? Formation? 

Again it’s the managers job to coach change, if he is, it’s been too long if not seeing any improvement.

The capitulations (Bournemouth, Man City et Al) losing two 4th place finishes….

but it’s okay as we scrapped an FA cup (let’s be honest we rode our luck in the final) 

Just heard Brendan saying in his after match remarks that we have conceded yet more soft goals (again). Would have thought he might expect that is likely to happen when his style of football is to take 10 passes to reach the halfway line with all the risk that entails. Teams know we play like this and exploit it regularly. 61% possession at Tottenham meant nothing other than looking good on TV.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, turkish14 said:

Not at all……

fans can accept a second string team

against  a string spurs team, with a euro game looming. We can also accept losses are part of football.

it’s the constant mistakes defending. Even if individual errors, there is a reason that defender hasn’t done what’s expected. Essentially it’s the managers job to explore why and do what’s possibly to stop it happening again, this doesn’t seem to be happening. 

it’s the dour and turgid football week in week out, with the odd exception. The slow build up, passing it back and forth, sideways, then hoping our wingers will get to the by line to cross. Teams know what to expect. 

why don’t we move he ball quicker?

confidence? Ability? Tactics? Formation? 

Again it’s the managers job to coach change, if he is, it’s been too long if not seeing any improvement.

The capitulations (Bournemouth, Man City et Al) losing two 4th place finishes….

but it’s okay as we scrapped an FA cup (let’s be honest we rode our luck in the final) 

I agree with your assessment until the last sentence. We won the fa cup! We played the final well. Defended well and scored a timeless goal against the eventual European Champions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The only reason we’re in a Euro semi-final is because we choked out of a group we should have won comfortably or finished second in our sleep.

I would rather us be in the Europa League semi.

We are in a semi-final because we wo  the FA Cup and because we have won two-legged kncok out rounds.

Rodgers' record is good.   There may be managers that would.come in and do better;  there are definitely managers that would.come in and do worse.   I think, I hope, that next season will be better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The only reason we’re in a Euro semi-final is because we choked out of a group we should have won comfortably or finished second in our sleep.

So what was the alternative? Get purposely knocked out of the ECL and become more of a laughing stock? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You'd hope it's loaded with clauses, especially with the amount he's on and the length of it.

The pay off is likely to be the same with 3 years left or 18 months or so, usually its a years salary paid up to them, possibly less if they find another position within a certain period. 

8 hours ago, l444ry said:

Just heard Brendan saying in his after match remarks that we have conceded yet more soft goals (again). Would have thought he might expect that is likely to happen when his style of football is to take 10 passes to reach the halfway line with all the risk that entails. Teams know we play like this and exploit it regularly. 61% possession at Tottenham meant nothing other than looking good on TV.

Possession doesn't make you lose a header for the 1st goal, or lose a 60-40% tackle in your favour for the 2nd goal.

Once again people glossing over the fact, the chuckle brothers Soyuncu and Amartey both made massive mistakes that cost goals.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The pay off is likely to be the same with 3 years left or 18 months or so, usually its a years salary paid up to them, possibly less if they find another position within a certain period. 

So it being until 2025 has no real relevance then. Anyway I was alluding to us saying if you don't achieve x you'll only receive a certain percentage, compared to us just wanting rid.

37 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Possession doesn't make a lose a header for the 1st goal, or lose a 60-40% tackle in their favour for the 2nd goal.

Once again people glossing over the fact, the chuckle brother Soyuncu and Amartey both made massive mistakes that cost goals.

It does if you lose possession overplaying as a team which leads to the individual issues you point out .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, l444ry said:

It does if you lose possession overplaying as a team which leads to the individual issues you point out .

Exactly. Rodgers tactics have exacerbated our issues. Too stubborn sometimes. He's the coach if he can't fix basics defensively idk what he needs to do then. I think soyuncus mind is another place but amartey well he has a mistake in him but he's a good backup. Soyuncu needs to go. But Rodgers is tje coach, the supreme authority, he has to get his tactics right 

You can also lose the ball if you try to play a progressive pass that isn't really on. I get frustrated just like everyone else but this isn't a black or white issue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Exactly. Rodgers tactics have exacerbated our issues. Too stubborn sometimes. He's the coach if he can't fix basics defensively idk what he needs to do then. I think soyuncus mind is another place but amartey well he has a mistake in him but he's a good backup. Soyuncu needs to go. But Rodgers is tje coach, the supreme authority, he has to get his tactics right 

Disagree, the game is in constant flux in terms of tactics and responses to tactics, just the type of football that seems to be desired is just not as practical as some think. An out ball if not always on, due to better coaching cutting out passing lanes, so should we just take a punt and hope the pass comes off, or recycle and try again?

Edited by Dahnsouff

I must admit I did find Brendan’s comments after the game a little odd. Firstly, a manager can get players fired up and more committed to the cause. A manager can also allow complacency to set in.  His comments were also clearly aimed to absolve himself of any responsibility, again. 

• Like 1

Just now, roblcfc84 said:

I must admit I did find Brendan’s comments after the game a little odd. Firstly, a manager can get players fired up and more committed to the cause. A manager can also allow complacency to set in.  His comments were also clearly aimed to absolve himself of any responsibility, again. 

Did not see the whole post match comments, what did he say? Only saw the bit about ‘you cannot install aggression’ which must be true to some degree and I did note Deeney’s comments on this too, and thought he made a good point.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

So what was the alternative? Get purposely knocked out of the ECL and become more of a laughing stock? 

The point is, using “we’re in a semi-final!” as an argument to bolster the manager is a little silly when we never should have been demoted into the competition in the first place.

Edited by Deeg67

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Disagree, the game is in constant flux in terms of tactics and responses to tactics, just the type of football that seems to be desired is just not as practical as some think. An out ball if not always on, due to better coaching cutting out passing lanes, so should we just take a punt and hope the pass comes off, or recycle and try again?

...you have watched us in possession at the back!!!

We pass it between our defenders and each pass we make an attacker is closer and closer to closing the recipient of the pass down. Eventually out of sheer panic the ball is played to our keeper who under great pressure just kicks it anywhere.

This is not an isolated tactic by us, it happens every game and not just once within a match.

Recycling the ball is not something that we do well, we are negative and slow, and afraid to take a chance on an individual creating something, than be berated for losing the ball, having been in possession. 

Stats wise, our possession numbers outweighs our opponents, but they are happy to endure this, as we do not threaten their goal or cause them any undue concerns.

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Did not see the whole post match comments, what did he say? Only saw the bit about ‘you cannot install aggression’ which must be true to some degree and I did note Deeney’s comments on this too, and thought he made a good point.

I think you saw what I saw, but his answer is simply to replace the players. I totally get the need to strengthen and clearly some players are not good enough. But when asked why we can’t defend set pieces he just said aggression. Clearly there’s more to it, for one we have seen an improvement since we ditched zonal marking. And I genuinely believe a manager can instil commitment and desire.  

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

...every person placed in a certain situation has the ability to be aggressive!!!

They just have to be in that environment where they feel threatened, for them to react in a way, that they would not normally do.

There is a scope to build a squad where your role is threatened on a weekly basis,  and you have to fight to maintain a dominance over the player next to you. Allowing players to come in and train and then take off until the next time without that player knowing that any shortcomings within that session, has been scrutinised, and previous instructions and directions that has not been incorporated in what he has just shown, will only engender a spirit where being good, is not good enough.

You can create an environment where aggression is controlled and part of a discipline, you just need to have the same mindset to carry it out.

41 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

I think you saw what I saw, but his answer is simply to replace the players. I totally get the need to strengthen and clearly some players are not good enough. But when asked why we can’t defend set pieces he just said aggression. Clearly there’s more to it, for one we have seen an improvement since we ditched zonal marking. And I genuinely believe a manager can instil commitment and desire.  

You could be the world’s authority on defending corners, you can tell a player where to stand and what to do if x happens but what you can’t do is attack the ball or jump to head the ball or outmuscle an opposition for him that comes from within

47 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The point is, using “we’re in a semi-final!” as an argument to bolster the manager is a little silly when we never should have been demoted into the competition in the first place.

But we were. And now we are in a semi final. 

Do you enjoy being in the semi final? Or see it as something to resent? 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You could be the world’s authority on defending corners, you can tell a player where to stand and what to do if x happens but what you can’t do is attack the ball or jump to head the ball or outmuscle an opposition for him that comes from within

We have been consistently outthought by Kane for years.I am sure Rodgers drilled the defence to try to stop him but we never do , he is too clever.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We have been consistently outthought by Kane for years.I am sure Rodgers drilled the defence to try to stop him but we never do , he is too clever.

We are not a big enough or a physical enough side. The other sides have evolved and we haven't. Big summer. Pun intended.

32 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...every person placed in a certain situation has the ability to be aggressive!!!

They just have to be in that environment where they feel threatened, for them to react in a way, that they would not normally do.

There is a scope to build a squad where your role is threatened on a weekly basis,  and you have to fight to maintain a dominance over the player next to you. Allowing players to come in and train and then take off until the next time without that player knowing that any shortcomings within that session, has been scrutinised, and previous instructions and directions that has not been incorporated in what he has just shown, will only engender a spirit where being good, is not good enough.

You can create an environment where aggression is controlled and part of a discipline, you just need to have the same mindset to carry it out.

Not sure how to respond in one way I can say there is an environment you describe and the way you describe it & that’s called the1980s and it’s toxic a team run on fear nowadays will not work.

I also know what you mean but don’t you think we have that, don’t you think that every 1 of those players that played yesterday knows that if they fec up they won’t play on Thursday or next Sunday.

The truth is we are not Man City, Tielemens knows he is not getting dropped for Hamza C you say those environments can be created but in reality those environments are brought and we don’t have the funds to have 2 Tielemens