Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It's not a case of us not finishing top 6 though? It's that we've been stale for a calendar year and people (in my opinion, rightly) have concerns.

It's perfectly achievable to think the guy has done a respectable job but reckon a change suits all parties, here. You don't have to be angry or apologetic to either's extreme.

That’s fine I just take exception to people calling the guy a fraud when he obviously isn’t and has proved he isn’t. 

16 minutes ago, Joefox said:

And what happens when the next guy can’t get us in the top 6 either? Get rid of him as well? Fact is Rogers has WON things at this club and got us two of our highest finishes in the Premier League. He deserves more respect than people calling him a fraud. Finishing in the top 6 is going to very difficult no matter what manager we have. I think it’s disgusting how he gets treated by some people on here actually throwing their toys out the pram cos we’re not competing for the champions league this season. 

But it's not though is it? We've been in the bottom half for most of the season, having lost more games than we've won.  Likely to finish below teams like Brighton and Newcastle.

Cups can sometimes negate your performances in the league but to have completely fallen off a cliff across the board, I think it's a fair question for the manager.

Edited by TK95
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

The same Mancini that's just failed to get Italy to a World Cup? 

I mean Ranieri was sacked by Greece before taking over here and look what happened there…

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

The same Mancini that's just failed to get Italy to a World Cup? 

International football isn’t the be all and end all , he did win the Euros remember?, his club management is spot on, and he would be an upgrade on Brendan imo

Starting on a positive, we would be highly unlikey to get relegate with Brendan in charge. We'd have more than enough quality and determination to grind out a Southampton or Brighton style total over the course of a season to safely be mid table and get to the odd cup quarters or semis. A new awful coach could see us doing an Everton.

The flipside of course is that its not enough from one of the best paid managers in the league. And we'd never qualify for europe again.

On balance, thanks for the 5ths, the european semi and the fa cup but its time to go once the season ends.

I don't think the situation we find ourselves in is as binary as Rodgers IN or Rodgers OUT.

Three Semi finals, two 5th place finishes and the FA Cup is a fantastic return. We have overachieved under Rodgers. So he has to get credit for that. Especially compared to the Shakespeare/Puel era. And some of the football we played in the early part of his tenure is among the best the club has ever seen.

But it now feels like the squad is stale and overcoached. They've had all of the blood and fire coached out of them. And fundamental problems are still persisting and depending on how you count it they've been there for 6-18 months now.

• Set piece weaknesses
  • injury record throughout the squad
  • conceded too many chances
  • don't create enough chances

Pragmatically, how likely is it that the same manager and largely same group of players flips that?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Starting on a positive, we would be highly unlikey to get relegate with Brendan in charge. We'd have more than enough quality and determination to grind out a Southampton or Brighton style total over the course of a season to safely be mid table and get to the odd cup quarters or semis. A new awful coach could see us doing an Everton.

The flipside of course is that its not enough from one of the best paid managers in the league. And we'd never qualify for europe again.

On balance, thanks for the 5ths, the european semi and the fa cup but its time to go once the season ends.

Although most of the injured players are back the disruption caused has no doubt ruined the season as a whole. There would be a financial penalty to sack BR and staff and no guarantee new bloke would have the answers. I am as fed up as the next fan but let us see what the season ends like and the summer rebuild

The Rodger's thread is hot therefore it is time to flail around and try and find reasons why we have been so poor this year.  The reasons could be simple like injuries or complex with multiple factors, then we try and rationalise it, and come up with our own reasons, thus we turn into deranged lunatics.  The reality is we just don't know the true reasons, all I know is that the emperor has new clothes!  Rodgers isn't as good as he thinks he is and he's not as good as we thought he was.

I'm still sitting on the fence with regards to Rodgers because I don't see an alternative out there, those hoping to get Mankini or Dick Emery need to get a reality check.

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 1

In terms of the summer, doesn't feel like the club has the money or a strong enough reason to push out a (potentially) good manager. It's impossible to know how much influence Rodgers had or now has over transfers. Whilst we do make the odd fantastic signing, I think our recruitment quality is a little overstated, especially looking at the last few windows

This also has to all be set within the context of knowing that there are 6 clubs that have and do spend far more than us. They're huge brands and pulls for players. Villa and Everton (despite their woes) have outspent us the last few years. Now add Newcastle to that list, who in the space of one window have overtook us on spending and league position.

Last night feels similar to when we got knocked out of the Champions League - the end of an era - and the club and fanbase have to do a bit of soul searching and will go through a bit of an identity crisis. Will be tough for fans who have seen a few years of european football and FA cup win, but reality is I think we'll be mid table for the next few years

• Like 2

And I’m not convinced Emery or Mancini would come in and do a better job that Rogers either. Give them bags full of money they probably yea. When I say offer a solution I say it cos it’s easy to come on here calling for the managers head and then not say who you’d replace him with who is better? Is Emery or Mancini going to get us as high as Rogers did? No and no IMO. Be careful what you wish for is all I’m saying. No need for people to get childish about it.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tell me why then? 

Great manager, too good for us atm unfortunately. He turned down Newcastle in January, who are a far more attractive offer than us atm.

1 minute ago, daddylonglegs said:

Oh my god, this

But on the flip side, to suggest that because joe bloggs says there is someone better, is valid? 

Nah, neither point of view is obviously definitive, it is all opinions, those that want him gone for whatever reason, fine, those that want him to stay for whatever reason, fine.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't want to us to play the way do, in the slow and passive sense. Either the players aren't good enough to play like this or Rodgers isn't good enough at getting them to do as he wants. 

Rodgers wants us to be like Man City, recycle possession, keep the ball, wait for space to appear, moving defenders about etc. But we either pass it around with no purpose looking like we will lose it at any second, mainly down to poor first touches or booting it into the channels and hoping the striker gets in. Bit easier to play that way when you have De Bruyne, Mahrez, Silva and Foden on the ball. 

Unless its running in behind, out movement is atrocious, particularly from whoever the front 3 are, there is no rotation in positions or anything that can generate space. We hope for a through ball or a one-two in the wide areas to get the full back in, and that's pretty much it. 

We need to be more like Liverpool than Man City. High energy from everyone but you still need a front 3 capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Great manager, too good for us atm unfortunately. He turned down Newcastle in January, who are a far more attractive offer than us atm.

Emery is ALL about possession, people would go mental with how that would work in a high pressing premier league   lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

He didn’t join Newcastle as Villarreal were still

in the CL and they wanted to have a clause in his contract regards relegation. 

What's happened to our fullbacks? When we were playing well over the last two seasons, they were like wingers, supporting the attack and giving us width.

Last night we needed this, as they were playing wingbacks, with the potential to double up.

I know they've suffered injuries but they don't look like attempting to push forward. The difference is stark. Is it a tactical thing?

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

But on the flip side, to suggest that because joe bloggs says there is someone better, is valid

Nah, neither point of view is obviously definitive, it is all opinions, those that want him gone for whatever reason, fine, those that want him to stay for whatever reason, fine.

No it definitely isn’t valid, cos a lot of people were calling for Sean shitting Dyche. 

The point the OP is making is that football is an enormous, global game. We hire people to look out for future potential in managers.

its not the responsibility of some person on FT to come up with some cutting edge alternative manager, just because he/she feels Rodgers isn’t good enough anymore. 

Just watched his post match interview, had to stop after 1 min 😂 same thing every week. 
“Great Atmosphere, great stadium, conceded at set piece, lacking in final 3rd”

If he repeats this week in week out, how much of blame should he shoulder himself? In most walks of life, the buck stops with the manager, yet it always feels like he is blaming the players (which I suppose most football managers do). 

The players haven’t been good enough, and some have looked like they’re only worried about leaving injury free (which at this club I can’t blame them 😂), but the same issues have been apparent for a while now, not just this season. 

If he stays and we continue 10 games in conceding from corners and barely having a shot on target with 60% possession, he’s getting the sack. There isn’t much in the style that is any different to Puel’s time here.