Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Thank you, jesus. I'm so fed up of seemingly normally quite bright people asking me "yeah but who would you replace him with?" 

If I had the answer to that the club should be paying me six figures a year ffs. 

I'm all for getting Finners on the board. Make it happen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't want to us to play the way do, in the slow and passive sense. Either the players aren't good enough to play like this or Rodgers isn't good enough at getting them to do as he wants. 

Rodgers wants us to be like Man City, recycle possession, keep the ball, wait for space to appear, moving defenders about etc. But we either pass it around with no purpose looking like we will lose it at any second, mainly down to poor first touches or booting it into the channels and hoping the striker gets in. Bit easier to play that way when you have De Bruyne, Mahrez, Silva and Foden on the ball. 

Unless its running in behind, out movement is atrocious, particularly from whoever the front 3 are, there is no rotation in positions or anything that can generate space. We hope for a through ball or a one-two in the wide areas to get the full back in, and that's pretty much it. 

We need to be more like Liverpool than Man City. High energy from everyone but you still need a front 3 capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. 

This is essentially it, he's focused more on how he wants us to play than what the best system is for the players at his disposal. It's this rigidity which has led us to where we are now - we pass the ball around aimlessly, doing absolutely nothing and creating absolutely nothing. It's turgid. He can surely see it's not working, so why not try and adapt or change course? It's incredibly frustrating. 

• Like 1

I don't think he'll go because he's bought himself a lot of credit with the management but they do seem to be shifting things around in the back, so Brendan doesn't have so much control. 

This isn't me excusing him and the performance last night was absolutely dire. But, I really want to believe that with some players shifted (Youri, Cags) we can have another solid season. 

I try to think that only 7 teams can get European football and there's 6 in the league that can brute force their way there, if they wish. If you look at the league, how many clubs have an ethos or a project - Man City, Liverpool, West Ham (now they've seen what Moyes can do) and us. The rest are just swanning about and hoping to keep the good times going. 

8 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

No it definitely isn’t valid, cos a lot of people were calling for Sean shitting Dyche. 

The point the OP is making is that football is an enormous, global game. We hire people to look out for future potential in managers.

its not the responsibility of some person on FT to come up with some cutting edge alternative manager, just because he/she feels Rodgers isn’t good enough anymore. 

No it isn’t our job but I guarantee the alternatives the club come up with will be very similar to some of the names mentioned on here. Ie Emery, Mancini etc

Man U thought it was a good idea to give Ole the job permanently ffs then sat there for 3 years watching him blunder about. Just cos people get paid a lot of money for doing something doesn’t means it equates to making a good decision. 

The board do not deem it appropriate to change the manager at this moment in time and I agree with them? Is that a crap decision as well? They get paid a lot to make them?

Edited by Joefox

Taking this season out of the equation, he has been very successful whilst here, but rightly our league performance and the capitulation at Forest are raising questions.

In my humble opinion, we should give him the summer and the first half of next season and then reevaluate. Even if we don’t improve, his style of football and a full strength squad should get us a mid-table finish without much problem unless there is a player mutiny. 

Edited by W7Fox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

No it definitely isn’t valid, cos a lot of people were calling for Sean shitting Dyche. 

The point the OP is making is that football is an enormous, global game. We hire people to look out for future potential in managers.

its not the responsibility of some person on FT to come up with some cutting edge alternative manager, just because he/she feels Rodgers isn’t good enough anymore. 

So why not let Top and these hired people decide when they judge the time is right?

Think thats possibly the proper opposing point I should have made, and yes, I do get the frustration but we are looking through a keyhole at this situation, and to us its only evidenced by the latest game, in this case, defeat.

• Like 1

I think it is best to look at things at the end of the season. If we struggle in the next 3 games and end up close to the relegation spots I would be very worried about the direction the club is heading.

We haven't managed to strengthen the first 11 either with the recruitment but the manager is not responsible for all of that. The injuries to Fofana Evans Ndidi and Vardy and Rodgers previous seasons must count for something and I would be happy enough to give the manager time to see what he can do.

10 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't want to us to play the way do, in the slow and passive sense. Either the players aren't good enough to play like this or Rodgers isn't good enough at getting them to do as he wants. 

Rodgers wants us to be like Man City, recycle possession, keep the ball, wait for space to appear, moving defenders about etc. But we either pass it around with no purpose looking like we will lose it at any second, mainly down to poor first touches or booting it into the channels and hoping the striker gets in. Bit easier to play that way when you have De Bruyne, Mahrez, Silva and Foden on the ball. 

Unless its running in behind, out movement is atrocious, particularly from whoever the front 3 are, there is no rotation in positions or anything that can generate space. We hope for a through ball or a one-two in the wide areas to get the full back in, and that's pretty much it. 

We need to be more like Liverpool than Man City. High energy from everyone but you still need a front 3 capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. 

If it's the players not good enough, then to replace them with the quality of players that are likely to be near the quality of Man City etc is clearly not possible for a club like ours. Therefore, the alternative is to be flexible and play a system that our players can excel in (rather like Ranieri did with his/Pearsons squad).

If Rodgers is unable or unwilling to, then there's really only one answer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Are people now finally realising that the football under Rodgers is as turgid as it was under Puel?

I'd argue it's more frustrating given the squad / resource at his disposal - but the football definitely isn't as bad as Puel. 

Difficult to compare though, given those differences and their respective job remits.

17 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I have a feeling we have this within us, but it's that consistency we missed. The injuries and the regularity of a 2/3 games per week takes its toll. We saw it against Palace for the first half - high press, high energy and they barely laid a glove on us. 

I think with a less-intensive schedule next season and perhaps more consistency with the actual personnel of the team starting, we could see a return to a high energy game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Surely, it’s the biggest thing isn’t it? Who will replace him? If there is someone better out there then replace him, if there isn’t then we should stick with what we’ve got?

The grass isn't always greener is certainly an argument in some cases, where the team is playing at its level and it'd be difficult to get more out of them without investment (e.g. Arsenal in the final years of Wenger) but it shouldn't be a justification for mediocrity and underperformance. We know this is not the level that this side is capable of, we've seen far better under Rodgers, but he's no longer getting that tune out of them and doesn't seem to be trying anything different to. We've seen that Iheanacho and Daka can do pretty well at this level with a strike partner but still he sticks to this 4-2-3-1 formation. We've seen the quality that Maddison has in that number 10 role but he sticks to playing him out wide. We're struggling to break sides down but there's no attempt to mix up the tempo in games. We play one dimensionally, we don't get results, Rodgers seems happy with it. It could get (even) worse is not justification to stick with poor quality performances

• Like 2

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Not really considering Rodgers has already won an FA Cup pre-dating last nights game whereas Moyes hasn't won anything. 

Equally, I understand that second part, but at the same time, surely we have to acknowledge that there are certain aspects that are out of the manager's control? 

West Ham were relegation fodder before Moyes took over and looked certs to drop - I'd argue that puts significant credit in his bank, too - as the cup does with Rodgers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I have a feeling we have this within us, but it's that consistency we missed. The injuries and the regularity of a 2/3 games per week takes its toll. We saw it against Palace for the first half - high press, high energy and they barely laid a glove on us. 

I think with a less-intensive schedule next season and perhaps more consistency with the actual personnel of the team starting, we could see a return to a high energy game. 

Not an attack on you bet I really really hate this excuse of playing two games a week. If professional athletes are not capable of playing two games a week then something is seriously wrong

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Not an attack on you bet I really really hate this excuse of playing two games a week. If professional athletes are not capable of playing two games a week then something is seriously wrong

I'm not saying they're not capable. Just that we don't get the best out of them when they're having to do it for several weeks in a row.  Even Liverpool and Man City have been able to have a midweek rest recently. 

I'm trying not to use it as an excuse as ultimately I agree with you, but when that volume of games intensifies it will have repercussions. The injuries and disjointed spells also add to it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But it's the responsibility for them to decide when he "isn't good enough anymore"? Can't have it both ways mate. 

If someone is acknowledging that (in their opinion) Rodgers isn’t up for the job, that’s all they’re saying.

Just because someone wouldn’t answer ‘yeah but who else would you bring in?’ , doesn’t mean that their original point is invalidated. They’re two different points. 

• Like 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

But you can't say one point is fair and not the other lol 

fair point 1: Rodgers isn’t up to it

Fair point 2: but who is going to be better than Rodgers?

totally moronic point: because a fan can’t answer point 2, that means point 1 is invalidated 

33 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He didn’t join Newcastle as Villarreal were still

in the CL and they wanted to have a clause in his contract regards relegation. 

There are plenty of clubs who would be a more attractive option than us. Setting the sights a bit high imo. Villarreal are a club with the same stature as us, he’s taken them very far, his next move will be to a big club. 

We’re going to have to look lower down, or in lower quality leagues if we’re going to replace Rodgers. There probably are people who fit the bill, not sure who they are tho. 

• Like 1