Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Does anybody seriously believe the club will sack Rodgers? I mean actually believe it? 

Nope, I'd be massively shocked if we sacked him. But I live in hope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Does anybody seriously believe the club will sack Rodgers? I mean actually believe it? 

Looking at the pics last night of him with top. I doubt it very much. 

It's interesting that some on here who are Pro Rodgers are saying that they want to give him the summer rebuild but only give him till Christmas if bad form continues. If he is given the license to reshape our squad over the summer we are essentially putting all our eggs in his basket as you dont want to bring new players into an environment where the man that wanted them is gone halfway through the season. If we give him this transfer window as a rebuild we must also give him the entirety of next season as well, no half measures. I think some on here need to look inwards if they are so adamant that Rodgers should be here this summer but also say that he should be gone by christmas if form does not pick up and realise that they dont have the confidence in Rodgers' ability as a manger that they thought they did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Even if they really wanted to, it'd cost too much money and also make them look stupid, so it's not gonna happen anytime soon. 

How so? It’s not as if he hasn’t been backed!

Just now, pmcla26 said:

It will make them look like they've got unrealistic expectations. 

I think our owners have every right to expect European football no matter what level with the players and management. 

Just now, pmcla26 said:

I don't think so. After two top 5 finishes (which both ended dodgy) and an FA Cup win, finishing 11th (at best) with a limp, being bullied easily out of Europa at group stage and falling short in the Conference League looks a long way from progression to me, especially when the obvious goal is to finish each seasons with European football. I don't think anyone other than the mainstream media fan boys would bat an eyelid if we sacked him off. All the Liverpool fans I work with (there are many) ask me all the time when are we going to let him go. They say he's only good when he's winning, the moment it's not going well he become clueless. I'm tending to agree. 

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It will have no bearing on perception. If that was the case, we wouldnt have attracted any manager after Ranieri left. There will always be good managers available and we are a good club to work for. I think this opinion undersells us quite a bit. Very few have our facilities, recruitment and generally understanding owners. Very many clubs would've pushed the button after getting embarassed 4-1 by a championship team - Burnley sacked Dyche. Watford sack everybody. Everton dont have a great record. 

A serious question - at any stage yesterday did it look like the players were “playing for Rodgers”?

Not a single player put their head above the parapet - could you alternatively ask has Rodgers started to lose the dressing room?

11 hours ago, Diffco said:

It all comes down to bar anything, Rodgers assigning Ricky to mark Abraham. When he's scored countless goals this season, with the shortest man marker in the team. When Lesta are awful at corners. Absolute negligence. Criminal negligence in a semi final. I couldn't believe it. 

It's all very simple really its just maths, if they have 5 really tall guys & we only have 3 then their remaining 2 will be marked by smaller players from our side, there is no need to get the police involved.

• Haha 2

Just now, BKLFox said:

It's all very simple really its just maths, if they have 5 really tall guys & we only have 3 then their remaining 2 will be marked by smaller players from our side, there is no need to get the police involved.

Surely you'd get our tallest and best header of the ball to mark their most attacking threat, would you not?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

But if we knew they had tall players. And we knew our record at defending set peices, why wouldn't we negate that by selecting different players to cope with their ariel threats at set pieces? 

Isn't that what good managers do? 

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 2

Right now, i'm really not sure what to do here. It's somewhat mad to think he is now the 5th longest serving current PL manager (4th if you exclude Brentford, as this is their first season).  If he is ambitious, I can only assume he must be very frustrated with the current situation as it feels a long long way away from challenging for top 4 right now. He's nearly 50, so another few years of mid table and is he likely to ever get another top job?

Brendan is a very difficult person to warm to, which i think frustrates most fans. He reminds me of so many management consultants i have worked with who are slick, but ultimately aren't as great as they think they are, and always leave businesses in a worse position than when they started. He is clearly slick with the media and pundits, who don't criticise him anywhere near as much as they should do. There have let him get away with a lot this season, as Leicester have been allowed to fly under the radar a little too much. He gets too much support on the 'over achieving' angle etc. 

What i don't know is what he's like with the players. He's not an energetic, heart on the sleeve manager like Klopp or Pep, so doesn't give much away.  But then i see Fofana running to him after scoring against Rennes, and wonder is there more there than i realise?

I think i want a change, but concern myself with who it is, and think we should probably only do it if he has lost the dressing room. I don't want the likes of Potter or Dyche. Maybe going abroad is the best shout now. 

Edited by jamesp26
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Diffco said:

Surely you'd get our tallest and best header of the ball to mark their most attacking threat, would you not?

10 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

But if we knew they had tall players. And we knew our record at defending set peices, why wouldn't we negate that by selecting different players to cope with their ariel threats at set pieces? 

Isn't that what good managers do? 

Was there or was there not 100+ pages just on defending corners & 1 common theme being why do we put all our players in the box not allowing an out ie someone up top.
Well then he does that & recently its been 3 players (our quicker players) which meant they have to leave players behind reducing the amount of players in the box but now work the maths again & we are not then blessed with tall players, our 3 tallest 2x CB & JJ marked their 3 CBs we are then limited in cover for marking Zaniolo & Abraham unfortunately it was Abraham's that scored but lets say Evan's marks him & Smalling then scored because Ricardo had to mark him, this isn't Ice Hockey where we can have rolling subs for set plays & bring on Vestergaard, we just got a short arse team

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is the snake oil he peddles.

He's a very good coach and he's proved that but the half-truths and, sometimes, outright falsehoods he peddles in an attempt at protecting his identity are the reasons I find him difficult to warm to. 

He's oilier than the Exxon Valdez.

The love-in with Mourinho is fine in the privacy of their relationship but to be giggling and fawning in the media is just plain weird. He didn't seem particularly bothered about the loss last night and more concerned with congratulating a big club - another Rodgers idiosyncrasy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Was there or was there not 100+ pages just on defending corners & 1 common theme being why do we put all our players in the box not allowing an out ie someone up top.
Well then he does that & recently its been 3 players (our quicker players) which meant they have to leave players behind reducing the amount of players in the box but now work the maths again & we are not then blessed with tall players, our 3 tallest 2x CB & JJ marked their 3 CBs we are then limited in cover for marking Zaniolo & Abraham unfortunately it was Abraham's that scored but lets say Evan's marks him & Smalling then scored because Ricardo had to mark him, this isn't Ice Hockey where we can have rolling subs for set plays & bring on Vestergaard, we just got a short arse team

their most attacking threat. I'll say it again. Their most attacking threat. 

23 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

A serious question - at any stage yesterday did it look like the players were “playing for Rodgers”?

Not a single player put their head above the parapet - could you alternatively ask has Rodgers started to lose the dressing room?

I think it's easy to throw the "not playing for the manager shout", not that I necessarily think your wrong. My biggest concern is that they don't seem to be playing for the club, which, personal opinion, I think is an identity of this Rodgers team and style of play. Almost as if we have stripped back the core of our mentality in an attempt to make us a calm and focused total footballing outfit.

3 minutes ago, Diffco said:

their most attacking threat. I'll say it again. Their most attacking threat. 

i hear you in that its Abrahams but the reality is the main threat turns out to be the 1 that scores, we would be having the same conversation if it was Smalling or Mancini who both tower over Ricardo, Smalling is the same size as Abraham for example

• Like 1

Imagine if it was Rodgers who took over from Pearson not Don Claudio.

Does  anybody really believe we'd have won it?

The so called tinker man was wise enough to leave well alone but Rodgers would have killed the attacking spirit just as Puel did.

I see nothing but the same crap coming next season with the same pathetic excuses, its not the players its Rodgers and his tried and failed system.

• Like 2

I think it's time for a change. There's elements of his work which deserve a lot of credit but for me he's too caught up in ideology and ignores practicality. I think it's a flaw in the modern day coaching courses particularly those ran by the FA whereby they're too prescriptive. If a game doesn't play out as per the handbook they simply can't think outside of the box. 

Looking at the bigger picture and taking the FA Cup Final out of the equation our league form for the past 15 month's has been below expectation and far too inconsistent. Any other manager with this squad of players delivering that level of performance in that time period without an FA Cup would have been shown the door a long time ago. Of course he rightly deserved a degree of patience for winning the cup and the backing of the board last summer (both in terms of recruitment and retention) but for me it all just looks and feels very stale at the moment and I'm not convinced he has it in him to find the right formula.

I also see it as quite a pivotal moment. The loss of european football will act as a double edged sword with our better players wanting to move on whilst making it more difficult to recruit the standard of player necessary to push on. Furthermore, rivals who have underperformed now seem to be getting their act together so it's a much more competitive environment and we need to ensure that at the very least we keep up with the pace otherwise we'll fall back considerably. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Fair chance he has. Throws players under the bus. Has basically said half the first team are not good enough.

Also his boring football.

Who would want to play for him.