Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Pliskin said:

And they’re set to finish above us…… 

Are they? One point above us having played 2 games more and a far inferior goal difference. They’ve also still got to play Man City and Arsenal and go away to Burnley. 
Im confident we will at least get 9 points from our remaining games. 

• Like 1

If there are players who are definitely not here next season, I would not play them again this season. Might as well play who is and build up their familiarity with team mate and tactics.*

*   does not apply to Youri, it never does

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Newcastle have taken 38 points in 25 matches under Howe with the same squad that was in relegation territory when he got there.  Why in the world would they fancy downgrading to Rodgers?

Not strictly true as they shelled out £90 million on five January signings. Second point still stands though. 

• Thanks 1

We have become very predictable to watch again this season.. As soon as Roma scored on Thursday it was tie over.. We always struggle to break down teams that will defend deep.

we pass for the sake of passing and the build up is that slow we actually allow the opposition to get back into their formation quite easily before we start to probe away . There’s no counter attack threat any more… Just possession..

the amount of times our players play a needless one touch pass back to where it came from when they have far better attacking possibilities just baffles me..

our football needs to be quicker, and on the move.. it’s like playing standing football..

injuries or not this season, it has been a poor one..

our European conference run only came about due to us being knocked out of the EL

Our transfer business from last summer was also dreadful.. non of the new players would get anywhere near our supposed best starting line up

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Are they? One point above us having played 2 games more and a far inferior goal difference. They’ve also still got to play Man City and Arsenal and go away to Burnley. 
Im confident we will at least get 9 points from our remaining games. 

Are you? I’m pretty sure Everton will do us over on Sunday. There’s so little fight in this team.

Edited by Pliskin

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Newcastle have taken 38 points in 25 matches under Howe with the same squad that was in relegation territory when he got there.  Why in the world would they fancy downgrading to Rodgers?

My hope is that they see Rodgers as someone who can lift them to the next level. At some point in the next 12 months, Howe will fail to meet the ever increasing expectations and get the boot.

• Like 1

Ever since the Manchester United rumours you could tell Rodgers heart wasn’t in it anymore.

I think the owners have been very patient with him this season, but come the season end , I think the club will mutually part ways, only saving Grace has been the Europa conference league as far as keeping him in the job till now, dismal performances in the FA cup and league cup, and also in the league.

Things have become stale which seems odd to say, as we have moved into top quality training ground set up. 

7 hours ago, foxile5 said:

For all my criticism of Rodgers this is sad to see. 

He should be viewed as one of the greats but as it stands I'll remember the what could have beens.

If only he had a better advisory team around him and was capable of immediate change rather than watching the failures for too long. He would be sensational. 

Yes, Rodgers needs his own personal manager. I don't think he'll ever be one of the greats anywhere, he's a legend in his own lunchtime. 

51 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Not strictly true as they shelled out £90 million on five January signings. Second point still stands though. 

Of those signings though, one has been injured from nearly the start and not played, one ineffectual and not scored, only one has arguably contributed. 

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Because regardless of people think of Rodgers on here his reputation within football and the media is still very good.

He’s very good at protecting himself and deflecting accountability for anything. He’s constantly going with this overachieving narrative to enhance his reputation and the media buy into it.

I sense that Howe is only a stop gap appointment at Newcastle and he will be moved on, possibly in the summer. They would 100% see Rodgers as an upgrade on him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Ever since the Manchester United rumours you could tell Rodgers heart wasn’t in it anymore.

I think the owners have been very patient with him this season, but come the season end , I think the club will mutually part ways, only saving Grace has been the Europa conference league as far as keeping him in the job till now, dismal performances in the FA cup and league cup, and also in the league.

Things have become stale which seems odd to say, as we have moved into top quality training ground set up. 

You've brought up some good points.

I think we can tell from his comments praising other clubs that when the right offer comes he'll be looking to leave, it's just that he's done nothing this season to justify a contract offer better than he has here.

If those in charge judge Brendan on recruitment then they will be worried that his signings on the whole have been poor investments for a club that has a develop and sell high policy. So maybe a mutual parting is on the cards.

I hadn't thought much about the training ground but it is a great selling point to any potential manager.

• Like 1

Rodgers has said on many occasions that the annual objective of the club now is to qualify for Europe. In fact he used that line to mask the obvious disappointment of just missing out on the Champions League two years running.

This season, yes, we have had terrible injuries - and, furthermore, precious little luck - but the bottom line is that, for whatever reason (and boneheaded recruitment is high on the list), he has failed to meet that objective and Top, having supplied him with everything he needed, will not be happy.

It is imperative that we finish the season in the top half. If we plummet to, say, 15th playing the same dull, cautious football, then his position will clearly be under serious review.

25 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Of those signings though, one has been injured from nearly the start and not played, one ineffectual and not scored, only one has arguably contributed. 

If you’re talking about Trippier as the injured one he made massive contributions before that and the fans attribute a lot of the turnaround to him. Presumably the one who didn’t score is Woods who they bought as they’ve got so much money they can just do that to weaken a relegation rival and presuming your referring to Guimarres as the one that contributes you’ve forgot Dan Burn who has shored you their defence and replaced Lacelles.

Not to mention the fact it sends a message to all the other players if they don’t perform they’ll just get two other players in during the summer.

• Like 1

It is tough to watch us at times in my view. I'd just like to see a bit more goalmouth action. There's not enough chaos in the opposition's box. I get that two up top would probably mean we could be stretched in midfield but might that be countered by more excitement closer to goal? Maybe the trend for possession football has taken hold a bit too much. I think we can all see its merits but it can be mind numbing and it often allows the opposition to get in position. Anyone remember Paul Cooper throwing the ball out to the wings at Filbo and starting attacks? The element of surprise seems to be missing a bit in my opinion. 

This is usually the time, where his tenure at the club’s he has been at is coming to an end.

He’s managed 164 games for us.

At Liverpool ( 166 games)

At Celtic ( 169 games)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

This is usually the time, where his tenure at the club’s he has been at is coming to an end.

He’s managed 164 games for us.

At Liverpool ( 166 games)

At Celtic ( 169 games)

Flawed post quoting the Celtic stat.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Feed the narrative, you said he took over and done what he’s done with the same squad, reality is he spent £90m in a January window tell me the last time we spent that in a summer let alone a winter window.

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

If you’re talking about Trippier as the injured one he made massive contributions before that and the fans attribute a lot of the turnaround to him. Presumably the one who didn’t score is Woods who they bought as they’ve got so much money they can just do that to weaken a relegation rival and presuming your referring to Guimarres as the one that contributes you’ve forgot Dan Burn who has shored you their defence and replaced Lacelles.

Not to mention the fact it sends a message to all the other players if they don’t perform they’ll just get two other players in during the summer.

Yes your right, I did forget about Dan Burn! Trippier was brilliant for them but thought he only played 2 or 3 games. I admit to being very doubtful about Eddie Howe having seen him as another media hyped luvvie like Rodgers, however, he seems to be doing a very good job 👏 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Genuinely think this is all academic.

I said I thought earlier this season that Rodgers is almost untouchable at the club.

He’s clearly ‘in’ with the hierarchy, he’d cost a kings ransom to get rid of and we don’t have a clear successor.

I think we can debate this all we like but I doubt he’s going anywhere.

I would say that a situation like this is rarely a healthy one. When somebody wields so much power anywhere really, they can become sluggish, blasé, and feel they can just get away with poor performance.

I think Rodgers is in that position at the moment. There seems to be no desire amongst himself or the players to crack on and move up a notch.

24 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Feed the narrative, you said he took over and done what he’s done with the same squad, reality is he spent £90m in a January window tell me the last time we spent that in a summer let alone a winter window.

Even given that, then he's managed to integrate his new talent well, has Rogers? Praet, Under, Daka, Soumare and Vestergaard, are they all poor players.

He's not had a sudden £90m hit no, but he has been been here 3 years,  inherited a very good squad which has been added to each year and our performances on the pitch, regardless of results, have been consistently poor for well over a year.