Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Genuinely think this is all academic.

I said I thought earlier this season that Rodgers is almost untouchable at the club.

He’s clearly ‘in’ with the hierarchy, he’d cost a kings ransom to get rid of and we don’t have a clear successor.

I think we can debate this all we like but I doubt he’s going anywhere.

I would say that a situation like this is rarely a healthy one. When somebody wields so much power anywhere really, they can become sluggish, blasé, and feel they can just get away with poor performance.

I think Rodgers is in that position at the moment. There seems to be no desire amongst himself or the players to crack on and move up a notch.

sadly.... i think you are right (...on this one)

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Even given that, then he's managed to integrate his new talent well, has Rogers? Praet, Under, Daka, Soumare and Vestergaard, are they all poor players.

He's not had a sudden £90m hit no, but he has been been here 3 years,  inherited a very good squad which has been added to each year and our performances on the pitch, regardless of results, have been consistently poor for well over a year. 

I think my mum could integrate 4 senior Premiership seasoned professionals into the riggers of English football, i will give you Bruno but at the same time he’s a Brazilian international with something about him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Even given that, then he's managed to integrate his new talent well, has Rogers? Praet, Under, Daka, Soumare and Vestergaard, are they all poor players.

He's not had a sudden £90m hit no, but he has been been here 3 years,  inherited a very good squad which has been added to each year and our performances on the pitch, regardless of results, have been consistently poor for well over a year. 

Why are you including Praet but not Justin, Fofona or Castagne? Or is that just to fit your narrative?

Eddie Howe has spent about £85mill on four new players and three of them (Trippier/Wood/Burn) have all played in the Premier League for a long time. I wouldn't say it'd take a superb manager to "integrate" these three players, even though I do like/rate Howe as a manger.

Also, Newcastle's recent form has been good, and on a given day you can only beat the opposition in front of you, but they haven't had a single result that has made me take notice of them. They'e taken points from games I would've expected them to, even more so after spending so much in January. Howe has won 11 games (in 25) and they were against; us, Norwich, Palace, Wolves, Southampton, Brighton, Brentford, Villa, Everton, Leeds, Burnley. Four of those games were away (Leeds/Southampton/Brentford/Norwich).

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Why are you including Praet but not Justin, Fofona or Castagne? Or is that just to fit your narrative?

Eddie Howe has spent about £85mill on four new players and three of them (Trippier/Wood/Burn) have all played in the Premier League for a long time. I wouldn't say it'd take a superb manager to "integrate" these three players, even though I do like/rate Howe as a manger.

Also, Newcastle's recent form has been good, and on a given day you can only beat the opposition in front of you, but they haven't had a single result that has made me take notice of them. They'e taken points from games I would've expected them to, even more so after spending so much in January. Howe has won 11 games (in 25) and they were against; us, Norwich, Palace, Wolves, Southampton, Brighton, Brentford, Villa, Everton, Leeds, Burnley. Four of those games were away (Leeds/Southampton/Brentford/Norwich).

Your first point is a very fair observation and they should be part of the equation and it was unfair of me. I think Fofana is an exceptional player though and would fit in anywhere.

All three players Newcastle bought went straight into the team on a regular basis until poor Trippier got injured. 

Under is still a bit of a mystery though somewhat. Never really even got a chance yet is doing well again at Marseille. Praet again, never really given a good run of games in a settled position. Meanwhile, the hapless Perez was persisted with on the right throughout? Hidden agenda as the managers choice and 30m spent perhaps?

Justin you rightly mentioned and in fairness, until injury, was arguably  even vying for an England call up playing on the left. Strange however upon return, that Rodgers sticks him on the right with Castagne, a better right sided player on the left?

Soumare is again a bit of an obscure situation and thereare various rumours. Presumably Under, Praet, Daka and Soumare were bought in because they showed a particular expertise when they were,  playing in a particular way. A good question perhaps would be whether they've been given a fair chance here whilst being played in a manner commensurate with their skill sets in a similar to when they were scouted? If not why? Should not a way of playing be found to incorporate their talents rather than expecting all of them to do something alien to them? There are also isdues regarding how Iheanacho and  Lookman are being employed  too.

We could spend a lot of money following that agenda and get no further forward I'd suggest. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Corky said:

The concern I have is how much emphasis is being put on the "rebuild" (which is Rodgers idea) as opposed to working with what we've got. I don't think we need a massive overhaul and I can see an unpopular sale over the summer.

With how Rodgers is talking, he isn’t going anywhere so yes I’m expecting big changes and maybe for the best. If we aren’t challenging top six next season after these changes then yes Rodgers will be the one out I feel 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I said I thought earlier this season that Rodgers is almost untouchable at the club.

He’s clearly ‘in’ with the hierarchy, he’d cost a kings ransom to get rid of and we don’t have a clear successor.

I would say that a situation like this is rarely a healthy one. When somebody wields so much power anywhere really, they can become sluggish, blasé, and feel they can just get away with poor performance.

I think Rodgers is in that position at the moment. There seems to be no desire amongst himself or the players to crack on and move up a notch.

Only thing I would say is Rodgers is obsessed with protecting his reputation and although he has plenty of credit in the bank with what he did here in the first few years, the salary he is on and the expectation of achieving European football each season means even his ability to swerve criticism will be in jeopardy and his dreams of another shot at a big club in tatters so he has plenty of incentive to not be going through the motions here.

• Like 1

Should get next season for sure, but if the terrible injury record continues we need to think seriously about intervening. Finishing below 10th is underperforming but if there are cup runs along with it I'd say that's ok overall.

If we're knocking around 12th or worse and also doing nothing in the cups then it's harder to justify keeping him on.

Edited by ealingfox

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

If the club are even considering keeping him then I won't be watching next season, it will be the same bollox all over again, boring.

Don’t you hate it when one of our most successful managers is in charge, really grinds my gears too!😂

Get a grip man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Seems abit like the Dyche situation at Burnley, felt like Dyche was running the whole club in from transfers to player management, coaching and match tactics etc.

Now the new owners saw this as a problem and got rid of him.

The caretaker manager has given the players freedom to play how they want and the results being that they are playing positive football and winning.

I read yesterday that Dwight McNeil has said that his improvement under Mike Jackson is because he's given him confidence and they are no longer playing the rigid system that was imposed on the players even through they didn't like it.

Seems this playing this safe Defensive  Dyche way is also the Brendan way which is resulting in player performance going backwards.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
18 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

We need a rebuild. Massive changes. More possession?  Same old same old. Do we have £200 million to spend? No. 

there will be no massive rebuild unless we sell 2 or 3 of our star players. Then incoming players on Brendan’s shoulders. Do you trust him to improve the squad? I don’t. 

Did Rodgers sign little Wes? Genuinely can’t remember? If so… brilliant signing of course

But his others have been pretty average tbf. Soumare, Perez, Daka for instance.. none of them clear ‘first teamers’

2 hours ago, Corky said:

The concern I have is how much emphasis is being put on the "rebuild" (which is Rodgers idea) as opposed to working with what we've got. I don't think we need a massive overhaul and I can see an unpopular sale over the summer.

You genuinely think this squad is not in need of overhaul ?? Wow … it’s not a top 10 squad

Kasper (his distribution is no longer good enough for the speed of the premier league) he really isn’t that great on set pieces either too much indecision mostly based around his lack of stature / needs replacing 

Evans (really slow, still a squad player but Baby Wes needs a little help Covering speed) , too slow in box to react to set pieces : needs replacing 

cag’s refusing contract and as such needs to go 

youri ( going ) also refusing contract so he needs replacing 

albrighton (needs replacing) 

Vardy is finished, sad to say he isn’t that player anymore and next year is going to be his last : needs replacing 

daka/Mandy/Perez chaudrey: just not top 10 premier league players : All need replacing 

and cos we are SKINT : properly skint ! He will have to sell Barnes or Maddison to subs some of this 

I can see United testing us on Fofana as well 

WE NEED A REBUILD ….. if we stick with this lot we will be in a mess soon enough ! 

53 minutes ago, Dames said:

One thing i’ve been considering over the the past few days is that its a complete and utter myth that he develops younger players.

I’ll give him his dues, he give them chances and trusts them but do they actually improve or develop?

Since he’s been here almost every young player has either stagnated or regressed. 

Harvey Barnes is half the player he was when Rodgers turned up.

Luke Thomas is struggling a lot more often.

KDH has not sustained the form he had earlier in the season and is making a lot more mistakes.

Throw in that Tielemans and Soyuncu are still quite young and have completely fallen off a cliff in terms of development. Maddison whilst in good form is inconsistent and arguably no better than when Rodgers joined. 

Fofana is probably the only player that has maintained any level of decent performance.

I’ll also make a mention of Justin who quite frankly defensively has been honking since he came back but he’s had a massive injury and not a consistent position so he does get a bit of slack until next season. 

Thomas has dropped off for sure I wouldn't agree on Barnes or KDH, particularly KDH who I think has improved over the course of the season.

Edited by ealingfox

6 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

This is usually the time, where his tenure at the club’s he has been at is coming to an end.

He’s managed 164 games for us.

At Liverpool ( 166 games)

At Celtic ( 169 games)

That is quite odd that if he left after this season he'd finish with the same number of games at us and Celtic.

Although I don't think he'll go - unless we absolutely tank from here (which I don't think is totally out of the question even despite the fixtures).

5 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

Not sure what manager, in their right mind, would want to manage our highly inexperienced young squad on this pittance. 

Screenshot_20220507_111122.jpg

Yep. It's laughable that people think managers wouldn't come here.

I reckon Emery would come here. Probably for less money than that as well.

51 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

You genuinely think this squad is not in need of overhaul ?? Wow … it’s not a top 10 squad

Kasper (his distribution is no longer good enough for the speed of the premier league) he really isn’t that great on set pieces either too much indecision mostly based around his lack of stature / needs replacing 

Evans (really slow, still a squad player but Baby Wes needs a little help Covering speed) , too slow in box to react to set pieces : needs replacing 

cag’s refusing contract and as such needs to go 

youri ( going ) also refusing contract so he needs replacing 

albrighton (needs replacing) 

Vardy is finished, sad to say he isn’t that player anymore and next year is going to be his last : needs replacing 

daka/Mandy/Perez chaudrey: just not top 10 premier league players : All need replacing 

and cos we are SKINT : properly skint ! He will have to sell Barnes or Maddison to subs some of this 

I can see United testing us on Fofana as well 

WE NEED A REBUILD ….. if we stick with this lot we will be in a mess soon enough ! 

Are you joking me? Even Rodgers wouldn't say that.

• Like 3