Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

When Dennis Praet is free to speak his mind , it should be an interesting insight into Rodgers's thinking. He won't say anything of course while he is under contract.

So you admit he's not said anything? So what do you think he would say and how do you know? 

When your football manager earns 4th biggest salary in EPL ( 10 mil. per year)

You would expect that his performances  must justify the money he was getting.

Is this the case here?

I don't bloody think so.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

I won’t argue with that. Rodgers for good chunks of 18 months managed to get a very good level out of these players. The ones he brought into the team, gave them opportunities which boosted their confidence. 

The issue i’m getting at is that over the past 18 months the same players who hit those heights have struggled to get to them again and in most cases regressed. 

A good manager would have built on those first 18 months. An example of a manager improving a player is that Pearson got Kevin Phillips coaching Jamie Vardy and that turned him into a world class striker. 

I refuse to believe these players can’t get better or more consistent, not with the levels of ability they’ve shown in the past. 

Yeah that’s fair enough and Barnes certainly can get better.

The counter-argument is Rodgers was the one who got them to that level in the first place, so you’d hope would have as good a chance as any to be able to do so again.

5 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

When your football manager earns 4th biggest salary in EPL ( 10 mil. per year)

You would expect that his performances  must justify the money he was getting.

Is this the case here?

I don't bloody think so.... 

Two Top 5 finishes, a European Semi Final and a club-first FA Cup win. I think that justifies the money. Every manager has a bad season. The highest paid manager in your league just failed yet again to win the Champions League, with billions of pounds of investment given to make that happen. That's the trophy he was brought in to win. And he's failed every season. Is he earning his money? 

You have to allow a drop now and then. Progress is never a straight line. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Yeah that’s fair enough and Barnes certainly can get better.

The counter-argument is Rodgers was the one who got them to that level in the first place, so you’d hope would have as good a chance as any to be able to do so again.

I was hoping he would but I genuinely think he has a shelf life and is past that now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

Two Top 5 finishes, a European Semi Final and a club-first FA Cup win. I think that justifies the money. Every manager has a bad season. The highest paid manager in your league just failed yet again to win the Champions League, with billions of pounds of investment given to make that happen. That's the trophy he was brought in to win. And he's failed every season. Is he earning his money? 

Edited by kiwiturk

19 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

there's a drop off and there is relegation form, which is what we have been in

• Like 3

Just to put where we are in perspective,  we are at present 12 points off the god awful manure in 6th but only 10 points off Everton in 18th (same number of games too).

Frankly this season under Puel.... errr l mean Rodgers has been a total failure and next season it will be much worse l believe.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

There's more to lose than gain from these fixtures. It's a load of games against sides with nothing to play for, two of them are already relegated. We beat Norwich and Watford... big deal. Lose to them however....

I can't really envisage any scenario in this next five games where I go into next season with a substantially more optimistic output than I currently do. It'll be an extension onto what's already happened.

Win 4 of the last 5 with plenty of goals and I'll be relatively happy. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dames said:

One thing i’ve been considering over the the past few days is that its a complete and utter myth that he develops younger players.

I’ll give him his dues, he give them chances and trusts them but do they actually improve or develop?

Since he’s been here almost every young player has either stagnated or regressed. 

Harvey Barnes is half the player he was when Rodgers turned up.

Luke Thomas is struggling a lot more often.

KDH has not sustained the form he had earlier in the season and is making a lot more mistakes.

Throw in that Tielemans and Soyuncu are still quite young and have completely fallen off a cliff in terms of development. Maddison whilst in good form is inconsistent and arguably no better than when Rodgers joined. 

Fofana is probably the only player that has maintained any level of decent performance.

I’ll also make a mention of Justin who quite frankly defensively has been honking since he came back but he’s had a massive injury and not a consistent position so he does get a bit of slack until next season. 

Stopped reading at the Harvey Barnes nonsense. The lad couldn't score a goal in the PL if his life depended on it. He's having a rough season but still posting nearly 20+ goal contributions across all competitions. Last season he was on the verge of being held in the same regard as the best wide forwards in the league, 13 goals and a load of assists with a 3rd of the season to go before he got injured.

Brendan has plenty of criticism to land 9n his doorstep but this is horse manure son.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dames said:

I won’t argue with that. Rodgers for good chunks of 18 months managed to get a very good level out of these players. The ones he brought into the team, gave them opportunities which boosted their confidence. 

The issue i’m getting at is that over the past 18 months the same players who hit those heights have struggled to get to them again and in most cases regressed. 

A good manager would have built on those first 18 months. An example of a manager improving a player is that Pearson got Kevin Phillips coaching Jamie Vardy and that turned him into a world class striker. 

I refuse to believe these players can’t get better or more consistent, not with the levels of ability they’ve shown in the past. 

Rodgers made Morgan, Fuchs and Albrighton hit levels they'd not hit in a good while when he came in, it was one of the reasons why we did so well even last year with an abundance of injuries. Our fringe players in the 1st half of last season were unreal. Since then it's nose dived from a squad perspective. 

His effectiveness as a coach does seem to have worn off, it happens. Can he get it back? History would suggest it's more unlikely than likely but he's still taken this squad and for a good while got a very high standard from them that was maximum.

On 06/05/2022 at 12:30, volpeazzurro said:

My feelings entirely. I see Rodgers as a malevolent force that is more than likely going to cause our club great harm for years to come. 

On 06/05/2022 at 12:30, volpeazzurro said:

My feelings entirely. I see Rodgers as a malevolent force that is more than likely going to cause our club great harm for years to come. 

Not sure why anyone would laugh at this comment.

We've been good at times with him and also looked awful. I dont think I'd trust him on this rebuild not with my money.

But if he does it I'll be first to hold my hands up.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Not sure why anyone would laugh at this comment.

We've been good at times with him and also looked awful. I dont think I'd trust him on this rebuild not with my money.

But if he does it I'll be first to hold my hands up.

Perhaps the use of the word "malevolent"?   -  wanting to cause harm or evil is maybe a tad over the top... That is unless I've missed Rodgers being replaced by Putin or another one of those mad fellas.

Edited by J. James

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Stopped reading at the Harvey Barnes nonsense. The lad couldn't score a goal in the PL if his life depended on it. He's having a rough season but still posting nearly 20+ goal contributions across all competitions. Last season he was on the verge of being held in the same regard as the best wide forwards in the league, 13 goals and a load of assists with a 3rd of the season to go before he got injured.

Brendan has plenty of criticism to land 9n his doorstep but this is horse manure son.

I’ve probably gone a bit over the top with my comments but Harvey Barnes has the ability to be our match winner and in our biggest game of the season he was hooked at half time as part of a tactical switch so Brendan could make room for another centre back. 

There is a player there that could genuinely be one of the best wide forwards in the league and at this point in his career he should be a lot more composed and have improved his decision making but I don’t think he’ll get any better under Rodgers and if he keeps getting hooked or left out like he has been recently i fear its only going to make him regress. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dames said:

I’ve probably gone a bit over the top with my comments but Harvey Barnes has the ability to be our match winner and in our biggest game of the season he was hooked at half time as part of a tactical switch so Brendan could make room for another centre back. 

There is a player there that could genuinely be one of the best wide forwards in the league and at this point in his career he should be a lot more composed and have improved his decision making but I don’t think he’ll get any better under Rodgers and if he keeps getting hooked or left out like he has been recently i fear its only going to make him regress. 

I do know what you're saying but I don't blame Rodgers for his mediocre season, I am expecting him to work very very closely with him to regain his end product though, like he's done with Maddison when many were questioning what the point was. For all Rodgers faults, he can do this with players.

• Like 1