Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Brendan sometimes gets a little big for his boots and thinks he’s a tactical genius. So aswell as the praise he gets he needs to humble himself a bit because some of his decisions are questionable. The Everton game, the team he picked, the formation, the tactics, the defensive setup, the subs, that’s on him he’s got to come and say he tried to gamble but it didn’t work. We had games in hand which were relatively winnable games and he threw them away and now we sit in 14th with out a win in 7.

He needs to build up momentum and get the players confidence back and use this time to build a winning mentality as the players need to have the belief again. Also creatively we have nothing when Maddison and barnes are not playing we need to address that over summer

Edited by brownfox

14 minutes ago, brownfox said:

Brendan sometimes gets a little big for his boots and thinks he’s a tactical genius. So aswell as the praise he gets he needs to humble himself a bit because some of his decisions are questionable. The Everton game, the team he picked, the formation, the tactics, the defensive setup, the subs, that’s on him he’s got to come and say he tried to gamble but it didn’t work. We had games in hand which were relatively winnable games and he threw them away and now we sit in 14th with out a win in 7.

He needs to build up momentum and get the players confidence back and use this time to build a winning mentality as the players need to have the belief again. Also creatively we have nothing when Maddison and barnes are not playing we need to address that over summer

To some degree,  i think this is part of his gamble and why i am really concerned about him managing a rebuild. Where the players (in his eyes) have been worth saving he has clearly put in the effort (Maddison, Fofana).  Others, it seems like he is taking enjoyment in destroying their confidence to ensure they are seen as dispensable. Take Choudhury for instance. We are not talking a world class player here, but against Watford in the FA cup he did everything that was asked of him, and had a great game. Then he was put on the scrap heap. Really sure Barnes' drop in confidence is something Brendan should have managed much better. By destroying dispensable players confidence he makes his rebuild message much, much stronger.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

To some degree,  i think this is part of his gamble and why i am really concerned about him managing a rebuild. Where the players (in his eyes) have been worth saving he has clearly put in the effort (Maddison, Fofana).  Others, it seems like he is taking enjoyment in destroying their confidence to ensure they are seen as dispensable. Take Choudhury for instance. We are not talking a world class player here, but against Watford in the FA cup he did everything that was asked of him, and had a great game. Then he was put on the scrap heap. Really sure Barnes' drop in confidence is something Brendan should have managed much better. By destroying dispensable players confidence he makes his rebuild message much, much stronger.

Agree...  we have a number of players who can be seriously improved but I am seeing no progression.  Yet improving our own is much les risky and ecoe dive than replacing them 

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Agree...  we have a number of players who can be seriously improved but I am seeing no progression.  Yet improving our own is much les risky and ecoe dive than replacing them 

Even beyond that, take Soumare. In his development year, he has been managed appalling. Brendan has done nothing to show that he has taken any interest in managing him. Had his first start in ages against Spurs and didn't mention his name once in any post match interview. Then disposed of against Everton. 

• Like 3

He may have lost the fans, but it's certainly not at 'Pleat out' levels of toxicity yet (one for the kids there) and we are a fickle lot, a good start to next season and all is forgiven.

It seems as though we are bored of the injury crisis as an excuse, even though it has been hindering us for the best part of two years..  Could it be that Rodgers has gone ultra-cautious in response to our weakened position? I mean this endless side to side possession football is turgid and dull, but we have played good attacking football under his management.

9 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

Even beyond that, take Soumare. In his development year, he has been managed appalling. Brendan has done nothing to show that he has taken any interest in managing him. Had his first start in ages against Spurs and didn't mention his name once in any post match interview. Then disposed of against Everton. 

We have had Spurs/Roma/Everton/Norwich all within the space of ten days.  We have to rotate the team.

There are  plenty of reasons to take issue with Rodgers but leaving Soumare out against Everton isn't one of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Are these points (Except practising set pieces - wtf?) untrue? Or are we lambasting him because we don`t like these truths?

Oh, and this squad is only extremely talented through blue-tinted specs

...are you saying two fith place finishes, an F.A. Cup, a Charity Shield are as a result of an untalented squad!!!

It either is or is not.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

We have had Spurs/Roma/Everton/Norwich all within the space of ten days.  We have to rotate the team.

There are  plenty of reasons to take issue with Rodgers but leaving Soumare out against Everton isn't one of them.

Everton was an example - with Soumare the mismanagement has been happening all year. He was actually decent in spells against Spurs (match rusty to be expected), which was a week ago and Soumare didn't get picked (rightly) for the Roma match. Therefore, thinking about the future and rotation, not featuring for Everton is a confidence killer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Are these points (Except practising set pieces - wtf?) untrue? Or are we lambasting him because we don`t like these truths?

Oh, and this squad is only extremely talented through blue-tinted specs

In terms of Premier league squads, nearly qualifying twice in 2 seasons for the Champions league would suggest it’s extremely talented relative to the other squads going into this season.

it’s questionable now because of player performances, player values have all dropped.

The longer Rodgers is here, we will find out if the anomaly is the good form over 2 good starts or the poor finishes and this season.

• Like 1

He'll get summer and the opportunity to change things up. BUT... the honeymoon period is firmly over and if by Xmas if things look largely the same he'll be gone.

He needs to find more creativity as well as defensive reinforcement. Signings have been dull, soumare, perez, praet etc. We need some creativity in there as well. Just falls on Madders and Ricardo to create alongside Youri when he's in the mood. 

Be nice to be feared again as a side who can really hurt you in the final third and not 1,000 passes before running out of ideas. 

Happy to write this season off and look to create something newer and fresher for next without the demands initially of Europe getting in the way. 

4 hours ago, Hales said:

It feels like he is throwing the players under the bus a bit, yes they need to absolutely take responsibility but so does he. All we hear from him is he will rebuild the squad, players will be out and now he basically called them all out after the game in the dressing room. He is saying all of this to the media. What about his responsibility or him admitting his mistakes too.  He isn't building the team up but constantly knocking them. Another example being his comments about them over achieving.  He has knocked the spark, confidence and fight out of them.

Honestly I don’t even feel like he does that enough - let alone take accountability himself. 

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...are you saying two fith place finishes, an F.A. Cup, a Charity Shield are as a result of an untalented squad!!!

It either is or is not.

Not sure what you are saying as none of those achievements were this season? (Was the Community Shield this season?)

Form and ability change over time

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

In terms of Premier league squads, nearly qualifying twice in 2 seasons for the Champions league would suggest it’s extremely talented relative to the other squads going into this season.

it’s questionable now because of player performances, player values have all dropped.

The longer Rodgers is here, we will find out if the anomaly is the good form over 2 good starts or the poor finishes and this season.

This was my point, it was a talented squd, clearly, as evidenced by achievements and league position, but now? Not so much for whatever reason.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

This was my point, it was a talented squd, clearly, as evidenced by achievements and league position, but now? Not so much for whatever reason.

Because of the formation and tactics?

6 hours ago, teblin said:

He needs 3 or 4 results else he may well be in big trouble coke the end of the season.

If he's on coke by the end of the season, he'll definitely be in big trouble......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

The people who back Rodgers will have you believe that the squad is rubbish and he's performed some kind of alchemy in getting us into European contention two seasons in a row. Even if the squad is poor and performance for the past two seasons is entirely down to Rodgers' coaching - not IMO - then it's obviously not working any longer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jamesp26 said:

Because of the formation and tactics?

Many things I would guess. I know some are keen to lay the whole blame at the managers door, but many things are likely to be involved, such as degredation of squad age and/or quality, form, poor tactical choices, poor coaching, pyschological decline/drive.

I fear we have reached a tipping point of desire within the team

36 minutes ago, murphy said:

He may have lost the fans, but it's certainly not at 'Pleat out' levels of toxicity yet (one for the kids there) and we are a fickle lot, a good start to next season and all is forgiven.

It seems as though we are bored of the injury crisis as an excuse, even though it has been hindering us for the best part of two years..  Could it be that Rodgers has gone ultra-cautious in response to our weakened position? I mean this endless side to side possession football is turgid and dull, but we have played good attacking football under his management.

The warning signs were there against West Ham, second game of the season - we got absolutely taken apart.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Likewise, people will have you believe that a manager that took us 5th twice, won an FA Cup etc is somehow a 'fraud' or a 'clown'. 

Correct. It is symptomatic of online debates that the views are so extreme it makes the other side retreat further into their corner. I'm pretty much done with Rodgers but some of the abuse he gets and the fact that he was getting it from some quarters mere days after winning the FA Cup just makes me instinctively defend him. Part (I stress part) of the dislike has always been for non-football reasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

The warning signs were there against West Ham, second game of the season - we got absolutely taken apart.

Was there any reasons behind our loss or bad form at the start of the season,  or was it just poor manager?

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Likewise, people will have you believe that a manager that took us 5th twice, won an FA Cup etc is somehow a 'fraud' or a 'clown'. 

I'm seeing the 'took us to 5th twice' thing banded about a lot today - I think if we're all being honest, both of those seasons we should have finished higher, but our mentality meant we bottled it at the end of both seasons.

I'm a supporter of BR but I think we have to be honest and say, yes, it was a good achievement on paper, but in reality, with the players we had both of those seasons, in form, prior to injuries etc. we should have got CL football at least once.

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Many things I would guess. I know some are keen to lay the whole blame at the managers door, but many things are likely to be involved, such as degredation of squad age and/or quality, form, poor tactical choices, poor coaching, pyschological decline/drive.

I fear we have reached a tipping point of desire within the team

...all those elements you have mentioned, are all influenced by the manager!!!

• Like 1