Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

8 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

The likes of Vardy, Schmeichel, Albrighton and Evans are all past their prime and inevitably their performance levels will begin to decline, but there are many core members of our squad who are young enough to have not yet reached their peak in terms of performance, the likes of Maddison, KDH, Barnes, Ndidi, Justin, Fofana, Thomas, Barnes, Daka, Soumare, Iheanacho. Most of these players, with a couple of notable exceptions, have clearly regressed and or failed to realize their potential this season, and this is reflected in our results. While the coach cannot reverse the realities of the aging process, he must be held accountable for the development of those players with room to grow. In fact, I thought that was Rodgers' M.O. He clearly has some serious questions to answer in this regard. 

6 of those 11 have had serious injuries (or coming back from) during this season
2 of the remaining 5 are brand new to the team this season & finding their feet
1 of the remaining 3 has been the standout performer of the season
1 of the remaining 2 is only 20yrs old only broke into the team last season due to injuries & has played 32 games in all comps already
Leaving Nacho

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The amount of empty seats at full time was very telling. We were 2-1 down to Everton not 6-1 down to Real Madrid. Arguably it was all still to play for right up until the final whistle. However, a lot of fans are tired, fed up and lost hope in this regime. We had three strikers on and people still walked out. 

That’s because 

1 we are more likely to concede late on than score ( based on recent form)

2. Even a draw wouldn’t have felt much different to defeat, against a team struggling at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Stinky said:

We should have been looking to win yes but it also includes us having the luck of the draw, which quite literally we have not. Our EL group was about as difficult as we could have got. On paper we should have qualified but we've been average most of the season, and we also weren't helped that Napoli weren't exactly dominant in that group either which left SM/LW with more points that you'd have predicted. Then we get Roma in the semis in the ECL - at that point it stops being a tournament that we *should* win, we have no right to breeze past a team that are probably better than us. 

Really?!

Legia Warsaw were about 16th (out of 18) in their league until a recent run of good form in their past 5 games. Moscow are an average team, although our win over there was a good one. Napoli I'll give you, but we should have beat them at home, again we threw points away.

Roma are a decent team and we have no right to beat them, but we didn't even lay a glove on them, wasn't it 78 minutes until our first shot on target?

We're so bad man, I can't believe people can defend the manager at this point, just how bad will it get until people realise? We're one bad transfer window away from flirting with relegation as it stands.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Really?!

Legia Warsaw were about 16th (out of 18) in their league until a recent run of good form in their past 5 games. Moscow are an average team, although our win over there was a good one. Napoli I'll give you, but we should have beat them at home, again we threw points away.

Roma are a decent team and we have no right to beat them, but we didn't even lay a glove on them, wasn't it 78 minutes until our first shot on target?

We're so bad man, I can't believe people can defend the manager at this point, just how bad will it get until people realise? We're one bad transfer window away from flirting with relegation as it stands.

why is this? they aren't that good. 

18 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

6 of those 11 have had serious injuries (or coming back from) during this season
2 of the remaining 5 are brand new to the team this season & finding their feet
1 of the remaining 3 has been the standout performer of the season
1 of the remaining 2 is only 20yrs old only broke into the team last season due to injuries & has played 32 games in all comps already
Leaving Nacho

Fair play. Hopefully your well-argued defence of Brendan in this regard explains our down turn in performance this year and not his tactics, team selections, formations or squad rotations, otherwise we could be in serious trouble if this trend continues into next season.

I think I’ve just seen the future

Rodgers knows he’s ****ed it here. He’s  going to walk out on us in the summer after implying the board won’t give him the funds he deems necessary to overhaul all the players who’ve let him down the last year. 

He leaves looking squeaky clean, before any of his ‘overhaul’ signings have chance to be tested, whilst tainting our owners image to the maximum 

Star this message

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Really?!

I'm not particularly defending him in a "being eliminated from that Group is acceptable" sort of way - but people here genuinely seem to think we could have turned up with our reserves against Spartak Moscow/Legia Warsaw and put four past them.

FTR Legia Warsaw won their league last season (i'm guessing at that tbh, but will say 2nd minimum) and Spartak Moscow came 2nd too. Absolutely godknows what has happened to them this season but don't make out we played Poland's perennial relegation battlers.

I wonder if Rennes/PSV are cursing their luck at being knocked out by a team 14th in the EPL (if thats how you're gonna look at it)

Edited by Stinky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And a good one away from having a go at qualifying for Europe again? 

Correct, but nothing from Rodgers previous record suggests that's going to happen. Whether or not that's entirely down to him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I'm not particularly defending him in a "being eliminated from that Group is acceptable" sort of way - but people here genuinely seem to think we could have turned up with our reserves against Spartak Moscow/Legia Warsaw and put four past them.

FTR Legia Warsaw won their league last season (i'm guessing at that tbh, but will say 2nd minimum) and Spartak Moscow came 2nd too. Absolutely godknows what has happened to them this season but don't make out we played Poland's perennial relegation battlers.

I wonder if Rennes/PSV are cursing their luck at being knocked out by a team 14th in the EPL (if thats how you're gonna look at it)

We have no God given right to waltz past teams, but we were poor in our group games, even when we won we conceded 3 goals. Warsaw have been on the worst run of their history and still managed to turn us over, the same problems that evening are the same problems every game now, we creately barely anything, when we do the keeper saves it, we retain possession and do absolutely nothing with it.

We only beat Rennes through the skin of our teeth, they should have had 2 penalties that evening if I remember correctly. Although they were the best team we've played in the conference this season. Our budgets, wages etc. dwarf that of PSV and Rennes, regardless of where they are in the league. The only teams that were near to us in terms of revenue etc. was Napoli and Roma, everyone else was miles behind us.

Our standards seem to have sunk so low, if he stays and we get off to a bad start next season (which I'm certainly expecting) then we're going to be stuck with another load of his signings and the new manager will need 18 months to sort the squad out before making it his own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

Thing is, would you trust him with this "rebuild"?

We could be £60m down, missing Tielemans & Caglar yet in a worse position with Rodgers if last summer was anything to go by. Internally we'll have a better grasp of what's going on contractually, who is likely coming and going this summer. Susan Whelan, Rudkin & Top have a high hit rate for making the right decision at the right time, so whatever happens as fans we should be confident in the Club.

This is the only thing giving me confidence, they rarely make the wrong decision when it comes to this football club.

And no, I definitely wouldn't trust him with this 'rebuild'

• Like 3

Does everyone think we've conceded far too many goals in the final minutes of normal time or in injury time (or in the first few minutes of a match, but that's a different matter)? Yes, we have haven't we. Isn't that part of game management and Rogers responsibility - ie don't concede towards the end when you have little time to respond?  Ruin and spoil  the game as a spectacle if necessary, fans won't care, just don't concede. When is he going to sort this out!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The amount of empty seats at full time was very telling. We were 2-1 down to Everton not 6-1 down to Real Madrid. Arguably it was all still to play for right up until the final whistle. However, a lot of fans are tired, fed up and lost hope in this regime. We had three strikers on and people still walked out. 

Fans were leaving early during the title season so I don't think this is any different to any other game or any other season. 

Just now, StanSP said:

Fans were leaving early during the title season so I don't think this is any different to any other game or any other season. 

There were loads more people leaving early yesterday compared to other games this season 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Correct, but nothing from Rodgers previous record suggests that's going to happen. Whether or not that's entirely down to him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

We have no God given right to waltz past teams, but we were poor in our group games, even when we won we conceded 3 goals. Warsaw have been on the worst run of their history and still managed to turn us over, the same problems that evening are the same problems every game now, we creately barely anything, when we do the keeper saves it, we retain possession and do absolutely nothing with it.

We only beat Rennes through the skin of our teeth, they should have had 2 penalties that evening if I remember correctly. Although they were the best team we've played in the conference this season. Our budgets, wages etc. dwarf that of PSV and Rennes, regardless of where they are in the league. The only teams that were near to us in terms of revenue etc. was Napoli and Roma, everyone else was miles behind us.

Our standards seem to have sunk so low, if he stays and we get off to a bad start next season (which I'm certainly expecting) then we're going to be stuck with another load of his signings and the new manager will need 18 months to sort the squad out before making it his own.

Why do people keep bringing budgets into this as though biggest budget means best team? Lol I'd assume teams like Ajax/Porto/Benfica and teams at that level would have smaller budgets but I wouldn't expect us to get past them over two legs. 

The fact that you've turned our win against Rennes into a negative shows you're willing to clutch at anything to prove a point

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Stan, it was very different yesterday. That many fans leaving from the 10th minute onwards. 

• Like 1

Despite the collective frothing at the mouth present in this thread, I just can't see Rodgers getting the boot. He seems to have wormed his way in with Top and the hierarchy, and I assume is adept at talking the talking when it comes to matching their ambitions. 

I bet he has a set of Powerpoint slides ready to go that demonstrate why it isn't his fault. There's animations and everything.

If he stays, such a finely balanced summer. With a real risk of a Peter Taylor type window that sets fire to everything.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Stan, it was very different yesterday. That many fans leaving from the 10th minute onwards. 

10th?

I get what you're saying to be honest. It just reflects the general malaise at the club. A sad situation.

40 minutes ago, charly said:

Does everyone think we've conceded far too many goals in the final minutes of normal time or in injury time (or in the first few minutes of a match, but that's a different matter)? Yes, we have haven't we. Isn't that part of game management and Rogers responsibility - ie don't concede towards the end when you have little time to respond?  Ruin and spoil  the game as a spectacle if necessary, fans won't care, just don't concede. When is he going to sort this out!!!

Saw a stat last week that if we wouldnt have conceeded any goals in the last ten minutes in any game this season, we'd be in the top 4

The issue we have is down to game management this season, nothing else

Edited by MrSpaM

There are reasons (injuries) for our lower league position and to some extent poorer performances but the levels have dipped so much in terms of style of play, intent, and performing the basics that it’s hard to understand. The players that now can’t defend corners are to a large degree the ones that could before, the players that now ponderously pass side to side are the same ones to a large degree that used to get us excited about their ability to attack and create chances, the players that really seemed to have a hunger to do well and win things are to a large extent the same ones that seem clueless at the moment. And this all one to two years ago when the team was younger and less experienced than now. There is a problem with personnel that needs fixing but that certainly can be applied to the coaching staff. What on earth have the goalkeeping, defence and attacking staff being doing to fix these season long problems and if the coaching staff are being ineffective (even excluding the manager) why haven’t we had a coaching overhaul already ? 

2 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Saw a stat last week that if we wouldnt have conceeded any goals in the last ten minutes in any game this season, we'd be in the top 4

Yeah something like 27 points given up in the final few minutes.

It's pathetic.

Again, something to tolerate if it happens on 1 or 2 occasions throughout the season, but when it becomes endemic questions must be asked. 

We should have learnt from the Spurs monstrosity. That should have been the final time that happened this season.