Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Whenever I see any kind of footage on social media of the team training, it's either one of two things. 

Close piggy in the middle style quick passing, or intense short burst running/give and go. 

It's never anything else. I'd love to see some shooting, crossing, long ball training, or heaven forbid - defensive corner training. Just once.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I understand but it is still the anti-thesis of support

It’s long term support.

I’ll take on your mantle for being devil’s advocate …. Anyone wanting us to win, that doesn’t  believe that BR will bring long term future success to LCFC is the antithesis to a supporter … they’re a transient short term fan

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It’s long term support.

I’ll take on your mantle for being devil’s advocate …. Anyone wanting us to win, that doesn’t  believe that BR will bring long term future success to LCFC is the antithesis to a supporter … they’re a transient short term fan

Fair point and I did consider this. However, it depends who you feel has the most valid opinion I guess, Top et al, or a bunch of fans on keyboards (Like me, by the way)

Perhaps I am just a big chicken and would rather delegate the decision to Top et al?  :dunno:
(Of course no decision reached here is binding, but it is still a valid point of discussio)

What we have done in three years is gone from a team that is maybe happy to stay in the Premier League to one that is disappointed that we don’t win a trophy,” Rodgers said. “That shows you the mindset change and the shift in mentality. We need to address that in the summer and reintroduce that hunger back into the team.” 

Alternatively....

What we have done in three years is gone from a Club that was the envy of the vast majority of Europe, in terms of our Recruitment, Sports Science and our ability to grow as a Club organically, to one that begins handing out big contracts to over the hill players (Bertrand), inadequate players (Choudhury/Mendy/Vestergaard) or for sentimentality (Albrighton).

The mindset change has shifted, from a Club that focused on results and progression (Which can actually increase despite a poorer league finish), to a Club that now prefers metrics such as 'Pointless Possession' or 'Most passes between Centre Halves' or even better 'Most touches by Centre Halves'.

Rodgers reminds me a bit of Sven. He's managed to pull the wool over they eyes of our owners, and even fans, with a CV which is actually complete with nothingness. 

Pearson/Walsh/Shakespeare, they set some terrific foundations at the Club in terms of Recruitment and Sports Science, which have pretty much diminished now.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

What we have done in three years is gone from a team that is maybe happy to stay in the Premier League to one that is disappointed that we don’t win a trophy,” Rodgers said. “That shows you the mindset change and the shift in mentality. We need to address that in the summer and reintroduce that hunger back into the team.” 

Alternatively....

What we have done in three years is gone from a Club that was the envy of the vast majority of Europe, in terms of our Recruitment, Sports Science and our ability to grow as a Club organically, to one that begins handing out big contracts to over the hill players (Bertrand), inadequate players (Choudhury/Mendy/Vestergaard) or for sentimentality (Albrighton).

The mindset change has shifted, from a Club that focused on results and progression (Which can actually increase despite a poorer league finish), to a Club that now prefers metrics such as 'Pointless Possession' or 'Most passes between Centre Halves' or even better 'Most touches by Centre Halves'.

Rodgers reminds me a bit of Sven. He's managed to pull the wool over they eyes of our owners, and even fans, with a CV which is actually complete with nothingness. 

Pearson/Walsh/Shakespeare, they set some terrific foundations at the Club in terms of Recruitment and Sports Science, which have pretty much diminished now.

To be fair the club has always been amateurish or sentimental with handing out big contracts. Thats not a Rodgers thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Get relegated and get Nige, Shakey and Co back together. Let Vardy tear it up for one more season in the Championship and then win the prem again in a few years time

I loved Quantum Leap too…

13 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Alternatively....

We’ve also gone from being the best in not conceding from set pieces, to being 19th and 20th 🤣

Edited by TMELcfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

Maybe some out there are of this view but I feel that most acknowledge his achievements regarding the two decent runs he has had in both seasons. The problem is that he doesn’t seem at all capable of recreating that form and developing the team further. Perhaps that is also down to him - who knows? Given that the best runs he’s had are two isolated starts at the beginning of both of those seasons, people begin to (righty imo) question his credibility as one of the highest paid and therefore supposedly best managers in the world.

Before he arrived, the fifth place finish would’ve been fairly impressive but many of the criticisms acknowledge that really we should’ve at least finished fourth in both of those seasons. That’s not entitlement, that’s just seeing it through and over the line. Losing out on the CL two years in a row from a fantastic position was deflating and we probably lost out on many transfer opportunities as a result. There were poor performances from players in both seasons but I also remember some horrendous tactical tinkering, substitutions and selections. The mentality was generally pants and he has to take some of the blame for this but he is rarely ever accountable. 

With regards to the FA cup, yes he did well to win it but when I look back at the games, I don’t see what he alone has done as being some kind of master class. He did well, we had a fairly easy route to the final and then we’ve managed to hang on for our lives in the final and score a screamer. Yes, he did well to help guide us to win it but was it a managerial master class of epic proportions that will buy you years of time? No, not in my opinion and league performances have already been awful for one and a half seasons continually (plus the other half from 2019/20). 

As for Europe, good wins? We were easily outclassed by a very average Prague side in the first knockout round. Yeah, we played well against Braga and Athens well in the group stages but to me, the campaign overall was a failure. This season, we went one worse and got knocked out at the group stage. We lost to teams far below us in terms of quality and we threw points away against Napoli. Given a run in the Europa was the aim for this season, he again failed miserably. The conference was a golden chance for him to reclaim some credibility but even the run to the semi was fraught with issues. But for a brief period against Rennes/Eindhoven, we generally played quite badly and we were lucky to not go out against Rennes after the referee missed the penalty. That’s exactly why people see the run as nothing to shout about, dumped out of the Europa by third rate sides, luckily into the Europa conference to salvage something, play awfully for the entire run and scrape through with narrow wins and bad refereeing. Perhaps I could be accused of having a pessimistic view but we never looked like winning the conference league despite how much we all would’ve enjoyed it. 

For me, the sign of a great manager is one that is able to be flexible and turn things around when things aren’t going their way. Whether that’s finding a new system for the players at your disposal or getting players back into form and confident again. Rodgers has struggled to maintain high standards even when players are on top for prolonged periods as evidenced by both collapses. But, for me, the biggest worry is his inability to continue to develop the side, instil a fighting mentality and work with what he’s got to get the best out of them.

The idea that an entire rebuild is needed is just to save face. New players are needed but he’s just signed five last summer alone and apart from Lookman and occasionally Daka, the rest have never had a look in at all. He’s had the opportunity to add to the squad in my view but he deems the players he has brought in to be even worse than what was already here as back up. That’s also forgetting Perez and Praet, the former was once a favourite of his but now can’t seem to buy a game. If it is to do with the players and not him as he keeps saying, then why are so many of his new signings so far behind in the pecking order? Why have so many players also regressed under his tenure? This does point in the direction that maybe he just took over at the right time and his ideas have a certain expiry date.

Yes, a fantastic post, that explains why complainers are not "entitled" but see the underlying regression of the squad from one that had a fantastic potential. I saw these signs in the summer, wasn't deceived by our cup final win, and wanted Rodgers to be replaced then. With the benefit of hindsight, because who could have foreseen how Tielemans would have played in such a disinterested way from the start of this season, had we sold Youri in the summer he would have commanded a large enough fee to have more than covered the cost of firing Rodgers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

After so long, I do feel obliged to offer a counter point to the continued negative posts, so...

I think in the two seasons where we missed out on fourth, we ran out of steam, just that simple

We were and lacked the quaity squad depth to limp over the line

I think this is true as we don`t have the quality in the squad to ensure we can rest first XI players without seriously impacting our quality, an issue those other top 4 chasers did not have

Also, you cannot discount half a season (Well 2 of them) purely because it meant we failed to reach the target (A target we actually made based on pre-season hopes) and note that this clearly done with a agenda behind it.

What about that disastrous match at Bournemouth which alone made the difference between finishing 4th and 5th?  Do you really put that defeat down to "running out of steam" as opposed to total mismanagement?

• Like 2

Just now, deep blue said:

What about that disastrous match at Bournemouth which alone made the difference between finishing 4th and 5th?  Do you really put that defeat down to "running out of steam" as opposed to total mismanagement?

It was of that period, so yes. I am not sure picking individual matches can tell us much if we are looking for patterns of decline.

Just now, Flappit said:

Translation: "this inconvenient fact does not fit my narrative of defending Brendan at all costs. I shall therefore invent a spurious reason to attempt to dismiss it". 

Ok. lol

Translation “I hate Brendan like every other sheep in this field, and because we all bleat the loudest, we must be right. Oh and I will not entertain the idea of mitigating factors that sound different from our bleating”

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It was of that period, so yes. I am not sure picking individual matches can tell us much if we are looking for patterns of decline.

Whilst you did make a fair point, it doesn't excuse the way we threw away top four in the first season. We must've been 14 points clear going into February, that's not running out of steam, that's a complete collapse. I theorise that Rodgers has perhaps realised the point you made and altered the tactics to cope, and to detrimental effect. I think it's pretty obvious that Rodgers has changed the tactics this season, it's clear for everyone to see. He's lost the plot like Claudio did in 16/17.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Depends if your short term aim was to get to 100m first, the fact you later run out of gas at the line does not nullify the fact you met your original goals.

Disappointing? Sure, damn right, but objectivity and context is required. 

Again, you do not address the quality of the squad, when we run out of gas, we must be able to rely on the squad to reinvigorate our XI, yet we could not, as they were to much of a drop is quality.

So you think it's OK to have an objective to play well for half a season and not bother about the second, or to play well for half a game and it doesn't matter about the 2nd half?

People knock Brendan’s European credentials but he gave us a semi-final in a competition that he publicly denied knowledge of. We waltzed into Uefa’s loser’s club and lost a semi final. People may poo-poo this overachievement but dropping out of two European competitions in one season is nothing to be sniffed at.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

So you think it's OK to have an objective to play well for half a season and not bother about the second, or to play well for half a game and it doesn't matter about the 2nd half?

The objective was to get into Europe, which we achieved, but we found ourselves in with a chance of CL, but ran out of steam due to low squad depth/quality.

It was not acceptable from where we were, but I can see how it happened (In my mind at least!)

Edited by Dahnsouff

5 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

Don't you have a new sporting director or something coming in to oversee transfers? Some lad from Southampton?

It's been said on here that his current contract dictates that he won't be allowed to come here for a few months, probably too late to have input to our summer transfer window. 

17 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

Just seen the latest press conference. 40 seconds in he says ‘we really enjoy playing at home, it allows us to play football’.

How inspiring. 

Is that what he calls it?

• Like 1