Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

He still manages to get in that it's because the expectations have increased because the performance levels have increased "over the last couple of years" (since he's been here, in other words). They haven't increased this year. We won the league in 2016. We had a couple of bad years after that (despite getting into a CL quarter final). Our expectations since then, and still are, higher than a top ten. Two managers lost their jobs for failing to deliver - one of them despite having won the league.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

This is my problem with Brendan...  no insight.... I think he is delusional.

The very nature of being 'the leader', be it in sport, business, education or politics, brings with it the ever-present danger of a tilt into a fantasy of ones own creation.

The idea of failure is so damaging to the individual's ego that any other explanation is sought other than the reality. Saying "sorry, I've made mistakes" is difficult for most of us, even though it's the truth - because it invites opprobrium from those around us.

Being a football manager at this level invites the scrutiny of millions, a goodly proportion of whom are waiting to criticise your every mistake in print or by broadcast.

He's no longer objective about what's happening around him. He needs to go in order to recover a reasoned view of his time at Leicester. At the moment he's lost in self-deception.

21 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

Maybe some out there are of this view but I feel that most acknowledge his achievements regarding the two decent runs he has had in both seasons. The problem is that he doesn’t seem at all capable of recreating that form and developing the team further. Perhaps that is also down to him - who knows? Given that the best runs he’s had are two isolated starts at the beginning of both of those seasons, people begin to (righty imo) question his credibility as one of the highest paid and therefore supposedly best managers in the world.

Before he arrived, the fifth place finish would’ve been fairly impressive but many of the criticisms acknowledge that really we should’ve at least finished fourth in both of those seasons. That’s not entitlement, that’s just seeing it through and over the line. Losing out on the CL two years in a row from a fantastic position was deflating and we probably lost out on many transfer opportunities as a result. There were poor performances from players in both seasons but I also remember some horrendous tactical tinkering, substitutions and selections. The mentality was generally pants and he has to take some of the blame for this but he is rarely ever accountable. 

With regards to the FA cup, yes he did well to win it but when I look back at the games, I don’t see what he alone has done as being some kind of master class. He did well, we had a fairly easy route to the final and then we’ve managed to hang on for our lives in the final and score a screamer. Yes, he did well to help guide us to win it but was it a managerial master class of epic proportions that will buy you years of time? No, not in my opinion and league performances have already been awful for one and a half seasons continually (plus the other half from 2019/20). 

As for Europe, good wins? We were easily outclassed by a very average Prague side in the first knockout round. Yeah, we played well against Braga and Athens well in the group stages but to me, the campaign overall was a failure. This season, we went one worse and got knocked out at the group stage. We lost to teams far below us in terms of quality and we threw points away against Napoli. Given a run in the Europa was the aim for this season, he again failed miserably. The conference was a golden chance for him to reclaim some credibility but even the run to the semi was fraught with issues. But for a brief period against Rennes/Eindhoven, we generally played quite badly and we were lucky to not go out against Rennes after the referee missed the penalty. That’s exactly why people see the run as nothing to shout about, dumped out of the Europa by third rate sides, luckily into the Europa conference to salvage something, play awfully for the entire run and scrape through with narrow wins and bad refereeing. Perhaps I could be accused of having a pessimistic view but we never looked like winning the conference league despite how much we all would’ve enjoyed it. 

For me, the sign of a great manager is one that is able to be flexible and turn things around when things aren’t going their way. Whether that’s finding a new system for the players at your disposal or getting players back into form and confident again. Rodgers has struggled to maintain high standards even when players are on top for prolonged periods as evidenced by both collapses. But, for me, the biggest worry is his inability to continue to develop the side, instil a fighting mentality and work with what he’s got to get the best out of them.

The idea that an entire rebuild is needed is just to save face. New players are needed but he’s just signed five last summer alone and apart from Lookman and occasionally Daka, the rest have never had a look in at all. He’s had the opportunity to add to the squad in my view but he deems the players he has brought in to be even worse than what was already here as back up. That’s also forgetting Perez and Praet, the former was once a favourite of his but now can’t seem to buy a game. If it is to do with the players and not him as he keeps saying, then why are so many of his new signings so far behind in the pecking order? Why have so many players also regressed under his tenure? This does point in the direction that maybe he just took over at the right time and his ideas have a certain expiry date.

Sums up my thoughts exactly! Great post 

21 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

Maybe some out there are of this view but I feel that most acknowledge his achievements regarding the two decent runs he has had in both seasons. The problem is that he doesn’t seem at all capable of recreating that form and developing the team further. Perhaps that is also down to him - who knows? Given that the best runs he’s had are two isolated starts at the beginning of both of those seasons, people begin to (righty imo) question his credibility as one of the highest paid and therefore supposedly best managers in the world.

Before he arrived, the fifth place finish would’ve been fairly impressive but many of the criticisms acknowledge that really we should’ve at least finished fourth in both of those seasons. That’s not entitlement, that’s just seeing it through and over the line. Losing out on the CL two years in a row from a fantastic position was deflating and we probably lost out on many transfer opportunities as a result. There were poor performances from players in both seasons but I also remember some horrendous tactical tinkering, substitutions and selections. The mentality was generally pants and he has to take some of the blame for this but he is rarely ever accountable. 

With regards to the FA cup, yes he did well to win it but when I look back at the games, I don’t see what he alone has done as being some kind of master class. He did well, we had a fairly easy route to the final and then we’ve managed to hang on for our lives in the final and score a screamer. Yes, he did well to help guide us to win it but was it a managerial master class of epic proportions that will buy you years of time? No, not in my opinion and league performances have already been awful for one and a half seasons continually (plus the other half from 2019/20). 

As for Europe, good wins? We were easily outclassed by a very average Prague side in the first knockout round. Yeah, we played well against Braga and Athens well in the group stages but to me, the campaign overall was a failure. This season, we went one worse and got knocked out at the group stage. We lost to teams far below us in terms of quality and we threw points away against Napoli. Given a run in the Europa was the aim for this season, he again failed miserably. The conference was a golden chance for him to reclaim some credibility but even the run to the semi was fraught with issues. But for a brief period against Rennes/Eindhoven, we generally played quite badly and we were lucky to not go out against Rennes after the referee missed the penalty. That’s exactly why people see the run as nothing to shout about, dumped out of the Europa by third rate sides, luckily into the Europa conference to salvage something, play awfully for the entire run and scrape through with narrow wins and bad refereeing. Perhaps I could be accused of having a pessimistic view but we never looked like winning the conference league despite how much we all would’ve enjoyed it. 

For me, the sign of a great manager is one that is able to be flexible and turn things around when things aren’t going their way. Whether that’s finding a new system for the players at your disposal or getting players back into form and confident again. Rodgers has struggled to maintain high standards even when players are on top for prolonged periods as evidenced by both collapses. But, for me, the biggest worry is his inability to continue to develop the side, instil a fighting mentality and work with what he’s got to get the best out of them.

The idea that an entire rebuild is needed is just to save face. New players are needed but he’s just signed five last summer alone and apart from Lookman and occasionally Daka, the rest have never had a look in at all. He’s had the opportunity to add to the squad in my view but he deems the players he has brought in to be even worse than what was already here as back up. That’s also forgetting Perez and Praet, the former was once a favourite of his but now can’t seem to buy a game. If it is to do with the players and not him as he keeps saying, then why are so many of his new signings so far behind in the pecking order? Why have so many players also regressed under his tenure? This does point in the direction that maybe he just took over at the right time and his ideas have a certain expiry date.

One of the best posts that I’ve seen on here.

Throw in Rodgers PR match conference spiel into how quickly he can alienate ths fan base and we have a divisive situation brewing.

Only a couple of weeks ago I said we all need to take what he says at any press conference with a pinch of salt but when he tries to re-write our narrative he can do one…don’t like getting personal but charlatan springs to mind.

Sometimes you see the true personality and strength of character of a top level manager when things are going against you. All I ever here from Rodgers following a poor performance / poor result is we are young team or we need a refresh, no hunger, the profile of player, expectations of the club etc etc. 

He is way too quick to throw our players under the bus, call out the fans for having too high expectations or understate the ambition of the club prior to his arrival. 

At no stage has he come out and taken any level of responsibility or accountability, I would have far more respect and faith he could turn it around if he admitted that this year the whole club has fallen way short of its targets including himself and his backroom staff. And as part of the refresh they will be looking at the mistakes they have made this season and how they rectify that. 

The club needs to act fast, because if they don’t we face the real prospect of losing some of the best talent we have ever seen at this club, this is so reminiscent of the last few months under Puel when we looked so poor and disjointed, players out of form, our best players being left out, abject performances and results with a Manager too stubborn to change the direction of travel. Get rid ASAP to ensure all the good work and foundations of the  last 6/7 years isn’t undone in a summer. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

All I ever here from Rodgers following a poor performance / poor result is we are young team or we need a refresh, no hunger, the profile of player, expectations of the club etc etc.

Rodgers is an NPC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Sometimes you see the true personality and strength of character of a top level manager when things are going against you. All I ever here from Rodgers following a poor performance / poor result is we are young team or we need a refresh, no hunger, the profile of player, expectations of the club etc etc. 

He is way too quick to throw our players under the bus, call out the fans for having too high expectations or understate the ambition of the club prior to his arrival. 

At no stage has he come out and taken any level of responsibility or accountability, I would have far more respect and faith he could turn it around if he admitted that this year the whole club has fallen way short of its targets including himself and his backroom staff. And as part of the refresh they will be looking at the mistakes they have made this season and how they rectify that. 

The club needs to act fast, because if they don’t we face the real prospect of losing some of the best talent we have ever seen at this club, this is so reminiscent of the last few months under Puel when we looked so poor and disjointed, players out of form, our best players being left out, abject performances and results with a Manager too stubborn to change the direction of travel. Get rid ASAP to ensure all the good work and foundations of the  last 6/7 years isn’t undone in a summer. 

Like anyone in management of any kind- you find out how good they are when things turn shite 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

It was of that period, so yes. I am not sure picking individual matches can tell us much if we are looking for patterns of decline.

Someone on here compiled a list of capitulations covering Brendan’s time here…

heavy defeats - Newcastle, Forest, Bournemouth, Spurs

last minute defeats and draws - Almost too many to mention - Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton

dropping points to relegation teams - Norwich, Watford 

when you looked at it - one after the other - you realise what a crime it was not to secure a CL spot in the past two seasons. That would have transformed the finances and the standing of our club. And since the squad was evolving in that period it’s hard to blame the lack of hunger of the players. Lack of hunger in the manager seems a better fit. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Fair point and I did consider this. However, it depends who you feel has the most valid opinion I guess, Top et al, or a bunch of fans on keyboards (Like me, by the way)

Perhaps I am just a big chicken and would rather delegate the decision to Top et al?  :dunno:
(Of course no decision reached here is binding, but it is still a valid point of discussio)

It’s totally legitimate to have opinions and discuss them on a forum. It doesn’t matter that we aren’t the people making the decision, we’re simply discussing what we’d do if we were.

I have opinions on the economy, but am not the Chancellor, on food but am not a chef etc etc

One of us may be right, there may be a middle ground that makes us both partially right. As long as the discussion is respectful (and I think it is) then our different opinions hurt no one and I enjoy them!

(Rodgers out) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It’s totally legitimate to have opinions and discuss them on a forum. It doesn’t matter that we aren’t the people making the decision, we’re simply discussing what we’d do if we were.

I have opinions on the economy, but am not the Chancellor, on food but am not a chef etc etc

One of us may be right, there may be a middle ground that makes us both partially right. As long as the discussion is respectful (and I think it is) then our different opinions hurt no one and I enjoy them!

(Rodgers out) 

Nicely put, couldn't agree more. I am also concious that people express things in different ways, not always the same seeming opinion, even if the same underlying point is being conveyed, or at least attempted to be.

(Rodgers in-a-holding-pattern)

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’ve always worked along the statistic that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79 per cent chance of winning a game of football.

So says our glorious leader. By my reckoning that means we should currently be on about 80 odd points and comfortably third in the league. 

Where are our missing 40 points?! 

...being nicked, by the counter attacking bounders!!!

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’ve always worked along the statistic that if you can dominate the game with the ball you have a 79 per cent chance of winning a game of football.

So says our glorious leader. By my reckoning that means we should currently be on about 80 odd points and comfortably third in the league. 

The top three teams in the league all average more then 60% possession per game. So he's not wrong

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Milo said:

He must realise that the team that wins is generally the better team and will thus generally have more possession of the ball? lol

It's very rare to have a team consistently have lower possession than their opposition and consistently pick up results. Our 15/16 team being the biggest freak of them all.

His initial philosophy of "trying to score more goals will more likely yield a positive result" was much more preferable.

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Someone on here compiled a list of capitulations covering Brendan’s time here…

heavy defeats - Newcastle, Forest, Bournemouth, Spurs

last minute defeats and draws - Almost too many to mention - Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton

dropping points to relegation teams - Norwich, Watford 

when you looked at it - one after the other - you realise what a crime it was not to secure a CL spot in the past two seasons. That would have transformed the finances and the standing of our club. And since the squad was evolving in that period it’s hard to blame the lack of hunger of the players. Lack of hunger in the manager seems a better fit. 

It would appear that the underlying thoughts of the manager are similar to that of his worshipping media, that being we are only little Leicester City and what should we expect. He's hardly got an 'up an at em' approach to anything other than his own profile and well being. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Still find it weird. 

'genuinely annoyed' if we win. I just don't agree lol lol

This is a bloke who actively says he's not going to games and wants us to lose yet describes himself as a 'supporter'. There's that phrase about arguing with someone and never being able to win but I just can't remember who it describes.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This is a bloke who actively says he's not going to games and wants us to lose yet describes himself as a 'supporter'. There's that phrase about arguing with someone and never being able to win but I just can't remember who it describes.

I do and I am

I support the club of 130 odd years old, not one person who’s been here 3 years, thinks he’s much bigger and better than us, and is in the process of ruining us. 

Even this morning turned down a free hospitality ticket for tonight which will no doubt upset you

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Tbf he did say in his post match presser that he got the tactics wrong on Sunday. That seems to have been overlooked by lots of people as it doesn’t fit the agenda.