Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Aleksz said:

Found it weird how he was sat down for the whole of the second half last night (albeit stood up to watch us try and defend a corner in the last minute) - He never evens sits down. 

Was almost like he was sulking at something. Whether he told the players “you’re on your own go and sort that mess out” or he was pissed off at the fans for the boos/sarcastic cheers. I don’t know.

Was weird how no subs even as much as warmed up either.

Maybe the players mutinied and that’s why we scored 3? 😂

49 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Cags is one I actually would not pick out, he was utterly horrendous during the Euro's before he came back for this season. If damage was done during last season I do not recall, but his confidence was destroyed (As was he) during the Euros  :(

2 injuries over the 2 previous seasons that have seen in miss 34 games.

Plus the emergence of Fofanna may have also effected his confidence 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Isn't the several fold?

• Do you trust our scouting department to find targets required by the manager/club?
  • Do you trust the manager to select the best targets on offer?

And finally, and perhaps most critically,

• Do you trust the manager to make the best of the selected personnel brought in?

It is, and the answer to the last 2 given some of the signings he authorized and the way he's used lookman, Daka and Soumare this season (Soumare you could argue hasn't settled in the PL but Daka and Lookman especially have both spent the seasons having a good spell and then immediately being dropped for weeks at a time) is no. 

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Nearly every successful side in Europe's top leagues dominates possession stats in the majority of their games. If you don't like this type of football then you're best off watching games lower down the pyramid. It's how the modern-day game is now played at the elite level. 

A lot of them also have players that are 1) Elite level players and 2) Coached to move off the ball.

The biggest problem with our style of play is that when we are in possession there is almost 0 off the ball movement to create space. Everyone looks to come to the ball, come short, keep the ball which then allows the opposing team to push on and press because our players are dropping deep looking to retain possession rather than stretching the play. Its been like this for a long time now and its clearly a deliberate tactical decision. 

The only player who doesn't do this consistently is Vardy and its why we look so different when we play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Nearly every successful side in Europe's top leagues dominates possession stats in the majority of their games. If you don't like this type of football then you're best off watching games lower down the pyramid. It's how the modern-day game is now played at the elite level. 

But playing a possession based game doesn’t make you successful 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

There are perhaps ten who make a difference , players mostly make the real difference. Vardy, Barnes and Maddison made the difference last night , All of whom predate Rodgers and were high class before he came. Barnes may even have regressed under him.

....only ten that makes a difference, are you saying that clubs should be run by committee!!!

If managers do not make a difference therefore surely players would just turn up and do their own thing. Why put in an effort, let other players run around, there is no point exerting myself. 

Managers shape the way we play and are the arbiter of the club and its ethos. They develop talent and run a team of people who deal with aspects of the club such as S & C nutrition, physio, mental health, safegaurding in order to enable the squad of players to compete. Their knowledge of the game will be extensive and tactically aware of numerous formations in respect of pros and cons surrounding them. Your take on only 10 managers making a difference, means every man on the street is just as likely to walk into a club and take over the reins.

Most managers do not have the luxury of a war chest everywhere they go, I think you will find there are talented managers out there, who, without the proper finance are struggling to get their teams to where there talents deserve them to be.

23 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You can all the possession, it's what you do with that counts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....only ten that makes a difference, are you saying that clubs should be run by committee!!!

If managers do not make a difference therefore surely players would just turn up and do their own thing. Why put in an effort, let other players run around, there is no point exerting myself. 

Managers shape the way we play and are the arbiter of the club and its ethos. They develop talent and run a team of people who deal with aspects of the club such as S & C nutrition, physio, mental health, safegaurding in order to enable the squad of players to compete. Their knowledge of the game will be extensive and tactically aware of numerous formations in respect of pros and cons surrounding them. Your take on only 10 managers making a difference, means every man on the street is just as likely to walk into a club and take over the reins.

Most managers do not have the luxury of a war chest everywhere they go, I think you will find there are talented managers out there, who, without the proper finance are struggling to get their teams to where there talents deserve them to be.

Football players are not robots and in our case anyway , each and every one of our players is a far better footballer than Rodgers ever was and apart from Touré that goes for his staff as well. They know the game profoundly and as Ranieri admitted a light guidance is often the best tactic. If Rodgers has a fault its trying to make highly skilled and experienced players play in a way they know is not suitable for them. In short managerial influence is overrated and often damaging.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Football players are not robots and in our case anyway , each and every one of our players is a far better footballer than Rodgers ever was and apart from Touré that goes for his staff as well. They know the game profoundly and as Ranieri admitted a light guidance is often the best tactic. If Rodgers has a fault its trying to make highly skilled and experienced players play in a way they know is not suitable for them. In short managerial influence is overrated and often damaging.

....I think you will find that some of the best managers did not have stellar careers in football!!!

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling Error.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Clarkielcfc said:

Interesting that he’s not seemed to be in his technical area as much as normal tonight

There seems to be a bit of chat about this today. Apparently he was in his technical area as usual in the first half, but didn't move at all from the bench at all during the second half, even when we scored. Was something said at half-time?

Also some suggestions that he seemed a bit distracted in his post-match interviews, as if his mind was elsewhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I partly agree but then when you look at some of the most successful managers in history, Pep, Conte, Mourinho etc they are all incredibly specific in their detail and instruction of players. It just needs to be the correct instruction and as you say, requires the right players to play in the way the manager requires. It's pretty damning I think that our best 11 is still the same one Rodgers inherited when he arrived and he has slowly removed any flair or excitement in our play.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

There seems to be a bit of chat about this today. Apparently he was in his technical area as usual in the first half, but didn't move at all from the bench at all during the second half, even when we scored. Was something said at half-time?

Also some suggestions that he seemed a bit distracted in his post-match interviews, as if his mind was elsewhere. 

‘Your times up gaffer. We’ll show you what we can do when unhindered’ 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I think you will find that the best managers did not have stellar careers in football!!!

When Guardiola discusses tactics with de Brunye they do so as equals. There is no way that Rodgers can tell Vardy how to play football.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

What did he say? I can't remember...

We were 3-0 up at half time

0-0 second half

Rodgers was unhappy with the first half, but much happier with the second, which we ‘controlled’ 

Says it all for me

This idea of controlling a game is ridiculous. Score more than the opposition then that’s what’s called control. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

The thing about the possession stats is that it has to actually suit your team. There was a game a couple of weeks ago in which the commentators said that the games where we had The largest share of possession this season, we actually drew or lost the majority of them. 

It's a pain in the anus hole to check manually but the few games I did have a look, we seemed to get better results having 50-60% possession but often, anything above that, the results weren't so great. Like I say, it wasn't a huge amount of games I checked but there definately seemed to be a pattern developing. 

57 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Hamstrings gone, out for 6/8 weeks 

45 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Seen a lot of chat about yesterday's win causing people to change their opinion on Rodgers leaving to wanting to stay. Can't say I've seen any comments of that. 

Maybe people were just happy to see us play well at home, score goals, and play some good football. 

Sometimes just gotta enjoy what you get and last night was a good example. I don't think anyone's opinion of Rodgers changed because of last night?

Exactly - I think these are very good points. You have to enjoy winning. Essentially, we are fans and this club is one of many of our releases from every day life. So enjoy it. Part of those releases is also having a moan. 

I'd be very surprised if anyone's opinion changed after one result or a good half (i.e. West Ham at home). I'm very much Brendan out but I've been like that for a few months now. I've based this opinion on where I see the club going in the next 2/3 years and for various reasons I just dont trust Brendan fully with the next stage of our progress. I think the summer is absolutely key and even the idea of giving him a few months to see how it goes is very risky for us (granted, as is bringing in a new man - depends which risk appeals to you more). 

I'd love him to prove me wrong but our failure to rectify technical errors which are now habits. Alongside my concerns on how the club have struggled to improve the overall squad are two of many reasons why I think we need a change. A win yesterday or wins in the next three games is not going to change that. I'd have to see more than that. I'm pretty sure anyone who is on the other side of the opinion would also expect to see more to change their opinion. 

That's why you have to love this game - the opinions.  

Guest Chocolate Teapot
53 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Seen a lot of chat about yesterday's win causing people to change their opinion on Rodgers leaving to wanting to stay. Can't say I've seen any comments of that. 

Maybe people were just happy to see us play well at home, score goals, and play some good football. 

Sometimes just gotta enjoy what you get and last night was a good example. I don't think anyone's opinion of Rodgers changed because of last night?

Critical for me that he still has the players onside. I think he has as last night had the potential to break him. Win 2 out of the last 3 and we have momentum to build into next year.