Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Critical for me that he still has the players onside. I think he has as last night had the potential to break him. Win 2 out of the last 3 and we have momentum to build into next year.

All previous changes (Pearson apart) were with player backing 

as you say, there is little sign that he has issues with most of the squad 

but he has a lot of work to do over the summer 

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing possession football but it's the ideology behind it. We are scared to take risks in case we lose the ball which in turn goes against our ideology of controlling the game and therefore imore and more we recycle possession in protection mode.

I absolutely love it when we have the lions share of the ball but move it with purpose and take risks, if it doesn't come off and the opposition get the ball then at our best we simply work relentlessly to get the ball back and go again. This is the mantra that Rodgers seemed to believe in when he was first here but like everything, there's pressure, there's battle scars and protection mode has kicked in and we don't seem to be able to snap out of it consistently. So whilst that is now the norm, the possession system we deploy is flawed and is easy to play against and vulnerable to teams who are experienced at counter attacking football which then further makes a mockery of how little danger we possess with more time on the ball. 

....we need players who can pick up the ball and beat a man or two!!!

Because we do not do that, teams stay in their defensive shape and we try to pass around them, but we need movement and guile to implement this. The next set of players we recruit needs to give us  the creativity and skillset to carve open teams, by moving the ball without first passing back wards, and then looking to progress the play.

I have suggested Mahmoud Dahoud as our Tielemans replacement and Tete as the Right Winger  as the players that we need. Both can beat a man on their own and can carry the ball themselves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we need players who can pick up the ball and beat a man or two!!!

Because we do not do that, teams stay in their defensive shape and we try to pass around them, but we need movement and guile to implement this. The next set of players we recruit needs to give us  the creativity and skillset to carve open teams, by moving the ball without first passing back wards, and then looking to progress the play.

I have suggested Mahmoud Dahoud as our Tielemans replacement and Tete as the Right Winger  as the players that we need. Both can beat a man on their own and can carry the ball themselves.

Dahoud has played a lot of games for dortmund this season and is a good player for them. If he is to leave, then it will be to a better club than us. He’s also quite injury prone so not sure we need another player of that type. 

6 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

‘Your times up gaffer. We’ll show you what we can do when unhindered’ 

He's been managing at the top level for 10 years, and has managed some very creative players. You would think there would be a lot of players coming out with that criticism if it were, indeed, true.

I think if you actually look into it, it's more the case that he doesn't "hinder" players enough, i.e. he expects players to sort stuff out themselves once they cross the white line. That's why you rarely see him gesturing to specific players while the game is going on, it's always a polite applause, even for botched attempts, and then when the ball goes out he'll call a player over to have a word if something specific needs to be changed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing possession football but it's the ideology behind it. We are scared to take risks in case we lose the ball which in turn goes against our ideology of controlling the game and therefore imore and more we recycle possession in protection mode.

I absolutely love it when we have the lions share of the ball but move it with purpose and take risks, if it doesn't come off and the opposition get the ball then at our best we simply work relentlessly to get the ball back and go again. This is the mantra that Rodgers seemed to believe in when he was first here but like everything, there's pressure, there's battle scars and protection mode has kicked in and we don't seem to be able to snap out of it consistently. So whilst that is now the norm, the possession system we deploy is flawed and is easy to play against and vulnerable to teams who are experienced at counter attacking football which then further makes a mockery of how little danger we possess with more time on the ball. 

Great post - agree with every word.

2 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

He's been managing at the top level for 10 years, and has managed some very creative players. You would think there would be a lot of players coming out with that criticism if it were, indeed, true.

I think if you actually look into it, it's more the case that he doesn't "hinder" players enough, i.e. he expects players to sort stuff out themselves once they cross the white line. That's why you rarely see him gesturing to specific players while the game is going on, it's always a polite applause, even for botched attempts, and then when the ball goes out he'll call a player over to have a word if something specific needs to be changed.

....he does rip into players while they are on the pitch!!!

A few games back he was screaming at Lookman who blanked him, there are other players who have blanked him. Tielemans comes across for instructions now and again, and he had a heated exchange with Maddison in the WBA game where we were 3 - 0 up and he was unhappy we were being poor in our decision making and sloppy on the ball.

If you can remember him in the Southampton 9 - 0 (in the pouring rain) and he was in the technical area, orchestrating, all night.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daggers said:

I did.

I disproved the claim that Leicester were ‘the’ exception to the rule.

I mean you didn’t Dave, unless you have possession data for the entirety of the their 1988 FA cup campaign that proves it otherwise, I can imagine they had a decent amount against WBA, Mansfield Town, Newcastle, Watford and Luton. They won the final with less possession but that’s a one off a game, very different to 38. Winning a game with less than 50% possession is not out of the ordinary, winning an entire league is.

Plus there’s the fact that it’s a term of phrase that doesn’t have to be taken completely literally.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

12 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daggers said:

I do. She just goes to a different spreadsheet.

Fair play, probably a different spread sheet on a different computer on a different planet the rest of us live on knowing you these days mate 😂.

Genuinely hope you are well.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Fair play, probably a different spread sheet on a different computer on a different planet the rest of us live on knowing you these days mate 😂.

Genuinely hope you are well.  

Me too @Daggers

The Swan c 2007 a couple of beers with Lisa and Carl. I so enjoyed that. 

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 11:17, StanSP said:

Seen a lot of chat about yesterday's win causing people to change their opinion on Rodgers leaving to wanting to stay. Can't say I've seen any comments of that. 

Maybe people were just happy to see us play well at home, score goals, and play some good football. 

Sometimes just gotta enjoy what you get and last night was a good example. I don't think anyone's opinion of Rodgers changed because of last night?

It's taken me a long time to decide that BR is not who City need to guide their football. So, when a win pops up out of nowhere, it's reasonable to ask where it came from. I didn't see the match, but it appears that it wasn't the rolling over of Norwich the scoreline would indicate. Pukki was a sliver of goalpost away from scoring and Vardy's first was a deflection. However, that fortuitous goal appeared to galvanise the team and wither Norwich's will.

The players got much needed inspiration from a familiar source. 

I heard Piper on RL saying that Vardy's performance was a reaction to the WC court case ffs!

But, whatyever the cause, I doubt Rodgers was behind it.

Friday's City spot on RL was a cosy oil-on-water pouring. Brendan's rebuild blah, blah. Develop Soumare and Daka blah, blah. Rolling contract for Vardy blah di blah.

Daka could come good, admittedly, but Soumare?

Rodgers et al had last summer to strengthen the team. They still needed to find a good central defender (and have needed to for two seasons) notwithstanding the arrival of Fofana. The exacerbation of that shortcoming was  only further highlighted by his injury. Instead they bought a bargain basement make-do from Saints to plaster over the wound.

Apparently, according to the RL team, Tielemans wants CL. But nobody has evinced an 'aporth of interest in him. They lauded his vision and (erratic to me) passing accuracy. And, they opined, he still might sign the contract offered to him (an inch of dust surely has accumulated on its cover). He keeps the team's rhythm ticking over - blah blah. In another dimension to this, maybe.

Rodgers will be given this summer's spending money. All we can hope is that it's wisely spent.  

• Like 1

Interesting our first two goals came from direct long balls over the top. It’s something we don’t usually attempt.

Hopefully it’s something Brendan has instructed the players to do more of. Nothing wrong with playing it long sometimes and fighting for the first and second ball.

Remember Soyuncu launching long balls to Barnes against Rennes/West Ham at home and putting us on the front foot. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 3

Guest nathan.

He needs to bin off zonal marking and go man for man.

We could have been 2 down easily today.