Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Its not a surprise that the manager of the best and most expensive squad weve ever had is achieving the best results.

People talking likes taken a rag tag team of lower league players and overachieving with them lol

• Firstly, we've all got approx 30 years worth of football knowledge and history that shows us that money doesn't always equal success. There's countless examples of big money being misspent in top flight football 
  • Even if we do currently have the 'best and most expensive squad we've ever had' your point is largely rendered irrelevant by 1) how much our resources are dwarfed by at least 6 other clubs in our division and many more across the continent who we also compete with for players 2) we've historically never been a club that's had money or huge investment
  • Don't buy into the media narrative that we are somehow part of a new 'big 6'. We're still punching way above our weight. Have you seen the spending this summer amongst our competitors? 
  • We've only ever finished top 6 in the top flight 3 times in our history. And 2 of them just happened! 
  • Historically it is incredibly difficult to break into the top 6, and even more so the top 4. In the last 33 years over 71% of all top 6 places have gone to the 'big 6' clubs. 82% of the top 4 places went to the 'big 6'. Other than our title win, no one has broken into the top 4 for 16 years in a row. 95% of top 4 places over the last 20 years were secured by a 'big 6' club. 
  • What we're trying to achieve - break into the top 6 and top 4 without spending billions - is totally unprecedented 

So yes, we are, relatively speaking, a rag tag team and Brendan Rodgers has got us to overachieve in his time here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I dont think we have a 'greatest ever manager', not in the same way that Vardy is our greatest ever player quite easily. Rodgers is up there but he's not massively impressive just yet, he's only been here 2 and a half seasons and while the FA cup win is impressive it doesnt set himself apart from the others such as Claudio just yet. If he's here for 7 or so seasons, wins us another major trophy such as FA cup or europa and consolidates us as a european club then he will quite clearly be our greatest ever manager. If he drops off now, with this squad, i think ranieri would still edge him.

Rodgers has done it consistently. Ranieri had one, albeit great, season.

There cannot be a "greatest" player or manager, football has changed so much over years it's impossible to compare, but Rodgers is among our greatest. What will another 5 years prove to you? He's already had two top 6 finishes and won an FA Cup.

Football is all about consistency. The greatest players and managers of any era are the greatest because they are consistent and Rodgers has been more consistent than Ranieri.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:
  • Firstly, we've all got approx 30 years worth of football knowledge and history that shows us that money doesn't always equal success. There's countless examples of big money being misspent in top flight football 
  • Even if we do currently have the 'best and most expensive squad we've ever had' your point is largely rendered irrelevant by 1) how much our resources are dwarfed by at least 6 other clubs in our division and many more across the continent who we also compete with for players 2) we've historically never been a club that's had money or huge investment
  • Don't buy into the media narrative that we are somehow part of a new 'big 6'. We're still punching way above our weight. Have you seen the spending this summer amongst our competitors? 
  • We've only ever finished top 6 in the top flight 3 times in our history. And 2 of them just happened! 
  • Historically it is incredibly difficult to break into the top 6, and even more so the top 4. In the last 33 years over 71% of all top 6 places have gone to the 'big 6' clubs. 82% of the top 4 places went to the 'big 6'. Other than our title win, no one has broken into the top 4 for 16 years in a row. 95% of top 4 places over the last 20 years were secured by a 'big 6' club. 
  • What we're trying to achieve - break into the top 6 and top 4 without spending billions - is totally unprecedented 

So yes, we are, relatively speaking, a rag tag team and Brendan Rodgers has got us to overachieve in his time here. 

We've finished top 6, in the top flight, about 7 times in our history. You probably missed the late 20's, when we finished 2nd and 3rd, and then the 60's under Gillies 60-61 and 62-63. Then Ranieri and then Rodgers twice so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Rodgers has done it consistently. Ranieri had one, albeit great, season.

There cannot be a "greatest" player or manager, football has changed so much over years it's impossible to compare, but Rodgers is among our greatest. What will another 5 years prove to you? He's already had two top 6 finishes and won an FA Cup.

Football is all about consistency. The greatest players and managers of any era are the greatest because they are consistent and Rodgers has been more consistent than Ranieri.

Yet if rodgers bombs this season and gets sacked, most fans, i think, would say that Ranieri's title winning season outshines both of Rodger's top 6 finishes + FA cup. I think your reply contradicts itself, you ask what 5 more years would prove whilst also talking about the importance of consistency, rodgers hasnt proven he can get us performing consistently at the top level yet, 2 seasons is too short for that, if he's doing it for 5 years then he can have a case over ranieri due to longetivity, as it stands atm they both had short managerial stints, with rodgers's still going, but ranieri's peak was much higher.

There has to be a point at which in our season we have a 100% fully fit squad. When that happens our results will show. Will it be good enough to get us to the finish line with enough points to qualify for the champions league? Will we win another trophy like the Europa perhaps? We will have to wait and see. We have not seen the best of us but when it does click (and it will) enjoy it! I predict a 2nd half season rally.

15 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Yet if rodgers bombs this season and gets sacked, most fans, i think, would say that Ranieri's title winning season outshines both of Rodger's top 6 finishes + FA cup. I think your reply contradicts itself, you ask what 5 more years would prove whilst also talking about the importance of consistency, rodgers hasnt proven he can get us performing consistently at the top level yet, 2 seasons is too short for that, if he's doing it for 5 years then he can have a case over ranieri due to longetivity, as it stands atm they both had short managerial stints, with rodgers's still going, but ranieri's peak was much higher.

I'll agree to disagree, as it's all opinions, but for me two top 6 finishes is consistency.

• Like 2

To be honest lads I'd be happy with forty points, just forty points (a la Claudio). Anything above that would be a bonus. We are Leicester City, mid table, middle of England, middle management, middle of the road as Easy Life said.

6 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

I know, it’s incredible really! 

For those who say he’s lucky to be working with such talent, who do you think developed the talent? The players consistently praise his coaching skills. Rodgers is rare in that he is both a brilliant coach and man manager. 

And, to say it again, WE ARE OVERACHIEVING! For the previous two seasons, our budget and wage bill, the two biggest predictors of league position, have been at the lower end of the top 10. Yet we’ve almost qualified for the CL twice, won the FA Cup and played arguably the most entertaining football ever from a Leicester side. 

Sometimes I think many of our fans prefer being miserable or a moan. Not saying we should never criticise but some of the comments here are mad! 

Enjoy these times, they’re incredible for us fans. 

I wouldn’t say we are over achieving, we have secured 5th place twice on merit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dayday said:

I wouldn’t say we are over achieving, we have secured 5th place twice on merit.

Definitely we are there on merit but we’re overachieving based on our budget which is a fraction of the ‘big six’. 

Worth also remembering we beat 4 PL sides to win the FA Cup, including two of the top four, making it an even more brilliant achievement. 

Am worried about his team building ability, into his 3rd season here, 100m+ spent and our starting XI is pretty much the same as when he walked through the door. The first team is filled with quality but is feeling a bit stale for me, rodgers needs to find a way to shake it up rather than clinging onto the earlier success we had with this lineup.

• Thanks 2

Our backbone is based around Evans and consistency in defence - really tough especially with us being weak at centre half and hence playing our football early in this season has been tough. If we can get an Evans or Vestergaard fit we will look a different team especially with Bertrand bringing experience - Cags and Maddison are a concern but BR will know we need to improve !

41 minutes ago, Corky said:

Made a comment in the match thread about how the quality of the football has worsened in the last two years. We were vibrant and used to press and play higher up the pitch. Nowadays we seem to play a lot deeper and, despite still getting results (because of the quality of player), we're much tougher to watch.

Don't get me wrong, overall he's done a fine job and points wise we've had a decent start but I think we could be more lively and expansive. You still see glimpses of that quick passing and movement we used to play regularly.

100% true, but we've gotten street wise as a result of that. We've been poor this season, yet still have 6 points out of 9. Had Ayoze not got sent off against West Ham, perhaps we'd have got something there? We were awful, but we got back to 2-1 despite being down to 10 men. So despite being bullied by West Ham and fair criticism of the team having a soft underbelly, we are good at grinding out results and wins, as evidenced in the FA Cup Final last season. But we've sacrificed some of the "sexy football" as a result of that.

I definitely don't agree with everything Rodgers does. That lineup against West Ham was poor and I feel like he's too lenient on some players (Perez, Maddison) whereas overly harsh on others (Iheanacho, Praet). But the Premier League is bonkers in terms of the gulf in resources that clubs have at their disposal. See signings like Grealish, Lukaku, Ronaldo as an example. When you look at Arsenal today as a comparison it goes to show you how brutal the league can be. I think Rodgers has realised that and become more pragmatic as a result.

In fact how many teams in the league play sexy football anyway? Man City and Liverpool yep. Chelsea? Brilliant team, but I think they play a mixed style that is very effective but hardly 1970's Brazil. Man U, Spurs, Arsenal all teams that are traditionally associated with attacking, pleasing on the eye football don't play that way anymore. West Ham are great against us, but they struggle against a deep block big time because they are a counter attacking team. It's really, really hard to play good football AND get results with it in a league that is this competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Made a comment in the match thread about how the quality of the football has worsened in the last two years. We were vibrant and used to press and play higher up the pitch. Nowadays we seem to play a lot deeper and, despite still getting results (because of the quality of player), we're much tougher to watch.

Don't get me wrong, overall he's done a fine job and points wise we've had a decent start but I think we could be more lively and expansive. You still see glimpses of that quick passing and movement we used to play regularly.

As I said in the match thread to you, Welcome to possession based football.

Don't say I didn't warn you. I've been dismissived of this negative, boring style for atleast those 2 years, probably slightly infact defintely longer.

I don't get it, it's beyond me, why anyone would want to play in this way or watch this insipid stuff I do not know, each to their own though.

I can't disagree with anything you say, and as I said in this thread earlier in the week it is possible to see the good thinks Rodgers has done, be thankful for it and appreciate it whilst also being critical and pointing out the bad parts, the bad parts being the same things over and over again, never seeming to learn or change it and tbh those things seem to be becoming more and more common if anything.

Today felt like a Puel game.

We'll probably play brilliantly against Man City.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't think we have been boring and negative for the 2 years, we have had patches were we have been turgid but we have also played some awesome football at times.

You don't score 138 league goals and win 38 games in the last two seasons being negative and boring all the time. 

I don't mean we've been boring and negative for the whole 2 years, as I said you can think Rodgers has done good things and we can be thankful and appreciative of what he's done, we have played some fantastic stuff but it think we've equally been boring and negative as modern football is, it's not an issue exclusive to us, it's a issue caused by the "You must play this one size fits all type possession football" mentality.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

As I said in the match thread to you, Welcome to possession based football.

Don't say I didn't warn you. I've been dismissived of this negative, boring style for atleast those 2 years, probably slightly infact defintely longer.

I don't get it, it's beyond me, why anyone would want to play in this way or watch this insipid stuff I do not know, each to their own though.

I can't disagree with anything you say, and as I said in this thread earlier in the week it is possible to see the good thinks Rodgers has done, be thankful for it and appreciate it whilst also being critical and pointing out the bad parts, the bad parts being the same things over and over again, never seeming to learn or change it and tbh those things seem to be becoming more and more common if anything.

Today felt like a Puel game.

We'll probably play brilliantly against Man City.

I don’t dislike what I saw today, I play chess and enjoy that, possession football reminds me very much of the strategic and committed application to chess moves, I loved the game I watched today, it was edgy and exciting, it’s challenging, it’s rewarding when we get a result, we have one of the Great coaches of world football and over time he will leave us better than we were when he arrived, that’s what great coaches do, they build a legacy. 

If Rodgers was to go - who would we get in as a replacement?

I feel like whenever this question is asked of any person who isn't a fan of his who tells the club to send him to Arsenal, I feel like there's never a realistic or legit answer.

So I'd like to ask it again - if for some bizarre weird stupid reason we got rid of Rodgers, who would you bring in?

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

100% true, but we've gotten street wise as a result of that. We've been poor this season, yet still have 6 points out of 9. Had Ayoze not got sent off against West Ham, perhaps we'd have got something there? We were awful, but we got back to 2-1 despite being down to 10 men. So despite being bullied by West Ham and fair criticism of the team having a soft underbelly, we are good at grinding out results and wins, as evidenced in the FA Cup Final last season. But we've sacrificed some of the "sexy football" as a result of that.

I definitely don't agree with everything Rodgers does. That lineup against West Ham was poor and I feel like he's too lenient on some players (Perez, Maddison) whereas overly harsh on others (Iheanacho, Praet). But the Premier League is bonkers in terms of the gulf in resources that clubs have at their disposal. See signings like Grealish, Lukaku, Ronaldo as an example. When you look at Arsenal today as a comparison it goes to show you how brutal the league can be. I think Rodgers has realised that and become more pragmatic as a result.

In fact how many teams in the league play sexy football anyway? Man City and Liverpool yep. Chelsea? Brilliant team, but I think they play a mixed style that is very effective but hardly 1970's Brazil. Man U, Spurs, Arsenal all teams that are traditionally associated with attacking, pleasing on the eye football don't play that way anymore. West Ham are great against us, but they struggle against a deep block big time because they are a counter attacking team. It's really, really hard to play good football AND get results with it in a league that is this competitive.

At the end of the day it's purely results driven could quite easily have been sitting on 2 points  so thankfully we have had the luck of the draw so far 😀

• Like 1