Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Maximum 40 goals conceded if we want to push the top six? 

So far this season Spurs have conceded 40, Arsenal 47, Man Utd 56 (only 1 less than us this season) and West Ham 48 these are all in and around the top 6 this season. Last season, everyone apart from Man City conceded more than 40 goals. The defence does need to improve, and we can't argue that having a settled back line will do wonders for our goals conceeded, but lets not go overboard. We shipped 50 last season and were easily in the top 6. 

You are correct of course ,it has been a generally bad season for defending . We won the title conceding 36 and all the top seven were around 40 or below. Maybe too many teams are playing high line football without the necessary defensive qualities to remain  solid. Even Man.City were repeatedly caught out by West Ham.

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

Best signing he could make is an experienced coach to his backroom staff. There are former Premier league managers and coaches knocking about, bring one of them in for the season. Having a second opinion on this squad will make such a difference 

John Terry he would sort them out

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Will it be an issue if we sign Normann and Colwill though and they turn out to be good buys? 

Still waiting for Bertrand to turn out as a good buy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

Exactly, Watford looked like scoring everytime they had a corner, pretty much the same story all season. JJ has come back from injury and seems to have forgotten how to defend. In the end I think it's more then personal, the organisation from the manager and his assistants just isn't there. 

...the think is that, he ( Rodgers) believes a change of personnel is the answer to the problem!!!

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

You are correct of course ,it has been a generally bad season for defending . We won the title conceding 36 and all the top seven were around 40 or below. Maybe too many teams are playing high line football without the necessary defensive qualities to remain  solid. Even Man.City were repeatedly caught out by West Ham.

...they are not that hot defensively!!!

We (Vardy) have caught them out before by playing on the counter. With their front line and midfield, teams have their hands full to contain them. Nullify this by sitting deep in numbers and if you have the pace in your team, you can hurt them.

When all is said and done, they are quite predictable.

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Injuries when we've had about 4367 games this season, and our short-ass team (set pieces).  

Injuries and games aren't his short comings.

They are difficulties.

His shortcomings are his own weaknesses.  There are plenty... I went for ego and possession obsession.   I nearly went for binning players rather than fix them; or his poor defensive set up.

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Keep seeing the phrase 'changed their mind' after the last two victories.

Who has actually changed their mind?

I was going to post something similar.

How about expected wins with some good goals but too many defensive frailties still exposed?

2 hours ago, Aleksz said:

That Mercury article from the other day has got me thinking. 

Do you ever feel with Rodgers that it’s a bit too much like jobs for the boys? He brings in Toure, Davies, Driscoll and Lyons when he comes in (which in all fairness isn’t too out of the ordinary - most managers bring in their own assistants/fitness/analysts). 

But he really started by bringing in Congerton who ultimately didn’t pull up any trees and the club have ended up seeing him out the door. Then he bombs out Rennie as head of medical for this Bryan English fella who he knew from Chelsea, which has been an absolute car crash.

Then Bertrand comes in last summer who has played for Rodgers before - who also turns out is represented by (and advises) the same agency, First Access Sports that Rodgers’ old Celtic chief scout heads up… Oh and Rodgers’ son works for them too for good measure. 

You go down the list of their clients - Mathias Normann & Levi Colwill, two players we’ve been heavily linked with over the last year… and you also see two players Armando Broja & Dynel Simeu signed by none other than our new head of recruitment Martyn Glover at Southampton.

I just don’t like it, and it reeks. I, like a lot of you, want to see him bring in new staff to address the Set Piece and Fitness issues over the summer, but going on previous evidence it has me a bit worried that not a lot will change and it’ll be another Brendan chum to come in.. if any. 

It's not a root problem if they're fit for purpose. Big Nige built a network while he was here and if you trust certain people, then in itself it's not an issue. But that has to reflect on the pitch and for the most part, I see a disjointed side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aleksz said:

Do you ever feel with Rodgers that it’s a bit too much like jobs for the boys? He brings in Toure, Davies, Driscoll and Lyons when he comes in (which in all fairness isn’t too out of the ordinary - most managers bring in their own assistants/fitness/analysts). 

But he really started by bringing in Congerton who ultimately didn’t pull up any trees and the club have ended up seeing him out the door. Then he bombs out Rennie as head of medical for this Bryan English fella who he knew from Chelsea, which has been an absolute car crash.

Then Bertrand comes in last summer who has played for Rodgers before - who also turns out is represented by (and advises) the same agency, First Access Sports that Rodgers’ old Celtic chief scout heads up… Oh and Rodgers’ son works for them too for good measure. 

You go down the list of their clients - Mathias Normann & Levi Colwill, two players we’ve been heavily linked with over the last year… and you also see two players Armando Broja & Dynel Simeu signed by none other than our new head of recruitment Martyn Glover at Southampton.

I just don’t like it, and it reeks. I, like a lot of you, want to see him bring in new staff to address the Set Piece and Fitness issues over the summer, but going on previous evidence it has me a bit worried that not a lot will change and it’ll be another Brendan chum to come in.. if any. 

Firstly coaching staffs at clubs are generally like that - I have listened to a lot of podcasts and read a lot of interviews with managers. The most important line is quite often trust within a coaching staff. This is exactly why Rennie left because he had a tendency to go above managers heads and chat to board level (see Ranieri). 

The agent/agency thing is something you'll find at every club when you look very close with a fine tooth comb. You'll also find that the Normann and Colwill is probably more of a tactic for their own contracts at their own clubs. It was also an article of complete speculation with no foundation and I suspect the Mercury might have got a phone call about it as well. Man City, Man United and Arsenal all have intricate relationships (or non-existent) with certain agents for better or worse. Alex Ferguson of course had his son working as an agent. 

20 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I know they’re not his short comings. I said that they’re the explanation behind them. 

What?  He has shortcoming because there have been alot of games?

An obsession with posession is not caused by the number of games.

A willingness to disguard players rather than fix them is not caused by an injury crisis .

An unwillingness to admit that he has made mistakes is not caused by anything else than insecurity.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan

I haven’t changed my view of Rodgers on the back of beating two relegated sides. I still find our time under him very bizarre. We can play some beautiful football one week, then stink the place out the next. He’s been very unlucky with injuries but these seem to coincide with Dave Rennie being forced out. 
Some of his subs are bizarre to say the least. And he’s signed some duffers too!

BUT then, on our day we look like world-beaters! 
I’m confused…. I don’t understand how we can start two seasons on fire, only then to drop off SO badly in both of them?

And why we still concede from so many corners??

Aaaaaaaarggh! :dunno:

I wonder if Van-Bronkhorst is earning £10. Million a year? Highly unlikely. It’s a complete failure we didn’t reach one of the two Europa finals this year. Is there any Glasgow Rangers players who’d get into our starting 11? Maybe one? 

• Like 2

On 17/05/2022 at 16:14, Aleksz said:

Good article and points by you too, what annoys me is that he just seems to sign the worst of his former allies/cronies never the good ones such as Coutinho who preferred to go to Villa and Gerrard rather than our progressive club and our "elite" manager!

We were linked with players such as Toney and Bowen - both subsequently assets to their new club but they either didn't fancy coming here or BR decided weren't good enough.

We seem to be constantly linked with defenders but never the positions we are in dire need of!

I despair of this man and really do not rate him as a motivator or tactician much less a talent spotter!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 17/05/2022 at 17:46, StanSP said:

Keep seeing the phrase 'changed their mind' after the last two victories.

Who has actually changed their mind?

Definitely not. I wanted him gone before and I want him gone now. 

It's fine to beat two already-relegated clubs in games with no jeopardy. And OK, we've been a bit better in them and finally scored some goals.

I'm sick of the monotony of the way we play though. The drone of it all. Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball. No imagination. No adventure. 

I'm convinced Brendan hates it when we score, because in his mind we've just given possession away. 

5 minutes ago, Fizo said:

Did he even have a look at this Calvin Bassey before letting him go for peanuts. The guy has been the stand out player for Rangers in Europa final tonight. 

He probably saw him make a forward pass once and banished him forever.

(I'm joking Stan). 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Master Fox said:

I wonder if Van-Bronkhorst is earning £10. Million a year? Highly unlikely. It’s a complete failure we didn’t reach one of the two Europa finals this year. Is there any Glasgow Rangers players who’d get into our starting 11? Maybe one? 

Wow

And what I love most about Ange, having seen it first-hand for several years, is his philosophy for football to be entertaining and adventurous. 

While he was at YFM, in the summer of 2018 his Dad was seriously ill and didn't have long to live. Going to Vegalta Sendai in an away game, knowing it would likely be the last game his Dad would see his son manage, he played to be as entertaining as possible and give that last bit of enjoyment for him.

They won that game 8-2.  

Edited by Asha
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Asha said:

And what I love most about Ange, having seen it first-hand for several years, is his philosophy for football to be entertaining and adventurous. 

While he was at YFM, in the summer of 2018 his Dad was seriously ill and didn't have long to live. Going to Vegalta Sendai in an away game, knowing it would likely be the last game his Dad would see his son manage, he played to be as entertaining as possible and give that last bit of enjoyment for him.

They won that game 8-2.  

Fair play, nice way to share a last memory with his old man before he passed.

His stock has certainly elevated since joining Celtic. I'm curious to find out more from your first hand experience watching him during your time in Tokyo and Australia

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fizo said:

Did he even have a look at this Calvin Bassey before letting him go for peanuts. The guy has been the stand out player for Rangers in Europa final tonight. 

Jason Cundy and Jamie O'Hara were raving about his performance tonight on Talksport. Aren't we crying out for a CB?