Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

We've had lots of division in the fanbase in the past few months but after the Breformation comes the Brenlightenment. Keep the faith in the Brevolution.

You need brendurance to watch it

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We've won 3, drew 4 and lost 3 of the last 10

The previous 10, we'd won 4, lost 4 and drew 2

The underlying defensive metrics are better, down from an horrific 1.76 xGA to a still bad 1.34xGA

Offensively, we've gone from 1.11 xG to 1.09 xG

So we have improved on the aggregate but we're still rubbish. Norwich and Watford falling in the same week is kind scheduling, they're so bad we can't place too much stock on those results

I dunno, I'm speaking off the top of my head, but you're going back 10 games.  Was Vardy et al available 10 games ago?

Maybe, I dunno and if you're telling me that results haven't improved I will take your word for it but we still haven't been able to field anything close to our first team til Watford because of rotation.

It’s just so frustrating that we are relatively free scoring with a number of goal threats but can’t see teams off .

Defending  corners and having a plan to close out games from 80 minutes should be coachable and it’s maddening that we haven’t got it figured out 

1 hour ago, LaCiudad said:

You're just searching for and fabricating negatives. I feel sorry for you.

He left Swansea for Liverpool mid table and didn’t need a rebuild there. When Suarez left his signings were poor. Raiding Southampton. When Liverpool needed a rebuild he wasn’t up to it. I ask again where has he been successful rebuilding a team? 

42 minutes ago, surrifox said:

It’s just so frustrating that we are relatively free scoring with a number of goal threats but can’t see teams off .

Defending  corners and having a plan to close out games from 80 minutes should be coachable and it’s maddening that we haven’t got it figured out 

Yeah, I am Rodgers in -- and think we have had a lot of bad luck since the COVID crisis in all sorts of ways -- but this aspect is frustrating. In truth, I am I think it might be a team collective Yips -- and in these situations, a team rebuild can be really helpful. If "we" keep doing it, then "we" find a way to keep doing it; and at that point, you have to change the "we."

At times, although very few, I doubted Rodgers especially after both the awful EL campaign and then going out against Roma in the ECL, but you can’t deny that the results are coming. Then you remember the injuries and the pandemic too, and really realise he is doing a good job. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

At times, although very few, I doubted Rodgers especially after both the awful EL campaign and then going out against Roma in the ECL, but you can’t deny that the results are coming. Then you remember the injuries and the pandemic too, and really realise he is doing a good job. 

The results are coming when we're playing teams with nothing to play for lol , these games tell us nothing tbh 

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The results are coming when we're playing teams with nothing to play for lol , these games tell us nothing tbh 

Yeah but we are likely to finish top half, and despite the injuries too. This is the first season Rodgers hasn’t improved our points total, fair, but the circumstances haven’t been ideal either 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

3 hours ago, murphy said:

There is very little leeway given in this thread for an apocalyptic season long injury crisis (I can be dramatic too ;))

Did you not notice?

There seems to be very little consideration that the style of play (which I admit has been moribund at times) might have been bought about by said injury crisis, ie a cautious approach due to our weakened position.  Let's not pretend that we haven't played good attacking football under Rodgers.

The worry is that some people have made up their minds now.  'Rogers out' has become entrenched and there's none so blind as those that will not see, as they say.

Personally I believe that Rodgers has no case to answer after two 5th places followed by a top ten finish and the flippin FA Cup (you ingrates).   That is not to say that I don't have any concerns at all, the meek surrender at Forest, the inability to defend set pieces and in particular, some of Rogers'comments talking down the club and the team have infuriated me.  It seems to me that those kind of comments are designed purely to protect his own image and absolve himself of any blame which I find a little nauseating.

On balance, with the mitigating circumstances we have had to endure, Rodgers has earned the right to lead us into next season and has also earned the right to expect the support of the fans imo.

Claudio ranieri won us the PL yet i dont think most people on here would be happy if he was our manager again and in hindsight it looks like sacking him the season after doing the unthinkable was the right decision. Rodgers achieved two 5th placed finishes but the points achieved and the overall performances in both seasons would struggle to get top 6 most years, we weren't anything special. We just looked better than we were because Ole and Frank Lampard were managing chelsea and manchester united and Arsenal and Spurs were both in limbo.

On top of that we were like two sides of a coin in both seasons, we were on track for 80+ points for half the season then in relegation form the next. I know it's not as simple as this but the way i see things is that quality players raise the maximum performance of the side and a good manager improves the overall consistency of a side. I dont think a good manager can make crap players play brilliantly and i dont think good players can be consistent over a season without a solid tactical setup in place and good man management to bring out the quality in them. Being consistently brilliant over half a season is impressive but our ability to go from cloud 9 to relegation form surely has to put question marks over rodgers head even if we did finish in 5th place. I would be more impressed if we were on track for 65-70 points for the entire season and showed stability rather than having the meltdowns which we had.

In terms of the FA cup we won the final off of a wonder goal (our only shot on target) and multiple wonder saves from Kasper, Rodgers subbing on Wes very nearly cost us the lead as well and we were fortunate that chilwell was offside. We had a lot of fight in us that day which rodgers can get credit for but i dont think he contributed in a tactical sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Claudio ranieri won us the PL yet i dont think most people on here would be happy if he was our manager again and in hindsight it looks like sacking him the season after doing the unthinkable was the right decision. Rodgers achieved two 5th placed finishes but the points achieved and the overall performances in both seasons would struggle to get top 6 most years, we weren't anything special. We just looked better than we were because Ole and Frank Lampard were managing chelsea and manchester united and Arsenal and Spurs were both in limbo.

On top of that we were like two sides of a coin in both seasons, we were on track for 80+ points for half the season then in relegation form the next. I know it's not as simple as this but the way i see things is that quality players raise the maximum performance of the side and a good manager improves the overall consistency of a side. I dont think a good manager can make crap players play brilliantly and i dont think good players can be consistent over a season without a solid tactical setup in place and good man management to bring out the quality in them. Being consistently brilliant over half a season is impressive but our ability to go from cloud 9 to relegation form surely has to put question marks over rodgers head even if we did finish in 5th place. I would be more impressed if we were on track for 65-70 points for the entire season and showed stability rather than having the meltdowns which we had.

In terms of the FA cup we won the final off of a wonder goal (our only shot on target) and multiple wonder saves from Kasper, Rodgers subbing on Wes very nearly cost us the lead as well and we were fortunate that chilwell was offside. We had a lot of fight in us that day which rodgers can get credit for but i dont think he contributed in a tactical sense.

Oh my god, this is a terrible post… 

Do people hate Rodgers that much that they are willing to put down all achievements under his tenure to try to prove a point 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

He left Swansea for Liverpool mid table and didn’t need a rebuild there. When Suarez left his signings were poor. Raiding Southampton. When Liverpool needed a rebuild he wasn’t up to it. I ask again where has he been successful rebuilding a team? 

Watford Swansea Celtic

5 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

This has to be the worst, glass not only half empty but smashed on the floor, ridiculous post even by FT levels.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Oh my god, this is a terrible post… 

Do people hate Rodgers that much that they are willing to put down all achievements under his tenure to try to prove a point 

Yes. They need help with issues.

2 minutes ago, Vazman said:

The only thing terrible is your response to someone's opinion

I edited the post to add a bit more detail, let’s face it you can’t deny the achievements are good? that is objective. I have seen leagues won with mid 70’s in terms of points and top 4 in lower 60’s often 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

Watford Swansea Celtic

He wasn’t at Watford long enough for a rebuild. 😂😂 He left Swansea in a strong position mid table so not needing a rebuild. Celtic went on to win the league the same season he left for us. Listing his previous jobs doesn’t mean he rebuild them. 

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Not far off the mark really.

Deserves credit for the incredible runs, but also deserves stick for us crumbling. He got absolutely schooled by Steve Bruce last season and then when a 2nd  opportunity is handed on a plate we can't see off an on the beach Spurs in a game were leading comfortably.

I expect people outside the club to base opinions solely on outcomes but youd like to think people who see the matches week in week out would have slightly more nuanced thoughts.

Anyone would think the bloke has dragged us up out of league one and single handedly taken a bunch of lower league players to places the club has never been before.

I love Pearson, and I know what you are saying… have we collapsed the last two seasons, yes, have we been pretty awful this season, yes. No one can deny it. At the same time we have won the FA Cup, broken records and likely to get eighth this season. Rodgers is learning still, and I’m willing to go with that while we continue to have our best years in history. I will give him that time. Just nice to have consistency rather than changing manager again, there is no need to change at the moment 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Yes we've moved on. Yes we should be considering ourselves as mid table or top ten - but thinking we have some divine right to break into the top six is still a fanciful notion and needs several things to line up in our favour. That's not to say that having the right manager isn't one of them. 

.....no one is actually saying this, it just gets repeated over and over again!!!

We as a club are capable of finishing within the top 6, we don't expect it, we aspire to be there every year. Targets are put in place and we strive to attain them, once we attain what we set out to do, we set new targets which pushes us to achieve more. It is how professional sportsmen view the sport they seek to compete in..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

He wasn’t at Watford long enough for a rebuild. 😂😂 He left Swansea in a strong position mid table so not needing a rebuild. Celtic went on to win the league the same season he left for us. Listing his previous jobs doesn’t mean he rebuild them. 

You can do a rebuild based on someone's previous 'build' when you arrive you know... It's not limited to suiting your narrative. 

Edited by LaCiudad

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Averages so I could put our in context. 

It took ages to manually count the the under figures lol 

You can filter by date on understat’s site, although they use a different model to fbref/Statsbomb 

• Like 1