Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

And suddenly it's a very easy, relaxed conversation between people who see some things differently, but have a common goal overall. These moments are what I wait for on FT, and it needs more of us to allow it to happen. The moment anyone says anything reasonable, I am all ears, regardless of the opinion.

100% agreed mate.

Playing devils advocate though - both sides of the fence typically already have their answers ready and this forum/debate is best when the comments are read and not generalized.

We all want Leicester to succeed, playing high pressing football (that we have previously done under Rodgers).

• Like 1

As always good points well made….and 100% you could pick half a dozen games this season that would/should take us back into Europe….Spurs, Everton away, Newcastle, Brighton away, Villa away….there is no doubt we should have been top six particularly with United way off the mark, I do think less games with the size of our squad will benefit us (It has affected West Ham) and even tomorrow Southampton played on Tuesday, we played Thursday….got to be harder with shorter turnaround…think this post is leaning the way of it’s not been great,we have had some good moments,, but there have been reasons beyond control for some justification to finishing 8th. I have renewed for next season….Brendan has earned a crack at it….review due mid October….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes I do, we've thrown away 15+ points from conceding goals in the last 10 mins and most of those came without Vardy. Our away form this season is nearly relegation standard. 

I have seen it so many times , the kingpin striker leaves , decline follows. Bayern are desperate to keep Lewandowski, PSG are offering Mbappe a huge bribe to stay. Vardyless LCFC will be a very different club. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a curious one because you are absolutely right, qualifying for Europe is never par for the course for us, even if we are now more than capable of doing so and if we don't and in the manner of the mistakes we've made this season then more should be demanded but it's about context.

There is an element of what fans may ask for as the bare minimum and for a reasonable outcome that actually isn't reasonable at all. For example, most of our fans aren't demanding top 6 but we want our team to be able to defend set pieces, play a style of football that doesn't render the majority of the game pointless in attempting to create chances and score, not have away form that's relegation standard, beat the majority of the non big 6 at home and have a good go in the cups.

However when you add all that together you'd not finish mid table, probably not even 8th unless the standard of those around us significantly improves. So I get that there's an element of unreasonable dissatisfaction mid season and performances should be assessed as a whole. Even so this season we have made a huge amount of mistakes and it's a big drop off from the previous 2 seasons so it's inevitable there's concern for some, anger for others. 

I always look at points total rather than positions. This team is a 60 points a season team. Less than that and its likely we'll have rued some missed opportunities and regrets and more than 60 and we'll have maximised our potential and really taken it to the big 6.

60 points in some seasons is top 6, but in others it's 7th or even 8th. Yet some seasons 8th can be achieved much much less than that (52 this season potentially) and yet there's a big difference. That's probably why the likes of Castagne feel like this season has been horrible and yet Rodgers points out 8th is decent for us and shouldn't be sniffed at.

Context Brendan, stop pulling pissers.

It depends on what context you apply.

In a season with little or no injuries and no European football, we should and, in my view, would have hit 60 pts. 

In a season that has been littered with injuries and an extended European run (14 extra games), 8th and 52pts I would consider decent (If we beat. Southhampton) 

Possibly finishing only 7 points behind West Ham, who most pundits would say have had a great season. 

I also believe we could have hit 60pts without putting all our focus on the Roma Semi-Final, Between PSV (A) and Roma (A). 

Around that period, we played 6 PL, W0, D2, L4, and 2pts, averaging 0.33 points per game. 

In the 3 games prior, we took 7pts averaging 2.33 pts per game (W2, D 1) 

Similarly, in the 3 games post that period, we took 7pts averaging 2.33 pts per game (W2, D 1).

Would it be difficult to imagine us picking up 8-10 points from those 6 fixtures without that distraction? 

Only taking our season average over those games would have seen us pick up 8 rather than 2. 

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes I do, we've thrown away 15+ points from conceding goals in the last 10 mins and most of those came without Vardy. Our away form this season is nearly relegation standard. 

Not great by any stretch, but we are 13th in the away table, so not relegation form 

It has been our Achilles heel this season when you consider our home form (31pts) is as good as Chelsea (31pt) and almost West Ham (32pt).

Beat Southampton, and we finish 7th in the home table. 

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not great by any stretch, but we are 13th in the away table, so not relegation form 

It has been our Achilles heel this season when you consider our home form (31pts) is as good as Chelsea (31pt) and almost West Ham (32pt).

Beat Southampton, and we finish 7th in the home table. 

Surprising stats.

It seems bizarre that we could finish 8th.   The season has at times been excruciating.   

It has been so frustrating how.we have been so far below our potential. 

Decent defending from corners would probably made it feel like a good season.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

Surprising stats.

It seems bizarre that we could finish 8th.   The season has at times been excruciating.   

It has been so frustrating how.we have been so far below our potential. 

Decent defending from corners would probably made it feel like a good season.

If we could do that and defended in injury time we would have 60-70pts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Nobody was more Puel out than me, I thought the football was terrible with very little success to go with it. I never said I could pick a better team than him, I didn't invent personality traits for him or conspiracy theories. 

I just thought he was a crap manager and his record kinda backs that up. Some people think Brendan's a crap manager and if that's their opinion based on what they've seen and not on what some know nothing on here has invented, fair enough. Personally I think his record is quite good. 

I'm not sure people see it as black and white as that. I certainly don't anyway. I see him as a manager that has a some very good qualities and some not so good qualities. I can honestly say that at the start of the season that if someone said that we finish 8th (which we could do) I wouldn't be too disappointed with it. It certainly does not tell anywhere near the whole story. The FA Cup and Europa League campaigns were incredibly disappointing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm not sure people see it as black and white as that. I certainly don't anyway. I see him as a manager that has a some very good qualities and some not so good qualities. I can honestly say that at the start of the season that if someone said that we finish 8th (which we could do) I wouldn't be too disappointed with it. It certainly does not tell anywhere near the whole story. The FA Cup and Europa League campaigns were incredibly disappointing. 

Agree - it is not black and white.  For me the position is less relevant - what I look at is how we perform week in week out - especially in games we should win (Everton, Newcastle, villa... and spurs from 90 mins).  In the games were we underperform I usually detect  a timid over cautions brand of football - 70% possession and 2 shots on goal - at home!  This approach will not lead to a bright future.  IMO Brendan has been OK but has taken us as far as he can - we need someone able to be more objective and less egotistical - who will recognise issues and fix them.

Yet my biggest worry with keeping Brendan on for too long is the way he discard's player.  Player are expensive to buy and to wage... when thery have  short  comings it is his jobs to fix them not banish them.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, majaco said:

I didn't know we'd set a record for turgid football.   

I think our football seems turgid when other teams are playing turgid fooball. We end up playing against turgidity by turdifying our football by passing side to side looking for gaps just outside the final turd.

If records are set towards turgid football, surely Wolves or Newcastle would be setting the records. Both teams bored us into submission..   Granted our submission seemed turded.

Top, top work!

:appl:

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

If we could do that and defended in injury time we would have 60-70pts

It sounds incredible, but it’s probably correct. 

We’ve conceded something like 16 goals from corners this season. Add in the other unforced errors we’ve made in defence. Add in the late capitulations, which were more down to mental strength than lack of ability - or anything the opposition did particularly well. 

A tidier (or composed) defence, just doing the basics right, could easily have got us another 15 points this season, which would have left us again comfortably in a Europa League place 

15 hours ago, Milo said:

tunnelled vision

Pretty much describes the Rodgers Out witch hunt.

The rest of your post is reasonable and I'd agree with that. Fair enough.

Edited by LaCiudad

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

There's a pay rise and then there's doubling your wages and increasing the contract from 2.5 years to 5.5 years. This pay rise occurred after we'd beaten Arsenal and they then sacked Emery and wanted Rodgers who publicly disclosed he had a release clause in his contract and the club panicked. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we were the best thing since Tangy Tom's at the time but it was still only about a third of the way through the season, he played a blinder did Brendan.

At the time I'd have given him whatever he wanted, I'd never seen a Leicester team play with such confidence, determination to score and ability to do it, especially at the top level.

I genuinely looked forwards to watching us on tv with mates so they could see how good we were.

Feels like a life time ago that does. I miss "we'll try and score from first whistle to last" Rodgers, he was the kind of man I could back through a poor run of form. This Rodgers is some gross Megson/Puel combo.

2 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

It sounds incredible, but it’s probably correct. 

We’ve conceded something like 16 goals from corners this season. Add in the other unforced errors we’ve made in defence. Add in the late capitulations, which were more down to mental strength than lack of ability - or anything the opposition did particularly well. 

A tidier (or composed) defence, just doing the basics right, could easily have got us another 15 points this season, which would have left us again comfortably in a Europa League place 

We have concede 58 goals, currently the 14th worse defence, if we could conceded 10 less next season 9th worse, conceded 15 less you are are in the top 6th defensively 

I think we have conceded 16 from corners, if we half that to 8 goals, you are over half way.  

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Ridiculous comment, if you’re not still learning you quickly become out of touch and get left behind.

Things change all the time, and every person in every job in the world regardless of pay should still be learning

Pep, Klopp and an other top manager in the world is still learning and still watching others’ losing games and learning from mistakes. To say anyone shouldn’t still be learning is very narrow minded.

Well he obviously isn't then is he ? the same mistakes time and time again and all for 10 million quid a year. for that kind of money then I expect very few mistakes.:dunno:

• Like 1

Literally using all my post likes on @Webbo in this thread. 

I agree with almost every word he’s said, reasoned and sensible analysis. 

Brendan very much in for me but sign a proper set piece coach please, without the set piece goals we’d have been right up there again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Phenom said:

Not necessarily. We’ve somehow overperformed our xG which tells you how awful our play has been.

Defending better always make it easier to get more points.

Out of the top 6

6 over performed on Xp for points 

6 of them over performed on Xa for goals against 

4 of the over performed on Xg for goals for. 

It called having better players, xG doesn't take into account the quality of player. It gives you to same Xg for a chance as Salah.

Do we need to play better of course, but that's not impossible 

Edited by coolhandfox

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We have concede 58 goals, currently the 14th worse defence, if we could conceded 10 less next season 9th worse, conceded 15 less you are are in the top 6th defensively 

I think we have conceded 16 from corners, if we half that to 8 goals, you are over half way.  

The commentary in the Chelsea game said that City had conceded the most goals from set pieces since the Premiership began

If true, this is a terrible stat

The goals conceded column is why we’ve not made Europe again this season. That bothers me big time. I’d have loved us to be back in Europe again.

49 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The commentary in the Chelsea game said that City had conceded the most goals from set pieces since the Premiership began

If true, this is a terrible stat

The goals conceded column is why we’ve not made Europe again this season. That bothers me big time. I’d have loved us to be back in Europe again.

This is what gets me, I don’t think we’ve been that bad to watch going forwards so don’t really get the complaints of negative football backwards passing etc. We’ve scored more goals than Man U and Arsenal. We just concede too many shit goals, and too many from set pieces.

• Like 3