Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I have my reservations about Brendan, however the table does not lie and over 38 games we have finished 8th, whilst some of the football has been slow and pedestrian, in reality had we fixed the set piece issues we would only be looking up the table and therefore realistically he has earned the right to lead us into next season, the only way I see him leaving this summer is if he is approached for another job, I cannot see the club sacking him at this point. 

I hope the club have learnt lessons from mistakes made in recent seasons and take back control of recruitment and that when they complete the debrief and review of this season that considerable focus is placed on our injury and set piece woes. If we can get this right this  pre-season and without the heavier workload of European football, there is no reason why we cannot release the shackles and go back to the high intensity style that serves us so well and really make a challenge to break back into the top 6/7 positions. 

I think it's too simplistic to say, "get better at defending set pieces and we'll be in Europe". Our play for most of the year was dire. xG puts us 15th in the table. There is a ton of room for improvement and we'll need it if Rodgers is too keep his job beyond next season.

Edited by Phenom
  • Like 4

What was everyone's reactions when we dropped to about 12th or 13th, or perhaps lower through the course of the season? 

I'm sure there were some that said 'top half finish and we're fine' or 'if he gets in to top half by end of the season he shouldn't be sacked'? Or something along those lines...? 

We've done that, and somewhat comfortably? 

This isn't me saying Rodgers should definitively stay and I'm no 'apologist' for him - I'm just tolerant of the circumstances. I'm not staunchly Rodgers out either. Not been pleasant to watch at times knowing the inevitability of conceding from a corner or playing overly cautious football. 

But the optimist in me thinks we'll change tact next season if he's still here. Perhaps we will see 'shackles off' and playing more freely at times... 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

We finished 8th with a terrible list of injuries. We've got some pretty decent youth coming through. How much of a rebuild do we really need? 

3-4 new players ideally but more importantly need about 8 gone.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tanya said:

Also this thread gets so hot the minute we lose a game, plenty of people just waiting to stick the boot in to, objectively, one of our most successful manages ever.

That's not to say I'm not apprehensive about the future. I'm not sure Brendan can turn it around. But I want him to. I am wishing him well. Some people (and not all Rodgers out people) don't want the gaffer to succeed. 

Well he sure makes it easy for his detractor's doesn't he?

3 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I have my reservations about Brendan, however the table does not lie and over 38 games we have finished 8th, whilst some of the football has been slow and pedestrian, in reality had we fixed the set piece issues we would only be looking up the table and therefore realistically he has earned the right to lead us into next season, the only way I see him leaving this summer is if he is approached for another job, I cannot see the club sacking him at this point. 

I hope the club have learnt lessons from mistakes made in recent seasons and take back control of recruitment and that when they complete the debrief and review of this season that considerable focus is placed on our injury and set piece woes. If we can get this right this  pre-season and without the heavier workload of European football, there is no reason why we cannot release the shackles and go back to the high intensity style that serves us so well and really make a challenge to break back into the top 6/7 positions. 

...you are asking the club to take away parts of his remit in order for you to feel safe with him (Rodgers) in the driving seat, does that make sense!!!

Do we now ask for a refund of a part of his salary when we do that!

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What did he specifically say in his post match interview? 

Interesting to see if its actually worth getting worked up over... 

He said were a bit frustrated sometimes but needed to recognize that 8th is our 4th highest  finish since 1946 (he must have done the research ready to shout it). He talked about having to compete with clubs with much bigger budgets (- yet back last August we can look at our squad and it compares with many teams with large budgets).

He went in to list  injuries, games and finances as having a bearing of the finishing position - all true... but...

He did not mention his own mistakes in recruitment, his discarding rather then fixing players, in possession obsessed football that stifles creativity and intensity, more set piece defending and of course his over cautious substitutions that transmit fear.  

• Like 1

Just now, foxinsocks said:

He said were a bit frustrated sometimes but needed to recognize that 8th is our 4th highest  finish since 1946 (he must have done the research ready to shout it). He talked about having to compete with clubs with much bigger budgets (- yet back last August we can look at our squad and it compares with many teams with large budgets).

He went in to list  injuries, games and finances as having a bearing of the finishing position - all true... but...

He did not mention his own mistakes in recruitment, his discarding rather then fixing players, in possession obsessed football that stifles creativity and intensity, more set piece defending and of course his over cautious substitutions that transmit fear.  

Any actual quotes? 

2 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

There is a very real reason the fans can't warm to BR and it doesn't matter what he achieves imo. 

His constant need to slyly put the club down in all of his interviews is utterly pathetic. 

I'm a Leicester fan, not a Rodgers fan and I wouldn't put up with his underhand comments from anyone let alone the clubs own manager. 

Everything this bloke says is all about upholding his personal brand. He's an egotistical Tosser and I'll never warm to him.  

as i said above i thought the interview was a sacking offence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Bloody hell - andi thought i got uptight. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I am doing it from memory - maybe some one can find it - it was an astonishing rant

'astonishing rant'. 

I'm doubtful but happy to wait for the quotes or video :D

2 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

defensive and he had pre-pepared his research... it was radio leicester - not sure if you can get it on catch up?

Pre prepared his research? Eh? 

So what if he did. Is it bad to know the history of the club you manage? 

Even if it was Radio Leic (the above I tweeted is from that?), there'd have to be a massive change in tone and attitude in the interview from what I've read/heard for it to become an astonishing rant. 

• Like 2