Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

He ought to have said " next season will be just as tough and we will have to battle for every point ". The PL is unrelenting , another tough , determined player like KDH will strengthen us considerably.

Just now, StanSP said:

I think it says more how disappointed we are that we've finished 8th. It's a compliment. We should be doing better. But the mitigating circumstances have to be considered. 

8th isn't a terrible finish behind the 'big 6' and West ham, who all have much bigger finances than we do but in some way it feels like an opportunity missed as United have been utterly dreadful this season and now they have Ten Hag, chances are they won't be as bad next season. I think it will become difficult to break the top 6 next season as other than maybe Arteta, they all have good managers now. United do have a lot of rebuilding to do though so could take a year or 2 before they start getting to a decent level. 

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

8th isn't a terrible finish behind the 'big 6' and West ham, who all have much bigger finances than we do but in some way it feels like an opportunity missed as United have been utterly dreadful this season and now they have Ten Hag, chances are they won't be as bad next season. I think it will become difficult to break the top 6 next season as other than maybe Arteta, they all have good managers now. United do have a lot of rebuilding to do though so could take a year or 2 before they start getting to a decent level. 

We say this every season though - X club won't be as bad next year. Fully fit we're better than United and Ten Hag won't fix that immediately as you point out.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

We say this every season though - X club won't be as bad next year. Fully fit we're better than United and Ten Hag won't fix that immediately as you point out.

True but they will no doubt sign 4 or 5 top class players in the summer to improve them. But yes, I think Arsenal and Man U are the most likely teams to be able to catch. As much as I hate to say it, I think spurs will keep getting better under Conte as he's a top manager  

We all get so precious when manager’s have a subtle dig at fans, but frankly I think we deserve it. 

I’ve been a fan of Leicester City for a long time and I can’t remember the fan base being as miserable and negative as it is currently. It doesn’t matter in here (on FT), but it carries over into the stadium and the response to the team has been apathetic at best. Gone are the days of the bouncing stadium from the Great Escape season when our atmosphere was praised everywhere. We shout at the manager and players for effort, but are we doing enough ourselves? 

There is always balance to every argument and Rodgers is a man who’s likely to walk off to another club as soon as a higher profile job offer comes along. So it’s difficult to feel sorry for him. He’s paid well and the expectation from him is rightly high. He’s not quite the genius he thinks he is and the tendency to “over manage” and make constant tactical tweaks is too prevalent. Bizarre or defensive substitutions is what usually results. He should concentrate on sorting out the basics. 

I’m a natural worrier and I can see an overhaul in the summer making us relegation candidates as much as I can see it making us European challengers. It feels like a crucial summer and we can’t get it as badly wrong as we did the last summer window. At the moment I’m happy for Rodgers to stay and oversee it, but if we’re going to support him and the players like we have this season - then he may as well go now and let us get someone in that we can hopefully all unite behind. 

If we’re demanding improvement from the manager then we need to back this up with a serious improvement in the support from the fans in the ground. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'd have taken the first part, not the Europa Conference Semi-Final. Absolutely no excuses for not getting out of our Europa League group. 

So you wouldn't have enjoyed us winning the Conference or seen that as a success?

22 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'd have taken the first part, not the Europa Conference Semi-Final. Absolutely no excuses for not getting out of our Europa League group. 

I agree to an extent but we've got a young an inexperienced side that during October/November time was ravaged by injuries.

Napoli, Warsaw and Moscow is undoubtedly as tough as it comes in the Europa League in terms of the kind of atmosphere we faced. It was comfortably the worst draw we could have got.

We were a 90th minute penalty from going through (undeservedly some would say) too.

The loss away to Warsaw was very bad as was the draw at home to Spartak.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So you wouldn't have enjoyed us winning the Conference or seen that as a success?

Of course I would have enjoyed it. In fact, the most enjoyable games this season were the conference league games. I just don't see a Europa Conference League semi-final as an argument which is favourable to the manager. I will give him 8th in the league given our issues, even if it doesn't tell the full story. 

Can I just address this interview thing - and only that.

Just watched the it and it was everything that I would expect of a manager.  In short, completely anodyne.

He didn't say much, didn't offend anyone (barring one in particular on here clearly), glossed over certain things (first goal) but that is what I would expect.

Would I want a manager that shoots from the hip? No. Neither would the club, and such managers tend to have short shelf lives.

Would I want a manager that slags of his own players? No.  

Would I want a manager that slags off an opponent's players? No.  I've never forgiven Klopp for the assassination of Choudary that virtually destroyed him.

Would I want a manager that slags off himself? No.

Yes a bit of self appraisal helps but all of these things should happen behind closed doors.  Let's leave the rest of it to the likes of Chris Sutton.

Don't let your personal thoughts turn everything into something all consuming.  I have to tell myself that several times a day regarding that oily oik Boris.  Now there's someone I could really get stuck into.

There. Just about the interview, not what's behind your comments. As promised.

• Like 3

Our squad has the best depth it ever has  over his three seasons here and we’ve finished the worst out of the three. Bring out ya Perezs, bring out ya Vestergaards, we’re goin’ up th’ table.

Seeing as he's clearly not going anywhere I sincerely hope he takes the next 6 weeks to:

• Tweak his philosophy and maybe be more open to letting the team score different types of goals (as we've done in the last 4)
  • Stop writing off the excellent work that club has done in building a quality squad for him that's worth much more than we paid for.
  • Accept that he does actually have a collection of very decent players.
  • Stop lying constantly.
  • Admit short comings and address them before people living in the rainforest are aware of it
  • Accept he's not an all round manager like Pearson and focuses on coaching the players he has and getting the best out of them
  • Stop playing players that are injured or are in very serious danger of picking up an injury
  • Develop a plan to blood some of the talented youngsters we have coming through the ranks - not just the ones that are the biggest physically
  • Hire people based on ability rather than if he's pals with them
  • Lose the notepad (optional)
  • Stop clapping so much (optional)

I think that's all for now haha

To his credit, this team hasn't given up on him and believe in him. He's a very good people person, I do wonder if it's to the detriment of success, he seems to be so likeable that he can probably get away with about anything. I'd go as far as to say that if his son was part of a racist orgy in Thailand, he'd probably get away with it and the son would be made a club ambassador :D

This is my last contriibution till July (unless something mad happens)

31 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Of course I would have enjoyed it. In fact, the most enjoyable games this season were the conference league games. I just don't see a Europa Conference League semi-final as an argument which is favourable to the manager. I will give him 8th in the league given our issues, even if it doesn't tell the full story. 

I think beating two good sides in Rennes and PSV is  pretty positive for a manager who doesn't have the best record in European knock out comps.

We have only won two European knockout ties in our history prior two this season Glenavon and Sevilla, so adding those two and Randers to that list is a positive.

The key to European group football is your home games, drawing two is what cost us, we should have beaten Moscow at home, dominated the game and missed a match winning penalty. 

Only really gripe I have is the team we put out at home to Napoli, when he didn't start Soyuncu, Vardy, Tielemans or Maddison. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Seeing as he's clearly not going anywhere I sincerely hope he takes the next 6 weeks to:

• Tweak his philosophy and maybe be more open to letting the team score different types of goals (as we've done in the last 4)
  • Stop writing off the excellent work that club has done in building a quality squad for him that's worth much more than we paid for.
  • Stop lying constantly.
  • Admit short comings and address them before people living in the rainforest are aware of it
  • Accept he's not an all round manager like Pearson and focuses on coaching the players he has and getting the best out of them
  • Stop playing players that are injured or are in very serious danger of picking up an injury
  • Develop a plan to blood some of the talented youngsters we have coming through the ranks - not just the ones that are the biggest physically

To his credit, this team hasn't given up on him and believe in him. He's a very good people person, I do wonder if it's to the detriment of success, he seems to be so likeable that he can probably get away with about anything. I'd go as far as to say that if his son was part of a racist orgy in Thailand, he'd probably get away with it and the son would be made a club ambassador :D

I’m interested in a couple of these.

1. “Accept he’s not an all round manager….”

I’ve felt for a while that he believes too much in his own genius. He’s clearly a good coach and a person players respond to, but I’m nervous that he doesn’t surround himself with the best people. Part of the ‘genius’ of Pearson was doin exactly that - and of Ranieri in noticing that and not changing it. 

2. “Stop lying constantly” 

Does he really do that? Not saying he doesn’t, but I’ve not noticed myself. Perhaps I’m one of Pearson’s Ostriches …. 

Just now, Jobyfox said:

I’m interested in a couple of these.

1. “Accept he’s not an all round manager….”

I’ve felt for a while that he believes too much in his own genius. He’s clearly a good coach and a person players respond to, but I’m nervous that he doesn’t surround himself with the best people. Part of the ‘genius’ of Pearson was doin exactly that - and of Ranieri in noticing that and not changing it. 

2. “Stop lying constantly” 

Does he really do that? Not saying he doesn’t, but I’ve not noticed myself. Perhaps I’m one of Pearson’s Ostriches …. 

Not lying per se - I may be exaggerating there.

His opinion on matters seem to change to fit the narrative he wants to portray :D

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Same Pearson, who had a 21% win percentage at Derby and was sacked, a 32% win percentage at OHL and was sacked, 31% win percentage at Derby and was sacked and currently a 27% win percentage at Bristol City.

He did a great job at City but has been very poor since leaving. 

Pearson is not a patch on Rodgers as a football coach - unfortunately that's been shown with his most recent jobs. He's someone who builds good teams on and off the pitch given time though. I'd trust him to help move the club forwards on and more importantly off the pitch if given time to do it.

Anyway, stop making me post :D

• Like 2

Just now, filbertway said:

Pearson is not a patch on Rodgers as a football coach - unfortunately that's been shown with his most recent jobs. He's someone who builds good teams on and off the pitch given time though. I'd trust him to help move the club forwards on and more importantly off the pitch if given time to do it.

Anyway, stop making me post :D

I always wondered what Pearson would be like as a DOF. 

I just think sometimes you get a coach who a prefect fit for a club at a certain time, Pearson was prefect match for us in that 2008-2015 period.

Easy to forget that he managed us for 282 games, which is 4th on our all time list. 

• Like 1

Rodgers should be supported.

Our Premier League season was poor.  FA Cup was poor,  We had one of our best seasons in Europe.

We didn't get enough points in the league.  Our squad should get a minimum of 60.   But Rodgers had to put up with a terrible injury crisis and we were o the wrong end of some poor decisions. On the other hand our record from set pieces was awful and that's on Rodgers.

if we don't improve next season, he should go.  But for now, he deserves to stay and have the chance to sort it out

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, filbertway said:

• Stop lying constantly.

We've seen evidence of this in spells this season. As you say, last 4 games we have mixed possession with more attacking, and for the Chelsea game yielded possession. I do think our barron spell around the Roma game was largely around player management, and in retrospect was a mistake. I would like to think with a more consistent squad, we would definitely mix the styles up a bit more.

I would actually like to see more consistency in team selection. When players came back, i think we over rotated.

I wish everyone would stop this. Look ahead, and learn from history. In retrospect, 8th cannot be classed a disaster (albeit i have found this season disappointing), and he deserves the right to justify that.

Agree. He does this when it suits him. I do however believe that we don't have the depth to challenge the top 4 AND be in a european competition. Too much emphasis has been made on a 'reset' or 'refresh'. This is something that should be happening anyway at a club like ours.

• Stop lying constantly.

Thats nonsense. I would like him to stop the management consulting bull***t, but this is his style. He's always done it, and i don't think he does more than many other managers. 

In football management, very unlikely to admit anything beyond the odd 'i take responsibility for this loss, but....' .  You are going to have to live with this, as you would if we had any other managing coming in.

You need to move on from Pearson. We just need to admit that a manager like Rodgers needs to work with the staff that will help him succeed. Rodgers also needs the management and hierarchy around him to challenge him, and i think we have seen evidence (recruitment, medicine) that this is happening.

See medicine in the previous point. Looking forward to next season where Covid is no longer the main excuse for injuries. Everyone is going to be getting a nice long break, which hasn't happened for a while.

We don't know there isn't, but this always has to be done when right for the individual. 

See 'management and hierarchy around him to challenge him' above.  

How else is he meant to order his take-away?

He should be provided a clapper

Edited by jamesp26