Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Dames said:

I was referring to the poster saying so we shouldn't be competing. I've always maintained we should be competing and have the squad to do much better than we have. Its Rodgers that has constantly downplayed expectations.

Its my opinion but we shouldn't be spending more than 5 million a year on a manager, any manager, not just Rodgers. A club like ours which usually operates in quite a savvy way should not be investing that amount into an asset that does not increase in/or maintain value. After watching us nearly go out of business it always annoys me to see the club make financial decisions based on sentimentality. We've had many bad runs under Rodgers, what if the next one doesn't turn around and we are in relegation trouble? We can't afford to pay him off then we're stuck, if we go down we are in dire financial trouble. Its very unlikely but we were not mathematically safe until matchday 35 this season.

Rodgers new contract was to fend off the interest of Arsenal and Spurs, at the time (6th of December) we were 2nd after 16 games on a record run of 8 wins on the spin. 

We have a wage bill of 192m (20/21), Rodgers wages amounts to 5.2%, not sure a reduction of the managers salary by half is make or break for us. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Rodgers new contract was to fend off the interest of Arsenal and Spurs, at the time (6th of December) we were 2nd after 16 games on a record run of 8 wins on the spin. 

We have a wage bill of 192m (20/21), Rodgers wages amount to 5.2%, not sure a reduction of the managers salary by half is make or break for us. 

How real was that interest though? because Spurs have changed managers twice and never came sniffing once and Arsenal from the sounds and looks of things were always intent on Arteta as they thought he was Pep Mk II.

That's still 5.2% we'd have to pay up potentially with any additional years left on so closer to 10-15% whereas most of the other high earners on the wage bill would bring money in if worst came to worst.

25 minutes ago, Dames said:

How real was that interest though? because Spurs have changed managers twice and never came sniffing once and Arsenal from the sounds and looks of things were always intent on Arteta as they thought he was Pep Mk II.

I assume the hierarchy at LCFC would have a better idea of that then me and you, we can only guess.

25 minutes ago, Dames said:

That's still 5.2% we'd have to pay up potentially with any additional years left on so closer to 10-15% whereas most of the other high earners on the wage bill would bring money in if worst came to worst.

Clubs generally don't pay up contract in full when sacking managers most go on garden leave and get play as normal. 

Not sure our two highest earns Vardy and Kasper are going to bring in much.

Just don't think it a big issue from a monetary point of view, the only argument would be whether you deem it value for money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

He said we had no right to be in the top 6, but then said he want to get back challenging for the top 6  next season.

What's wrong with that? 

So we should spend less on the most important football role in the club?

If we could get Diego Simeone or Roberto Mancini for 10m a year would you want us to employ them or spend less?

Or is it just because we are spend 10m on Rodgers? 

That's a good question in fairness. For me though personally, both those other managers, like them or want them or not, are at a much higher level than Rodgers and proven, therefore they're probably worth it. Their successes far outway a few Scottish 'one team' league achievements and a couple of 5th place Premiership finishes that should have been 4th twice. I doubt whether our team would have choked under Mancini or Simeone because their team selections, tactics and substitutions are likely to have been more astute. If either became available I'd suggest that a number of top clubs would be interested, whereas if Rodgers became available I doubt very much they would, I think he has too many question marks over him now and that ship has sailed. 

11 hours ago, hejammy said:

The thing is, he doesn't control that, the club offered him that and he took it, like with any other job/person - no one will say "no thank you can you pay me less please"

.....I would suspect if you were not actually present at that meeting, you would not know who offered what to whom!!!

Rodgers and his team could have asked to match Klopp's salary and Whelan and Rudkin negotiated the price down. We thought we could keep him from Arsenals clutches so we panicked and increased his salary. The amount of the increase seem disproportionate to the revenue of our club and sometimes it seems, despite being business men, we can be a tad naïve in our dealings.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I would suspect if you were not actually present at that meeting, you would not know who offered what to whom!!!

Rodgers and his team could have asked to match Klopp's salary and Whelan and Rudkin negotiated the price down. We thought we could keep him from Arsenals clutches so we panicked and increased his salary. The amount of the increase seem disproportionate to the revenue of our club and sometimes it seems, despite being business men, we can be a tad naïve in our dealings.

Well I wasn't at that meeting either but I feel I can tell you with some degree of confidence that the club will indeed have offered him the terms he accepted

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Current first choice team

Schmeichel signed by Sven

Castagne BR 

Evans Puel

Forfana BR

Pereira Puel

Ndidi Ranieri

Maddison Puel

Tielemans Puel

Vardy Pearson

Barnes Academy 

Lookman BR 

in three and a bit seasons he’s added three players to the first team - four if you prefer Justin to Ricardo 

Interesting reading that isn't it when yousee it written down. By inheriting Puel's squad I did of course mean when Puel had first arrived plus the apparent disquiet within the club at that time. There was also Slimani, Silva and Iborra to deal with amongst other things and, until Tielemans came at the end of his tenure, plus it was Maddison's first season at this level, he was struggling for an attacking midfielder throughout. Barnes and Chilwell came through also. Those 4 Puel signings were decent one's in fairness though and have served us well. In all, not a bad starting point for Rodgers to inherit compared with what Puel got.

When you look at that now, it does make you look at the recruitment success during Rodgers 3 years. I'm not suggesting that's all down to Rodgers but there's been some real blunders on the surface. Perez, Under, Bennett, Praet, Daka, Soumare, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ward, not many success stories amongst that lot is there, though I personally think Daka should come good but getting rid of Iheanacho with Vardy being our only other striker at the moment would be a bit rash imo. Of those players, some are bad buys/loans, some have arguably not been give enough of a chance or perhaps even been given unsuitable roles.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

. Those 4 Puel signings were decent one's in fairness though and have served us well. In all, not a bad starting point for Rodgers to inherit compared with what Puel got.

When you look at that now, it does make you look at the recruitment success during Rodgers 3 years. I'm not suggesting that's all down to Rodgers but there's been some real blunders on the surface. Perez, Under, Bennett, Praet, Daka, Soumare, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ward, not many success stories amongst that lot is there, though I personally think Daka should come good but getting rid of Iheanacho with Vardy being our only other striker at the moment would be a bit rash imo. 

I think you’ll find it was Puel that signed Ward for about £12 million . For context Puel also spent the best part of £30 million on Benkovic and Ghezzal so his buys weren’t all successful. No transfer is a guaranteed success but we have had our fair share of bad buys over the last few years - as well as some good ones - so we definitely need to spend wisely this summer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1969 said:

I think you’ll find it was Puel that signed Ward for about £12 million . For context Puel also spent the best part of £30 million on Benkovic and Ghezzal so his buys weren’t all successful. No transfer is a guaranteed success but we have had our fair share of bad buys over the last few years - as well as some good ones - so we definitely need to spend wisely this summer. 

Didn't he also sign Diabaté because his son played with him or some sort?

6 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Didn't he also sign Diabaté because his son played with him or some sort?

Yep!

Danny murphy: they have diabate now, so they should let mahrez go.....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Interesting and I know everyone is fed up of me highlighting the parallels from his time at Celtic but I went and checked the last side he fielded for us against Motherwell before he left to join Leicester later that week and the similarities are stark. Of the side that started 8 of the players were already at the club when he arrived, almost three years previous. The only signings of his that were in the side were, Jeremy Toljan (loan), Scott Sinclair and Odsonne Edouard.

Both of these examples are symbolic of his lack of success from a recruitment point of view at both clubs.

I am dreading this refresh …there is so much expectation out there that this holds the key to a brighter future but I don’t think it unfair to say BR had signed three up to the mark players in his time here …Forfana Castagne and Justin .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Interesting and I know everyone is fed up of me highlighting the parallels from his time at Celtic but I went and checked the last side he fielded for us against Motherwell before he left to join Leicester later that week and the similarities are stark. Of the side that started 8 of the players were already at the club when he arrived, almost three years previous. The only signings of his that were in the side were, Jeremy Toljan (loan), Scott Sinclair and Odsonne Edouard.

Both of these examples are symbolic of his lack of success from a recruitment point of view at both clubs.

It may not have been the case at Celtic but at Leicester until now how many of those players in the first choice 11 given by @smudgerfox that Rodgers didn’t bring in could we have realistically brought in a player that would have been an improvement and therefore resulted in them being in the first choice 11 instead of someone else already in it?

Obviously right wing but other than that?

Kasper, Ricardo, Evans, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

It may not have been the case at Celtic but at Leicester until now how many of those players in the first choice 11 given by @smudgerfox that Rodgers didn’t bring in could we have realistically brought in a player that would have been an improvement and therefore resulted in them being in the first choice 11 instead of someone else already in it?

Obviously right wing but other than that?

Kasper, Ricardo, Evans, Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy

If that's the case then why not change how you recruit? Instead of buying a shedload of players, for a lot of money, many of which you end up not even trusting to play, why not consolidate funds and sign less players, but for more money of a higer quality, ones that could replace the ones you mention. Essentially instead of signing 3-4 players who are obviously no better than what you currently have, consolidate the funds and sign 1 or two who are.

That aside that's why you pay a guy like Rodgers £10m a year, he should be able to work that out. 

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 3

How much does the manager actually decide all our signings in our recruitment model though? I’m not sure going through and saying “Ranieri signed player x, Puel and Rodgers signed players y and z” is actually how our club or virtually any modern top level football club works in reality.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

If that's the case then why not change how you recruit? Instead of buying a shedload of players, for a lot of money, many of which you end up not even trusting to play, why not consolidate funds and sign less players, but for more money of a higer quality, ones that could replace the ones you mention. Essentially instead of signing 3-4 players who are obviously no better than what you currently have, consolidate the funds and sign 1 or two who are.

That aside that's why you pay a guy like Rodgers £10m a year, he should be able to work that out. 

I agree, but the issue is attracting those players in the next bracket and probably breaking our wage structure. 

We could afford to buy a Diaz type player like Liverpool rather than buy a Daka and Soumare, but does a Diaz level player want to sign for Leicester. 

We have hit a bit of a glass ceiling on who we can attract.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I agree, but the issue is attracting those players in the next bracket and probably breaking our wage structure. 

We could afford to buy a Diaz type player like Liverpool rather than buy a Daka and Soumare, but does a Diaz level player want to sign for Leicester. 

We have hit a bit of a glass ceiling on who we can attract.

Most clubs have a glass ceiling in who they can attract bar a handful in world football. I'm not suggesting competing with sides like Liverpool for players, that's just not going to happen.

There are however a myriad of players in between guys like Diaz and Vestegaard for example you could attract. Tielemans for example was £40m at the time am I right, an international at one of the top 3 international sides in the world. Leicester are very much an attractive enough draw to be able to sign quality players that should improve the squad.

Bowen

Guimaraes

Gvardiol

Zakaria

The above are just a few off the top of my head who were pretty modest fees that would have been attainable that have moved in recent times. There's tons more if I went off and looked into it.

There's been a clear shift in the transfer model of the club in the last couple of years from a hugely successful model that signed guys such as the above to overpriced EPL jobbers.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Most clubs have a glass ceiling in who they can attract bar a handful in world football. I'm not suggesting competing with sides like Liverpool for players, that's just not going to happen.

There are however a myriad of players in between guys like Diaz and Vestegaard for example you could attract. Tielemans for example was £40m at the time am I right, an international at one of the top 3 international sides in the world. Leicester are very much an attractive enough draw to be able to sign quality players that should improve the squad.

Bowen

Guimaraes

Gvardiol

Zakaria

The above are just a few off the top of my head who were pretty modest fees that would have been attainable that have moved in recent times. There's tons more if I went off and looked into it.

There's been a clear shift in the transfer model of the club in the last couple of years from a hugely successful model that signed guys such as the above to overpriced EPL jobbers.

Agree with all that, particularly the last bit in the shape of Perez, Bennett, Bertrand and Vestergaard. The worry is with the latter is that they were all very exposed in regards of what they were capable of achieving in the Premiership  ... yet we nevertheless still went ahead! All supposedly links to Rodgers one way or another beforehand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That would be nice to do if we already had the squad depth in place to get away with only bringing in 1 or 2 players every summer

Summer 2019 and Summer 2020 he did that though and spent big on the areas needed

But going into last summer we would not have been able to get away with signing 1 or 2 players when we had big holes all over the pitch due to long term injury issues, players wanting to leave, and possibly even questions around your star striker

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

How much does the manager actually decide all our signings in our recruitment model though? I’m not sure going through and saying “Ranieri signed player x, Puel and Rodgers signed players y and z” is actually how our club or virtually any modern top level football club works in reality.

What is clear though is at both Celtic and Leicester Rodgers inherited a damn site better set of players than the ones signed whilst him and Congerton were there. Is it a coincidence? I know Macia did very well here by those who worked closely with him but we are supposed to have a tried and tested model that is bigger than any one individual. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Bowen

Guimaraes

Gvardiol

Zakaria

I'm just praying @Ric Flair is right and that we're going back to that, because we're in serious danger of the Rodgers era being the start of a downward trajectory for the club for the first time in nearly a decade.

It looks like the club are going back to their blueprint though, which means we should be able to continue to punch above our theoretical weight. Not purely because of Brendan, but because the club have been operating above the level of our rivals.