Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, shiv said:

Agree with this. In all fairness to Rodgers, after 2 top 5 finishes he hasn’t needed to improve the starting XI. My take is we needed more depth after the second attempt as well as PL experience - which is why Bertrand and Vestergaard were signed. Soumare and Daka on paper should have been challenging for a starting spot too.

The real test is this summer to see who we bring in.

And that there is the absolute nub of the issue and for what it's worth is also grossly incorrect. That's the exact reason Leicester and West Ham have fallen out of that top 6 this season because the starting XI wasn't improved. Conversely Spurs and Arsenal did improve their starting XI and have stole those positions as a result. At the top end of the EPL clubs improve their starting IX year on year and if you want to stay there that's what you constantly have to do. You can't stand still in what is the best and most competitive league in the world and that's exactly what Leicester done last season in simply bloating out the squad and not improving the starting XI.

I'd love to see an example of a club in the premier league where they have went out and bought a bunch of squad fillers and it's actually worked, I don't think there is one. Liverpool and Spurs the most high profile examples of this failure with the Suarez and Bale money. Liverpool learned their lesson and never done the same with the Coutinho money and bought VVD and Allison instead and the results are plain for all to see.

The key way to improve the squad is by window by window replacing 1 or two first picks with better players, otherwise you just land in the postion Leicester are now, with deadwood you can't trust. When your a club like Leicester a large part of this is also knowing when to sell assets, ideally you do this at the right time as it allows you to bridge the gap in terms of sides around you who have far greater spending power. I think there has also been a failing here in terms of 1 or 2 players who could and should have been sold at their peak value and that would've provided more funds to freshen things up. The horse has very much bolted with some of these players and the perfect negative storm has been arrived at where some players have run their contracts down, their form has fallen through the floor and as a result their value is lucky to be one third of what it was 12-18 months ago.

I said it last summer that if Tielemans wasn't signing a new contract then he should have been sold to the highest bidder. I know it's not as black and white as I'm making it out as you need concrete bids and the transfer market was subdued due to covid and other things last summer but the club and manager need to be brave enough to sell top players when their value is at it's highest and Tielemans was definitely in this boat.

There's a staleness about the club and some players now and this summer feels like it could be a transitional one which is always something you want to avoid if you plan correctly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

I’ve always said that if you sign a couple of starters, that improves your squad much more than signing 4 squad players. This is because your old starters then become the squad players, which are stronger than the 4 average players you bring in. It is also drives competition due to the old starters wanting to fight to get back in the team. Not only that, it would be better on the wage budget to sign 2 players on 90k a week, than 4 on 50k, along with less signing on and agents fees.

Nail on head.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This whole "squad depth" thing is an absolute myth in all honesty. The players signed to allegedly add depth Rodgers doesn't trust, barely play and often he favours shoe horning players out of position who he does trust instead.

...do you believe he is doing this to make a point, or is it an issue with the way he seeks to manage!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...do you believe he is doing this to make a point, or is it an issue with the way he seeks to manage!!!

I think it's the latter, I think he's just crap at recruitment but he's not self aware enough to realise it and wants his own way. He never seems to learn from his failings in the transfer market.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2022 at 12:54, wattolcfc said:

I’ve always said that if you sign a couple of starters, that improves your squad much more than signing 4 squad players. This is because your old starters then become the squad players, which are stronger than the 4 average players you bring in. It is also drives competition due to the old starters wanting to fight to get back in the team. Not only that, it would be better on the wage budget to sign 2 players on 90k a week, than 4 on 50k, along with less signing on and agents fees.

If you could please try to astral project your thoughts in Bren’s brain I’d appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

If you could please try to astral project your thoughts in Bren’s brain I’d appreciate it.

I reckon these last posts show how pundits love to assume,then try & make facts out of their presumptions....

Hence how false agendas are built over months & years...

I want an arrogant stubborn manager,I like Rodgers because he has better hindsight, than this forum. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes,but also ditto for

Pep, & Klopp,Beckenbauer..etc

We ain't good assessors or open to flexability because we are football fan forum posters..We all want it how only we see it..Perspective we refuse to recognise..Most importantly we are not

Savvy to the whole character,need,twists & turns that the daily,weekly ,season,periods,decisions

or issues come & crop up over the owners + managers table  ,off-pitch, or training ground ..

So let's make up stories over someones

Character,from the distance of the terraces...And they try then to prove & back up their statements with more base assumptions, built upon their right to an opinion...Forgetting an opinion is just that, but not fact..

ITKs people also only know the moods around the circumference of the club & it's issues...

On 27/05/2022 at 00:31, shiv said:

Agree with this. In all fairness to Rodgers, after 2 top 5 finishes he hasn’t needed to improve the starting XI. My take is we needed more depth after the second attempt as well as PL experience - which is why Bertrand and Vestergaard were signed. Soumare and Daka on paper should have been challenging for a starting spot too.

The real test is this summer to see who we bring in.

It’s the PL - if you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I tried but there was no room for more thoughts, it was just filled with teeth whitening and David Brent quotes.

1 hour ago, wattolcfc said:

I tried but there was no room for more thoughts, it was just filled with teeth whitening and David Brent quotes.

I would have thought it'd be fully of overpriced and mediocre footballer he's ready and willing to turn into overpriced and mediocre and unused squad players here. The man must be a encyclopedia of unappealing transfer targets. You'd need to wield ungodly powers to get an additional thought in that mind.

On 27/05/2022 at 11:47, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think it's the latter, I think he's just crap at recruitment but he's not self aware enough to realise it and wants his own way. He never seems to learn from his failings in the transfer market.

With the delay in Martyn Glover coming in Let’s hope the Club is listening more to the recruitment team regarding player attributes than Brendan.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2022 at 11:47, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I am pondering this. I think it is true.

Worse  a manager who is poor at assessing the potential of players may be quick to right off players that could be improved and may persist with attempting to improve players who should be set aside.  Do we see that?  Yep.

To be sucessful a manager require private humility and I fight so they surround themselves with characters who can compensate for weaknesses.  Yet, I dont see brendans doing that.  Too many yes men.

On 26/05/2022 at 17:42, coolhandfox said:

I was going on general foxestalk consensus.

I'd agree with you on all 3, I think Praet and Iborra were underused.

Perez get battered because he's price but his play a 100 games and contributed 

PL ONLY

72 games 25 as sub 12 goals (3 in one game) 8 assists 

for a forward that s lamentable 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

PL ONLY

Yeah there’s no debate when it comes to Perez. His numbers are poor but you only have to watch him to see he’s not up to the required level.

19 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

PL ONLY

Doesn’t play as a forward though, more right sided who is expected to track back and support the full back, that’s not a forwards role. I am not for one second suggesting he has been a roaring success but let’s not pretend he has been played up front.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

What is the quote: “There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”

Breaking that down those 72 games into actually playing time, which is 3790 minutes which equate to 41.7 full games which give a better view of those stats, so a goal every 330 minutes (1 in 3.4 games) or including assists a goal contribution every 189.5 minutes, which nearly 1 in every two games. 

His no world beater but not as bad as some make out, do we need better of course, but his a decent squad player in my view. 

I actually think he plays really well when he comes off the bench, think everyone’s more tired so the games actually played at his pace. But think of the psv game were he was immense for 20 mins or so. I can understand why people want rid, and we could probably do with the money. But worst case he’s not a bad bench option. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Doesn’t play as a forward though, more right sided who is expected to track back and support the full back, that’s not a forwards role. I am not for one second suggesting he has been a roaring success but let’s not pretend he has been played up front.

He might not play up front but he is a forward and for us he's either play on the right wing or in the 10 role, both positions with his perceived instinct for goals has seen a pretty poor return and especially given he came here having averaged about 10+ PL goals a season from a similar position and we paid through the nose for him.

His 12 goals in the PL across 3 seasons have only come in 8 games as well which makes his output on a regular basis even worse.

He's had a better season this season when called upon from a creative perspective than 2020/21 where he was absolutely atrocious. With 5 subs next season I can see him getting more involved if we don't get an offer for him.

54 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

PL ONLY

One is absolutely loved, and the other absolutely hated. played predominately the same position throughout.

image.png.381a587ecfac8b70201926a4371419b6.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

One is absolutely loved, and the other absolutely hated. played predominately the same position throughout.

Yea if someone gave me a free car and my Mrs paid £30,000 for one but they gave me the same performance.  I know which one I'd moan about .😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

Marc Albrighton is not loved for very long when he has a regular run of games for us. Neither are good enough in a Brendan Rodgers team, his wingers have to score and assist 10-15 a season every year minimum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

What is the quote: “There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”

Breaking that down those 72 games into actually playing time, which is 3790 minutes which equate to 41.7 full games which give a better view of those stats, so a goal every 330 minutes (1 in 3.4 games) or including assists a goal contribution every 189.5 minutes, which nearly 1 in every two games. 

His no world beater but not as bad as some make out, do we need better of course, but his a decent squad player in my view. 

I don’t blame him for one minute …he made his name as a 10 behind Rondon we’ve just never played him in that position. Which is becoming a bit of a habit - see Soumare, Ihenacho, Choudhury - all players who never play in a system which suits them - which begs the question why did we sign them/ keep them in the first place? 

• Like 3