Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

I don’t blame him for one minute …he made his name as a 10 behind Rondon we’ve just never played him in that position. Which is becoming a bit of a habit - see Soumare, Ihenacho, Choudhury - all players who never play in a system which suits them - which begs the question why did we sign them/ keep them in the first place? 

Perez played 18 games at RW for Newcastle in the 18/19 PL season, scoring 8 goals in the process, the season before we brought him, which explains the why. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ayoze-perez/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/246968/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/12

Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't just used as a number 10 at Newcastle. He was seen as someone who could play across all the forward positions.

Postion  Games  Goal  Assist
Second Striker 52 12 6
Centre-Forward 32 7 1
Right Winger 27 10 1
Left Winger 21 1  
Attacking Midfield 3 3  

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

I don’t blame him for one minute …he made his name as a 10 behind Rondon we’ve just never played him in that position. Which is becoming a bit of a habit - see Soumare, Ihenacho, Choudhury - all players who never play in a system which suits them - which begs the question why did we sign them/ keep them in the first place? 

Well Brendan only signed Soumare and Perez. 

I’m afraid Soumare looks poor at the moment and I’m not sure what position you’re suggesting will improve him. He’s not got the physical presence of Ndidi, the passing ability of Youri, the energy of KDH or the creative ability of Maddison.

Perez has been given ample opportunity in a number of positions. He’s just lacked consistency in all of them.

Choudhury is another who has had ample opportunity in a number of positions. Ironically he’s made his biggest contributions when he’s been played out of position (CB/FB). 

Iheanacho is probably the one that looks like he should play in a two. He thrived when Vardy was running off him. He wasn’t signed by Brendan and to fit into BR’s system of one up front but, I agree, we should look to use him more effectively.

To the question of why should keep them? Well, we arguably shouldn’t 

Edited by Jobyfox

Guest Col city fan

Completely hypothetical question. I think we’ll do better next season. We’ll have a stronger squad hopefully.

BUT if we do start badly, do you think the owners will stick with Rodgers much longer? And how long for?

Purely hypothetically 

37 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Perez played 18 games at RW for Newcastle in the 18/19 PL season, scoring 8 goals in the process, the season before we brought him, which explains the why. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ayoze-perez/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/246968/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//trainer_id/0/pos/12

Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't just used as a number 10 at Newcastle. He was seen as someone who could play across all the forward positions.

Second Striker 52 12 6
Centre-Forward 32 7 1
Right Winger 27 10 1
Left Winger 21 1  
Attacking Midfield 3 3  

Putting aside the definition of “winger”, Perez has clearly never been and never will be a winger in the common understanding of the term, logically we should ask why Perez HASN’T been more of a success given that he HAS apparently been playing in his best position (loosely)? 

The debate always seems to be : “ is x player any good, or not? “ All I’m trying to do is ask a more fundamental question - how come we sign the likes of Perez, Soumare, Vestergaard, Bertrand - who then offer so little? With a refresh coming up that’s an important question… 

• Like 1

The thing is we finished the season strongly, yes against poor opposition bar Chelsea. Winning 4 of our last 5 games. Had we finished bottom half and say only picked up 5 points from the last 5 games and finished bottom half they’d be more questions. Finishing strongly and getting 8th will rightly or wrongly see him get at least till Xmas. 

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Completely hypothetical question. I think we’ll do better next season. We’ll have a stronger squad hopefully.

BUT if we do start badly, do you think the owners will stick with Rodgers much longer? And how long for?

Purely hypothetically 

I think that depends how much he does splash the cash this summer

I do feel he’s given himself absolutely nowhere to hide after all his ‘excuses’ this season 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

For me it’s extremely simple - Perez does not make our starting 11.

He’s got one year left on his contract - if we can get any money for him, it’s a no brainer.

We also have too many players for the 25 man squad as it stands so it could be as simple as Perez’s fee pays towards Lookman (Corner preferably) and takes his place in the squad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Second Striker 52 12 6
Centre-Forward 32 7 1
Right Winger 27 10 1
Left Winger 21 1  
Attacking Midfield 3 3  

He still only had one half decent season in four for them though. Not enough to justify the huge 30m fee involved. A Rodgers vanity project? Flogged to death unsuccessfully on the right to try and justify it? Quite a few other players haven't been given the luxury in terms of regular appearances to try and prove themselves as he has. The amount of chances he's had he was bound to have the odd spark of something good for people to cling onto but overall a complete disappointment. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He still only had one half decent season in four for them though. Not enough to justify the huge 30m fee involved. A Rodgers vanity project? Flogged to death unsuccessfully on the right to try and justify it? Quite a few other players haven't been given the luxury in terms of regular appearances to try and prove themselves as he has. The amount of chances he's had he was bound to have the odd spark of something good for people to cling onto but overall a complete disappointment. 

Perez was brought in for a specific role, he was the Okazaki, the hard worker in the forward line. To call it Brendan’s vanity project is a little odd.

Rodgers had a clear way he wanted us to set up, and the different roles he needed every player to play. Much like 15/16 we didn’t have the best player in the league in every position, but we had a player who knew their role in every position. This, with Perez doing his role took us to the brink of the top 4 twice.

In 15/16 we didn’t really have too many injuries, a season break and were able to keep going. The two years under Brendan, when we didn’t have the right player in the right role, things fell apart a bit. 

2 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Albrighton > Perez everyday of the week.

As much as I think Perez is a pile of garbage, I still prefer him over Albrighton. There's a reason Albrighton hasn't been a regular starter for nearly 4 years now. He isn't very good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Koke said:

As much as I think Perez is a pile of garbage, I still prefer him over Albrighton. There's a reason Albrighton hasn't been a regular starter for nearly 4 years now. He isn't very good.

...he keeps getting written off, but comes back to secure his position!!!

I can see him becoming part of Rodgers entourage, hopefully he becomes the one person who tells Rodgers he has got it wrong and can persuade him to take a look again at his strategy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he keeps getting written off, but comes back to secure his position!!!

I can see him becoming part of Rodgers entourage, hopefully he becomes the one person who tells Rodgers he has got it wrong and can persuade him to take a look again at his strategy. 

If BR plugged perez with extra batteries every 15 minutes he'd be a game charger.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Koke said:

Well, that and he's had not only Perez but Harvey Barnes playing in his position. A player who can seemingly run to the edge of the box cut inside and unleash a wildly inaccurate blast an infinite number of times and still be surprised at how badly it turns out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Top talking about fighting for trophies and European football next season. 

Hasn't Brendan told him that we're shit and that he should be happy with mid table? 

It’s clear that’s Rodgers’ remit isn’t it this coming season. 

Also a probable reminder to Rodgers that a lot of his comments last season were of him getting above himself 

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Top talking about fighting for trophies and European football next season. 

Hasn't Brendan told him that we're shit and that he should be happy with mid table? 

I do think this season coming is last chance saloon for Brendan, I don’t think he is a bad manager but I do feel as though he got ahead of himself last season with the rumours of Manchester United etc he put the club’s image down and that wasn’t acceptable.

It’s imperative we get of to a good start otherwise I don’t think Top will be that patient with him.

• Like 2

Just now, Happy Fox said:

I do think this season coming is last chance saloon for Brendan, I don’t think he is a bad manager but I do feel as though he got ahead of himself last season with the rumours of Manchester United etc he put the club’s image down and that wasn’t acceptable.

It’s imperative we get of to a good start otherwise I don’t think Top will be that patient with him.

Well after a season of Brendan telling the media we just scraped by before he arrived and we're fortunate to be where we are, I find it telling that Top has made some pointed comments about being in the running for trophies and qualifying for Europe. 

I think the rhetoric that he's been spinning has been noticed and not in a positive way. 

• Like 2

Just now, foxile5 said:

Well after a season of Brendan telling the media we just scraped by before he arrived and we're fortunate to be where we are, I find it telling that Top has made some pointed comments about being in the running for trophies and qualifying for Europe. 

I think the rhetoric that he's been spinning has been noticed and not in a positive way. 

Most definitely, I think Brendan’s on thin ice it’s clear as daylight we underachieved last season, this season we have to get it right. As far as summer window goes I doubt Top will give him the funds for a rebuild, we will probably use the money we got from Europe and league finish as a base budget for transfers and any sales to increase the kitty, so yes let’s hope the players we bring in our up for the task.

But yes definitely I doubt Top will be very patient with Brendan if we are floundering next season, we need a good season.

• Like 1

Top is a businessman and wouldn’t come out when trying to attract players to our club with Rodgers rhetoric about us “just being happy to be in the Prem” though would he?

I’m oddly optimistic about this transfer window even as someone who has very little faith in Rodgers.

Call it blind optimism but fingers crossed we make a couple of signings that improve our starting 11.

• Like 1