Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, murphy said:

It still stings, even now, for me.  Mainly because chance to qualify for The CL for a club like ours is practically unheard of and we blew it.  Twice.  It would also have had a massive impact on the quality of player we could have attracted instead of the woeful summer window of last year.  

That said I take some solace from watching West Ham spend the majority of the season  in fourth and end up seventh.  Perhaps it is almost impossible for clubs without the depth of squads of the big six to sustain top four quality over the course of a season?  Especially with European commitments. 

We did it once of course but miracles are only called miracles because they are extremely rare.  Plus we had virtually no injuries that season.

Knowing that Manchester United and Chelsea were slumming it with bottom tier managers for the majority of those seasons and looking at the games we dropped points in when 2 or 3 would have secured CL football in its impossible to not conclude we blew it completely. West Hams situation wasn't so clear cut. We had two amazing chances and didn't take them. Time to move on knowing we will never get a better one. Really annoying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

No he isn’t but he seems knowledgable to me. He actually went through the BR/LC recruitment in one post and there were similar patterns - new signings who made little impact to the point you wondered why they were signed in the first place. A team which relied heavily on players he inherited. Some of the performances in Europe were familiar - heavy capitulations, inability to break down determinedly defensive and essentially poor opponents. Add in the poor defensive record of BRs  Liverpool team who threw away the PL in the last throes of the season and you do have some striking similarities. The facts are there if you bother to  look for them. 

Fella it's football,like all sport we hams of humans are fickle & fallable more

so those who chase stats to try & prove a totally irrelevant character assasination...Life is too short for this crap.I am sorry...every career path has its wobbles, and outside irrelevant judgements..

I enjoy the game, not those monsters that lurk in those scary corners that help to feed agendas over all those individual managers & players....

Ditto for FT fans, & media running around with a self-opinionated broom swishing into those dark corners..

What's his one quip that drives you up the wall?

Mine's got to be anything that he finishes with " in the game "

" we had that physicality in the game "

" we didn't move the ball quick enough in the game "

AAAARRRGGGHHHH

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

It still stings, even now, for me.  Mainly because chance to qualify for The CL for a club like ours is practically unheard of and we blew it.  Twice.  It would also have had a massive impact on the quality of player we could have attracted instead of the woeful summer window of last year.  

That said I take some solace from watching West Ham spend the majority of the season  in fourth and end up seventh.  Perhaps it is almost impossible for clubs without the depth of squads of the big six to sustain top four quality over the course of a season?  Especially with European commitments. 

We did it once of course but miracles are only called miracles because they are extremely rare.  Plus we had virtually no injuries that season.

Proves how fans underate those every single weekly moments, through ALL the 38 games,prove the chasm are larger than anticipated

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What's his one quip that drives you up the wall?

Mine's got to be anything that he finishes with " in the game "

" we had that physicality in the game "

" we didn't move the ball quick enough in the game "

AAAARRRGGGHHHH

His expressions/sayings are the worst. ‘Top top’ 

‘wonderful technician’ 

🤢

• Like 1

The FA cup win more than softened the blow of missing out on the top 4 although it still hurt a little. But last season it just didn't seem to click, yes 8th is a good finish considering injures but the performances over all were shocking throughout most of the season which is why I was slating him a lot of the time. 

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I think the first one we blew - our form was poor from January - losing to Norwich was an abysmal result. Soyuncu’s form fell away a lot, but when it looked like we were turning things round after the big win vs Villa, Covid arrived. We just didn’t really get going in the restart - even if we’d beat Bournemouth, I think Man U would have still pipped us. Rodgers mindset changed to becoming more defensive and protecting what we had, as shown by the tactics vs Brighton. 

We were very lucky to be where we were 2nd time around, so I don’t think we blew it. Injuries just became too much for us in the end - losing Evans, and then Fofana was too much for us to handle. Add in Justin’s injury as well, that’s 3 quarters of our defence and Maddison’s form deserted him after injury as well. Somehow, Ihenacho’s Messi-esque run almost got us there. That said, if either Evans or Fofana had been fit for the full match vs Spurs and/or Evans hadn’t pulled up in the warm-up vs Newcastle, I think we would have made CL. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

21 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

He also won every domestic trophy he was in for at Celtic. Why doesn't that factor into the equation here?

I scored 20+ goals a season in the Sunday Alliance Div3, why am I not compared to Jamie Vardy? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

While we are raking over the painful end of season capitulations, we do have to give credit to Rogers for lifting us from an 8th/9th place team under Puel to a team breaking into the top six twice.

Won the fa cup as well, I have been on the edge and understand why people don’t feel he is the man to move us forward. The football has been terrible this season until those last few games. At the same time you have to remember we have had so so many injuries, way more than usual, so when those cleared up we did improve. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, murphy said:

While we are raking over the painful end of season capitulations, we do have to give credit to Rogers for lifting us from an 8th/9th place team under Puel to a team breaking into the top six twice.

I’ve never been happier about throwing away a nearly guaranteed Champions league place. I was happy when he achieved that the first time. The second time, I was embarrassed that such a small club could be again gifted with such opulence. Some people concentrate on the collapse. But I concentrate on the initial great form that allowed the collapse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Or maybe media interviews are just a box ticking exercise and you shouldn't look into it too much... Unless it suits your narrative

We all knew big nige was a dick to the media and seemed insufferable and arrogant ect, yet in real life he's an absolute great guy. 

What you see in the media isnt the real person

Which I totally get but did NP have a big portrait of himself in his front room?

I honestly think Rodgers is def similar to his media version.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Which I totally get but did NP have a big portrait of himself in his front room?

I honestly think Rodgers is def similar to his media version.

If you're going to make stuff up, at least go all out saying Brendan stamps on babies. Not just waffle on about your own assumptions.

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

It was a painting that was gifted to him by the disabled fans of the Swansea Supporters Club after his contributions to the charity

It was also nearly 10 years ago

BuT tHaT dOeSnT sUiT mY aRgUmEnT

• Haha 2

Just now, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

If you're going to make stuff up, at least go all out saying Brendan stamps on babies. Not just waffle on about your own assumptions.

BuT tHaT dOeSnT sUiT mY aRgUmEnT

Come on now the portrait was a tongue in cheek joke.

I don’t think it’s that hard to envision that like all successful managers that he doesn’t have an ego yet you played him down as some modest Larry.

Ok, let’s stick with your theory that on a personal level he’s a lovely, humble person.

I will never once doubt Rodger’s personality trait ever again because only crazy pEoPlE TyPe LiKe ThIs 😂

• Haha 1

I'm enjoying the revisionism.

We didn't have two half season collapses, throwing away Champions League places, twice

We achieved fifth place, twice!

We didn't limp out of three completely forgettable European campaigns

We had three European campaigns!

We didn't fail to qualify for the CL, then fail to qualify for the European second tier despite being favourites, and subsequently fail in the third tier

We were in a European semi final!

We didn't just beat Man City's academy

We won silverware this season!

At least we can all agree we won the FA cup. That was good.

Edited by Foxxed
I forgot the European semi
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm enjoying the revisionism.

We didn't have two half season collapses, throwing away Champions League places, twice

We achieved fifth place, twice!

We didn't limp out of three completely forgettable European campaigns

We had three European campaigns!

We didn't fail to qualify for the CL, then fail to qualify for the European second tier despite being favourites, and subsequently fail in the third tier

We were in a European semi final!

We didn't just beat Man City's academy

We won silverware this season!

At least we can all agree we won the FA cup. That was good.

Perhaps you could  give me a long list of other seasons when we achieved any of those things?

I like the FA Cup as a begrudging afterthought btw, like it's nothing.

17 hours ago, murphy said:

Perhaps you could  give me a long list of other seasons when we achieved any of those things?

I like the FA Cup as a begrudging afterthought btw, like it's nothing.

It's not that we didn't do them.

It's that they're seen as achievements, rather than let downs.

Were you over the moon when we collapsed so completely that we missed out on a Champions League spot that most thought we'd get after throwing away a massive, massive points lead?

The only reason we finished fifth was because there weren't any more team we could lose to.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 2