Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

58 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I've been Rodgers out since the forest game, but what's the point in it if he isn't going anywhere? He is obviously going to be here next season, so I'm willing to wipe the slate clean for the sake of my own happiness. I want to enjoy my summer and look forward to next season, so I will offer Rodgers my full support until I realise he has made a right cock up with the summer transfer window, but I'm genuinely hoping that he gets it right. Onwards and upwards, bring on 2022/23!

I'm sure most LCFC fans were Rodgers out at some point last season; I was the same walking out of the City Ground after Forest scored the 4th. 

But on reflection, he's not going anywhere, and the good outweighs the bad for me at the moment. 

But he needs to address our style of play, set-pieces (defending in general), injury issues and have good summer recruitment wise to keep me on board for another season.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smudgerfox said:

Castagne once said the players were annoyed to be (quiteluckily as it turns out ) 2/0 up against Palace and instructed to sit on the lead  - we ended up drawing 2-2 

Two be fair we were shocking all game even at 2-0 

Edited by coolhandfox

4 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Castagne once said the players were annoyed to be (quiteluckily as it turns out ) 2/0 up against Palace and instructed to sit on the lead  - we ended up drawing 2-2 

....it is an inherent flaw with the way he chooses to manage!!!

Fear seems to determine what he does, unfortunately he transmits this to his players, and if they are not happy with what is being asked of them, they are going to approach the game differently. Positivity inevitably goes out the window.

15 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Two be fair we were shocking all game even at 2-0 

As I said “quite luckily” 

Actually a feature of BR teams - certainly with us - is the “two half performance “ - poor first half , better in the second or vice versa….

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I agree that having a winning mentality is a complex, multi-faceted thing. I think some people seem to be born with ‘charisma’… that special something that makes people want to work hard for them, but you can’t put your finger on what ‘it’ is… 

I would say that this must stem from the manager. Because if it doesn’t, there’s not much point having a manager!

The top managers seem to have that ‘thing’ about them… and it’s not always about complex tactics. Brian Clough was a fantastic example of this. There’s plenty of archive footage where his players made it clear that everything was kept completely simple. Eg free kicks—- shoot, corners—- get it in the box, keep it on the floor (if God wanted us to play football in the air he’d have put grass on clouds…) 😊

What he did have was charisma… to win the top division you have to be: ‘a little bit mad, lucky, and have great players’..

The players didn’t see him every day, but when they did see him, he was revered. 
Pep must be similar I think. And definitely Klopp. They have that special ‘something’ that makes them ‘the best’.

Rodgers I think comes into the next category down. He’s respected, the players like him… but when the chips are down it seems like he lacks that character and personality to turn things around. 
That’s why I think we need this type of player on the pitch. We are too nice.

But why Rodgers doesn’t have that type of player to call upon us because he likes to be top dog. I think he likes to be liked, popular, and to rule the roost.

Just my observations anyway.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

But why Rodgers doesn’t have that type of player to call upon us because he likes to be top dog. I think he likes to be liked, popular, and to rule the roost.

....I have said this a long time ago!!!

If you want a player with certain attributes, strong mentality and a leader on and off the pitch, they would come with a certain personality, an aura if you will. Can Rodgers deal with someone who embodies these traits?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I agree that having a winning mentality is a complex, multi-faceted thing. I think some people seem to be born with ‘charisma’… that special something that makes people want to work hard for them, but you can’t put your finger on what ‘it’ is… 

I would say that this must stem from the manager. Because if it doesn’t, there’s not much point having a manager!

The top managers seem to have that ‘thing’ about them… and it’s not always about complex tactics. Brian Clough was a fantastic example of this. There’s plenty of archive footage where his players made it clear that everything was kept completely simple. Eg free kicks—- shoot, corners—- get it in the box, keep it on the floor (if God wanted us to play football in the air he’d have put grass on clouds…) 😊

What he did have was charisma… to win the top division you have to be: ‘a little bit mad, lucky, and have great players’..

The players didn’t see him every day, but when they did see him, he was revered. 
Pep must be similar I think. And definitely Klopp. They have that special ‘something’ that makes them ‘the best’.

Rodgers I think comes into the next category down. He’s respected, the players like him… but when the chips are down it seems like he lacks that character and personality to turn things around. 

Why did he have the likes of Scott Brown in the Celtic side then? 

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Why did he have the likes of Scott Brown in the Celtic side then? 

Wasn’t he there before Rodgers? 🤷‍♂️

Guest Col city fan
7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Didn't have to play him did he?

How is he ever going to see himself as top dog at City with Vardy around?

Someone who wants to be top dog removes threats, like Vardy, Kasper et al.

Only manager I can think of trying that in recent time was Puel? 

I think too much is made of Rodgers ego, show me a successful football manager who hasn't got one. 

It’s only an assumption of mine. I don’t know this to be true.

Regarding Scott Brown… he’s ‘Mr Celtic’ and he was younger and one of their best players at the time. Rodgers wouldn’t have been able to get him out even if he wanted to. 
I recall Rodgers having ‘issues’ with Gerrard whilst at Liverpool. And of course, he got him out in the end. Reputedly Gerrard wanted another season.

And a number of managers have tried to replace Vardy over the years but of course have found him irreplaceable.

I was making more of a point about Rodgers not being able to push teams over the line. Liverpool was definitely the case and we have been too.

There’s something going on which makes our team not particularly mentally strong. Whether that stems from Rodgers.. it must do to some extent.

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I was making more of a point about Rodgers not being able to push teams over the line. Liverpool was definitely the case and we have been too.

There’s something going on which makes our team not particularly mentally strong. Whether that stems from Rodgers.. it must do to some extent.

Yes at Celtic his first league win was by a record margin of 30 points. So not too many must-win, knife-edge games there. Main rivals Aberdeen. Second season by 9 points - again Aberdeen main rivals. 

On 04/06/2022 at 09:09, Babylon said:

Successful people also aren’t ****ing stupid and will know that unless you match the investment of everyone else you expect to challenge, you are most likely to be pissing in the wind 99% of the time. 

Notice how he said “fight” for cups and “return as soon as possible”. You think Rodgers doesn’t want that? It’s a patently vague statement.

Was Vichai stupid then?

Its pretty common place for ambitious people to have ambitions above what may not be seen as reasonable by others,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

How do you know? 

From watching them. We seem far more interested in keeping the ball than playing aggressively. See also his usual weekly comments about a lack of aggression, it still hadn't been addressed.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Why do people seem to have an issue with he fact it's entirely possible to be ambitious AND realistic. Eg. Aim to be the best in everything you do, but don't throw your toys out like a baby when 7 clubs with superior budgets finish above you.

In the 1990s I was a founder member of an organisation called Ambitious Leicester Fans. We were sick of the club languishing in the second tier with relegation seemingly inevitable. We were sick of any young player showing any kind of promise being sold. It seemed to us there were plenty of clubs of similar size - Palace, Southampton who were doing better than us. As we handed out leaflets there were plenty of people telling us we were unrealistic troublemakers…some ripped up our leaflets in front of us…

what followed was Brian Little, Mark McGhee and MON and a club punching above its weight. No one achieved anything of significance by being realistic…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

In the 1990s I was a founder member of an organisation called Ambitious Leicester Fans. We were sick of the club languishing in the second tier with relegation seemingly inevitable. We were sick of any young player showing any kind of promise being sold. It seemed to us there were plenty of clubs of similar size - Palace, Southampton who were doing better than us. As we handed out leaflets there were plenty of people telling us we were unrealistic troublemakers…some ripped up our leaflets in front of us…

what followed was Brian Little, Mark McGhee and MON and a club punching above its weight. No one achieved anything of significance by being realistic…

I doff my cap to you - I went Millwall away in 1991 with ALF - A great bunch of blokes 

On 07/06/2022 at 08:32, Ric Flair said:

It's a curious one, I know he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't but there seems to be an obvious attempt at containment during spells under Rodgers that might just be dressed up in poor performance followed by a relinquishing of the shackles and we play with freedom (maybe dressed up as finding some confidence/momentum).

Down the stretch of both seasons we missed out on top 4, we suddenly seemed to attempt to shut up shop after the panic of Dawson scoring in the dying seconds at Vicarage Road, he puts out a side at home to Brighton that was just horrifyingly negative and it showed. We were lucky to come away with a 0-0 and it was a disaster in the opening chunk of the following game away at Everton before he threw the kitchen sink at it.

The same was very noticeable in 2020/21, we absolutely obliterate Wedt Brom and are 3-0 up at half time and he bollocks them which is one of the most staggering things I've ever heard about Rodgers and we seemed very timid and risk averse from there on in. It was galling to see.

You could argue we saw it down the stretch of this season too as we gotten ourselves in to a semi final of a European competition and in touching distance of the top 7/8, we then perceived to play some of the most negative and turgid football in quite some time, even with our best players back and rotating and it was only when we were out of Europe and the top 7 was gone that the handbrake was removed and we played with aggression and belief.

It's not all being orchestrated by Rodgers, the players may well struggle with pressure at times but the manager does as well I'm convinced of it as can be seen in the actions he takes.

I often see this WBA game referred to but I can't really remember what specifically happened. It just seems completely mental that he could bollock them for being 3-0 up at half time.

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I often see this WBA game referred to but I can't really remember what specifically happened. It just seems completely mental that he could bollock them for being 3-0 up at half time.

He kicked a water bottle on the sideline in anger when we were 3-0 up, stood there with a face on which he seldom ever does and then after the game boasted how unimpressed he was with us first half as we'd made sloppy passes when we ought to be in total command and told his players so at half time. Then said we'd done brilliantly 2nd half which was just perturbing as we looked so uninterested in attacking with desire and aggression like we had before he bollocked them.

Seemed to knock the stuffing out of them as we were then quite turgid for a number of games after that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He kicked a water bottle on the sideline in anger when we were 3-0 up, stood there with a face on which he seldom ever does and then after the game boasted how unimpressed he was with us first half as we'd made sloppy passes when we ought to be in total command and told his players so at half time. Then said we'd done brilliantly 2nd half which was just perturbing as we looked so uninterested in attacking with desire and aggression like we had before he bollocked them.

Seemed to knock the stuffing out of them as we were then quite turgid for a number of games after that.

great management that,

• Haha 1