Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I love the fact the same people who call us bottlers under Rodgers are now posting about Pochettino lol

A manager in England who finished with two runner up medals in two cup competitions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I love the fact the same people who call us bottlers under Rodgers are now posting about Pochettino lol

A manager in England who finished with two runner up medals in two cup competitions.

But yet according to most he's 'too big' for us. He's a manager with a proven track record of progressing young exciting teams playing a good style of football. Exactly what we'd need if Rodgers left. Especially since a lot of Rodgers defenders tell us that 'we expect too much'.

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Because Rodgers' reputation took a hit after Liverpool, so he had to go to Celtic to rebuild it. After Celtic, none of the top 6 clubs were going to touch him as that was too big of a jump. Leicester was a step up for him. He's since gone on to prove that he should rightfully be in that bracket, like how Pochettino did at Spurs, but he wasn't perceived to be at that level when he left the Celtic job and first joined us.

There's now no need for Pochettino to take the Leicester job. His reputation would take a hit for taking a "lesser" job than what he could get elsewhere, and he's already proven at Spurs that he can be a success with a side that's an "outsider" in England. Thing is as well with PSG, is that you don't have to be massively successful to keep your reputation in tact because the club is an absolute mess, and everyone knows that. They still won the league this season just gone as well, so it's not as if they massively underperformed. 

Imagine how terrible it would be for Pochettino if it all went tits up here for him? Especially with how demanding our fan base has become. It would effectively kill his chances to get one of the top jobs again until he achieved something similar to what he did at Spurs again. 

Basically, Pochettino gains nothing from taking the job as our manager.

Pochettinos reputation has already taken a hit. He couldnt manage a team with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe to get to into a decent shout of winning the Champions League. Winning the League in France is almost a given. 

Man Utd flirted with him for years but suddenly went cold once they realised he couldn't manage the bigger players. I imagine it would be a similar story with the other 'big' clubs.

He needs a rebuild. Whether thats here or somewhere else.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Not to the extent that he'll be setting his sights on the likes of ourselves (and even then I don't think it really has, everyone knows that the PSG job is a set-up for failure - look at how well Tuchel and Emery have done since). There's roughly about 5 clubs in the world that would turn their nose up at Pochettino if they were looking for a manager and he was available. Come on - I can't seriously believe you think he'd come to Leicester, it's absolutely absurd. 

I can't get my head around the fact that you'd consider Poch coming here as 'absolutely absurd' when you say that he and Rodgers are exactly the same profile, which I actually get and considering their near similar histories why is it 'asbolutely absurd'? He got sacked from Spurs for underperforming after overperforming (Rodgers at Liverpool) and he went to a club to win a title in a farmers league yet failed in Europe (Rodgers at Celtic). The only difference is that the farmers league stint was with a team that was richer than the other and stacked with World Class talent which in theory means Poch failed in Europe harder than Rodgers.

I'm not saying Poch will be holding out for the Leicester job and we are his number one choice. But if we are looking for a manager come October for whatever reason and he's still out of work for whatever reason. I think if the right offer was made he would at least consider it.

And the main point is that it debunks the myth that 'there is nobody better available'. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I didn't say they were the "exact same profile" - I said that they are in the same bracket of quality of manager. After he had been at Liverpool, Rodgers wasn't widely perceived to be of that level of quality until his success with us - that is why he took the Leicester job, because he has had to prove that he belongs in that category of manager. 

The French league point isn't really right either, managing PSG comes with a lot more prestige than managing Celtic, and the point can instantly be dismissed due to the fact that Lille won the title in 2021, so therefore Pochettino's PSG did better in the last 12 months in comparison to the 12 months prior to that, so it wasn't just a given that they'd reclaim the title. Don't forget re Europe, that PSG went out to the eventual winners of the Champions League, even if they were in a favourable position prior to Real's comeback.

Your last line is a bit off of the mark as well, because in your opinion you feel that he'd consider it, but I think in 99.9% of people's that they'd agree that he wouldn't even give us a seconds thought. If Rodgers was to leave, we'd be getting linked to the Dyche's, Lampard's, Howe's etc. of this world (not those specific names but that level of manager) not the Pochettino's. We should be happy with Rodgers as manager, anyway. 

Same bracket same profile its the same context you're arguing semantics. Either way they are the same quality of manager in your opinion and in mine they've had similar profiles. Yes the PSG job is bigger than the Celtic job but also Poch was far less successful in the PSG role than Rodgers was in the Celtic one. 

As for the French league point PSG have won the league in 8 of the last 10 seasons. My point holds, winning the league with the calibre of players they have is a given. They did go out to the eventual winners but given how stacked the team is and the position they was in that game they should have done better. Its why he's lost the job and other huge clubs will have noticed that he couldn't get that far with a team containing Messi, Neymar and Mbappe.

The last point is again a point of opinion. Are you happy to accept that we should forever be linked to the Dyches, Lampards and Howes or should we given the chance set our sights a little higher? I've mentioned in previous posts that there is a lot of good about this club and a lot for a good manager to be interested in. Why should we as one of the most successful clubs of the last decade and even the last 25 years actually consider a level of manager that have never really proven anything? Especially Lampard. Dyche and Howe however have done respectable jobs and shouldn't be sniffed at but they shouldn't be first choice.

I'm not saying we're massive and we've got a god given right to world class managers and players but Poch is as good as first year Rodgers and a club that has ambition like ours should be trying for that level of manager if they are available and we have a vacancy. We shouldn't just stick to our perceived level, whatever happened to ambition?

Also as an aside, we pay Rodgers more than PSG paid Poch. We pay Rodgers more than Spurs ever paid Poch. Money talks and if he got a 10 million a year offer which is considerably higher than he's ever earned. He would consider it. 

Edited by Dames
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Because Rodgers' reputation took a hit after Liverpool, so he had to go to Celtic to rebuild it. After Celtic, none of the top 6 clubs were going to touch him as that was too big of a jump. Leicester was a step up for him. He's since gone on to prove that he should rightfully be in that bracket, like how Pochettino did at Spurs, but he wasn't perceived to be at that level when he left the Celtic job and first joined us.

There's now no need for Pochettino to take the Leicester job. His reputation would take a hit for taking a "lesser" job than what he could get elsewhere, and he's already proven at Spurs that he can be a success with a side that's an "outsider" in England. Thing is as well with PSG, is that you don't have to be massively successful to keep your reputation in tact because the club is an absolute mess, and everyone knows that. They still won the league this season just gone as well, so it's not as if they massively underperformed. 

Imagine how terrible it would be for Pochettino if it all went tits up here for him? Especially with how demanding our fan base has become. It would effectively kill his chances to get one of the top jobs again until he achieved something similar to what he did at Spurs again. 

Basically, Pochettino gains nothing from taking the job as our manager.

Yeah, all those achievements at Spurs…….🤔 

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Ambition and realism can go hand in hand. No offence, but it seems you are struggling with the latter. 

Two top 5 finishes in 3 years and an FA Cup win say differently. If we were struggling to break into the top 10 every season you'd have a point but we've been knocking on the door for years now and as of this moment we still have a very capable squad. 

Just now, pmcla26 said:

And that has only been achieved under Rodgers. It's not our usual position. We are a side that should be finishing roughly 7th/8th and be looking to get to the quarter finals of the domestic cup competitions, anything extra is a bonus. 

So you're saying without Rodgers we are essentially a nothing club? 

I'm sorry but I don't believe that one man defines the club. He's had a huge part in our recent successes don't get me wrong but he is not the sole reason. 

Also this isn't our usual position no but we are still at a point in our development where we can go up or down. I'd rather us make progress and go up. If it happens under Rodgers great but if he fails or goes that progress shouldn't stop because you and or other fans don't deem it usual or normal for us to be ambitious. 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No not at all, I'm saying that this has only been achieved during his tenure - which includes all the players, staff and anyone else who has contributed to our success in the last 3 seasons. 

I do deem us to be ambitious, but I'm also realistic. We aren't attracting Pochettino. Your Graham Potter's and Steve Cooper's of this world (i.e. young, promising managers that like to play positive football at clubs with lower reputations than ours) is what is more likely to come after Rodgers. 

Now we're getting somewhere. As you point out there is an infrastructure that is set up for success. An ambitious ownership that is more than willing to back their managers, world class facilities, a good promising squad and the best crop of youngsters coming up we've had in years.  

Don't get me wrong there are problems coming over the hill, the lack of transfer funds in the past few windows, squad players on stupid contracts and key players running their contracts down but as of right now we are still an extremely attractive proposition. 

I'm not disagreeing with Potter or Cooper and its highly likely a manager like that would be our next manager but our owners have proven ambitious in the past and I would not be surprised if it comes to it they would reach out to Poch. I think he's attainable, its not a nailed on yes but we are definitely more attractive than some on here give us credit for and as i've mentioned 10 million a year would go a long way to sweetening the pot. 

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

I noticed the change in mood too.

We surely have to get better at negotiating squad player contracts as it’s been stated numerous times about our wage v income yet appear to have a pretty large amount of squad fillers on silly money - Hamza 80k p/w, Jannik, Perez, Bertrand to name a few, all on above the PL average outside the Top 6.

I’m just waiting for one of the RL sages to say - perhaps it wasn’t such  a trivial matter to fail to get Champions League two seasons on the trot and Europa last …or that our recruitment hasn’t been as smart as we’d assumed ..

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

And that has only been achieved under Rodgers. It's not our usual position. We are a side that should be finishing roughly 7th/8th and be looking to get to the quarter finals of the domestic cup competitions, anything extra is a bonus. 

Err BR has added three players to the starting line up in three and a half seasons

Fofana

Castagne 

Justin 

He’s got a talented squad he inherited playing well enough to regularly challenge for Europe, won the FACup while presiding over a catastrophic decline in our defending - big picture that’s it..

• Like 1

Pochetino wasn't wanted by United when he was out of work wouldn't fit at Liverpool or City and couldn't go to Arsenal/Chelsea due to the Spurs connection and he had a massive bust up with Levy so which big 6 club is going to take him exactly?

Edited by Jimmy

I actually don't think Pochettino is as unattainable as people think. I'm not saying that it's going to happen or that it should happen, but what makes people think that he is destined for a top six job? Which top six club would have him at present? Liverpool and Man City definitely wouldn't, I can't see him at Chelsea, Man United have just appointed a manager so that leaves Arsenal and Tottenham. For Tottenham to be a viable option, it means that Conte would have left and even then do you think they will go back in for him or that he would necessarily want to go back? Having managed Tottenham, managing Arsenal has its own complications. 

Do you think the other elite clubs in Europe will be knocking his door down having been sacked by Tottenham and failing in the champions league with PSG with what is possibly player for player the best starting XI in world football? 

Edited by BenTheFox

8 hours ago, Dames said:

Two contradicting statements there. You either think he's too good and wouldn't come near or If he's no upgrade then why wouldn't he come if Rodgers leaves? 

History doesn't matter much we should all know that by now otherwise the worlds best players and managers would be desperate to sign for Forest right? The transfer finances I'll give you. For some reason teams such as Leeds have more financial clout than us... 

Its been reported he wants a move back to the Premier League, I can't see any of the 'bigger' clubs changing managers any time soon. If an opportunity like ours comes up, I think he'd consider it at least to tide himself over. I mean thats what Rodgers was supposed to have been doing with us right? 

Bit of a silly comment. 

There are plenty of clubs who have a modern history which makes them more of a draw here and aboard then us.

Edited by coolhandfox

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

It’s happening :ph34r: lol

Mauricio Pochettino has his eyes on the Leicester City job. If they start the season poorly don't be surprised if Poch is spotted in Leicester. Khun Top known to be an admirer of the highly rated coach who he's called a "great guy". Big pressure for Brendan Rodgers. #LCFC #Poch

Never seen @dames and Sean (Martin) in the same room …… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I expect Pochettino's next move to be something like Inter. I don't see a viable job for him in England. I think both sides made fair points though - it's not as ridiculous as it should be but we would also be viewed as a big gamble. Rodgers was clever with his timing of joining us. I'm not sure we're in as great a position now as we were three years ago when he came.

• Like 2