Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

oh dear... the huge rebuilding project seems to lack board support.   They are sending brendan a message.  They have made him.look a jerk.

Rodgers has been spinning a narative to talk up his cv: . he has over performed here and anyone who says he hasnt  is an entitled fan .

This lack of support for him is showing him the door (... he is too expensive to sack so top is hoping he finds a new berth, )

On 15/06/2022 at 14:06, pmcla26 said:

What has that got to do with my post that you quoted?

A catastrophic decline due to injuries tearing the defense apart - what a shock with the players that were involved. 

It's still a fact that that has only been achieved during his tenure - it's not saying he is the only reason behind it. 

That's just a big lie though.

There was no 'injury crisis', Vestergaard only appeared in 10 league games. During our 'Crisis' we were able to choose not to field a £15 million defender who is very experienced in the Premier League and even has European experience.

The reality is, Rodgers signed two terrible defenders, on huge wages with no resale value.

We were poor last season because of poor recruitment, not because of 'Injuries'. 

The board entrusted Rodgers with a transfer window that no other previous manager has been entitled to, and he failed miserably. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

He's still here then?

How exciting.

Yes, the same manager that has never finished below 10th with us and also won us the FA Cup last year, is still here.

Unbelievable isn't it.

You must be hard to excite. 

34 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Moan about season ticket prices - check

Moan about new kit - check 

Moan about lack of transfers - check 

Moan about Tielemans - check 

Moan about Rodgers - check 

Happy bunch on here aren’t we…

Are you moaning about moaning ? 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FoxyLeon said:

There was no 'injury crisis', Vestergaard only appeared in 10 league games. During our 'Crisis' we were able to choose not to field a £15 million defender who is very experienced in the Premier League and even has European experience.

The reality is, Rodgers signed two terrible defenders, on huge wages with no resale value.

We were poor last season because of poor recruitment, not because of 'Injuries'. 

The board entrusted Rodgers with a transfer window that no other previous manager has been entitled to, and he failed miserably. 

In hindsight, I think we were guilty of not proactively monitoring players of the right profile. Fofana was injured right before the season had started and after we had done our main transfer business which meant we had to

dip back in. Not having your first choice CB pairing for the majority of the season is a bit of a crisis. 

As for having a £15m defender on the bench, Vestegaard wasn’t bought through choice but rather through necessity. We would have been better off buying a younger player in the mould of Fofana / Soyuncu (eg. Mobile, athletic) as he just doesn’t fit our style at all. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

An interesting interview with Jakupovic in The Athletic today. (subscription required).

He says Shakespeare lied to him about his role (that Hamer was going to be on the bench "the first few games" as payment for his loyalty) and that Puel was awful, although he said much of that was due to the language issue (although it reads like he is just being diplomatic).

On Rodgers:  “I was thinking of leaving when my three-year contract ended, but I am thankful to him he gave me two more years ... I learned a lot under him. It was something special. We had good staff, a good team and good morale."

“We were just a little unlucky that twice we finished fifth because we lost the last games and missed out on Champions League, but he made a team that is unbelievable. They were competing against the best teams in England and to finish fifth for two years – and could have finished fourth both times – that is an amazing job. I am sure he will do a good job this season too.”

Jakupovic also praised Rodgers' man-management, saying he created an environment where everyone within the squad, whether they were playing or not, were pulling in the same direction. It also seems Rodgers gave him a role in coaching the youth players to help him prepare for life after football.

It's a pretty good interview, if you have a subscription.

I'm sure being paid £3 million to be Schmeichels cheerleader helped lol

Will give this a read now. He's clearly good at getting the players on side as they've never once looked like they refuse to play for him as a group. Not a surprise though considering he's got us paying a lot of very average players a lot of money. I'd love the man if he came was responsible for me getting 30k a week to put the cones out. Or 70-80 grand a week to basically be a living scarecrow.

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Will give this a read now. He's clearly good at getting the players on side as they've never once looked like they refuse to play for him as a group. Not a surprise though considering he's got us paying a lot of very average players a lot of money. I'd love the man if he came was responsible for me getting 30k a week to put the cones out. Or 70-80 grand a week to basically be a living scarecrow.

I think it is a bit much to say Rodgers has support because he is overpaying players. Rangnick had plenty of overpaid players, and it didn't buy him support. It just might be that the evaluation of Rodgers' performance is a lot different amongst the players/staff than it is on FoxesTalk.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I think it is a bit much to say Rodgers has support because he is overpaying players. Rangnick had plenty of overpaid players, and it didn't buy him support. It just might be that the evaluation of Rodgers' performance is a lot different amongst the players/staff than it is on FoxesTalk.

I'd agree, I was being a bit flippant I'll admit :D

He's clearly very good at networking and charming people and getting them onside. Even to the point where they will accept being blamed for results after tactical changes in a game. I've no doubt if he talked to me for 30 minutes in a bar I'd be putty in his hands as well lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

There was an injury crisis but it has been widely overstated and it’s not a sufficient excuse for the appalling defending which followed for pretty much the whole season. And had we signed better defensive cover we would have suffered far less. Only Fofanas injury could said to have been a bolt from the blue. Castagne and Justin were injured long  before a ball was kicked - at Evans age he’s always going to be a doubt and he’d limped out of the Cup Final, Amartey was always going to Afcon. Pereira rarely seems fully fit.

So Vestergaard and Bertrand were vital signings to get right - all the more so after Little Wes was crocked - I know Bertrand had already arrived by then - but you get my drift. Had we not wasted money on Soumare we might have afforded the likes of Tarkowski ..injury crisis yes , but woeful summer recruitment was also to blame for our failure to progress …

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

... managers are either loved by half of his squad, with the other half can't wait for him to go!!!

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Every time I looked at our squad ahead of the new season, I was always amazed when every time I saw Jakupovic still in it until his newly announced release! He must clearly have preferred the hefty wage packet for being third choice 'keeper to playing first team football in the five seasons he was here  - aka stealing a living! I don't think he even went out on loan to anybody in all of his five seasons here either since we got him from Hull!

4 minutes ago, Guy said:

Every time I looked at our squad ahead of the new season, I was always amazed when every time I saw Jakupovic still in it until his newly announced release! He must clearly have preferred the hefty wage packet for being third choice 'keeper to playing first team football in the five seasons he was here  - aka stealing a living! I don't think he even went out on loan to anybody in all of his five seasons here either since we got him from Hull!

I Can’t believe a reserve keeper did the job of a reserve keeper either 

• Like 2

Just now, Samilktray said:

I Can’t believe a reserve keeper did the job of a reserve keeper either 

Indeed. He played twice for us in five seasons and both of those games were under Puel's early tenure, including playing in the Arsenal game when we beat them for the first time in the league since before Wenger was in charge there.....the other one being in the forgettable Fleetwood FA Cup tie that season!

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think the 3rd choice goalkeeper role is unique, tbh. Pep Guardiola has spoken regularly about how important Scott Carson has been at Man City in tutoring younger players, welcoming new signings, pushing the other goalkeepers in training and being just an overall decent bloke to have around. Ben Foster has spoken on the importance of back-up goalkeepers on his YouTube channel several times, too. I imagine Jakupovic had a similar role at LCFC - KDH put something on Instagram recently saying about how much he helped him. 

Don't get me wrong, it's an expensive role for someone that seems to have little impact on what goes on, on the pitch, but PL football is a different world to the norm. "Stealing a living" is probably a bit harsh. 

Yes, I was being a tad flippant with the "stealing a living" line really and as he didn't ever go out on loan anywhere in his five seasons here then maybe there was more than met the eye to his mostly third in line role.

I read that he had a positive influence on the squad in his time here and obviously had a lot of behind the scenes experience after being here under three different managers in that time .... while presumably keeping Schmeichel on his toes for competition before we signed Ward. Maybe there's more as the report and indeed you alluded to!

21 minutes ago, Guy said:

It's in the article: He signed to be a #2 pushing for #1. Shakespeare lied to him. He tried to get out under Puel, but the club refused. The last two one-year deals were heavily influenced by Covid.

• Like 2