Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Dames said:

I have a feeling that the club are reluctant to back him with any serious finances this summer. We would have had some movement now to at least get 1 or 2 people in for the start of preseason, as it stands we dont even have any serious links with someone. 

...the premise that the fiscal year begins in July could explain why we have not announced any deals as yet!!!

Not going to worry too much now, we were promised a rebuild and expect we will see one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

He’s suffered third season syndrome too at other clubs 

He's only got to the third season with Liverpool and Leicester. And when he left us, we were well ahead in the league, won the league cup, and would eventually win the Scottish FA Cup as well. 

Edited by Guest454545
Spelling

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

He’s suffered third season syndrome too at other clubs 

Pretty standard stuff for most managers, how many last 3 seasons

As of March 1st 2022, the average Premier League tenure was 772 days, which is a little over two years and one month. 

Edited by coolhandfox

13 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Find that a little curious to be honest, as Top would be well aware of the contracts implications, and is clearly a savvy guy, so must have had enough confidence to sign it.

I think Vichai would have been more likely to call Rodger's bluff when getting his contract improved in the first place and also more likely to fire him now.  Vichai was an experienced shrewd operator. I think, unfortunately, Top had the wool pulled over his eyes by a silver tongued slimy operator and is now suffering the consequences. It's a huge decision for him but if he backs Rodgers too much in the transfer market it could ruin the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Find that a little curious to be honest, as Top would be well aware of the contracts implications, and is clearly a savvy guy, so must have had enough confidence to sign it.

I'd have echoed your belief had you been referring to Vichai. However, Top took over before either had fully been familiar with the English Premier landscape.

I think Top is still on the learning curve and there are significant figures he has to (or does listen to) when decisions have to be made. We assume he's savvy yet his vision manifests primarily in his plans for the development of the infrastructure of the KP.

Rodgers sells himself well - and his motivational abilities have resulted in a string of good results since his arrival. But this close season is a critical juncture for him. He needs to act and act well on his proposed refresh. 

Were I a Prem manager, I'd only trust my own assessments of players who were recommended to me. And I'd trust in my ability to assess them. Last season's recruitment has turned out to be middling to dire - with three players being dire. Only Lookman has impressed me enough to make him a 'keeper'. Daka has still much to prove.

Whoever is involved in this summer's recruitment should not be thinking about satisfying the fans but satisfying themselves that they've left no stone unturned in coming up with exceptional players to continue City's ambitions as an institution of real solidity and depth are matched by its team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think Vichai would have been more likely to call Rodger's bluff when getting his contract improved in the first place and also more likely to fire him now.  Vichai was an experienced shrewd operator. I think, unfortunately, Top had the wool pulled over his eyes by a silver tongued slimy operator and is now suffering the consequences. It's a huge decision for him but if he backs Rodgers too much in the transfer market it could ruin the club.

Perhaps so  :dunno: But I dare say that Susan holds way more sway that Rodgers ever could, and I see no world where she gets bamboozled by Rodgers. I also realise that Rodgers is an extremely divisive figure at this club, but to frame him as some form of Machiavellian saboteur is a bit of a stretch imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

But Rodgers doesn't have the complete say on transfers so backing him is backing the club not just the manager. If we don't have the correct scouts and analysts to aid us in this then that runs bigger than Brendan as its very rare for a head coach to be hugely responsible for identifying and making signings. 

• Like 1

From the Merc: “It’s resetting all of that off the pitch as well as on the pitch. I always said, one game a week is a holiday, but let’s hope it’s a good holiday and we can really push on again.”

What sort of nonsense language is that?! A holiday? What is he trying to imply or say? That because they are not playing twice a week, they can be more relaxed? They'll be fitter? There are much better ways of saying this.

"and we can really push on again." After the holiday? You don't push on during a holiday...

Maybe the Merc just got the quote wrong?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

From the Merc: “It’s resetting all of that off the pitch as well as on the pitch. I always said, one game a week is a holiday, but let’s hope it’s a good holiday and we can really push on again.”

What sort of nonsense language is that?! A holiday? What is he trying to imply or say? That because they are not playing twice a week, they can be more relaxed? They'll be fitter? There are much better ways of saying this.

"and we can really push on again." After the holiday? You don't push on during a holiday...

It's just a way of saying one game a week is easier than 2 or 3. 

Hardly something to get winded up about. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

One can interpret that however you like. Personally I read it as more of a mentality thing

The top clubs are used to playing 2-3 games a week and competing on 4 fronts for a lot/much of the season. He's saying comparatively, 1 game a week is a 'holiday' so it could be that he's laying down a marker to the squad - 'If you can't play well when you've only got one game a week, then are you actually any good? Show me what you're capable of' 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think all players, whoever they are, for various reasons, can have bad games. It therefore should follow that manager can also make the odd game changing bad decision, even Ferguson occasionally had the honesty to admit it. Pep has too. Therefore Rodgers deserves that leeway too imo.

However, over a long period of time now, Rodgers seems to have gone that bit further by insisting on a poor style of play and, despite injuries, made questionable decisions regarding player selection and positioning, formations, tactics and substitutions. Many of the results we scraped, imo, were due to individual quality moments from some of our players, some of whom throughout were better than those of our opponents in terms of their abilities. Rarely was it down to Rodgers influence. I think had it not been for a run of good end of season results against very poor, sometimes second string or already relegated sides, then our true positioning would have been achieved. Those results papered of the cracks for me and 8th place in the table flatters to deceive. 

I think you are right to a degree that there were results that were gained solely through individual brilliance, as we were struggling to create, the Brentford game really rings true of this.

But then the opposite of this argument is there were plenty of games where we were the better team and winning games, only for really awful individual mistakes to lose us those games. There’s that ridiculous stat that if we’d won every game we’d been winning we would have finished in the top 4 so we can’t be relying on individual brilliance all the time, there’s clearly a system that works even if it was boring for lots of the season. Lots of the reasons we lost points were because of players losing their man at the back post from crosses, or just generally from set pieces, we gave away late penalties, kasper had a few nightmares etc. 

Whilst Rodgers made mistakes last season, so did many of the players. With our strongest back four I think we reduce those mistakes, reduce the number of set piece goals we concede and improve our progression form the back. Obviously easier said than done as we have too many injuries, and Rodgers has his part to play in that too I’m sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

To be honest I took it as being a holiday is something that you always come back from. And so he’s implying we’ll be back in Europe soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Of course

All mine are are personal opinions too

He won’t turn this around 

I believe he will.

I believed Pearson could turn us around after the shocking second half of 12/13 and similarly I think Rodgers will.

Top 6 and a decent run in one of the Cup competitions would be enough for me as an improvement and I think he'll achieve that. The big issue for me will be whether he has us defending set pieces better.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What constitutes turning it around, have we got to get top 6 again? This is where I think he's now got no hope anyway. For me, he turns it around by rectifying the set piece debacle, maintains the style of football seen in the last handful of games and proves he can keep a squad fit enough to not have a plethora of injuries constantly.

Do all that with a real desire to bring through some of our academy players and hit 60+ points and don't really care where we finish as that's a positive season.

I think the top 6 is difficult this season, with Arsenal and both Spurs strengthening, I can only see 6th &7th being up for grabs, between us, Man U, West Ham and Maybe Newcastle. 

I think good attacking football and better game management (Defending), being in the fight for a European football at the death of the season and going well in both the Cups would be a successful season.

With the 5 subs rule, I would be disappointed if we don't see a few appearances for academy players. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2