Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Perhaps so  :dunno: But I dare say that Susan holds way more sway that Rodgers ever could, and I see no world where she gets bamboozled by Rodgers. I also realise that Rodgers is an extremely divisive figure at this club, but to frame him as some form of Machiavellian saboteur is a bit of a stretch imho.

?????

Divisive amongst the fans but at the club?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

The blaming came after he had changed it and we were still conceding.. but let's not let facts get in the way, eh? 

I think not. There was plenty of blaming on here of the tactics before and even Sky and Match of the Day pundits, not everyone can be wrong bar Rodgers and his doubtful defensive coaching. Yes, it did carry on even with all our best players present to some extent unless we were playing some piss poor opposition towards the end of the season.  All of our defenders, quite a few of them internationals, can't all be that atrocious and the management and coaching staff be squeaky clean can they?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, moore_94 said:

image.png.6e17b204d6a7f9089ab2cb354c97508a.png

I bet big Nige is looking at this and wondering why on earth you wouldn't sport a huge pair of ice white trainers to go with such attire. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Haha 2

On 26/06/2022 at 21:08, Cardiff_Fox said:

That’s only Watford in the cup what would apply. 

He was on the bench 7 times; the opposition included Man City, Liverpool (twice) and Napoli. The other games were Spartak 1-1, Newcastle 4-0 and Watford in the Cup. 

The kid is 17 going on 18. He looked nowhere near ready v Villarreal before the season started. The defensive record for the Under 23s isn’t particularly great; so him learning his lessons there are far better than him being thrown in the deep end

that's the thing though he's not learning anything sat on the bench

16 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

What a ridiculous post.

We all have levels of expectations (though it seems like some on here have incredibly low expectations and are just glad to be in the PL still) 

If his football doesn’t meet my expectations then I’ll want him gone. 

Is there a problem with that? 

Pot and kettle 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

What a ridiculous post.

We all have levels of expectations (though it seems like some on here have incredibly low expectations and are just glad to be in the PL still) 

If his football doesn’t meet my expectations then I’ll want him gone. 

Is there a problem with that? 

Bit aggressive no ? :blink:

17 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Fair enough

Our overall performances have been bad for much longer than half a season though. More like two years 

Even still, you say performances have been bad for two years yet in that time we haven't finished outside the top 10 and we've won a major trophy.

So I'd like to see us once our performances get back to being like they were during the first stage of the 19/20 season.

15 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Which of the big 6 do you think we'll finish above? 

I mean, it is difficult to say right now (even from me it was but I just want to be optimistic) given we don't know who is buying who but I think Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd will be the interesting ones.

Personally I think Man City/Liverpool/Spurs are nailed on top 3.

24 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I am unsure about Spurs.. Conte has a shelf-life of about 2 years under the best of circumstances and he is going to start to chaffe under Levy. 

They are very good, but are just two injuries away from being just better than average.

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Even still, you say performances have been bad for two years yet in that time we haven't finished outside the top 10 and we've won a major trophy.

So I'd like to see us once our performances get back to being like they were during the first stage of the 19/20 season.

I mean, it is difficult to say right now (even from me it was but I just want to be optimistic) given we don't know who is buying who but I think Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd will be the interesting ones.

As would I. Desperately 

• Like 1

It's going to be an interesting season isn't it and a true test of Rodgers mettle.  Assuming we have less injuries there will be no hiding behind Brentspeak this season.  Put up or shut up.  

I am sure most fans are not unrealistic.  We aren't going to be challenging for top four with some of the traditionally bigger clubs consolidating and have greater stability.  Other than Man U obvs, they're just f**led 😁.  Top 6 is also going to be very very tough.  

An ability to defend set pieces and more dynamic/quicker football would be lovely.  Living away from Leicester I watch most of the games with neutrals and it's striking how many of them find our football turgid with the word sideways is bandied about often.  And I have to agree.  We are capable of putting together some beautiful moves and have some extremely talented players so let's see more of both. 

Let's see youth given more of a chance in the odd game that we are winning comfortably.  I found it bizarre in the final few games of last season that some of our academy players weren't given minutes.  

I am not in the Rodgers fan club but I want him to prove me and the other sceptics wrong this season.  Come on Rodgers you can do it man!  

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is though, if you have played football before, you know it's not that difficult to organise yourself defensively at set-pieces, but other than marking systems, it is mostly down to the players on the pitch. The zonal marking didn't work, man-to-man marking didn't work, a mix of the two didn't work - what is the common denominator here? 

And yeah, things did get better when Fofana, Evans and JJ returned to the fold - Amartey, Thomas and Soyuncu have been pony at set-pieces. 

Put someone on the far post. Would've cut the amount of goals down considerably 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Apologies, I thought you were the one being antagonistic in how you said what you said 

I’ve said loads on here many times about what I want from Rodgers, about my issues with his football (which run a lot deeper than us failing to finish 5th) and about how those issues have been around for two years or so. I’m aware I repeat myself a lot on here and I’m trying to avoid continuing it.

Our first really bad performance under him was Everton at home (Iheanacho VAR goal) which masked over the cracks. Slowly but surely our footballs been in decline ever since. 

Yes we’ve won some games and we’ve won the FA Cup. (So did Martinez at Wigan before they got relegated)

We’ve had abject result after abject result this season just gone. What games can you point out and honestly say we were brilliant? United and Liverpool at home are the only two I can think of. Two games out of 38. Throw into the mix the Warsaw game, the Napoli game, and the two performances against Roma where we simply didn’t have enough of a go. I’ve not even mentioned the utter embarrassment of Forest away, or the Newcastle or Spurs games.

But I’m not even bothered about the failure to win very often. I’m not even that bothered about our set piece problem. What bothers me the most is watching turgid sideways football and then being told I should be grateful for it. All whilst the players are chucked under the bus by their manager. It’s clear to me the manager is hampering the players. People say Barnes isn’t good enough- he’d bloody thrive at somewhere like Liverpool where they look to get the ball forward early and attack. If Rodgers would stop being so stubborn and sort out the above, the wins would follow. But no, we have to play total football apparently. 

September last year I was completely fed up of his current brand of football at Leicester. I decided to look at the PL stats of most completed passes in our side. The furthest player up the pitch who was in the Top 10 of LCFC most completed passes was Youri, who was 8th. All other 9 were Kasper defenders and Ndidi. (I can’t list them all as I don’t remember, but it’s true) Soyuncu and Kasper were leading our charts by a million miles. Football should not be like that. What baffles me even further is that some of the fans regurgitate the utter rubbish that’s comes out of Rodgers’ mouth in terms of possession football, and its importance. Despite managing to win the league over a season where we probably had the most possession only a handful of times. 

I wish some of the FT members were my bank manager with the amount of credit they’re still offering Rodgers. It went a bloody long time ago in my eyes.

My apologies too - because I didn't articulate my point very well initially. Yeah I don't disagree. We've been in a slow, slow decline under BR (in terms of the football) for 12-18months now, depending on how you count it. 

Hopefully the new season is a clean slate. 

Would be interesting to hear what the stance of yourself and other critics of BR would be if the football improved this season, but we finished 8th-10th and didn't win anything? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

My apologies too - because I didn't articulate my point very well initially. Yeah I don't disagree. We've been in a slow, slow decline under BR (in terms of the football) for 12-18months now, depending on how you count it. 

Hopefully the new season is a clean slate. 

Would be interesting to hear what the stance of yourself and other critics of BR would be if the football improved this season, but we finished 8th-10th and didn't win anything? 

I’d be over the moon personally. There are lots on here who dismiss the Rodgers ‘outers’ as self entitled which is very naive. I don’t think any of us ‘expect’ Top 6. But we do want to be entertained. It’s honestly not much to ask for

I’ve gone from turning off the football when it was BCD because it was so poor to genuinely not wanting to go to a game this season (I managed 3 home league games all season 😂

Theres wider issues at play- I’ve lost a lot of love and enthusiasm for football. But watching the dross served up the last year and more is definitely not making me fall back in love with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

This is the case for most sides. Look at Liverpool and Man City's stats, they're the same - their defenders complete the most passes. 

You’ve just compared two sides you tell us we should not be competing against in any way shape or form 

We don’t have the players for that. 

Round pegs in square holes. 

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Which we shouldn't be - I'm just saying it's near enough always the same for all successful sides. Okay, look at all the sides that finished around or above us from last season - I imagine that the point still stands for nearly all of them.

Have you looked at the stats on the average number of passes most goals are scored by/from? 

Isn’t it something like 85% of goals come from an average of 5 passes or less? 

I would say, however, difference between our defenders having the ball and Liverpool/Man City is that they are progressive with it. Van Dijk goes forward, even sometimes direct, Laporte drives forward. They do knock it between themselves but not as much as we seem to.

Obviously there is a difference in quality, plus both Liverpool/Man City have midfielders and forwards who actually move but our play at the back is really slow.

4 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I'm supremely confident that we wll have a barnstorming start to the season and all the doubters and all the haters will be turned. They will become Brenlightened.

I am encouraged by many things: The strong finish to the season (13 goals in 4 games), the fact that if we fixed our set piece issue we'd be in Europe, a less intense schedule, etc.

I am optimistic!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Have you looked at the stats on the average number of passes most goals are scored by/from? 

Isn’t it something like 85% of goals come from an average of 5 passes or less? 

Baring in mind how many goals we score, surely this is less down the list of sticks to beat Rodgers and his team with. Its how many we ship from 5 passes or less, usually from set pieces or defensive errors.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Baring in mind how many goals we score, surely this is less down the list of sticks to beat Rodgers and his team with. Its how many we ship from 5 passes or less, usually from set pieces or defensive errors.

Believe it or not I’m less fussed about that. Much prefer watching a team trying to score more goals than the opposition rather than watching a team trying to stop the other from scoring 

I can't help but think BR's only saving grace and probably the main reason fans didn't totally turn on him was the fact he promised this "big summer rebuild". Clearly he hasn't stuck to that and if anything we will be weaker if Youri goes. Can't see anything changing for the better next season at all.

• Like 2