Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Daka becomes one of the best strikers in the Premier league, Barnes will have the season of his life, Alvez will slip into right wing and be the surprise of the season attracting attention from near and far, KDH will fill Tieleman's boots and then some, Maddison will storm his way into the England squad, Ndidi will be back to his old self, Fofana will become easily the best centre back in the Premier League, Evans will mentor and guide him, Justin reemerge as the best left back in the league, Ricardo will marauder from right back as of days of old, the injury and form crisis will completely disappear forcing Brendan's detractors to sincerely apologise, we'll get into the final of the FA cup against Chelsea and just as it's looking like we'll miss out on comes Vardy from the bench hurdling behind Chilwell to connect to a perfect weighed pass from KDH in the final seconds, and as Vardy lifts the FA cup with a tear in his eye the crowd breaks out into Nessum Dorma.

Manifest it brother 

16 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I can't help but think BR's only saving grace and probably the main reason fans didn't totally turn on him was the fact he promised this "big summer rebuild". Clearly he hasn't stuck to that and if anything we will be weaker if Youri goes. Can't see anything changing for the better next season at all.

Had them over hasn’t he. It’s mad to think people have fell for it too 🤣

I wonder what stuff he’ll brainwash them with in August 

3DFDA8ED-8BB5-4130-89DE-0DF70DACC40F.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Yeah it's tongue in cheek. Let's give him time. It's early days. There's no need to panic. He's never had problems getting in the right players before.

What, apart from Vestergaard, Bertrand, Perez and seemingly Soumare?

4 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I'll sit back down :blush:

Sorry I thought the bit we not needing a new right winger was an obvious pisstake. But then I spent a large chunk of last season trying to argue that Perez's work down the right wing was underrated so :dunno:

5 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Sorry I thought the bit we not needing a new right winger was an obvious pisstake. But then I spent a large chunk of last season trying to argue that Perez's work down the right wing was underrated so :dunno:

Mate after last season I am not confident in declaring anything an obvious pisstake

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2022 at 08:09, Col city fan said:

What, apart from Vestergaard, Bertrand, Perez and seemingly Soumare?

Perez does not belong in the same category as Vestergaard and Bertrand firstly, but even still every manager has his poor signings. You think Man Utd fans lost faith in Fergie because he bought Obertan and Taibi? Our signings last season were poor but it's also the same manager/team that brought in Justin, Fofona and Castagne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Perez does not belong in the same category as Vestergaard and Bertrand firstly, but even still every manager has his poor signings. You think Man Utd fans lost faith in Fergie because he bought Obertan and Taibi? Our signings last season were poor but it's also the same manager/team that brought in Justin, Fofona and Castagne.

Ferguson was more than the sum of his transfers though. Rodger's other abilities don't remotely bear comparison. 

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Ferguson was more than the sum of his transfers though. Rodger's other abilities don't remotely bear comparison. 

I used Ferguson as an example. I could have picked any manager going back to the start of the football league.

My point is no manager gets it right every time. It's impossible.

• Like 1

In a modern football club, it's very, very simplistic to label a manager for signings. 

Led to believe even Vestergaard had some merit with the stat guys - Pep's incredible line on Boxing Day testament to that. That alongside rushing buying/lack of options beat the lack of fore vision on him fitting in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I used Ferguson as an example. I could have picked any manager going back to the start of the football league.

My point is no manager gets it right every time. It's impossible.

Quite right, I absolutely agree with you, no manager gets it right all of the time. Sometimes the players for example can be good in their country of origin but find it hard to adapt to our brand of football.

I just meant that Ferguson being Ferguson, probably had more latitude for being forgiven because of his other world class managerial attributes whereas Rodgers doesn't have those. Rodgers previous record in the transfer market with Liverpool and Celtic doesn't exactly inspire confidence though either.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
29 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Quite right, I absolutely agree with you, no manager gets it right all of the time. Sometimes the players for example can be good in their country of origin but find it hard to adapt to our brand of football.

I just meant that Ferguson being Ferguson, probably had more latitude for being forgiven because of his other world class managerial attributes whereas Rodgers doesn't have those. Rodgers previous record in the transfer market with Liverpool and Celtic doesn't exactly inspire confidence though either.

I think if you compare Rodgers even to Nige and Walsh, his signings have been really poor in the main. 

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think if you compare Rodgers even to Nige and Walsh, his signings have been really poor in the main. 

Them pair had some stinkers as well - difference was they didn't gamble the money on them as much. 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Them pair had some stinkers as well - difference was they didn't gamble the money on them as much. 

I think it's a lot easier to gamble on transfers and find gems in the Championship than in the PL.

We didn't "discover" anyone in the summer of 2014, and Kante was the only young gem in 2016.

Most of the amazing signings that people harp on about happened when we were in the Championship, where the odds on the roulette table are a little different.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah the only "big money" signing that they made that worked out was Ulloa (maybe Mendy, too, I guess - not immediately, though).

They warned off Slimani when Sporting wanted x amount. Fast forward months later and the club took the bait without a voice saying there's no value.  

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You can't compare Rodgers with Walsh as identifying talent is Walsh's job, its reported Walsh was behind every player behind the title winning side bar Kasper.
Nige never watched Fuchs & Shinji for instance prior to them joining, the Mahrez deal was done between Walsh, Mackenzie & the then DOF Terry Robinson nothing to do with Nigel.

I know Kante wasn't under Nige's time but same again it was Walsh convincing Ranieri to sign him.

Walsh on Wasilewski

“He was the captain of Poland and I had managed to get him on trial. I felt like I had won the pools and swam the channel. He came in and I was looking for Nigel, but he was off on his bike somewhere.

“I got hold of him and told him I had got Wasilewski in and he needed to speak to him. Nige was mad because he was ready to go out on his bike. He put the phone down on me but within an hour and a half, he was in.

‘Right, where is he?’

‘Training with the first team.’

‘Right!’

“After ten or 15 minutes, he walks back in and says, ‘Get him signed,’ and walked out the room.

Every good manager needs a support team behind him, Nige was very lucky to have Walsh.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You can't compare Rodgers with Walsh as identifying talent is Walsh's job, its reported Walsh was behind every player behind the title winning side bar Kasper.
Nige never watched Fuchs & Shinji for instance prior to them joining, the Mahrez deal was done between Walsh, Mackenzie & the then DOF Terry Robinson nothing to do with Nigel.

I know Kante wasn't under Nige's time but same again it was Walsh convincing Ranieri to sign him.

Walsh on Wasilewski

“He was the captain of Poland and I had managed to get him on trial. I felt like I had won the pools and swam the channel. He came in and I was looking for Nigel, but he was off on his bike somewhere.

“I got hold of him and told him I had got Wasilewski in and he needed to speak to him. Nige was mad because he was ready to go out on his bike. He put the phone down on me but within an hour and a half, he was in.

‘Right, where is he?’

‘Training with the first team.’

‘Right!’

“After ten or 15 minutes, he walks back in and says, ‘Get him signed,’ and walked out the room.

Every good manager needs a support team behind him, Nige was very lucky to have Walsh.

That’s a great anecdote, where was it from?

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They warned off Slimani when Sporting wanted x amount. Fast forward months later and the club took the bait without a voice saying there's no value.  

In defense of the Slimani and other ill-fated Summer 2016 signings: A team that had been in the Championship two years earlier was suddenly in the number 1 pot of the Champions League. It was unprecedented, and the club was truly unprepared. It is one thing to look for hidden gems in the French second division when playing in the Championship -- or even when a bottom-half PL side. The club suddenly needed some real reinforcements, and fast. Slimani ticked a lot of boxes (and in truth looked pretty good at first. We sometimes forget them main reason he wasn't playing that first year was because of a recurring groin injury, not form).