Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If things are as bad as we are fearing in regard to finances and squad changes, expect Rodgers to start applying pressure in the media and looking for an out. He'll not walk away when he's paid probably double what any other club would pay him in his next job but he'll not sit back and accept this.

This is a big fear of mine too. Especially if we don't start well. He is very good at spinning a narrative to suit himself and he will point straight towards no backing if we are struggling.

I actually think keeping the squad together as it is and injury free could mean a good season to be honest. He's just backed himself into a corner by going on about project rebuild.

• Like 1

I do worry that we're an underwhelming start to the season away from our Pochettino leaving Spurs moment, where after a few successful years together the players and staff have kind of had enough of eachother and with there not being a great deal of money in the bank the board decide it'll be more cost-effective to change the manager than give the squad enough fresh blood to make an impact.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Let’s see what happens in the rest of the transfer window but, if nothing happens and Brendan moans about it - then he’s got a f’kin point hasn’t he? 

It must be very difficult for a manager to be positive about the behind the scenes operation if he’s not being given any tools to work with. He knows he’ll be insulted relentlessly on forums like this and his reputation tarnished if we struggle next season - and he’s one part of the process. Finances and recruitment are another. 

Of course, if he’s given money and spends it on the likes of Vestergaard and Bertrand there might be some reluctance to trust him. If that’s the case - we should have got rid of him at the end of last season 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

This is a big fear of mine too. Especially if we don't start well. He is very good at spinning a narrative to suit himself and he will point straight towards no backing if we are struggling.

I actually think keeping the squad together as it is and injury free could mean a good season to be honest. He's just backed himself into a corner by going on about project rebuild.

But in essence it true, Kasper, Tielemans, Soyunuc, Amartey, Mendy, Hamza, Perez, Vardy, Evan, Bertrand all out of contract next summer.

How many of those of we going to renew, Vardy and Evan maybe? 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Oh he absolutely will, he was gobbing off in the press about lack of support regarding transfers at both Liverpool and Celtic for a good while before he left both clubs.

Let be honest most of Foxestalk is gobbing off 2 month before the window closes lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If things are as bad as we are fearing in regard to finances and squad changes, expect Rodgers to start applying pressure in the media and looking for an out. He'll not walk away when he's paid probably double what any other club would pay him in his next job but he'll not sit back and accept this.

To be fair he started the foundations with the Media, when he mentioned the Rebuild, amongst other comments.

To be honest though, I don't mind BR, and think he will actually do well this season, regardless, with what he has got, 6th or 7th with a good cup run, but i am sure most are aware of his self preservation, and media experience, to have a fall back, if things dont pan out, most managers do it to be honest, but I do think BR is an expert at it, charming, a smooth talker, who will always come out with his reputation in tact no matter what happens.

Rodgers may get unfair stick for having a poor reputation when it comes to signing players but if he is blameless for such signings then it needs to be explained why he has a much better track record of getting the best out of players already at clubs he arrives at than the ones signed for him. Do the recruitment staff suddenly tuck him up compared to previous regimes or is he the unluckiest manager in the world in that regard?

I know on one hand at least he stops playing recent signings if they don't seem to perform for him (Pere, Praet, Vestergaard, Soumare, Bertrand etc) but on the other hand it's quite alarming how quickly he does pull the plug on them. There's a discord there somewhere and I can understand why the club might be a bit miffed by calls for rebuilds when the players previously provided he'll very quickly disregard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

As much as it’s possible that we are not in the greatest financial position I remember last summer multiple peoples saying the same thing about us having no money. But they were wrong…. Yes maybe it wasn’t our best window but we did spend quite heavily and without selling. I’m not saying we could spend as much as we did last season again but I don’t think the financial situation is as bad as some people on here seem to think.

But then again none of us really know what the financial situation is but I doubt we would have let it get to a terrible state. The time it’s taking for us to do business is very frustrating and could very well affect the start of our season by not giving players enough time to settle in but I think we will start to see some business sone. Well I hope so anyway!

I don’t really trust Brendan with his transfer dealings.  He inherited a great squad, had a chance to add a few good quality players with the money he had, but wasted them on Perez, Soumare, Praet, Vesty to name a few who he does not use.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers may get unfair stick for having a poor reputation when it comes to signing players but if he is blameless for such signings then it needs to be explained why he has a much better track record of getting the best out of players already at clubs he arrives at than the ones signed for him. Do the recruitment staff suddenly tuck him up compared to previous regimes or is he the unluckiest manager in the world in that regard?

I know on one hand at least he stops playing recent signings if they don't seem to perform for him (Pere, Praet, Vestergaard, Soumare, Bertrand etc) but on the other hand it's quite alarming how quickly he does pull the plug on them. There's a discord there somewhere and I can understand why the club might be a bit miffed by calls for rebuilds when the players previously provided he'll very quickly disregard.

I agree with that and find some of it so strange. In the case of Perez, Vestergaard and Bertrand, they were all very exposed as what sort of performances they were capable of over a long period of previous service in the Premiership, everyone had seen them play, there was no in depth scouting to be done or the type of risks to be taken that might occur with a young foreign player who has to adapt to our game and settle in. 

Vestergaard was never going to be able to play a high line! Panic buy maybe but that's no excuse, for 15m wasted you could alternatively just play 4 at the back or give Nelson a debut? It took an eternity seemingly for Rodgers to recognise we had Armarty who came up trumps as cover compared to Vestergaard, why hadn't he seen that? We coped without Vestergaard albeit we leaked goals because he was never going to cope with Rodgers tactics and he sure as hell is slow to change any of them to suit the players available. 

Perez had had one half good season in 4 at Newcastle.

Bertrand was a bit unlucky in some ways as I can see the thinking behind it. Never meant to play every game I thought he started quite well but injury and then covid took it's toll. 

Soumare from the start, it was said, was for this coming season, he had to find his feet. There's all sorts of rumours about attitude and personal problems but they are just that, rumours. However, if he was outstanding for his young age playing a particular role in France, don't be surprised to some extent if things don't work out if you not only ask a young player to move country, adapt to the rigors and differences of the Premiership and then try and give him a new role as well at the same time!

Praet has been discussed to death and personally I rate him but he hardly had a settled time here did he in terms of a consistent run of games or position. If he'd been afforded the chances Perez had perhaps it may have been different. There does appear to be something more to that story between him and Rodgers. 

A lot of all that seemed avoidable from the outside looking in and lacked both foresight and to some extent, good management of assets.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not sure Perez, Praet sit on the the quickly discarded list:

Perez has played 100 games

Praet has played 60 games, pretty sure he would have played more but didn't wan to be a squad player.

12 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I don't think so ... as others have said, we have a lot of players with little time left on their contracts that needed to be shifted when he made those comments. And frankly, the team hadn't been playing as well as it should. By saying there was a need to refresh the squad, he was letting the fans know he wasn't happy with how they were playing and also could begin the process of moving out the players not in his plans.

The window has been slow for us to be sure, but it often is...every summer we have the same conversations. 

But the fact is, the club - not just Rodgers - want the short-contract bench warmers to move on this summer.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

So the likes of Mendy, Amartey, Praet, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Perez, Hamza etc. are all good enough for us long term and we don’t need a refresh with most of them leaving? 

Who says they’re leaving? 

With the exception of Vestergaard and Bertrand they’re all good enough to be back up in any case 

With Poch becoming available it wouldn't surprise me if the board took the view that a new face might get the best out of some of the squad players that have been cast aside and rather than spend £30-40m in the transfer market to replace said player's, there's more upside to settling BRs contract. You could easily recover the compensation by getting one to two of the peripheral players back to up to the kind of form we believe they are capable of. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Let’s see what happens in the rest of the transfer window but, if nothing happens and Brendan moans about it - then he’s got a f’kin point hasn’t he? 

It must be very difficult for a manager to be positive about the behind the scenes operation if he’s not being given any tools to work with. He knows he’ll be insulted relentlessly on forums like this and his reputation tarnished if we struggle next season - and he’s one part of the process. Finances and recruitment are another. 

Of course, if he’s given money and spends it on the likes of Vestergaard and Bertrand there might be some reluctance to trust him. If that’s the case - we should have got rid of him at the end of last season 

Rodgers is probably one of the main reasons for this. Hes been boasting last season about how most players at the club are earning more because of him.

Not saying hes fully responsible for our bloated salaries, he was taking the credit for most players getting improved terms though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure Perez, Praet sit on the the quickly discarded list:

Perez has played 100 games

Praet has played 60 games, pretty sure he would have played more but didn't wan to be a squad player.

Perez was dropped and publicly slated/challenged to improve after the start of the 2020/21 season. Ever since then he's been nothing more than a squad player and the season just gone possibly a last resort player for the most part. OK, he's not been immediately binned like what it appears Vestergaard, Bertrand and Soumare are faced with but for a joint record signing at the time it's still not what you'd envisage.

Praet has seldom been trusted, I do think Rodgers holds a grudge that we went for him over Calum McGregor. I may well be way off the mark but he's not been anything other than a squad player and he's another that suddenly got dropped when we so badly needed central midfielders and yet he refused to play him.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I don't think so ... as others have said, we have a lot of players with little time left on their contracts that needed to be shifted when he made those comments. And frankly, the team hadn't been playing as well as it should. By saying there was a need to refresh the squad, he was letting the fans know he wasn't happy with how they were playing and also could begin the process of moving out the players not in his plans.

The window has been slow for us to be sure, but it often is...every summer we have the same conversations. 

But the fact is, the club - not just Rodgers - want the short-contract bench warmers to move on this summer.

Probably best not to let the world know we are desperate to shift them though isn't it

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Probably best not to let the world know we are desperate to shift them though isn't it

I mean, the fact they hardly play is a good sign we want to shift them!

I mean Hamza, Perez, and Mendy have less than a year on their contract: Mendy wasn't even named to the squad the first half of the season, and not named to the squad for Europe the second half. We have been trying to shift him for several windows, and he only got a run of games due to injuries. Hamza and Perez hardly featured at all. I don't know how we could hide the fact we are desperate to shift them. Same goes for Vesty. It is obvious to anyone looking he doesn't fit our system and we would be open for bids.

If Soumare needs to go, then yeah, we sorta have to let people know we are desperate to shift him; otherwise no one would come in for him!

Players are surplus to requirements at all clubs, and still have a price on their head. There is actually an exclusive App that clubs have to advertise the players a club is trying to shift.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Rodgers was pissed off with him opting to do his rehab back in Belgium during Covid apparently 

Can’t ever cross Rodgers cos he’ll cut his nose to spite his face 

55 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Good. He's the manager.

Nobody crossed Fergie or else they were booted out of Man Utd. I couldn't imagine anyone being allowed to cross Pearson or O'Neill here either.

Fair enough really in that instance. I’m not sure something as innocuous as that pissed off Fergie though. I was also thinking about Kelechi forgetting his passport or whatever it was too though for Warsaw away 

We badly needed players last season but Rodgers stubbornness meant we couldn’t/wouldn’t get Praet back. 

Hindsights a wonderful thing though I suppose 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox