Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

We’re not just 26 days into an 81 day window, we’re 5 months into a 7 month period between Rodgers declaring we needed a rebuild and the end of the transfer window.

It’s hard to believe the club is/was serious about a rebuild this summer. If it was we’d have hit the ground running, as it is nearly every other club in the league (I’m not sure any of which had their manager declaring the need for a rebuild mid-season) are ahead of us in their transfer dealings.

It's one thing wanting a rebuild and quite another achieving one.

Our recruitment team may well have had priority lists of who they ideally would want. They have to be a specific type of player now to get into the first team, we're not Forest or even Leeds for example who are trying to build a squad due to departures or being several players short of a viable Premiership squad. It can't be easy. 

It's one thing identifying them, quite another getting them. You can't buy what someone won't sell or doesn't want to come. We're probably competing against other teams and chairmen and players will no doubt string it out as long as possible to get the most money or best deal. It can't be easy or straightforward. 

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm a Brendan fan and I'm definitely Brendan in.

However (said in that unique way Brendan does), it's hard to fathom why he's said what he's said.

It's put unnecessary pressure on him and the club. Saying you want 6 new players including 2 new midfielders (which was an utterly bizarre comment by the way) and that you're going to be able to sell Vestergaard, not only is incredibly naïve, it's completely unnecessary. The level of expectation management is way way off.

It must be just complete self preservation. We'll judge it before the first game of the season but a refresh / rebuild or whatever he said just doesn't look like it's happening.

I flip flop on him a lot (no shit sherlock) but I cannot get away from history with him, he's over 3 years in to this job and like at Liverpool and Celtic, the longer he is at a club his effectiveness with the players he inherits seems to wilt (understandable) but the way in which he approaches the solution to that seems to be where he runs in to trouble.

I don't blame him necessarily for the downturn in transfer success, he plays a part but he's not picking all those players, no way. He quickly decides when they are shit though which is a positive and a negative and is why we have yet more deadwood to seemingly clear. He'll ramp up his frustrations publicly too, he did this at Liverpool and Celtic on not being backed and that's then the beginning of the end, whether it's by us binning him or him looking for an out. Hopefully the latter and he still gets us a modicum of success whilst he does it, we'll actually more preferable is that he rights the wrongs we have and does rebuild us properly over these next 2 summers but I'm doubtful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I honestly think if you watch a Brendan Rodgers team you can predict how the games going to go after ten minutes or so. We either immediately look to control games and then usually go on to win… or completely the opposite. 

There IS a lack of mental toughness in the team I think. Where, if we start badly we rarely look like we can turn it around.

Some games… we just play the opposition off the park with Tielemans looking up for it and orchestrating the midfield.

Such a Jekyll and Hyde side…

I mean the amount of points we threw away last season and the amount of points we won from losing positions in the other 2.5 years before then I'd say that we've never really been a team you can predict. Not that throwing points away is good but last season there was almost no situation where we were comfortable so the lack of mental strength seems shattered.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I flip flop on him a lot (no shit sherlock) but I cannot get away from history with him, he's over 3 years in to this job and like at Liverpool and Celtic, the longer he is at a club his effectiveness with the players he inherits seems to wilt (understandable) but the way in which he approaches the solution to that seems to be where he runs in to trouble.

I don't blame him necessarily for the downturn in transfer success, he plays a part but he's not picking all those players, no way. He quickly decides when they are shit though which is a positive and a negative and is why we have yet more deadwood to seemingly clear. He'll ramp up his frustrations publicly too, he did this at Liverpool and Celtic on not being backed and that's then the beginning of the end, whether it's by us binning him or him looking for an out. Hopefully the latter and he still gets us a modicum of success whilst he does it, we'll actually more preferable is that he rights the wrongs we have and does rebuild us properly over these next 2 summers but I'm doubtful.

You get the sense this could be a pivotal season. Can definitely see a scenario where we move Brendan on if results are underwhelming.

The rebuild / refresh / healthy shake-up talk will definitely be used as a stick to beat him if we start slow.

That said our first XI is solid. If he settles on a system and sorts out our set piece problem it wouldn’t surprise me if we start ok.

• Like 1

I think Tielemans is the only one who will go who he wants to keep. Seems like the squad players will be binned who are disposable.

Improving the squad is the thing, a fit first team is fine with the right wing the only uncertain area (centre mid too if Tielemans goes but we may cover that).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

You get the sense this could be a pivotal season. Can definitely see a scenario where we move Brendan on if results are underwhelming.

The rebuild / refresh / healthy shake-up talk will definitely be used as a stick to beat him if we start slow.

That said our first XI is solid. If he settles on a system and sorts out our set piece problem it wouldn’t surprise me if we start ok.

It’s also decisive for him. Without a decent season, I don’t see a job for him which is a step up and his career probably fizzles out to us winning the Cup being his greatest achievement 

5 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm a Brendan fan and I'm definitely Brendan in.

However (said in that unique way Brendan does), it's hard to fathom why he's said what he's said.

It's put unnecessary pressure on him and the club. Saying you want 6 new players including 2 new midfielders (which was an utterly bizarre comment by the way) and that you're going to be able to sell Vestergaard, not only is incredibly naïve, it's completely unnecessary. The level of expectation management is way way off.

It must be just complete self preservation. We'll judge it before the first game of the season but a refresh / rebuild or whatever he said just doesn't look like it's happening.

It is possible to both support him and applaud his achievements and say that he's a bit of a remorseless self-promoter and lies to the fans.

It doesn't need to be complete and total support at all costs.

He's spun this narrative of a rebuild to curry himself favour and try to paint the board poorly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It is possible to both support him and applaud his achievements and say that he's a bit of a remorseless self-promoter and lies to the fans.

Care to share some examples? 

It doesn't need to be complete and total support at all costs.

100% 

He's spun this narrative of a rebuild to curry himself favour and try to paint the board poorly.

Impressive mind reading.

You could be right, but you could be a just as wrong, and nobody will ever know. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 13:13, Fox92 said:

I get that and I do accept we've been poor to watch at times.

I don't go to games to be "entertained" though personally, if I want a consistent entertaining performance every week then I certainly wouldn't watch football.

But my main point is people will say "oh we've been poor for xxx months". Which I can accept, but in that time winning the FA Cup and Comminity Sheild just shows we've been poor but still managed to win those trophies.

We certainly were not poor the season we won the F.A cup and finishing just outside the champions league spot. What most people allude too is our last season , which was indeed poor by previous seasons under Rodgers. ok we can all agree injuries played a major part of that regression, but even when we had players back from injury the style of football was dire and negative. These tactics can only have come from the manager and it was both boring and unwatchable. 

What most fans are worried about is not so much players or lack of signings it's whether Rodgers will continue with his over cautious tippy tappy  possession style of play. We all know it does not work , as proved last season. If he doesn't change his attitude towards how we play this season  then even 8th spot would be gratefully accepted.

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

24 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think a lot of clubs would overlook that due to the good he has done here. Maybe not get a top 6 job (Arsenal is a possibility, at a push) but would definitely get another PL club that is a similar size to us. 

Yes and I'm sure another PL club would get that initial bounce out of him but just like Liverpool and us he wanes after a few seasons and the fans see through him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Well with regards the lying to fans - there's always an element of subterfuge and chicanery in what he says. 'I haven't even heard of this competition' is a great example of a bare faced lie that is designed to characterise him as some super-manager. No WAY he hadn't heard of a competition that basically every football fan in the land had heard of. 

Also the exceedingly arrogant 'Leicester were just happy to stay in the league before I arrived'. A huge lie - it simply isn't true. It's a falsehood he's trotting out because he wants to elevate his stature using the perception of ours. It's not true. It's a lie.

Is that it, hardly watergate!

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

With reference to his narrative building for self-preservation. This isn't mind reading. This is a inference and judgement based on his character within football. You might not share it but there's a whole body of supporters - Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic, and ours - who can see his PR behavior in full swing and are prepared to accept the successes on the pitch whilst also pointing out the bloke is slipperier than the xxon valdeze. 

Is is when you suggest thing like he's 'trying to paint the board poorly'. 

To be honest I tend to switch off when managers speak, whether it was Rodgers, Pearson or O'Neill. 

• Like 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Is that it, hardly watergate!

It's lying none-the-less. It's tactical untruths designed to characterise himself. These are the two examples that sprung immediately to mind but there are more. It's not Watergate, no, but then he's a manager of a football club who play football. It's entertainment. But the fact he's a demonstrable liar does go some way in generating a character of him. The fact that there are two immediate and hyperbolic examples isn't pure chance. 

Your second point I'm not sure what, quite, you're driving at but he uses his media facing persona to undermine the club he's working at in order to further the advantages and prospects of Brendan Rodgers. That's fair enough - there are many careerists - but I'm going to continue pointing it out because, again, it generates a character.

As fans of the football club Rodgers is managing you will enjoy the football and success but you should understand that the man isn't genuine and that the things he says exist within grey areas of reality. 

This slated 'rebuild' is a great example of that. I don't trust him. The man lies to protect his reputation. The rebuild is likely, to me, to be a figment of his imagination designed to protect his legacy. One thing is for certain - this board have always backed us when we've needed them and they've demonstrated, bar Sven, real integrity and perception in manager selection. If they're not backing Brendan - and it looks to be this way - then I trust them above and beyond a man who has lied to protect his reputation.

All of the above does not detract from the fact I admire his successes at the club. 

2 hours ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Yes and I'm sure another PL club would get that initial bounce out of him but just like Liverpool and us he wanes after a few seasons and the fans see through him.

Pretty common, most PL managers have a 2.5-3 year shelf life, BR is 5th longest serving manager, I would be surprise if one of him or Hasenhuttl doesn't lose their job this season.

urgen Klopp

Liverpool

Oct 8, 2015

6 years, 189 days

Pep Guardiola

Man City

Jul 1, 2016

5 years, 288 days

Thomas Frank

Brentford

Oct 16, 2018

3 years, 181 days

Ralph Hasenhuttl

Southampton

Dec 5, 2018

3 years, 130 days

Brendan Rodgers

Leicester

Feb 26, 2019

3 years, 47 days

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Pretty common, most PL managers have a 2.5-3 year shelf life, BR is 5th longest serving manager, I would be surprise if one of him or Hasenhuttl doesn't lose there job this season.

urgen Klopp

Liverpool

Oct 8, 2015

6 years, 189 days

Pep Guardiola

Man City

Jul 1, 2016

5 years, 288 days

Thomas Frank

Brentford

Oct 16, 2018

3 years, 181 days

Ralph Hasenhuttl

Southampton

Dec 5, 2018

3 years, 130 days

Brendan Rodgers

Leicester

Feb 26, 2019

3 years, 47 days

Surprised Hasenhuttl has lasted this long

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The football wasn't dire when players returned though, it improved without a doubt, especially in the last few games. Furthermore, if that was his attitude towards style of play and "his ideal", so to speak, surely we would have played the way we did for most of last season in his first two seasons in charge? Not only that, but our finishing position and how far we got in Europe meant we actually met the general expectation for a club of our sort of size, despite the adversity and some fans opinion on the style of football. 

We scored 13 goals in our last four games. I know the competition wasn't great, but that's never stopped us from blowing it before (example, the two Everton games). I know people like to talk about Rodgers "style" being sideways and backwards passing, but I was sitting directly behind him for one of the cup matches (Brighton, I think), and he spend half the match screaming at Hamza to stop passing it backwards. It certainly not what he wants ... not saying he has done what is necessary to change things, but it's not some kind of "ideal" for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest said:

I hope I'm alive to see the day Leicester fans' cultural aversion to possession football ends

doubt it, we have this obsession with being an underdog, playing unattractive football and rifling a ball up the field, with hope  someones head connects to it. surprised they havent thought about throwing vestergard in the leo ulluoa role yet tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

I think some of Rodgers' problems with regards to getting fans on side is that a lot of them don't watch or understand modern football in general and how it is played. They think that tactics, media handling and transfers are the same as they were 20 years ago. 

Would be mega if he came out and said this.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I'm sure he'd love to, because it's true, but it wouldn't do him any favours with that section of the support. 

Are you suggesting that brendan is first class at these modern competencies ?  Not sure looking at his weaknesses.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The football wasn't dire when players returned though, it improved without a doubt, especially in the last few games. Furthermore, if that was his attitude towards style of play and "his ideal", so to speak, surely we would have played the way we did for most of last season in his first two seasons in charge? Not only that, but our finishing position and how far we got in Europe meant we actually met the general expectation for a club of our sort of size, despite the adversity and some fans opinion on the style of football. 

The football was indeed dire even when we had the key players back. Look at who we played in the last ten games and the relative positions they held in the league ? As for how far we got in Europe have you forgot we bombed out of the Europa league and ended up in a made up drop down competition designed just to make more money? and even then with a real chance of reaching the final he buggered it all up with his slow slow tippy Tappy gutless performance that had us all wincing? 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I'm sure he'd love to, because it's true, but it wouldn't do him any favours with that section of the support. 

Section? I think the majority of fans have rumbled him already. your memory of some of the most boring football I've seen down here since he became manger may be dimmed but most of us haven't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1