Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He's certainly good enough for us, put it that way. 

Mmmm. Not sure.

He is a very good manager  .... but we've had the good and now all we have are his blindspots.  If he was wise he would have a close team to compensate for his blindspots.... but this doesnt seem to be the case.  With the right guys around him he could move us forward.  Yet I feel he is always jockeying for the next job.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Tbh I've done this debate so many times I'm getting bored of it. This is basically a summary: 

Last season was okay, could have been better, but we were decimated by injuries.

Rodgers doesn't need to prove anything, he already has, I don't understand why our fans are so flippant with him or what the expectation is that someone else is going to do any better. 

Our fan base have some ridiculous expectations. 

The football isn't actually as bad as what people think - this is how the modern game is played. If it doesn't entertain you, either support a team that will play that old-fashioned style in the lower leagues or a side at the top who can optimise that style of play, or don't pay to go to football and find something that does entertain you.

Basically, I'm a bit fed up of this debate over Rodgers - like all managers, players or humans in general, he has weaknesses, but it shouldn't even really be a debate. Did anyone really think that after the two 5ths and FA Cup win that our progress would be linear and we would keep ascending up the table and immediately win more trophies? If you did, you're extremely naive. It's a process, we will bounce between the top and middle of the league - there is no need to panic or go into hysterics. 

Also, anyone turning their nose up to a Conference League semi-final or losing over two legs against a very good Roma side managed by one of the best managers of all time, really needs a reality check. 

You are good at polishing turds I'll give you that. I'm also bored with you defending the undefinable without creditable facts. you are trying to tell people they did not se with their own eyes just had bad Rodgers tactics were last season particularly un Europe where he was outthought time and again where it really mattered. And you accuse me of being naïve?

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Us, as in Leicester City Football Club, and to get as close to qualifying for Europe as possible. Anything that isn't too far off of 7th is acceptable, 7th and above is success. The odd good cup run in there as well, but not a necessity. 

Wow just wow. Aim low and you will be. Thank goodness most of us don't think that way in particular the owners.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

What's your expectations then? I don't see how my expectations are low - they're realistic. 

There are no limits. imagine if when we first reached the 40 points mark under Ranieri he and the team said to themselves , well we can relax now and assured of Premier league survival we  will just coast it  , because that's all the fans will expect? No he said Dream you are allowed to dream. He did not say" lets be realistic " did he? So yes unless you still think we can Win The F.A cup  have a tilt at the title and once again get into the Champions league , then your expectations are way to low. I don't " expect" but I sure as hell think with our owners it's still possible for any of that to happen. I don't accept mid table mediocrity as long as our  fantastic owners don't. 

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Why engage in debate with me then? lol Obviously you know that isn't true. And re accusing you of being naive, you're admitting to expecting us to carrying on an upwards trend then? Come on, there was always going to be a bump along the road, not everything goes straight up, it's okay though, we've seen what this set of players can do under Rodgers in the past and without Europe, I imagine we'll have a much better domestic campaign in 22/23. 

Why do you engage with debate then? I'm happy to debate with you. you don't resort to name calling and I know you have a valid opinion. It's what makes this site so good. We both love the club and that's what really matters.  And that goes beyond differing opinions. we can agreed to differ can't we ?:thumbup:

Can we all just be banned talking about last season/Rodgers pros and cons?

I think we’re all very firmly in a camp (Rodgers in/out etc) and we’re chewing over the same old fat with no new material to even budge someone else’s views.

Let’s all talk about Love Island or something 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

You can't ask me "what are your expectations?", let me give a valid answer, and then say "there are no limits". Of course there are no limits, it's sport, if you're in a competition then you have a chance of finishing anywhere within it, but you still have a probable expectation of where you are going to finish. 

Btw, I'd love to win the FA Cup again, and yeah that is definitely possible and achievable, but to have another go at the title? Really? You're going to be disappointed. Champions League football is a dream as well, but a possible one. Only issue is that there are 6 teams who should definitely finish above us every season with their financial clout and reputation, and it will soon become 7th. but yes, anything is possible. 

Let me rephrase, what would be an acceptable, or a realistic target for next season? 

Unrealistically I would like Rodgers to be gone . I feel this season is going to be more of the same , with us sliding into a  mid table doldrum and them it becomes the norm  for both the owners and fans alike. I feel Rodgers is not the one to either take us forward or stop the slide. So yes my expectations are on hold as long as he is the manager.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I said engage in debate because you replied to my comment, but yeah of course we can, and it's not my intention to create enemies, but I haven't resorted to name calling either - so I don't know where that's come from? The naive comment? That's just my opinion on yours and others expectations of the football club, not them as human beings. I apologise if you took any offence to it, though. 

Please read again I said you DON'T resort to name calling.:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Can we all just be banned talking about last season/Rodgers pros and cons?

I think we’re all very firmly in a camp (Rodgers in/out etc) and we’re chewing over the same old fat with no new material to even budge someone else’s views.

Let’s all talk about Love Island or something 😉

Now your talking . I'll ask the missus what's going on.

43 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

get as close to qualifying for Europe as possible. Anything that isn't too far off of 7th is acceptable, 7th and above is success. The odd good cup run in there as well, but not a necessity. 

I broadly agree, I'd just dial it up a little bit.

A great season for me would include 2nd-tier European qualification via league finish and a decent cup run.

A domestic cup win would be an acceptable alternative, coupled with ~8th place.

CL qualification should be the target for the club, but would constitute wild delivery over expectation for me.

What do I think will actually happen? Probably closer to your assessment, but without European competition next season I'd really expect us to challenge in the cups.

Finishing outside the top 8 with a weak showing in the domestic cups would be disappointing as far as I'm concerned. For multitudinous reasons I think we've performed below our potential in recent seasons, and a poor finish in 2022/3 would confirm a downward trend in Rodgers' ability to reach that potential.

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Last season was okay, could have been better, but we were decimated by injuries. Which wouldn’t have been so much of a problem had our five (count them) new signings added quality defensive depth. 

Rodgers

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Our fan base have some ridiculous expectations. Or …our fan base recognise our club has an historically high level of financial backing and don’t want this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity wasted because of a spurious comparison with our long history of punching way below our weight. 

The football isn't actually as bad as what people think - this is how the modern game is played. If it doesn't entertain you, either support a team that will play that old-fashioned style in the lower leagues or a side at the top who can optimise this style of play, or don't pay to go to football and find something that does entertain you. This is a false binary - entertaining or modern? Are Moyes’ West Ham modern, or entertaining? I’d say they’re both and they’ve overtaken us. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Us, as in Leicester City Football Club, and to get as close to qualifying for Europe as possible. Anything that isn't too far off of 7th is acceptable, 7th and above is success. The odd good cup run in there as well, but not a necessity. 

It's the mode of play

1 hour ago, Jacnah said:

It seems clear what your view is and your perfectly entitled to it. This is all subjective afterall.

Here's mine fwiw: I think Rogers has done a more than a pretty good job and is actually a very good manager. Two of the best three league finishes in the clubs history, the first FA cup the club has ever won, the charity shield and a european competition semi final. Yes last year was disappointing and the football at times truly turgid, but we must consider the exceptional and prolonged injury issues he and the team had to accommodate. We simply don't have the depth of squad necessary to absorb that and neither to any but the biggest, richest, clubs. As far as the summer transfer window is concerned then it's not all in the power of the club, let alone Rogers, to just make it all happen.Im sure all are busting a gut trying to get deals across the line, but there are clearly complex dependencies involving different clubs, players, agents and funds. I'm not sure he ever 'promised' a summer rebuild - more "we need to rebuild" which is not the same thing (I'll stand corrected if I'm  wrong on that) and it was probably an error by him to say it but bourne of exasperation and, dare i say, deflection. He's not perfect for sure, but that doesn't make him bad or imply he's not the best available option for us.

Fair comment. I suppose we won't really know how it's going to go until the transfer window is closed and if we see a new way of playing. I really hope I'm wrong and it's just my old pessimism born out of supporting the club  for so long.:thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

“For us, our focus is very much on the summer window. We know we need to make big changes to freshen up the squad and the planning is well under way for that.” 

On the evidence so far this appears to be untrue - unless the plans had to change? (Failure to qualify for Europe? Loss of Congerton and failure to replace him? FFP? )

Here are his comments after the Forest game.

“…in derby games you need authority and you need physicality. It was sadly missing from our performance. I said it before about having changes in the squad. It’s a lack of hunger. That’s why a lot of these players are not top players. Because they can’t sustain it. “

Ward, Justin Thomas  Amartey Soyuncu Tielemans NDidi Barnes Lookman Maddison Ihenacho - the Forest starting line up. Is that side really too weak to compete with Championship opposition? The glaring weakness is at centre back but they were our first choice back up defenders and we signed five new players (and lost none) in the summer of 2021.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

That’s a great post - good to get so much detail …but it does show some of the underlying cracks in the points he made ..

• Like 2

On 06/07/2022 at 11:35, Cardiff_Fox said:

When we get there and I’d say the same thing. Don’t like the criticism of individuals for an opinion.

The bit I don’t get with you and Filbertway you’ve both been open enough to say you don’t watch us regularly - you through choice and Filbert cos he follows Coalville a fair bit. Yet you both spend considerable amount of time with an opinion on Rodgers. I’d rather save the energy like but that’s me. 

Understood

Im out of love with the game pretty much. I want to love it, but can’t under the turgid football we’ve been served up since lockdown. That’s why it ‘offends’ me so much 

Just listened to the ‘reconnecting with our culture’ interview. Absolute comedy gold.