Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Larry_LCFC said:

As I said in the Notts County thread, anyone that thinks the 22/23 season is going to see some miraculous transformation of the horrendous football we've seen served up by BR is seriously clutching at straws. The Celtic fans warned us what to expect and he is living up to it.

We have been deteriorating slowly as he has implemented and reinforced his slow, boring possession football over the seasons. 

I fully expect another season of laboured performances, horrendous defending and sleep enducing performances mixed in with the occasional win.

And if this is the case then I can actually see him getting the bullet, especially if we don’t see some sort of improvement in performances coming up to Christmas. Make or break season for him.

We can’t genuinely get worked up EITHER way about Brendan after today…come on everyone.

It was our first pre-season friendly with 22 players picking up some much needed match fitness.

As for Rodgers bizarre comments, it’s exactly just that more bizarre comments, it’s taken me this long to realise he’s a bit odd BUT I loved Pearson and Ranieri and they were famous for some odd quotes themselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

We can’t genuinely get worked up EITHER way about Brendan after today…come on everyone.

It was our first pre-season friendly with 22 players picking up some much needed match fitness.

As for Rodgers bizarre comments, it’s exactly just that more bizarre comments, it’s taken me this long to realise he’s a bit odd BUT I loved Pearson and Ranieri and they were famous for some odd quotes themselves.

It’s not after today though is it? It’s after 2 years of dross football. 

How many occasions do people say ‘you can’t get worked up about that result’?

When its just another straw on the camels back? 

Some people can’t see the wood through the trees, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Notts Co

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

And if this is the case then I can actually see him getting the bullet, especially if we don’t see some sort of improvement in performances coming up to Christmas. Make or break season for him.

Cut him loose

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

As I said in the Notts County thread, anyone that thinks the 22/23 season is going to see some miraculous transformation of the horrendous football we've seen served up by BR is seriously clutching at straws. The Celtic fans warned us what to expect and he is living up to it.

We have been deteriorating slowly as he has implemented and reinforced his slow, boring possession football over the seasons. 

I fully expect another season of laboured performances, horrendous defending and sleep enducing performances mixed in with the occasional win.

I doubt the actual football itself will change but I think that having less football will mean less rotation and hopefully less injuries, which means being able to put out our strongest teams more often and meaning we should actually be able to pick up some better results in the league than last season

For such seemingly crap football it still doesn’t stop us putting the ball in the net more than most other teams / more than we have ever usually done in the Prem either

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s not after today though is it? It’s after 2 years of dross football. 

How many occasions do people say ‘you can’t get worked up about that result’?

When its just another straw on the camels back? 

Some people can’t see the wood through the trees, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Notts Co

Ohhh, I’m not a Rodgers fan boy…I’ve had quite a few debates on here about my disdain for him BUT today is definitely not another straw.

I hate glossing over pre-season performances and results but I can’t ever think of a season where we’ve blown sides away in many let alone the first one back….it’s all about getting back on the grass in a match environment and working up some levels of fitness, trying out formations/partnerships across the 10 outfield players etc etc.

Edited by SafewayFox

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

I doubt the actual football itself will change but I think that having less football will mean less rotation and hopefully therefore less injuries, which means being able to put out our strongest teams means we should actually be able to pick up some better results in the league than last season

For such seemingly crap football it still doesn’t stop us putting the ball in the net more than most other teams / more than we have ever usually done in the Prem either

Horrendous football, that scores loads of goals and even in a horrendous season finishes 8th.

Which Everton, villa and Newcastle have and will all spend millions trying to emulate....

Good grief we're entitled 

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

Ohhh, I’m not a Rodgers fan boy…I’ve had quite a few debates on here about my disdain for him BUT today is definitely not another straw.

I hate glossing over pre-season performances and results but I can’t ever think of a season where we’ve blown sides away in many let alone the first one back….it’s all about getting back on the grass in a match environment and working up some levels of fitness, trying out formations/partnerships across the 10 outfield players etc etc.

No, I’m thinking more of his rebuild comments today. They’re absolutely brilliant when you think of his comments about our players v Forest away.  

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I doubt the actual football itself will change but I think that having less football will mean less rotation and hopefully less injuries, which means being able to put out our strongest teams means we should actually be able to pick up some better results in the league than last season

Yeah, we still have a very good attack that will score a good amount of goals. If the results are better then I don't see the owners worrying about the style of play.

It's going to take a lot for him to go.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, The Year Of The Fox said:

No, I’m thinking more of his rebuild comments today. They’re absolutely brilliant when you think of his comments about our players v Forest away.  

Have a day off.

8 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Sorry, I mis-interpreted that but mate BUT my point remains to my first comment….it’s taken me too long to realise it but Brendan’s comfidence/communication style is just a bit odd.

Let’s face it….we all enjoyed his quirky comments when we’re doing well.

Do I want to see more attacking, high pressing football than last season? 100% 

But with hopefully a more settled side, the players can pick up some momentum, Evans/Fofana as a CB pairing is up there outside of Man City/Liverpool as an example.

Throw in Ndidi hopefully going back to his boss ways….as he looked labored 90% of games last season to me at DM and we’ve got a very solid foundation.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

Genuine question to those wanting him out... do you want him to turn it around and do well here, or is he too far gone for you?

Edit - Turn around an 8th place finish lol But obviously that's not good enough...

Edited by Craig

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Genuine question to those wanting him out... do you want him to turn it around and do well here, or is he too far gone for you?

Edit - Turn around an 8th place finish lol But obviously that's not good enough...

Real question is who is the alternative to Brendan? Who is realistically attainable and going to take us forward with the current squad & funds.

No one. 

Yes we've had crap spells but he's finished 5 twice and won us the FA cup FFS. 

He gets a fair crack this season no doubt.

• Like 2

Today was a nothing friendly against Notts County and we just took whoever we had available, right? Right?

Rodgers is starting the season with us. What’s the point of going through the same arguments now?

It’s summer, there will be plenty to talk about Brendan Rodgers once the season starts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

I want him to, but the two things that he's a weakness with - injuries and set pieces I think will hold us back. To think we had a calamitous season last season, conceded over 20 goals from set pieces, threw away 15+ points from winning positions in the final 5-10 minutes of matches and had a diabolical injury record and yet still weren't that far off Europe.

You can look at it two ways, 1) that things weren't that bad last season or 2) we have a very good group of players by and large (x 2 5th place finishes and an FA Cup prove that) so it would actually be extremely difficult not to finish top 10 and yet it was fine margins in that cluster of teams bit we ended the season well.

I hope he sorts the set piece issue, I think there's too much emotional baggage and teetering on a crisis though to do it easily. He's got to really take it seriously because it's a disgrace.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig said:

I can’t believe that I’m going to say this but now last season isn’t so raw….I think I was very over critical of Brendan.

He can’t have had a complete personality transplant and enjoyed playing such sideways turgid football but may have thought with the players available to him…it was the best route to go.

So, in answering to your question - there CANNOT be any acceptance for poor player management leading to injuries (or rushing players back too soon), he needs to show some humility and “not put his head in the sand like an ostrich” about glaring faults like set-pieces which he is paid to improve.

He sorts/does the above  things and we’re in the top half of the table whilst playing with a high press and less of that sideways shit and I’d take it…we’d be mad not to wouldn’t we?!

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Horrendous football, that scores loads of goals and even in a horrendous season finishes 8th.

Which Everton, villa and Newcastle have and will all spend millions trying to emulate....

Good grief we're entitled 

Bit of a misconception everyone going on about goals scored, coincidentally Brendan mentioned that to Danny Simpson when talking about the full back positions in the interview post match.

What seems to be forgotten is the 6th worst defensive record including shipping 6 more than Burnley who were relegated 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I want him to, but the two things that he's a weakness with - injuries and set pieces I think will hold us back. To think we had a calamitous season last season, conceded over 20 goals from set pieces, threw away 15+ points from winning positions in the final 5-10 minutes of matches and had a diabolical injury record and yet still weren't that far off Europe.

You can look at it two ways, 1) that things weren't that bad last season or 2) we have a very good group of players by and large (x 2 5th place finishes and an FA Cup prove that) so it would actually be extremely difficult not to finish top 10 and yet it was fine margins in that cluster of teams bit we ended the season well.

I hope he sorts the set piece issue, I think there's too much emotional baggage and teetering on a crisis though to do it easily. He's got to really take it seriously because it's a disgrace.

I agree with this regarding the set piece issue.

For me, we as a club have two real glaring issues that have been issues for too long now - the set piece issue and the lack of threat wide right.

It's his job to sort out the set piece issue - in both boxes. He has enough time and he'll have his first choice defence from the start (touch wood) this year. If we have some poor results to start with that are a result of that, then he would only have himself to blame if he got the boot.

But the club also have to help him out in terms of bringing in a threat wide right. It would make such a difference going forwards to have a threat both sides. I'm pretty sure we would be a completely different side. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ric.... its not just the set pieces...its the style of play.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Bit of a misconception everyone going on about goals scored, coincidentally Brendan mentioned that to Danny Simpson when talking about the full back positions in the interview post match.

What seems to be forgotten is the 6th worst defensive record including shipping 6 more than Burnley who were relegated 

Why is that a misconception?

Everyone knows defensively we were horrendous but a lot better when fofana and Evans were back 

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Why is that a misconception?

Everyone knows defensively we were horrendous but a lot better when fofana and Evans were back 

Because that’s all anyone talks about, we scored x amount of goals last season as a positive. As I said he even said it in his interview, when Simpson was talking about the full backs starting position BR said we were one of the best attacking teams and we want to improve on that.

Funnily enough no questions asked on 2 more set pieces and the defensive frailties last year.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, HankMarvin said:

Because that’s all anyone talks about, we scored x amount of goals last season as a positive. As I said he even said it in his interview, when Simpson was talking about the full backs starting position BR said we were one of the best attacking teams and we want to improve on that.

Funnily enough no questions asked on 2 more set pieces and the defensive frailties last year.

Did you expect Danny Simpson to pick him up by the throat and demand that his defenders kill the opposition in the box?

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Ric.... its not just the set pieces...its the style of play.

The style of play for the majority of the times he's been here has been fine by me. The laboured possession and lack of movement we saw more and more last season has to improve, likewise playing quicker and more energetic with a collective press like we do when we play well. 

• Like 1