Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

My boss would be fuming if I made a comment about the place treading water and not having any ambition until I arrived. 

Rightly so. 

...the way that comment was made, did make me wince and you wondered if he had lost his mind, or was it a pushback against the club!!!

The possibility that conversations between Rodgers and Top would be, ".. what can we realistically expect for the coming season...  and what budget was avaliable in order to meet the expectation." 

We are aware of the monies and loans for infrastructure and Top would have a longterm plan, where staying in this league was essential for a certain period of time. If we were then to imagine Rodgers take away from that conversation being,...." stay in the league and go hard in the cups. " being his remit, then his comments would make sense. 

I would suspect he is fulfilling his remit but supporters with aspirations are never going to accept an image of the club that his comment portrayed.

34 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I wonder how many Rodgers type excuses I could get away with at work before my bosses found me out and realised I’ve just been blagging them for ages 🤷🏻‍♂️

Obviously quite a few. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Was Puel divisive amongst the fans? Didn't everyone hate him 😂

I didn't. Thought he did an admirable job in a difficult period for the club. Performances were pretty dire (similar to last season) but he did good things for the club imo 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the way that comment was made, did make me wince and you wondered if he had lost his mind, or was it a pushback against the club!!!

The possibility that conversations between Rodgers and Top would be, ".. what can we realistically expect for the coming season...  and what budget was avaliable in order to meet the expectation." 

We are aware of the monies and loans for infrastructure and Top would have a longterm plan, where staying in this league was essential for a certain period of time. If we were then to imagine Rodgers take away from that conversation being,...." stay in the league and go hard in the cups. " being his remit, then his comments would make sense. 

I would suspect he is fulfilling his remit but supporters with aspirations are never going to accept an image of the club that his comment portrayed.

I thought at the time that we as fans knew we had loftier ambitions than just being in the PL and not going down. But apparently not. 

42 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I wonder how many Rodgers type excuses I could get away with at work before my bosses found me out and realised I’ve just been blagging them for ages 🤷🏻‍♂️

In my experience, loads if the results of the person were good. The 'results being good' seem to be dividing topic amongst the Leicester fan base. However I understand how why to Top etc. them results are deemed good enough. 

On 09/07/2022 at 16:39, FoxyLeon said:

"Reconnect with our Culture" is just more proof of him taking the piss out of all those who are delusional enough to back him.

He's the man who ruined our Culture....

He's the man who brought in Congerton to replace a recruitment culture that was the envy of Europe....

He's the man who has brought division amongst the fans that we haven't seen under this ownership.

Funnily enough Congerton has just joined a club whom have a recruitment policy/culture that is the envy of Europe 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I didn't. Thought he did an admirable job in a difficult period for the club. Performances were pretty dire (similar to last season) but he did good things for the club imo 

Oh yeah performances were very dull, but agree that he was clearly given an objective to do a bit of a rebuild which went fairly well. Although the treatment of some existing players left a lot to be desired though.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Oh yeah performances were very dull, but agree that he was clearly given an objective to do a bit of a rebuild which went fairly well. Although the treatment of some existing players left a lot to be desired though.

Yeah there was no longevity in it whatsoever. I've said before but I don't think the long term manager model particularly works anymore. Obviously you have exceptions like Pep and Klopp but in the main I think after 3 or 4 years a new voice is needed 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I thought at the time that we as fans knew we had loftier ambitions than just being in the PL and not going down. But apparently not. 

...I  would say pushing for top 6 would be the minimum we should be looking at!!!

One game a week is a big platform for us to challenge for the upcoming season, I do not believe anyone at the time saw those comments as something they were aligned with. It was an afront when I read it, thought he had lost his mind.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  would say pushing for top 6 would be the minimum we should be looking at!!!

One game a week is a big platform for us to challenge for the upcoming season, I do not believe anyone at the time saw those comments as something they were aligned with. It was an afront when I read it, thought he had lost his mind.

Have we had a financial takeover from an oil baron? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’ve never bought into this rebuild rubbish, ever. He clearly said it to cover his own backside. 
I’ve got much more faith in the players than I have the gaffer. 23 players don’t suddenly become crap overnight. It’s always been down to how they’ve been managed and the constraints placed upon the team on matchdays. 

And we’ve not got any injured players because we’ve not played a proper game yet 😂

Not true on that last statement I'm afraid....

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Not really

It probably gets overlooked but I’ve said several times that he’s been good for leicester overall. Nobody can say differently. He also gave me the best day of my life at Wembley. 

That doesn’t mean that I think he’s right for us any more, nor that I have to like him as a person (from how he portrays himself- obviously I don’t know him personally) 

Think that's about right.  

Is he overpaid, yes - bit of initial upturn and the Arsenal interest got him a very good pay rise.

Sadly he's quite conservative as a default, which I think is a major fault and generally makes subs my the clock (i.e. 60 mins, like he's playing FPL!!)  Though one of the few times he was positive and timely was half time subs at Eindhoven away that changed the match & gave me a stunning away day.  I wish he would learn from that!!

Made a number of big errors, Bourmemouth A & Stoke @ home were car crashes and cost us a ECL spot.  Probably blew it the next season as well.

But 2 5ths and the Cup win are very good, last season was a let down but the Conference League was a ride, loved it.

Bit of a soundbites merchant, which doesn't endear and lacks some honesty, when interviewed.

The point I always say is, is there someone guaranteed to be better till we see a lengthy spell of underperformance?  The answer for me is probably not.

But this is a big season for us, no doubt, the competition in that 5-10th area has increased, West Ham, Palace, Wolves, Brighton, Villa, probably Newcastle & the worst of the "bigger 6".  We need to be in the top 2 of that group as for me a cup final or European slot end of next season are a minimum requirement.

Unless we turn a corner and are amazing in the next 3-5 years, he is probably past halfway in his Leicester career, but he'll do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Too many people put too much stock in what a manager says; the constant need to over analyse every word or soundbite has been driven by the media's need for more content. 

Rodgers, PL 5th,5th, 8th, FA Cup win, at minimum a semi-final every full season he has been here. (Before that, we had 1 in 20 years!)

The best win Ratio is 47.92 by any LCFC manager who managed more than 5 games. 

Most PL win by any Leicester Manager (57), second is O'Neill (53), but in 152 games compared to Rodgers, 124

Can he talk crap? Yes!

Can he be a Nob? 100%

Has he made mistakes? Yes! 

Has the football been dire at times? Yes

Is he a good football manager doing a good job? Ultimately YES!

Just what I said, perfect resume.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We'll go round and round in circles here though as there's always an element of a fan base that predict a downward spiral won't be turned around much earlier than the majority whom take longer to lose faith.

All of what you say is true, it cannot be denied even when we've fallen at the last hurdle domestically to run a lot of the success with what could and should have been.

It's quite simple though, the current state of us most recently is the following and if we don't improve on these then what's happened in his first 2.5 seasons here will become less and less relevant.

Do we have a chronic crisis at defending set pieces, breaking PL records along the way? YES

Do we have a horrendous injury record spanning more than 18 months? YES

Do we have a mental weakness at seeing out results in the last 10 minutes of games that cost us over 15 points last season and European football? YES

Do we have a storm brewing where we've 10+ first team players who's contracts are expiring in less than a year and a concern we don't have the £100-200m it would cost to replace them? Most probably YES

It's a big big season coming up, I know fans are desperate for everyone to forget last season and the capitulation in the league the year before but many won't so just fight your corner, if you still back the manager then great but others won't without signs of improvement and his bull shitting whilst in the off season won't aid things.

This is what concerns me. He's taken a good squad and got a good tune out of it most of the time. He's not done exceptionally well on the pitch and he's not really embarassed himself, over his whole time here. I think other managers could have achieved the same, some could have done better with the resources and some would have been worse. He's not really pushed us on a great deal. If he had to play Mendy instead of Tielemans every game, I'd fancy that his football would be as drab as Claudes.

How it's trending though, he will leave the club in a much worse state than it was in when he joined and that's what worries me. He's too concerned with pleasing people short term and knows that he won't be around in the long term. He'll say exactly what he needs to say to get people onside, no matter how many times he is shown up to be either in denial or just lying is staggering.

I see us being in a position where we need to sell Fofana and Madders next summer to bring in some big money and basically do what Puel did and build a new side. So many players getting too old, players contracts running low. Nobody wants to buy our players and we can't afford to add anyone to the wage bill. It's gonna be a wild 18-24 months. If we get it wrong then it's not out of the realms of possbility that we're fighting against relegation.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We'll go round and round in circles here though as there's always an element of a fan base that predict a downward spiral won't be turned around much earlier than the majority whom take longer to lose faith.

All of what you say is true, it cannot be denied even when we've fallen at the last hurdle domestically to run a lot of the success with what could and should have been.

Do you mean ruin? 

It's quite simple though, the current state of us most recently is the following and if we don't improve on these then what's happened in his first 2.5 seasons here will become less and less relevant.

Do we have a chronic crisis at defending set pieces, breaking PL records along the way? YES

Do we have a horrendous injury record spanning more than 18 months? YES

Do we have a mental weakness at seeing out results in the last 10 minutes of games that cost us over 15 points last season and European football? YES

It is a big season, not many managers, see out 4 seasons in charge. 

Does he need to address the 3 areas you mention, yes of course, can he do it, only time will tell. 

But I think he earned the right to have a go.

Do we have a storm brewing where we've 10+ first team players who's contracts are expiring in less than a year and a concern we don't have the £100-200m it would cost to replace them? Most probably YES

Interestingly a lot of fans have it in for Rodgers about stating we need a rebuild, but actually, he's right, the club including Rodgers need to get a lot right with regards in and out over the next 12 months. 

It's a big big season coming up, I know fans are desperate for everyone to forget last season and the capitulation in the league the year before but many won't so just fight your corner, if you still back the manager then great but others won't without signs of improvement and his bull shitting whilst in the off season won't aid things.

No point forgetting, it is what it is, we weren't good enough to get 4th two seasons running, you finish where you deserve to finish. 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Do you mean ruin? 

It is a big season, not many managers, see out 4 seasons in charge. 

Does he need to address the 3 areas you mention, yes of course, can he do it, only time will tell. 

But I think he earned the right to have a go.

Interestingly a lot of fans have it in for Rodgers about stating we need a rebuild, but actually, he's right, the club including Rodgers need to get a lot right with regards in and out over the next 12 months. 

No point forgetting, it is what it is, we weren't good enough to get 4th two seasons running, you finish where you deserve to finish. 

Rue, not ruin

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
19 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’ll wait til we’re 10 games in and still dire to come back and laugh at the blind faith 

Why wait when you've already proved you do.....