Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm really not sure how the lack of transfer activity is Rodgers fault? It's not his job to sell the players, he can't make it happen and he has no control over finding the money to buy new ones. 

It's not his fault, not directly anyway.

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think next summer we could see quite a few younger players brought into the first team squad to try and cover off some of the players leaving

I am hoping/expecting players such as Stolarczyk, Nelson, Brunt, Braybrooke, Madivadua, Maswanhise all get loans this season, and then if they impress enough could be in and around the first team squad next season (especially Nelson and Braybrooke)

I think if he impresses enough this pre-season then there is a chance Wright will be in the 25 man squad this season, seemingly Brunt as well as has been mentioned on here (but I am not sure myself if he is quite ready)

Of those players you have spoken about being out of contract next summer I think the only ones who will definitely sign extensions are Evans (1 year) and Vardy (2 years)

I do think Soyuncu, Tielemans, and Choudhury will be gone this summer

Then Schmeichel, Bertrand, Mendy, Perez to all leave on a free next summer

Amartey is the one I am actually not too sure on!

When as you mentioned we could also see players like Vestergaard, Soumare, Praet and maybe even Iheanacho leave this summer, we could be looking at a possibly very small squad next summer

Although hopefully if we do see those 6 or 7 players leave this summer, it would at least give us a bit of money to bring in a few new players

Agreed, we need to land on at least 2 1st team ready academy players in the next 12 months. I hope this is the plan. 

Just now, Webbo said:

So why are people moaning about it in the Brendan Rodgers thread? 

In the context that Rodgers and transfers aren't a match made in heaven, certainly not en masses and we've a massive rebuild required over the next 12 months whether fans want to accept it given they don't agree with his comments last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

In the context that Rodgers and transfers aren't a match made in heaven, certainly not en masses and we've a massive rebuild required over the next 12 months whether fans want to accept it given they don't agree with his comments last season.

If that's the case, they should be glad he hasn't signed anyone, what are they moaning about? 

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If that's the case, they should be glad he hasn't signed anyone, what are they moaning about? 

Because we need new players but we have a manager who works better with players he inherits but even that will wain eventually. Its why many want him gone, I'm back on the fence.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's hope we can pull a rabbit out the hat, if there's one club that can it's us. I almost can't be that annoyed as its not so if we've done too much wrong but you have to be so proactive and so faultless in your forward planning that it all gets too much eventually. We won't always have Vardy to bail us out either.

Massive issue. 

Really need Daka to kick on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I think next summer we could see quite a few younger players brought into the first team squad to try and cover off some of the players leaving

I am hoping/expecting players such as Stolarczyk, Nelson, Brunt, Braybrooke, Madivadua, Maswanhise all get loans this season, and then if they impress enough could be in and around the first team squad next season (especially Nelson and Braybrooke)

I think if he impresses enough this pre-season then there is a chance Wright will be in the 25 man squad this season, seemingly Brunt as well as has been mentioned on here (but I am not sure myself if he is quite ready)

Of those players you have spoken about being out of contract next summer I think the only ones who will definitely sign extensions are Evans (1 year) and Vardy (2 years)

I do think Soyuncu, Tielemans, and Choudhury will be gone this summer

Then Schmeichel, Bertrand, Mendy, Perez to all leave on a free next summer

Amartey is the one I am actually not too sure on!

When as you mentioned we could also see players like Vestergaard, Soumare, Praet and maybe even Iheanacho leave this summer, we could be looking at a possibly very small squad next summer

Although hopefully if we do see those 6 or 7 players leave this summer, it would at least give us a bit of money to bring in a few new players

Only players we will miss, other are pretty much dead wood.

Edited by coolhandfox

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Massive issue. 

Really need Daka to kick on.

Agreed. Can't work out if we're causing ourselves needless issues by not playing to his strengths in a front two where he nearly always looks a threat, or he's simply got to adapt to play up top on his own otherwise he'll not make it. Probably a bit of both.

It was such a frustrating period in January through to March when Vardy was out and then we decided having only ever played Daka and Iheanacho in a front 2, to only play them on their own except for the 2nd half of that debacle at Forest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's hope we can pull a rabbit out the hat, if there's one club that can it's us. I almost can't be that annoyed as its not so if we've done too much wrong but you have to be so proactive and so faultless in your forward planning that it all gets too much eventually. We won't always have Vardy to bail us out either.

Those are my thoughts exactly mate 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Agrees. Can't work out if we're causing ourselves needless issues by not playing to his strengths in a front two where he nearly always looks a threat, or he's simply got to adapt to play up top on his own otherwise he'll not make it. Probably a bit of both.

It was such a frustrating period in January through to March when Vardy was out and then we decided having only ever played Daka and Iheanacho in a front 2, to only play them on their own except for the 2nd half of that debacle at Forest. 

Maybe with Daka seeing how he would cope?

With all the defensive issues, I'm not sure he trusted only playing two CM, and didn't trust the CBs available to play a 3 back.

Vardy has been one of the best Pl strikers in the last 7 years, he often been the different between mid-table and a relegation scrap, and mid-table and and fighting for the top 6.

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Only players we will miss, other are pretty much dead wood.

Outside of the obvious first choice / important players you mentioned, some of them even with being deadwood have still had to play a lot of games:

Mendy has 44 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Amartey has 56 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Perez has 60 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Choudhury has 34 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Hopefully IF the injury issues settle down these kind of backup players wont be needed as often so we can possibly get away with not needing as much depth like them for the upcoming seasons, but if it continues, it shows that we still may well need to replace them in some capacity (even if it using someone like Brunt, who could possibly cover 3 different positions)

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Outside of the obvious first choice / important players you mentioned, some of them even with being deadwood have still had to play a lot of games:

Mendy has 44 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Amartey has 56 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Perez has 60 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Choudhury has 34 appearances in the last 2 seasons

Hopefully IF the injury issues settle down these kind of backup players wont be needed as often so we can possibly get away with not needing as much depth like them for the upcoming seasons, but if it continues, it shows that we still may well need to replace them in some capacity (even if it using someone like Brunt, who could possibly cover 3 different positions)

I agree but I think we could replace Mendy and Choudhury with one good player, especially with no Europe.

With the number out of contract it make a rebuild easier, as you aren't stuck with them. 

5 subs hopefully give us option to blood more young players this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I am afraid to agree, I think we have had our time in the sun and now on the decline which happens with most clubs at the size of ours 

We had a set plan where we sell young talented players at a profit to pay for squad upgrades.  I think though with Rodgers the club changed in that they didnt want to force any sales on him, this has stabilised the squad but ultimately led to the current situation where we got no money to spare over our current annual wage bill.  I think to back a manager like this you need a Chelsea or Manchester City type owner or to just be a massive club with huge turnover so can afford to keep spending.  So I too feel like we have hit a peak, how far we fall before we can start the cycle again though remains to be seen.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we honestly don't have much money then it's unthinkable for us to be in a position where we don't cash in on a player for big money 2 seasons on the spin or somehow let Tielemans and Soyuncu run their contracts down.i know we can't always have it our own way but it shows our decision making has faltered and we're now in a tricky spot. 

If 75% of the players out of contract next summer go and a couple of them are key players + trying to clear the likes of Praet, Vestergaard, Soumare and having the nightmare of Ndidi, Iheanacho and possibly Maddison (although think we can be reasonably sure we have an extra year on him) then have only a year left then we're looking at needing 10+ new players and something daft like £100-150m minimum to fund it. 

That is outrageous, it could genuinely rip us apart. If Vardy, Evans and Schmeichel go too then it's breathtaking.

We are facing a monumental next 12 months with a manager who hasn't ever been part of a successful rebuild at the clubs he's made his name at. 

The good times could well be over, its very much in the balance. 

Poor recruitment always catches you up eventually. Some see it in advance, some do not.

We haven't had a great window in four years. We've had a couple of alright ones but that's it.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Poor recruitment always catches you up eventually. Some see it in advance, some do not.

We haven't had a great window in four years. We've had a couple of alright ones but that's it.

Exactly how I see it.

If you get ONE wrong, it’ll have knock-on effects cos you’ve spent decent money on rubbish that you can’t sell and you’re having to fund their salaries. 
But we’ve got plenty wrong over the last few years, starting with the calamity that was the summer transfer window following the title winning season.

The big clubs can absorb it. Eg Chelsea and Lukaku.. they’ll still go on to make key signings this summer I expect. 
But we can’t afford that luxury. We have to get it right every time.

Edited by Col city fan

25 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly how I see it.

If you get ONE wrong, it’ll have knock-on effects cos you’ve spent decent money on rubbish that you can’t sell and you’re having to fund their salaries. 
But we’ve got plenty wrong over the last few years, starting with the calamity that was the summer transfer window following the title winning season.

The big clubs can absorb it. Eg Chelsea and Lukaku.. they’ll still go on to make key signings this summer I expect. 
But we can’t afford that luxury. We have to get it right every time.

Yeah that’s true. And it can’t be done. Our historical success has been built on getting it right more often than not and buying players for practically nothing and selling them on for millions. We had a different ambition back then in terms of wanting to play or stay in the premier league and we took punts in players we hoped could make that grade... now we want players that can keep us in and break the top 6... much different calibre of player and we are swimming with the big sharks looking for pickings from the scarcer waters that have been missed or left behind. It’s a tough ask and some of our fans need a dose of realism.

21 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Too many people put too much stock in what a manager says; the constant need to over analyse every word or soundbite has been driven by the media's need for more content. 

Rodgers, PL 5th,5th, 8th, FA Cup win, at minimum a semi-final every full season he has been here. (Before that, we had 1 in 20 years!)

The best win Ratio is 47.92 by any LCFC manager who managed more than 5 games. 

Most PL win by any Leicester Manager (57), second is O'Neill (53), but in 152 games compared to Rodgers, 124

Can he talk crap? Yes!

Can he be a Nob? 100%

Has he made mistakes? Yes! 

Has the football been dire at times? Yes

Is he a good football manager doing a good job? Ultimately YES!

Firstly, you can't compare Rodgers to our other managers. He has an outrageous squad comparatively and works in a training facility rivalling most in world football I would imagine. The others didn't have anything like this kind of assistance, so we might as well put win percentages to bed. He also failed to get us CL football two seasons in a row and has failed to achieve any form of European football this season. That, despite the fact many of the traditional big(ger) clubs have gone AWOL the last few years (Arsenal and Man Utd).

Having said that, I do believe the Fofana injury was a major reason we only just scraped a top half finish last season (we were 14th after the Roma game before playing a couple of relegated sides), as the confidence he brings to the team from a psychological perspective is crucial.

He obviously has a good relationship with the board, so isn't going anywhere soon. But if we're not looking close to challenging for Europe at all, then what's the point in having the 4th(?) highest paid manager in the league here? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

I am glad!

We don’t need new players really. What we do need is to get the players coming towards the end of their contracts signed up again. 

Whether they want to under the current manager or at all is another matter. 

We can’t seem to generate any interest that amount to offers in Tielemans for £25-30m. Last season he’d have gone for £60m easily. It just shows the rate of decline under ……… (plus of course, the fact Youri now only has one year left on his deal)

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

I'm really not sure how the lack of transfer activity is Rodgers fault? It's not his job to sell the players, he can't make it happen and he has no control over finding the money to buy new ones. 

100%. He will be just as frustrated with this as us. Possibly more so. 

27 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Firstly, you can't compare Rodgers to our other managers. He has an outrageous squad comparatively and works in a training facility rivalling most in world football I would imagine. The others didn't have anything like this kind of assistance, so we might as well put win percentages to bed. He also failed to get us CL football two seasons in a row and has failed to achieve any form of European football this season. That, despite the fact many of the traditional big(ger) clubs have gone AWOL the last few years (Arsenal and Man Utd).

Having said that, I do believe the Fofana injury was a major reason we only just scraped a top half finish last season (we were 14th after the Roma game before playing a couple of relegated sides), as the confidence he brings to the team from a psychological perspective is crucial.

He obviously has a good relationship with the board, so isn't going anywhere soon. But if we're not looking close to challenging for Europe at all, then what's the point in having the 4th(?) highest paid manager in the league here? 

No, you're much better off picking whatever arbitrary measure you can find that illustrates the point you want to make as a form of confirmation bias  

• Like 4